Enthused

Apr 25, 2018
Panzer Saga alone would make this worthwhile, many times over. I'm really hoping that the Saturn mini does eventually come out, and that the game list is at least 30 games. The value would be absolutely insane.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Arcade at Home Exerpeince:
- Die Hard Arcade
- Fighters Megamix
- Sega Rally Championship
- Virtua Cop
- Virtua Fighter 2

Fan Favourites:
- Dragon Force
- Panzer Dragoon
- Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- Shining Force III

Sonic Team:
- Burning Rangers
- NiGHTS into Dreams...
- Sonic 3D Blast
- Sonic Jam
- Sonic R

Third Party Support:
- Guardian Heroes
- Mega Man 8
- Radiant Silvergun
- Resident Evil
- Saturn Bomberman

For Japan, take off the Sonic games for Grandia, Sakura Wars and Sakura Wars 2.
Great list. Would buy.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Considering they are releasing the Sharp Cyber Stick along with the Mega Drive Mini 2, I think the precedent has been set for a release of the Virtual-On twin sticks as an accessory for the Saturn Mini. I'd take that over the Stunner (which would likely be more like a Wiimote in a Stunner form factor.)

OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
First of all I would like to say that english isn't my native language and sometimes my writing can be a little confusing and have some errors... but anyway...
The reason for doing this thread was to show that Sega Saturn had a good library even missing some of the great games that are Japan only.
My objective was to take all the lists posted to make some kind of idea of what a western version of a Saturn Mini should have as a lineup with minimum effort from Sega. That's why I said "no new translations" and "can you finish the game without knowing japanese"? If you can, sure, add to your list.
Now I'm compiling the lists to do a "Most recurring games list". As I stated before, if the list has more than 20 games I will ignore the games that are listed beyond that. That's why I'm asking all these people to adjust their lists: to build a final list I will follow the rules.

There are some inconsistencies that need to be corrected. Of course I won't bother asking anyone who was trolling to correct anything, people can have fun too. So, let's start:

- If your list has only "Darkstalkers" it will be automatically changed to "Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge" (the first game of the series in Sega Saturn).

- All Beyond Oasis in the lists will be changed to The Legend of Oasis

Both of you listed Christmas Nights as a solo game. I'm considering it as a Bundle/Unlockable content. Since both of you have Nights already in your lists, you can change the Nights vote to Nights + Christmas Night and please select another game if you want to. There's no problem if you don't want to change.

Vandal Hearts is a RPG that is only in japanese in Sega Saturn. Can you select another game?

You had in your list Thunder Force IV but it's a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game, did you mean Thunder Force V or Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 - a compilation that has it included?

Sakura Wars
Sakura Wars 2
Sakura Wars 1 and 2 are adventure/rpg games in Japanese. A game that someone who isn't fluent can't finish without a guide, for example. Yes, I know that there's a fan translation for the first one but the idea was to write lists where the games are already in english or the language isn't mandatory to finish it. Would you mind changing these 2 for another games?

Being able to include Japanese releases would change things immensely.
Actually you can add japanese games if there's no need for the player to know japanese to play, like a RPG or Adventures games. For example, you can add The King of Fighters 95' but not Suikoden or Rockman Adventures, for example. Also, your list has more than 20 games. Could you please edit your list to only 20 games?

Aight so my list
- Panzer Dragoon 1, 2 and Saga
There are 22 games in your list, could you please change it? Panzer Dragoon trilogy counts as 3 different games.

Sure it's a Shmups mini but they're all Saturn games !
These are great games but can you please edit your list to only 20?

- Policenauts (with English translation)
- Shin Megami Tensei - Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS translation)
- Shining Force III (with official translations of part 2 & 3)
Those are 22 bangers, no filler.
Your list is great but let's not forget that there won't be any new translations in this release. The mini has to be 20 games that Sega could bring without (re)translating anything. Japanese games are allowed but only if knowing japanese isn't mandatory to finish the games (For example, no Policenauts translation but a japanese action game can enter the list). So could you please edit your list?

Panzer Dragoon 1,2,Saga
Clockwork Knight 1,2
Virtua Cop 1,2
Bug 1,2
Can you edit your list to only 20 games? I know that some of the sequels are great but you have 26 games in your list.

-----------------------------------------------------

I think that's all. Next Friday (July 29th) I expect to be able to post the final results of the 20 most recurring games in all the lists (yes, next week. I'm finishing this one week early). Even if the post is "Game X is all that I need" I will count as a vote. But " a Saturn mini without Game Y is weird" won't count as a vote. If you want to change your list, do it until the time is over.
Thanks!!!

Last edited:

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
- Die Hard Arcade
- Fighters Megamix
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
- Sega Rally Championship
- ManX TT
- Dragon Force
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei
- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- Shining Force III
- Burning Rangers
- Saturn Bomberman
- Sonic 3D Blast
- Sonic R
- Powerslave / Exhumed
- Guardian Heroes
- Radiant Silvergun
- Deep Fear
- Dark Savior
- The Story of Thor 2 / Legend of Oasis

The list of 20 games that appeared in more lists
OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
Time Over.

Since it would be a simple task to just write down the names of the games here, I just thought of writing about these games, but I can't express myself the way that I would like to in English and haven't played most of the games. Then I decided to search the english reviews at the time that these games were released. Of course, I selected only a few parts of the reviews since posting all them here complete would take too much time and work (and maybe would be boring to read for some people). I don't agree with some points of them (like "this isn't a serious game for a serious gamer" or "This is one the best Saturn's RPGs" and then give it a 6,5 because reasons...), but since EGM and Edge were some of the most important games magazines at that time, most of time I used them. I thought of posting youtube videos also but most of them are longplays or have very low resolution, so no.
Then I will post the final list with all the games that were mentioned in any list later in the day since I have to check and correct the name of some games.

Now let's see the 20 games that appeared in more lists:

20 . The Legend of Oasis ( The Story of Thor 2)
1996, Action RPG, Ancient, 1 Player

Game Fan (US): 90, 92, 94
So what if it isn't entirely in 3D or the graphics aren't all rendered and covered with layers of shiny chrome? I'll take this mixture of this good old fashioned 2D puzzle-solving and hand drawn, superbly animated graphics over your typical, glossy, "next generation"title any day. (...) I do have some complaints with Oasis (...)But the smooth play mechanics, the excellent dungeon design, and the brain-tweaking puzzles make this a superb quest. Though it's not always pretty, and it's never revolutionary, you are not going to find any better action/RPG anywhere in the 32-bit world. And while we enjoy this epic quest, let's not forget to take a moment of silence to pity the poor souls who inexplicably shun such masterpieces because they just "don't look like 32-bit".

