Newp: VB Victoriatus and a virtual tray of victoriati

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by red_spork, Dec 16, 2017.

1. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I recently picked up yet another victoriatus, bringing the count to 11 in my collection. This variety with VB is one of the more common signed varieties but the meaning of "VB" has been debated by numismatists for several years and there's still no clear answer. Traditionally, "VB" has been taken to either be a reference to the type having been minted in or near the city of Vibo Valentia or a reference to a treasury official of the gens Vibia. The Vibo Valentia interpretation is problematic because the city was not named Vibo Valentia until it was made a Roman colony in 194 B.C. and hoard evidence places these victoriati a decade or more earlier, having been minted sometime around the introduction of the denarius system circa 211 B.C., at which time the city still used its Greek name of Hiponnion. The Vibia interpretation is tempting but simply not provable and the VB could equally stand for the little-known city of Vibinum or any number of other things.

Cr095.1a-1200px.jpg
    Roman Republic AR Victoriatus(17 mm, 2.54g, 7h). Anonymous("VB" series). ca. 211-208 B.C. Uncertain mint(traditionally, Vibo Valentia). Laureate head of Jupiter right. Border of dots / Victory standing right, crowning trophy with wreath; VB ligate on exergue between. ROMA in exergue. Line border. Crawford 95/1a; BMCRR Italy 233; Russo RBW 389

As this is victoriatus number 11 and it's been a while since I shared multiple victoriati in a single post, I put together a virtual tray with all my victoriati as an interesting example of the wide variety of styles associated with these coins, many of which were minted at field mints across Italy, Sicily and Spain during the war with Hannibal.
    VirtualTray.JPG

IDs(working left-to-right and top-to-bottom):
    1. Cr. 53/1, anonymous, Rome mint
    2. Cr. 83/1a, spearhead, Apulia(southeast Italy) mint
    3. Cr. 67/1, anonymous, Sicilian mint
    4. Cr. 70/1, anonymous, Sicilian mint(But probably different mint than no. 3)
    5. Cr. 90/2, anonymous, uncertain mint
    6. Cr. 95/1a, VB, uncertain mint(traditionally, but probably not actually, Vibo Valentia)
    7. Cr. 93/1a, MP, uncertain mint(traditionally, Metapontum)
    8. Cr. 92/1b, anonymous(in the style of "CROT" issues), uncertain mint(traditionally, Croton)
    9. Cr. 105/1, pentagram, Etrurian mint
    10. Cr. 106/1, staff, Etrurian mint
    11. Cr. 159/1, fly, Rome mint

Of course, please share anything relevant. I'd be especially interested to see your virtual trays of similar coins from multiple mints

Curtisimo, TJC, akeady and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very, very nice collection. Obviously, some of the die cutters had more artistic talent than others. The portrait on number 10 is very well done. All in all, an interesting collection. Congratulations.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    rrdenarius likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great addition and lovely tray, congrats.

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

What a fantastic comparative group! I'm pleased to present my rare subtype of 44/1, where the lines below the shield are indeterminate between skirt and greaves:
    Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 6.18.38 PM.jpg

Oh, you want a reference for that subtype? Erm... well... let's call it subtype SA1.:shy: (Distinctiveness & rarity confirmed by @red_spork himself!)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Curtisimo, David@PCC, TheRed and 7 others like this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a great virtual tray... the variety of styles is really brought across when they're all presented together.

7. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Great collection of victoriati, Spork!

8. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great collection @red_spork and impressive pictures!
    I have a couple of very nice VBs, but one is a bit off center and the other not fully struck.
    Feb 13 2016 004.JPG
    Feb 13 2016 009.JPG

9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wonderful collection!

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice collection!

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That s a GORGEOUS collection @red_spork !!! Both of the Etrurians are my favorites from your group... but I just like them ALL!

I only have a few:

RR Victoriatus after 211 BCE Jupiter Victory Trophy VF Craw 53-1 Syd 83.jpg
    RR Victoriatus after 211 BCE Jupiter Victory Trophy VF Craw 53-1 Syd 83

To lazy to re-shoot, but THIS one has a PIG on it!
    upload_2017-12-17_7-24-38.png
    RR Victoriatus 206-195 BCE AR 16-5mm 2-61g Jupiter r Victory crowning trophy sow r in ex ROMA Syd 253 Russo RBW 554 Cr 121-1

RR Anon AR Victoriatus 211-206 BC Jupiter Dioscuri  FINE S 49 Cr 44-1.jpg
    RR Anon AR Victoriatus 211-206 BC Jupiter Dioscuri FINE S 49 Cr 44-1

BIG Flan:
    RR Anon AR Victoriatus 211-206 BC Jupiter Dioscuri S 49 Cr 44-1.jpg
    RR Anon AR Victoriatus 211-206 BC Jupiter Dioscuri S 49 Cr 44-1

FOURREE???
    upload_2017-12-17_7-27-42.png
    RR Anon AE Victoriatus after 218 BCE Rome mint Ex RBW Anon Jupiter Victory crowning trophy Craw 44-1 Syd 83 Sear 49 Fouree

A STAR is born:
    RR Anon 211-206 BCE Victoriatus STAR Very Rare Sear 49 Syd 233a Craw 105-1.JPG
    RR Anon 211-206 BCE Victoriatus STAR Very Rare Sear 49 Syd 233a Craw 105-1 (Pentagram filled in to make star)

12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Magnificent virtual tray

My complete collection of victoriati consists in just one, and is a "VB"

[​IMG]
    Republic, Victoriatus Minted circa 211-206 BC
    Head of Jupiter right
    Victory and trophy. ROMA at exergue, linked V and B in field
    3.11 gr
    Ref : RCV #51

Q

13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice! I've never seen such an extensive set of victoriatii.

Draft saved Draft deleted