The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

New sibling

My first born will be 32 months when my 2nd will be born. I’ve brought her a couple of “big sister” books. Does anyone have any ideas or things they did to help the transition of a new sibling? I was hoping to get a gift from the baby to his sissy but not sure what! TIA x

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
20+ Similar Discussions Found
6 Comments
Oldest First
TheIncubatorMomLady

First off, congratulations! We have an almost 1 year old in addition to our 2.5 year old. Something that has helped us over the last year is setting aside specific time with just you and the older child so they still get some of that undevided attention. Ita important for them to know that just because there is a new baby they are still your baby too. Books about being a big sibling are great. Qe had a Daniel Tiger one that was a hit. Teaching the concepts of "gentle touches" was critical as well. I think a 2.5 year old should adjust pretty well to a new sibling as they are likely developing some independence :)

A
Aleznat
@TheIncubatorMomLady,

thank you! Xx

5-peaseinapod

We do sibling gifts from baby. With our second we got a bunch of art supplies for me to use with our oldest during 1on1 time. With our third we got them lego sets. For our 4th we got them little baskets with candies, logic games and silly dollar tree stuff and the toddler got a new truck i think.

Take time each day after baby is born to spend time with big sister ALONE. Kids understand action more than words so showing them theyre still important is much more helpful than saying anything.

A
Aleznat
@5-peaseinapod,

Great thank you!

S
SMinime

Same! Mine will be 32 months old when this one comes in two weeks. We’ve been reading books

Advices I got:

- when toddler meets baby, have the baby laying in crib not on your arms.

- include toddler in baby activities such as diaper changing or playing etc.

- never blame the baby “I can’t play I have to feed the baby” is a no. Instead “yes I want to play, in 5 min we’ll play, help me first look for xxx (game related)” etc etc.

- the babies are hungry (her doll too), let’s feed them

- tell the toddler how your baby feels about him/her. “She laughs with you, you are funny/ she really loves it when you sing/ you are sweet” etc etc.

- if toddler wants a paci, let her have it. It’s better than stealing babies one. It’s just a phase

- the toddler is also a baby, just a bigger baby not that small like baby sister. Telling them they are big could be a lot of pressure.

- have one to one time every day with toddler. 15 min-60 min. Whatever works.

I can’t remember any more. I won’t be perfect and some other things might work too. But I’ll try

futuredriven

I got a gift from my sons sister for him. I went to build a bear and got a best big brother bear for him with a super hero cape. I also got him a big brother super hero cape and mask that my mom dressed him in when we came home from the hospital. He had it on meeting her for the first time and that’s when he received the bear. It was very sweet! It was important that he felt included in the welcoming the baby home.