Computer and Video Games (UK): 4/5
One of the things that puts most people off video game versions of Role Playing Games is the way that everything is so slow. Player characters normally need to move in turns and fight in a similar way; but Thor plays more like Zelda - real- time movement and fighting people as they go with moves more like a beat 'em up., as well having all the usual traits of a RPG. At the beginning of the game there's so much to do - you just have to follow a series of simple clues and commands - but after a while it slows down. There are times that you need to do a lot of wandering and exploring, which is where the non-fans will start to get bored and the real RPG players will start to enjoy themselves. The whole game is fairly easy-going, and is a good blend of action and strategy, and there's also a fair amount of play in it.
A great blend of action and adventure to appeal to more people than the average RPG ever will.

19. Sonic Jam
1997, Compilation/ Action, Sonic Team, 2 Players

Computer and Video Games (UK): 4/5
As well as having all the old Mega Drive Sonic games, there's the all-new 3D Sonic World mode as well. Using an enhanced version of the NiGHTS engine, it looks fantastic with no pop-up or slow down at all. There's also a bit of a game in there as well, with tasks set for Sonic to complete around the arena before the time limit is exceeded.
The chances to play all the games again without getting an old Mega Drive as well using all the new features and remixed modes is brilliant. It's also amazing how well the games have aged, especially the epic Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The collections of artworks, movies and music are great for fanatics, and it makes it one of the best bargains on the Saturn.

EGM (US):
These games are a bit outdated, but they are classics, and owning all the Sonic titles in one CD is pretty handy. Whatever you do, don't buy Sonic Jam for 3D world select screen! Buy it if you are looking for classic 16-Bit gameplay for everyone in the family.
8.5 Not only are there the old games in all 16-bit glory, but there's cool museums, sound and art libraries and Sonic info.
8.0 Two things that could've made Jam even better: more of the 3D world and upgraded graphics (a la Mario All-Stars, only for 32 Bits).
8.5 Replaying these classics in their original form is too much fun.

18. Die Hard Arcade (Dynamite Deka)
1997, Beat 'em up, Sega AM1, 2 Players

Famitsu 8/5/7/8

Next Generation: 4/5

Die Hard Arcade, a genuine hit in arcades, makes a perfect transition onto Saturn. Die Hard Arcade is best described as Final Fight 3D. Players don't have the degree of freedom or variety of moves as in, say, Virtua Fighter, but the arsenal of throws, punches, kicks and combos should please all but the most hard-core fighting fanatics.
The major complaint is the game length. It's quite possible, even on harder levels, tobreeze to the end in less than an hour.
Visually, the game is virtually identical to the arcade version, looking better than anything Sega's released since Virtua Fighter 2. Die Hard Arcade is designed for pure and simple action, and it delivers.

EGM:
While not the most difficult game in the world, you'll be treated to some funny, interactive cutscenes where you get one chance to avoid a fight: slam your fist into the punk in your way as you ruin down the hall. That scene cracked me up! Otherwise, Die Hard Arcade is NOT a serious game for serious gamers.
8.0 Imagine Virtua Fighter combined with Final Fight. I really liked this one. It does get repetitive at times, but most of the levels are different enough. The variety of weapons are cool, too.
7.0 Die Hard Arcade has many similarities with Virtua Cop - they both brought polygons to a formerly all two dimensional genre, they both are excellent arcade to home translations and they both have extremely limited replay value.
8.0 DHA is the slickest rip-off of Final Fight I've ever seen, You get loads of moves, cool bonus rounds, screen-shaking weapons. The game is kinda easy though - especially when you rack up a few dozen credits on the Deep Scan mini-game. The quirk enemies add personality to DHA, too.

17. Daytona USA
1995, Racing, Sega AM2, 1 Player

Edge (UK): 8/10
The game rough-and-ready looks (the classics symptoms of a rush job than evidence of Saturn's innate technical inferiority) would be acceptable if the track and the scenery were drawn to the horizon, but the crucial graphical weakness of AM2's conversion is that it blocks in huge chunks of scenery disturbingly late. (...)
So far, it looks like as if Ridge Racer has established an unassailable lead over Daytona. But that's without taking into account the most important criterion of all: gameplay. Devotees of the coin-op will be reassured to learn that the home version of Daytona has retained almost all of the features that made the original an arguably more substantial experience than Ridge Racer. (...) The artificial intelligence of Daytona's car is greatly superior to Ridge Racer's.
If you are expecting an arcade-perfect conversion, you'll be slightly disappointed, but if it's a fast thrilling racing game that you are after, Daytona USA has a great deal to recommend it.

EGM:
The frame rate isn't as good as it is in the arcades for obvious reasons. But the game burns rubber in a big way and delivers the same type of exciting racing experience. This is a good translation of the arcade classic, and it plays much better than the Japanese version that was rushed to market. Sega of America polished up the game and it really shines on the U.S. Saturn.
7.5 It's finally here, a surprise for everyone stateside. The quality of the game , mainly in the graphics, is quite noticeable from the arcade version. The scaling and scrolling of the tracks need more animations. It was disappointing to watch at first but when you get started you won't want to get off the wheel. The overall performance of this translation is well done. It needs some tweaking.

16. Shining the Holy Ark
1996, RPG (Dungeon Crawler),Sonic!, 1 Player

Famitsu: 8/8/8/8

Computer and Video Games: 4/5

Presented almost entirely in 3D, Holy Ark fully immerses the player. The game is viewed from the eyes of Arthur (you) at all the time. (...)
It's a bold move creating an RPG that is 100% real-time 3D, and the sacrifices are subtle but obvious to somebody who spends a lot of time with RPGs. (...) It's great to find that Holy Ark requires a lot of problem solving, in the form of maze-like dungeons and keen exploration. You need to work at Holy Ark to get into the story, as there are a few technical shortcomings. Stick with it, however, and you will be richly rewarded.
Despite its initially disappointing appearance, Holy Ark develops into a gripping adventure, Unique and often great, visual style. Intelligent use of music too.

