IGNORED

Neo Geo Pocket Colour

Elseb

NeoGeo-Pocket-Color.jpg

I was just wondering if there are any fans of the handheld here? I've had one for a few years now and I've just started collecting the PAL releases, going to take a while and cost a fair bit, mind you. What are your favourite games? Mine is Gal Fighters and i'm currently after a boxed copy but it's going to cost me just under £100. :-\ Oh and that joystick is heavenly.

I picked up one of those blister packs with the eight games included almost a decade ago now! Lovely little machine and the golf game that came bundled is probably responsible for my love of Everybody's Golf on Vita.

I used to have one, not actually sure if I still do. I'll have to go look. I bought it on the original release which was a little bit before the first GBA came out, I was so impressed with it at the time as it seemed a real step-up for handheld gaming despite the dark screen.

Great little console. I bought one at a computer fair before they started withdrawing them from sale here and went on to buy a few more in different colours. Back then I had a contact who could get me any of the games for fairly cheap. Wish I took more advantage of it when I could. I've got 27 complete games for it and sometimes when me and the gf are on a long journey on a train, plane or coach we'll take two NGPCs, a link cable, a couple of games and a flash cart.

Gals Fighter is an excellent game. I had two complete copies of that for some reason and gave one to my brother when I sold one of my consoles to him.

Another reason the NGPC holds great memories for me is that I met one of my best friends while browsing the NGPC selection in Tower Records in Piccadilly. I was returning a non-working copy of King of Fighters R-2 and the remaining games were a terrible selection. We both swear they had a copy of Reversi in there, which we both avoided because well, it was Reversi.

One of my consoles (the smaller version) I bought on eBay and came with a complete copy of Rockman Power Battles which was a result.

Card Fighters Clash is easily the best game on the system. I put about 100 hours into both versions of that. Match of the Millennium is probably the next best game. So much to do. Both Metal Slugs are great as is the aforementioned Gals Fighter.

I've also got an NGPC->Dreamcast cable which was amazing at the time, even though all you could do with it was unlock stuff. I think I've used it twice.

I have just paid an obscene amount for cotton Fantastic night dreams. Suppose if I'm going to collect the games, might as well get the rare ones out of the way. Need to get a boxed copy of gals fighters next.

My favourite is Picture Puzzle :D

Played it every night for a good few months. Best Picross game ever.

The Sonic game is a nice little curio but it's a bit shit, and I'd love to get into Cardfighters Clash but I haven't got a clue what's going on tbh. Nice console though. The screen is horrendous but I love the shape and the little d-pad stick thing.

Yeah loved mine first time round and thought getting one might be fun for the daily commute, certainly make a change from iOS in app purchase fests.

I'm not worried about getting boxed or UK versions of games just a nice little selection, really looking forward to playing Neo Turf Masters that's a little gem of a game.

Picture puzzle is actually quite rare in uk boxed form. I had one on uk launch and loved how the SS and ff games were based on the hyper64 versions. Kof r2 I must have played 500hrs on easy. Lovely little machine and apparently it's CPU is commonly used in a fridge!

Prototype cart of magician lord was found last year too. And windjammers/Ikari warriors is out there somewhere.

A lot of later mvs carts such as metal slug 3 have ngpc carts inside soldered to the main pcb just to use the spare parts (rom chips) up.

KOF R2 is worth it then? I was looking at it last night and I wasn't sure whether to get it straight away.

Faselei was a neat little strategy game. I paid over the odds for an unboxed copy of it on eBay maybe just a year or so after the demise of the device in the UK.

Did get snk v capcom on release and loved the controls and visuals. The neo geo cup soccer game wasn't too push either. Bit like old skool kick off.

Still have mine and occasionally the 8 year old in the house expresses an interest as it is neither Sony or Nintendo branded and therefore a curious mystery.

One which I'm keen to maintain!

I love the NGPC, and I'd definitely buy one with a backlight. There's also semi-regular development on a modern flash cart for the system (http://www.flashmasta.com/), which would be nice for playing the English translation of CFC 2... so much temptation.

The SNK vs Capcom games are the bestest imo, but the NGPC has loads of good games. Thinking about it, the thing I most love about the NGPC, the thing that always brings a smile to my face when I think about it, is the built-in horoscope system. So whimsical, SNK!

Great Neo Geo pocket memories, card fighters clash 2 players in the pub with a beer and a burger (weatherspoons opened here in 1999) that lovely clicky joystick. I bought most of the main titles as they were released . Ahh great times!

In recent years I've only added a few cardboard box games, but you can't beat the clamshell ones!

post-234-0-73199300-1386442415_thumb.jpg

Bought my first NGPC from Lik-Sang when I was at Uni (2002/2003 I guess). I still have it - it's the one I stuck a front light on. I've got a few now. I was collecting UK clamshells for a while, but decided I was happy with just playing the cart-only games. I've got a few boxed UK and a few boxed JAP games, but most of mine are now cart-only. Seems like the UK clamshell prices have gone up a bit since I sold up. I've got my games collection listed here. These are the consoles I currently own:

ngpcs.jpg

I'll be honest, it isn't fantastic. It does make games playable at night, though. The main problems are losing the bottom couple of rows of pixels, inconsistent lighting at the bottom of the front light (where the plastic slopes), some horizontal light banding (possibly something I've done wrong), washed out colours and just the general difficulty in keeping it mark-free and dust-free. I'd love to see how those done by people who have modded many differ from my attempt.

If anyone fancies a go, I've got a few front lights and other bits and bobs I can throw into a kit.