The views expressed in community are solely the opinions of participants, and do not reflect those of What to Expect. Learn more about our guidelines
Just so you know, What to Expect may make commissions on shopping links on this page.

Head support for graco car seat?

Hi everyone. Are you supposed to use any head support for a graco car seat when baby is a newborn? I’m assuming no but I see a lot of people do it. It’s okay to use a towel though? This was my son coming home. Thought he looked so uncomfortable. TIA

Like Love Hug Funny Sad Wow
20+ Similar Discussions Found
13 Comments
Oldest First
kittensaver20

And I know the bow tie didn’t help anything

d
dreambig527

my graco came with one? weird.

I think they say you shouldn't add anything to the seat but I personally would get something just bc you want support.    You could contact Graco and ask too.

denisemr066
I think I have the same carseat as you! LOL. My boyfriend (who has a 10 year old) told me that didn't look like enough support around the head. We found these at walmart for like $8.00 that I think we are going to use just for the first couple of weeks. I also read you can roll up a receiving blanket and put it around their head, but that really doesn't seem same. FTM here, so I don't really know!
Show 3 Previous Comments
denisemr066
@mommakm16,

Why would they sell these if they aren't safe? It's just ridiculous! There are tons of them, but I googled what you said and you're right! You aren't supposed to add anything to the carseat as it can change the way it performs in a crash. Ugh, being a parent is so confusing!

kittensaver20

Well it came with a little something but... he looks uncomfortable to me! Well it’s not like his head slumped forward or anything. I’d rather be safe that comfy!

kittensaver20

Thanks everyone. I won’t add anything. He only looked this uncomfortable for about a week.

S
SpilltheBeans1
Cute baby by the way!! You should never add anything that didn’t originally come from the car seat. But rolling up receiving blankets and tucking them around the head is the best. 90% of parents do not use car seats correctly. Go to your nearest fire station. They will help you for free make sure you are doing it right! 
kittensaver20
@SpilltheBeans1,

I have an appointment on the 16th. But you know my husband swears the last time we went they installed our infant car seat wrong! They used anchors for the middle and our Manuel says you can’t, you have to use seatbelt. Really disturbed by that!

S
SpilltheBeans1
Cute baby by the way!! You should never add anything that didn’t originally come from the car seat. But rolling up receiving blankets and tucking them around the head is the best. 90% of parents do not use car seats correctly. Go to your nearest fire station. They will help you for free make sure you are doing it right! 
j
jen815k
Looks like you got your answer about not adding any after market products! But rolled receiving blankets along the side of them are ok for head support. 

Find a CPST to help with car seats. MOST police/firestations DO NOT have one. They will "try" to help but they are more than likely not trained. Just like staff at the hospital are more than likely not trained.  

Safekids.org you can find a local CPST