EGM:
StHA is a solid RPG that plays much like the original Shining in the Darkness for the Genesis. It's a traditional, turn based game, 90% of which is set in maze-like dungeons, castles and forests (don't worry about getting lost - you get an automap). The first -person perspective (which moves in the steps, like the dungeon sequences in the original Phantasy Star) is a refreshing change from all the recent top-down, action oriented RPGs - especially since StHA's scenery looks so darn good.
6.5 Although Shining the Holy Ark was a decent RPG, I just couldn't get into it. Probably because the game played so darned slow.
8.5 This is the best Saturn RPG I have played yet. I love the 3D perspective as opposed to the top-down view of traditional RPGs. The story line is long and involved, but it tends to drag on sometimes. The graphics and the music are excellent. Highly recommended.
8.0 The game is like a little King's Field mixed with stock RPG battles and a great story line. Only the commando interface hurts, as you wade through tons of screens to heal yourself.

15. Cyber Troops Virtual-On
1996, Action, CRI, 2 Players

Famitsu 8/8/8/8

Edge: 8/10

The most common concern levelled at home versions of arcade games is that they often lack longevity, and Virtual on is no exception. The feeling with it is that after a couple of hours play against the CPU it's possible to see most of what the game has to offer. However. the excellent (and fast) split-screen two player mode more than compensates for this aspect and ensures that the title should last most gamers well into 1997. so at last some good news for fighting-game fans with a predilection for Japanese-styled robotic action. giving AM3 the opportunity to prop up Saturn sales at Christmas once more. If only Sega could show third party developers how to program the Saturn this competently, the ongoing conflict between its and Sony's machine might start to look less woefully one-sided.

EGM:
Okay, so the Saturn version isn't as good as the arcade but is a great game nonetheless The control was fine even with the control pad, but if you can get your hands with the dual stick, it'll be even more fun.
8.0 It frustrates me greatly to say that this game could've been fantastic.When talking about a straight port from the arcade, Virtual On is dead-on. My gripes lands in the original game design. It's too unbalanced. Almost everyone has homing attacks and this takes the skills out of the game.
9.0 Sega has done a grade-A job bringing this arcade hit home. VO is one the Saturn's most action- packed game. Combats demands some strategy thinking too, since each robot has its own strengths and weapons.
6.5 The mindless action is really not for skilled fighters, as the control and number of attacks are very limited.

14. Panzer Dragoon
1995, Rail Shooter, Sega (Team Andromeda), 1 Player

Famitsu 8/7/8/7

EGM:
Panzer Dragoon is simply the best game for the Saturn. It combines innovative gameplay (which controls wonderfully) with awe-inspiring visuals
8.5 Panzer Dragoon is simply a beautiful game that's a blast to play. Saturn owners should not pass this up.
8.5 If you haven't gotten your mitts on this game, get it now!
7.5 This game is just full of beautiful eye candy. The only drawback is that, as a shooter , it lacks a lot of weapons or power-ups.

Edge 8/10
As well as delivering luscious visuals and sumptuous sound , Panzer Dragoon succeeds as a satisfying shoot 'em up. It could better be described as the forebear to Space Harrier, taking all the elements of Sega's classy but limited into-on-screen blaster and exploring new directions in just about every respect.
It's easy to dismiss the shoot'em up at a time when a general 'onward and upward' feelings prevail throughout the games industry. But Panzer Dragoon proves that with a thoughtful approach, old fashioned (some might say outdated) game styles can still hold their own today.
Panzer Dragoon isn't a hugely complex enterprise in gameplay , but it does demonstrate the cream of japanese videogame design and flair. And, more
importantly, it's a thoroughly entertaining blast.

13. Dragon Force
1996, Strategy, Sega CS (JP and Europe), Working Designs (US), 1 Player

Famitsu 8/8/7/7

Gamespot 9.1 (Superb)

Dragon Force is one of those rare games that demands countless hours of attention, hours that pass by unnoticed as day turns into night, and night back into day. In fact, this game alone makes the Sega Saturn worth purchasing.
Large scale battles often show the weakness of an RPG, but in Dragon Force they're among the best moments. Gamers send forces of up to four generals (who, in turn, command up to 100 troops) out into the world to raid castles or take on roving bands of enemies. The castles themselves contain as many as ten generals and their respective minions.
Dragon Force balances role-playing and strategy elements perfectly, intermittently directing the war of the land through storyline segments. And the ending is a stunning and climactic spectacle to behold. The game also offers a great deal of replayability, since storylines differ, depending on which of the eight main leaders is chosen (each storyline takes roughly 40-50 hours to play through successfully). Admittedly, gamers may be considerably less motivated to set aside another large chunk of time after winning as the first character...but the play is addictive enough that they'll probably be dragged back for another go-around.

EGM:
Here's my problems with Dragon Force: it kept me from my work! This game is really awesome. I found myself having dreams of different strategies while I lay in bed or as I drove to and from work. Sad but true. Overall. Dragon Force is a must-buy for any strategy gamer.
9.5 I have played over 300 games this year, and I have to say that Dragon Force is my favorite one. I like it better than any N64 or Playstation game so far, and I came very close to giving DF a 10. The depth of the DF is unbelievable, with dozens of unique characters, a rich and involving story line and a simple, yet fun and thorough combat system.
9.0 DF is about as good as a strategy game can get. It took me five minutes to learn how to use its menus then I was off, leading my armies of mages, samurai and dragons into battle. Hours later, I was still playing (I've never seen a console strategy game this addicting). Although DF is, above all, a strategy game, it contains strong RPG elements.
8.0 For a person who doesn't like military sim titles, I was really taken aback by the quality of this title. The actual battle sequences are very entertaining to watch, especially when putting hundreds of warriors against each other I didn't enjoy the boring administrative qualities, but once past this hurdle, I was able to enjoy the action

12. Sonic R
1997, Racing,Traveller Tales / Sonic Team, 2 Players

Sonic R demonstrates Traveller's Tales Saturn expertises. Sonic Team's game design is complemented by an impressive array of colorful tracks features, such a pinball table. Sonic R may have arrived too late to make the Saturn a contender, but existing owners will appreciate it regardless.
Sonic R does have a high replay value, simply because the variety of routes in each course encourages exploratory play.
Ultimately, it's the lack of courses that prevents Sonic R from becoming the seminal outing its gameplay and visual build such solid foundations for. But if there's any game capable of reconciling Saturn owners after the disappointment of Sega Touring Car Championship, this is certainly it.

EGM:
Although there are only four main courses (and a couple of additional ones) this game is a blast to play. There are tons of secret paths and items in the game(some of which open up additional characters and courses), so it'll take a while for the players to see everything. The game grew up on me and if you give a chance, it'll probably grow on you.
8.0 There's no question about it - if a Sonic racing game had to be done, this is the way to do it.
8.0 Sonic R is one of those types of games that drive you nuts because it's so damn good, but it doesn't give you enough of what you want.. The five levels have enough to keep you coming back, but after beating them, I only wanted more. Great game, but it needs more tracks.
7.0 When you first play Sonic R, you'll probably be turned off by the awkward control of the racers (I actually prefer the digital pad in this one). Once you get used to it, you'll find a real solid game.

11. Radiant Silvergun
1998 (Japan only game), Shoot 'em up, Treasure, 2 Players

Famitsu 6/8/7/9

Gamespot 9.0

Radiant Silvergun was developed by Treasure (the legendary team of programmers responsible for old-school classics such as Castlevania 4, Contra-Hard Corps, and more recently Guardian Heroes, Silhouette Mirage, and Mischief Makers). Radiant Silvergun arrives as a fitting testament to the true power of the Saturn. Simply put, this is the finest example of the genre you will find on any platform, home or arcade, to date.
To call Radiant Silvergun the best shooter out of all the next-generation consoles is to do it an injustice. It is simply one of the best games, period.
This game is an absolute must-buy. Never has a shooter combined relentless, thoughtfully-designed action with such stunning graphics and sound. Mix in a moving storyline with exceptionally well-done voice acting (in Japanese) and beautiful real-time cutscenes, and you've got a shooter experience unmatched by any that have come before. Few games stay with you after you've turned the system off, but Silvergun does, and it's more powerful for it. The game has a polish and finesse worthy of a Ferrari, complete with a trunkful of secrets that only the best will discover. The true beauty of the game only reveals itself after numerous repeated plays. With an addictive gameplay, and the necessary incentives to keep you coming back, Radiant Silvergun makes you feel as if you've never really played a shooter before. It's a whole new experience.

Computer and Video Games: 5/5
The shoot 'em up that thinks it's a fighting game... No, an action/adventure game... No, an RPG. Or how about a shoot 'em up which redefines the shoot 'em up.
Chain combos. Hidden areas. Captivating plot.
In Radiant Silvergun, you get a season pass to some of the best places a video game has ever taken you. [The aesthetics] puts most games on Playstation or N64 to shame . Buy yourself a Saturn, and get it converted to play all imported games. Buy Radiant Silvergun, and rue the day that you ever doubt that Saturn can deliver. We've had more than we can handle this game on CVG, and that's saying something! This totally rocks!

10. Sega Rally Championship
1995, Racing, Sega AM3, 2 Players

Famitsu: 9/9/9/9

Game Pro (UK) 95%

Sega Rally takes your favorite bits from Daytona, mixes them gently with a touch of Ridge Raver and produces one of, if not the, best game of the year. It may sound drastic, but once you play Rally, it'll hook you. You must play hard to win. In fact you must play hard if you're going to get anywhere in this race.
Sega Rally is the best game we've played all year, and put the Playstation's racers into perspective.

EGM:
If you hadn't had a reason to buy a Saturn, you do now. Sega Rally has all of the action and adventure of its arcade cousin. If you were disappointed with Daytona, you won't be with Sega Rally. It's a great game that will have the mud flying long into the night. It's a keeper and it's only available for the Saturn.
8.5 A great translation from the arcade. Daytona should have been done this way. The racing perspective is incredibly smooth. It's too smooth, though. You may have some trouble controlling your vehicle, but that shouldn't bother you. You'll get the hang of it after a few races. In the end, the game needs more tracks.

9. Shining Force III
1997, SRPG, Sonic! Software Planning, 1 Player

Famitsu: 9/7/8/8

EGM:
Shining Force III is awesome. If you are a fan of the series, don't even bother reading the rest of this review- just go buy the game now. It's not enough that this game has awesome graphics, an incredible smooth 3D engine, a great soundtrack and intense battles- it's also got the best story of any Shining Force game yet, and surprisingly good writing too.
8.5 Shining Force III is a gun and well made RPG, no doubt about it. The graphics are definitely above-average (especially those cool fight sequences), the music iz really nice and the story line really draws you in.
9.0 Shining Force III retains the exact gameplay that made the Genesis (and Sega CD) classics. And that's a good thing because I prefer this kind of strategy/RPG to the more complex FF Tactics/ Kartia variety. Here the story and RPG exploration plays a more prominent role than in those other games. And SFIII's story is very, very good. But without Scenarios 2 and 3 l, it's an unfinished story. So, Sega, sends us the rest.
9.0 Shining Force III takes everything that made the Genesis games great and pumps it to the next level. The 3D engine is great and the music and story (what a story!) are top notch. Kudos to Sega for doing such a nice job on the translation. The battles are perfectly balanced throughout, even at the end, and they are a lot of fun to play. Sega please give us scenarios 2 and 3!

Gamespot: 8.5
At first glance, Shining Force III sounds all too similar to Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics. However, there is one major difference: Shining Force III is infinitely more playable. Gone are the Tactics games' defense positioning, elevation or zodiac-determined damage systems, endless stats, and battle factors. While these extra factors are appropriate in the right doses, Shining Force III pleasantly distills the strategy down to the basic positioning and attacking, making for far-shorter and less-tedious battles.
The third game in the series does add a few new features to the mix, but they primarily serve as bonus features for the hard-core gamers. The largest new feature is the friendship system. Should two characters fight against a common foe or provide support for one another in battle, a friendship can develop. When placed next to a friend, characters' stats will temporarily rise based on the characters' respective classes.
It's been said before, and it'll have to be said again: Shining Force III is the kind of game that could've given Sega more of a chance had it not come out in the Saturn's beyond-final days. RPG fans will welcome Shining Force III with open arms and mourn the probable lack of the second and third scenarios in English. For those less well-versed in strategy games and looking for something a little less trying than Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force III is a good bet.

8. Saturn Bomberman
1996, Action, Hudson Soft, 1-10 players (and still supports online multiplayer!)

Famitsu : 7/6/7/7

EGM:
Bomberman is one of the best party games ever invented... period. It's franctiv, competitive and addicting. It's also so easy to learn, anyone can pick it up within moments. Saturn Bomberman, obviously, is the best version yet. I'm sorry but I have to say: This game is da bomb.
9.5 Another old-school game brought over to a next-generation system. The outcome: awesome. The one-player is pretty cool with the puzzle elements but let's face it - Bomberman is really about the multiplayer
9.5 The Saturn version is the best one yet, mainly because of its Eight - and 10 - player Modes. There's just something so perfect, so chaotic about trying to blow up nine other screaming people who are all crowded in front of one TV.
9.0 The Bomberman series has been one of the best in gaming, and the Saturn version is the latest and greatest in the series.

Cavg: 4/5
It's an easy enough mistake: assuming Bomberman has had his day. It's never too late to catch up what you've been missing- some of the best multiplayer action ever invented! (...)
Some unexpected , genuinely, cool drum and bass beefs up the soundtrack, while Hudson's graphic team have worked some beautiful effects into the backdrops. The finest version of this classics series that I ever played. Get it if you can.

7. Guardian Heroes
1996, Beat 'em up, Treasure, 1-6 Players

Famitsu: 9/5/6/6

Computer and Video Games: 93

The sheer variety of routes on offer here creates a gripping adventure - and I can't even read the plot on the version I played.! Vs. mode, while not serious as a fight game, is simply one the most OTT affairs you'll ever play! In every way, Guardian Heroes oozes hard-graft, genuine enthusiasm and a desire for playability. Superb stuff! Much more than just a side-scrolling beat 'em up, GH demonstrates the phenomenal power of the Saturn in handling masses of sprites; all possessing intelligent attacks patterns, jumping through three planes of depth, scaling from miniature to gigantic, as the viewpoint centres in then zooms out of the fray to convey the action. In other words, it's impressive. After you play a bit you 'll realise how special it really is.Guardian Heroes has got the depth and gameplay to match the spectacular graphics and sound. Ignore your initial reactions and take my advice- get it.
Sprite-based mayhem on a scale you never could have imagined! A brilliant scrolling beat 'em up!

EGM:
This is the best side scrolling fighting game that I've played since the Final Fight series. You can perform combos, you can cast magic spells, you can juggle the bad guys until they turned to mush. It's fantastic action!
7.5 Once a while a game comes along that makes the gaming-genre blend work. A mixture of fighting and side-scroller makes this one zesty from beginning to end. The story has a choose-your-own adventure feature at different points which adds variety. The two things that bugged me are the Vs. Mode (unbalanced) and the repetition when in battle.
8.0 Guardian Heroes blended the fighting action into a well rounded RPG that has multiple paths and endings depending on your selections in the game. I also liked the feature of our characters going up in level skill with experience. Guardian Heroes is a great title for players looking for a game little out of the norm. This one should not be missed!
8.5 This is a very innovative addition into the basic Final Fight class of games. Simply, this game is packed with a lot of gameplay and action! Some may find it too much like the Final Fight series, but there's a lot more to it.

6. Fighters Megamix
1996, Fighting, Sega (Sega AM2), 2 Players

Computer and Video Games: 5/5
The thing is, this is a game with so much to do that you will be learning for the rest of your life - literally. A few things that made the VF games so good are missing (rising attacks, staggers and so on) but overall this is such a good package it would be a terrible mistake to miss out on this. If you like fighting games in any way you'll realise that this is the best available by a long way, and if you have never seen the point before this is the game to convert you. DO NOT MISS THIS ONE!

The best home fighting game ever! Your life is not complete if you don't learn to play Fighters Megamix!

EGM:
True. It's one of the best fighters available for the Saturn, but as a game it falls short of spectacular. Let's just say that any scrub of a player should be able to conquer Fighters Megamix in one sitting. Besides the training, the other joy of Fighters Megamix is the multitude of hidden options and secret characters uncovered as you complete the various circuits
7.5 This game is a lot of fun to play with a bunch of characters and even more secrets. But even with that said I had trouble getting into this one except in 2 player mode.
8.5 Every mode in this game is fantastic. Now, fighting game juggling is fine, but Megamix goes overboard with it. And why do so many 3D fighters depends so heavily on button tapping combos? You can be guaranteed a certain degree of success by simple mashing on the buttons. Ugh. Still, it's a great fighter.
9.0 No matter your tastes in fighting games, there's no excuse for passing up Fighters Megamix. It packs the reserved thinking-man's combat of VF2, the flashy, button slaps antics of Fighting Vipers and the downright silliness of dozens of other bonus warriors from Sega's vast gaming universe. Some battles are unbalanced but that's a small price for such variety.

5. Virtua Fighter 2
1995, Fighting, Sega (Sega AM2/Sega Away Team), 2 Players

Famitsu: 9/10/10/10

Edge: 9/10

Where VF2 really overpowers Tekken is its longevity. Given sheer depth of play, Sega's game has an exceptionally steep learning curve, proven by the fact that the game is still a hit in japanese arcades a year after release.
In terms of faithfulness to the arcade original, VF2 gets closer than Daytona, Ridge Racer or just about anything else. Given that the VF2 coin-op is still among the most advanced CG hardware in the arcades this is an achievement in itself. Most importantly, though, this game is beautiful to look at, excellent fun to play and incredibly addictive.
State of the art.

Game Pro: 94%
Finally, a fighting game for the Saturn that feels and moves just like its arcade counterpart. Virtua Fighter 2 is a fighter's dream, and the fans of the original VF have much to rejoice about. Non-fans may also find the game addictive. This certainly is the game to have if you own a Saturn.
The wait is finally over! Virtua Fighter 2 is ready, willing and more than able to deliver all the fighting excitement we've previously only been able to see in the arcades. What a treat!

4. Burning Rangers
1998, Action, Sonic Team, 1 Player

Famitsu 8/8/8/8

Burning Rangers is yet another example of Sonic Team's creative clout in creating offbeat, engaging titles -it's a game packed with quirky original ideas and has been executed with immeasurable finesse. The firefighting action is a curious fusion of recognisable gameplay mainstays and the Sonic Team's own imaginative, idiosyncratic flourishes. From the Manga-inspired introductory animation, to the inspired use of sound and speech, Rangers proves to be a refreshingly unique experience.
One of the last truly major releases for the Saturn, Burning Rangers is a curtain call that perhaps epitomises Sega's ill-fated 32bit machine -while undeniably accomplished, it sadly arrives too late to rescue the fortunes of its host machine. Ultimately, Sega backed a 2D horse in a 3D race that has seen Nintendo and Sony's thoroughbreds win by a mile. Fortunately, when it comes to gameplay, Burning Rangers extinguishes any doubts anyone might have about Sega's ability to compete.

Computer and Video Games (4/5)
Burning Rangers has grown up on me in exactly the same way as NiGHTS did. For the first day I didn't know what was going on at all, the graphics looked ropey and it seemed very small and boring. But once I finished and realised how little of the game I'd actually seen, I really got into it.It's amazing when you come to play the game through the second time and realise that parts are different, but after that it changes every time, always giving you something different to do. True, the graphics do often look a mess, and they do slow down at times, but once you get into the game they're not important. As with NiGHTS, if you make the effort to get into it, and it does take some time, you'll see that Burning Rangers is magnificent.

3. Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Panzer Dragoon II Zwei)
1996, Rail Shooter, Sega (Team Andromeda), 1 Player

Famitsu: 9/8/10/8

Game Fan (US): 99, 98, 99

"PD2 is not just another blissful Saturn shooter, it's an event in the category that goes far beyond anything before it and should be treasured by each and every Saturn owner. The game is so replayable you may never put it down, and does so much, so right, that it scares me. Possibly the greatest shooter ever created."

"After seeing this and Dark Savior (in the same month, even), I have to say that anyone who still clinging to the opinion that the Saturn can't do #d is BLIND. PAnzer II has the best 32-bit environment I've ever seen , and more importantly, is an incredible game."

"The best game on the Saturn so far. Panzer Zwei is an indescribably flaming experience from start to finish with unbelievable cinematic graphics, pretty good music, and even atmosphere that no game I've ever played, save PD and its sequel, has captured before. You just have to buy."

EGM:
Sega's follow-up to their popular Panzer Dragoon is finally here, and the end result is quite impressive, First, you'll notice that the graphics are simply amazing. There are multiple pathways that you can choose, and depending on your choice, the dragon will vary. The levels are very cinematic. This game is a great one-shot. Sega has done an outstanding job with this game, but long-term playability is not here.
8.5 This is a sequel that has gone through some major improvements and can only be labeled as a title that pushes the envelope. I was impressed with the clarity of the graphics. One thing that can be said for the game: Panzer Dragoon II is nothing that you've ever experienced, both graphically and in terms of gameplay. The only drawback is the game took little time to finish.
8.5 Panzer Dragoon II truly makes the gamer feel if he/she is in a surreal chaotic environment of beautiful skies and snowy landscapes. The multiple paths gamers can choose throughout the levels are great- each one bearing on how the dragon will evolve. Overlooking the difficulty, Panzer Dragoon II Zwei is a definite must-have for any Saturn owner.
8.0 This is simply an awesome sequel. Visually the game is just a masterpiece. My one complaint is that the game seems a bit easy. Still, with multiple dragons, weapons and ends, it is sure to keep you playing. The challenge may be a bit low, but there is a ton to see and play. Everyone should try this one out!

2. NiGHTS into Dreams
1996, Action, Sonic Team, 2 Players

Famitsu: 8/9/9/8

Edge: 8

(...) But is NiGHTS a good enough game to accomplish all that Sega hopes to achieve with it? The answer is, unsurprisingly, not a simple one. There can be no doubt that the game is easily the most original and (with the possible exception of VF2 and Sega Rally) visually dazzling title seen on the Saturn to date. By contrast, a lot of time NiGHTS feels as if its gameplay has been made to fit within set of technological displays of competence, with good 3D, excellent texture mapping, total freedom of movement for characters, fast polygon movement - selling points for the Saturn around which a game has been fitted. Nights is an enigmatic game that the public might take to their hearts or might reject out of hand.

EGM:
I can't say that NiGHTS puts "Mario's N64 to bed", as Sega said in a release, but it is a great game with a cast of interesting characters.
8.5 The sensation of flight and speed is great. The levels are creatively drawn and are rich in detail and color. Those of you who like playing a game as quickly as possible just to get to the end will be disappointed with Nights (...). Those of you who must find every secret and play for high scores will love NiGHTS
8.0 Sure, NiGHTS graphics are nice, and the levels are richly detailed (...). But what NiGHTS boils down to is a side-scrolling platform game - without the platforms.
7.5 It's not a bad game, but it's just not my style of fun.

Game Informer: 8.5
It's really hard to compare this game to anything because there's nothing else like it. The graphic effects are a tribute to the power of the Saturn. The beautiful mirror, shading and texture-mapping effects make NiGHTS shine. Although the game keeps you on a path when flying, there are plenty of secrets and bonus areas to discover. Without the secrets the game is fairly short, and the bosses don't offer much of a challenge.

1. Panzer Dragoon Saga (Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG)
1998, RPG, Sega (Team Andromeda), 1 Player

Famitsu: 8/9/9/9

Edge: 9/10

Panzer Dragoon Saga retains its predecessors' aesthetics, but adds a creative depth only SquareSoft games can currently rival. (...)
Panzer Dragoon Saga's gameplay is unquestionably engrossing, but superlatives can't do justice to its extensive FMV cutscenes. The introductory sequences alone last over 20 minutes, and have a cinematic quality that shames the work of almost every other developer Edge cares to mention. Their addition makes Saga complete, an RPG of true creative integrity. It's a tragedy that the Saturn's standing will ensure Team Andromeda's adventure, with a radically different approach to FFVII, will enjoy a fraction of its rival's success.

EGM:
Panzer Dragoon Saga is so utterly fantastic, I really don't know where to start. The graphics? Awesome. The music and sound effects? Awesome. The story line? Awesome. I can go on and on. Panzer Saga is just a unique RPG experience that must be played to be believed. At first I was skeptical. But as the excellent 10-minute long intro drew me in, I knew I was in for something mind blowing. Panzer is the first RPG I've played in a long time that has toned down the random encounters to a reasonable rate. Instead of methodically selecting menu options, you have to manage your time, position yourself correctly and strategize. This is my favorite 32-Bit RPG... yes, I think it's even better than the almighty Final Fantasy VII (blasphemy!). I can't recommend this game highly enough.
9.5 This is an absolutely brilliant RPG that is exceptionally innovative and addictive. Between the game's great aesthetics and extraordinary battle interface, this is a title that no RPG fan should miss.
9.5 Panzer Dragoon is one of the best RPGs I've ever played, and believe me I've played 'em all. . The sense of being in another world is magnified by the non-english dialogue, and the entire gameplay system is magnificently innovative and fun. The music is phenomenal and the battle system wreaks of style.
10 This game is hands-down my favorite RPG of all time. In fact, I like it better than Final Fantasy VII, mainly because the battles are way more interesting. In most other RPGs I mindlessly click through battles but in Panzer I'm drawn into nearly every one I fight. Buy it, you won't be sorry.

Gamespot: 9.2
Panzer Dragoon Saga has been called Sega's answer to Final Fantasy VII, but that is an unfair comparison. Panzer Saga, in its own way, is so much more than Squares' ultimate RPG. It is a worthy successor to a series that with each installment has grown in stature and scope. It is flawlessly executed, limited only by the hardware (and barely that at all) and medium. Unlike other recent RPGs, such as Parasite Eve and Grandia, Panzer Dragoon Saga is truly a "cinematic RPG." Wide-screen in vision and Technicolor at heart, you can only imagine where the next one will take us. It's almost fitting, in the twilight of the Saturn's years, that it should end as it began. Panzer was always the brightest example of what the Saturn had to offer, and this third and final chapter reveals what Team Andromeda was up to all along - to fulfill the legacy of Panzer Dragoon and deliver Panzer Dragoon Saga, possibly the finest RPG of 1998.

Last edited:

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
That's a dang good list, but I'd have replaced Saturn Bomberman with. . . the other Saturn Bomberman which I think is just called Bomberman?

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a solid list for a showcase of unique Saturn titles on a mini... mostly. I dunno about including Sonic Jam, just because ports of Mega Drive games in a Saturn mini feels silly. May as well include SEGA AGES or something. I guess the hub world and extras are all super cool, but it feels like the weakest of the bunch for the idea of a Saturn line-up.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
Surprised to see Virtual Hydlide on some lists... yea it was doggiedoodoo but it was definitely creepy and atmospheric

I couldn't play the game as a preteen because the treants scared the shit out of me

OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
That's a dang good list, but I'd have replaced Saturn Bomberman with. . . the other Saturn Bomberman which I think is just called Bomberman?
There are 3 Bomberman titles in Sega Saturn: Saturn Bomberman, Bomberman Wars and Saturn Bomberman Fight! You problably is talking about the Saturn Bomberman Fight... or not?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I would definitely pay a high price for that set of games.

I wouldn't put Sonic R near a top Saturn pile but overall that's list of very high quality games.

Honestly I have a hard time thinking of many more Saturn exclusives to replace it. Certainly there are a lot of games on the Saturn better than Sonic R that aren't on the list, but the vast majority of them have been ported to other platforms or collected in other ways, often with better performance. I think having the collection showcase specifically things that never left the Saturn is the right move, and Sonic R certainly qualifies.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I have a hard time thinking of many more Saturn exclusives to replace it. Certainly there are a lot of games on the Saturn better than Sonic R that aren't on the list, but the vast majority of them have been ported to other platforms or collected in other ways, often with better performance. I think having the collection showcase specifically things that never left the Saturn is the right move, and Sonic R certainly qualifies.

Sonic R has been ported to the PC at least.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MNLHvYCt9c

Aside from that however, Sonic R is a technical masterpiece on the Saturn. Very few games can even come close to what it pulled off on the hardware. I think that for historic context makes it an important title for a compilation.

If I was going to axe anything, I'd dump Panzer Dragoon. 2 makes the first game kinda irrelevant.

For broader international considerations I'd suggest Sakura Wars. That was *huge* in Japan. (But then I'd also like a translation on that too.)

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
If I was going to axe anything, I'd dump Panzer Dragoon. 2 makes the first game kinda irrelevant.

That's true but you might as well keep the three of them together for posterity in the collection. Having them all in one place would be worth the price of the mini Saturn all by itself, really.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
You got a great taste, ERA! Only thing I don't feel is saturn bomberman (for a single player just doesn't cut it). Even the stuff I don't love, like Radiant Silvergun, Fighter's Megamix (I'd rather put Last Bronx) or even Burning Rangers, I see their greatness.
Marvelous thread, I wish Sega would see it and act.

the number of votes of each game
OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
I had to check some names but now that everything is right, I can post the list of all games with respective numbers of votes. Maybe next month I will do a similar thread about a Dreamcast mini or about a Game Boy Color 25 Years Special Edition (or maybe I won't...) because I really liked to check the results and seeing the changes in top 20.
More than 135 games were mentioned (but I will list only the ones with valid votes). First is the number of votes and then the name of the game. Thanks everyone who participated!!!

45 Panzer Dragoon Saga
43 Nights into Dreams (which 7 votes in a bundled version with Christmas Night)
39 Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
37 Burning Rangers
37 Virtua Fighter 2
34 Fighter's Megamix
32 Guardian Heroes
32 Saturn Bomberman
30 Shining Force 3
28 Sega Rally
26 Radiant Silvergun
26 Sonic R
24 Dragon Force
23 Panzer Dragoon
21 Virtual On
18 Shining in the Holy Ark
17 Daytona USA
16 Die Hard Arcade
16 Sonic Jam
15 Legend of Oasis
--------------- End of TOP 20 ---------------
14 Astal
13 Clockwork Knight 2
13 X-men vs. Street Fighter
12 Sonic 3D
10 Dark Savior
10 Exhumed/Powerslave
9 Street Fighter Alpha 2
9 Virtua Cop 2
8 Bug!
8 Clockwork Knight
8 Last Bronx
8 Magic Knight Rayearth
8 Mega Man 8
8 Mr Bones
8 Virtua Cop
7 Darius Gaiden
7 Street Fighter Zero 3
6 Bug Too!
6 Deep Fear
6 Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
6 Shinobi Legions/Shinobi X
6 Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (Darsktalkers 3: Vampire Savior)
5 Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
5 Baku Baku Animal / Baku Baku
5 Batsugun
5 Shining Wisdom
4 Daytona USA CCE
4 Marvel Super Heroes
4 Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
4 Resident Evil
4 Thunder Force V
4 Tomb Raider
4 Galactic Attack/ Layer Section
3 Blazing Dragons
3 Christmas Nights
3 Decathete /Athlete Kings
3 Elevator Action Returns
3 Enemy Zero
3 Golden Axe The Duel
3 The House of the Dead
3 Mega Man X4
3 Mystaria : Realms of Lore/Blazing Heroes/ Riglord Saga)
3 Quake
3 Silhouette Mirage
3 Soviet Strike
2 Battle Garegga
2 Castlevania Symphony of the Night
2 Cyber Speedway
2 D
2 Daytona USA CE
2 Dodonpachi
2 Fighting Vipers
2 Hyper Duel
2 Lunacy
2 ManX TT Super Bike
2 Scud: The Disposable Assassin
2 Sengoku Blade
2 Soukyugurentai
2 Steep Slope Sliders
2 Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
2 Virtua Fighter Remix
2 Virtual Hydlide
2 X-Men: Children of the Atom
1 3d Lemmings
1 After Burner 2
1 Alien Trilogy
1 All Star 1997 Featuring Frank Thomas
1 Batman Forever
1 Battle Monsters
1 Blast Chamber
1 Blast Wind
1 Bulk Slash
1 Bust A Move 2
1 Cotton 2
1 Cotton Boomerang
1 Croc
1 Crypt Killer
1 Dungeon & Dragons Tower of Doom (Unreleased game as a standalone. But part of Dungeon & Dragons Collection - Japan Only)
1 Dead or Alive
1 Death Crimson
1 Death Tank Zwei (Bonus hidden game included in Duke Nukem 3D)
1 Detana Twinbee Yahoo! Deluxe Pack
1 DonPachi
1 Duke Nukem 3D
1 Falcom Classics
1 Guardian Force
1 Hexen
1 Iron Man/ X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal
1 Johnny Bazookatone
1 Keio Flying Squadron 2
1 Assault Suit Leynos 2
1 Myst
1 Parodius Forever With Me
1 Revolution X
1 Road Rash
1 Salamander Deluxe Pack
1 Sega Ages: Power Drift
1 Sega Touring Car
1 sega worldwide soccer 97
1 Sexy Parodius
1 Shienryu
1 Sim City 2000
1 Street Fighter: The Movie
1 Street Fighter Zero 2' (AKA Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold)
1 Strikers 1945 2
1 Strikers 1945+
1 The Crow: City of Angels
1 The King of fighters 95
1 Three Dirty Dwarves
1 Thunderforce IV* (the game was part of Thunder Force: Gold Pack 2).
1 Snatcher ("Even if there wasn't such a rule in the OP, would never translate just to be a jerk")
1 Virtua Fighter Kids
1 Warcraft 2
1 Wipeout 2097
* Rayforce* (The Rayforce port for Sega Saturn is called Galactic Attack/ Layer Section. so the point was moved to it)

Last edited:

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I would say the only actual problem I have with the list is it doesn't have a 2D show case game (Guardian Heroes I guess?), which is kinda what the Saturn was known for. I know the Marvel games were probably the best example of that though, which is obviously a licensing problem. I guess Dark Stalkers would have been the next best thing?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For even just Sega-owned exclusives that came out in the West, I would pick Clockwork Knight 2, Shinobi Legions/Shinobi X, Lunacy/Torico, and Dark Savior over it. Like Sonic Spinball on Genesis, I get that Sonic R has some diehard fans but I was always quite disappointed with it.

OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
You put Nights as a 1 player. It has a 2 player mode.
Oops... and I checked everthing a lot of times. Corrected. Thanks!

I would say the only actual problem I have with the list is it doesn't have a 2D show case game (Guardian Heroes I guess?), which is kinda what the Saturn was known for. I know the Marvel games were probably the best example of that though, which is obviously a licensing problem. I guess Dark Stalkers would have been the next best thing?
Maybe Astal and other 2D fighting game. I don't know but I feel that a 2D platform game is also missing here.
And also... Deep Fear.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Are you daring to slander Saturn Bomberman??
I would definitely pay a high price for that set of games.

There are lots of Saturn exclusives that never left the system (at least in the US). Three Dirty Dwarves, Winter Heat, Magic Knight Rayearth, Iron Storm, Dark Savior, Steep Slope Sliders just to name a few. Even Shining Wisdom which I don't love but at least it'd be putting all the Shining games on the collection.

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
That's a great list of great games. I would easily pay $200 for a saturn mini if it came with those.

Astal just missing the cut by one vote pains me dearly, however. That's a wonderful, beautiful game.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
That's a great list of great games. I would easily pay $200 for a saturn mini if it came with those.

Astal just missing the cut by one vote pains me dearly, however. That's a wonderful, beautiful game.
Well whenever it does happen, even if it is a Japan only device I feel confident Astal will be there no matter what.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Sonic R is definitely a diverse title, but I feel like it should be included because , even to people who dislike the IP, there's often this morbid fascination with them.

Amazing work OP. Would love if you did a Dreamcast variant of this thread.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
For even just Sega-owned exclusives that came out in the West, I would pick Clockwork Knight 2, Shinobi Legions/Shinobi X, Lunacy/Torico, and Dark Savior over it. Like Sonic Spinball on Genesis, I get that Sonic R has some diehard fans but I was always quite disappointed with it.

Of those I think I'd only put Dark Savior over it, and I'm a diehard Shinobi fan. Sonic R's ridiculous music has made it one of the few things routinely remembered from the system even by some people who never owned one, and I think it earns its place in a collection. The real solution is to just make it 25 games instead of 20.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic R earns its place by virtue of being the Saturn Sonic game even if it's not especially good and already has ports elsewhere. Just being able to put either of these Sonic artworks on the Saturn Mini box to get the average person's attention would go a long way.

sonic-r-2.png
sonic-r.png

The Saturn version of 3D Blast could probably do some lifting too... and maybe a bonus could be Sonic the Fighters!

Anyway, definitely looking forward to the DC version of the thread. Though it's a shame we can't include a small bonus in our lists like SEGA's done for the MD Mini and MD2 Mini. A Dreamcast Mini could be a fantastic excuse for a commercial release of Fish Life.

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
A modified Sonic Jam to serve as an optional HUB to access and engage with the other games (in lieu of the Genesis Sonic titles) would be kinda neat. (I'd still want a traditional menu screen, but this would be an interesting way to utilize what makes Jam a unique entry on the Saturn.)

OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
Anyway, definitely looking forward to the DC version of the thread. Though it's a shame we can't include a small bonus in our lists like SEGA's done for the MD Mini and MD2 Mini. A Dreamcast Mini could be a fantastic excuse for a commercial release of Fish Life.

I actually was thinking about it since the Andymcc question about Castlevania SoTN and the Dreamcast version of this thread will be a little more open to untranslated games and unreleased ones but, of course, it will be only a little more open.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Man I had no idea a formally list was being compiled. I feel like I missed out - great thread and great write up on the actual list, crpj31! Deserves to be in the OP and maybe a thread title update (just report your own post) - that list needs more discussion!

Like… I had no idea people liked burning rangers this much lol

OP
OP
crpj31

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
Man I had no idea a formally list was being compiled. I feel like I missed out - great thread and great write up on the actual list, crpj31! Deserves to be in the OP and maybe a thread title update (just report your own post) - that list needs more discussion!

Like… I had no idea people liked burning rangers this much lol
I didn't know how to update the thread title and then I just said to myself 'whatever' and then kept going. Thanks, I will ask the moderation to change the thread name.