• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
See the topic thread.

This is a must watch to get the full scope (and a pretty accurate ranking) of all of Konami shmups:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrlQQWNG1Hk

Despite nearly abandoning the genre aside from curiosities like Otomedius and the oddball comp every now and again, it would not be an understatement that shmups were the genre that built Konami. I'd say most retro game enthusiasts have at least some awareness of Gradius and its spin-offs, but Konami has so much more than that!

My personal favorites:

Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (1988, Arcade)

40fdc6e9-f509-48a7-94fc-341283e5ab55.jpg

www.youtube.com

Gradius 2 Music (BGM) - Stage 1 - Burning Heat

Best arcade game ever! Gradius 2 is pure awesomeness. it's hard and challenging! just the way I like it. And I will always remember the epic soundtrack...Gra...

Still my favorite Gradius game. Introduces a lot of series staples, stage themes and mechanically, while having a difficulty that is "just right" (still very hard lol) compared to the insanely punishing Gradius III. Be advised, there are actually TWO Gradius IIs, the other is an unrelated Gradius 2 on MSX. The game has a lot of ports, even a very competent (with liberties taken ofc) Famicom one using a special rom-mapper that even has digitized voice samples! Though I probably like the arcade one best, the pictured PC-Engine one is also a solid choice for first timers because of the bonus stage.

Xexex (1991, Arcade)

5d10d7befb110388eb53ce0f079500295a2465c5.jpg

www.youtube.com

XEXEX ゼクセクス BGM 012 Crystal Clear Stage 3 BGM (arcade game music)

BGM 012 Crystal Clear Stage 3 BGM (arcade game music)#arcadegamemusic

"Konami's R-Type", but it's honestly so much more than that. A real celebration of their arcade hardware coupled with really "out there" stage, enemy and boss design. It was poised for arcade greatness, but unfortunately released alongside Capcom's little-known arcade title, Street Fighter 2. This has a current release on modern consoles inexplicably under the North American arcade title "Orius". Do not play that version of the game, it sucks.

Sexy Parodius (1996, Arcade)

MV5BMTVjNDRmNTgtZTkzYS00OGU4LTg5ODMtZTQ0YWE1MjBhZjNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

www.youtube.com

Sexy Parodius OST: Chu Chu Polka

First of all, copyrighted by Konami. I uploaded this music because it is impossible to get the music anymore somewhere, so I decided to upload it to here so ...

I'd not only say that Sexy Parodius is quite easily the greatest game in the Parodius series, but also the best "cute 'em up" period. Game has a freaking Castlevania stage!!!!

Nearly criminal that this game hasn't seen re-release since the PSP Parodius set.

Which Konami shmup is your preference for shooting the core?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Came to say Gradius II, honestly. I casually played a few Konami shooters before, but playing the PCE port on the TG16 Mini really cemented it as one of my personal GOATs, Konami or otherwise. Gaiden is pretty great, too.

Shump Junkie's video made me really want to try the Parodius games. Always knew they were pretty insane, but man do they look like they were one hell of a creative outlet for Konami staff.

I should really get those PSP collections, too.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think Gradius II is the better game, but if I just want to relax and blow stuff up, Life Force may be the way to go.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think Gradius II is the better game, but if I just want to relax and blow stuff up, Life Force may be the way to go.

Yeah, I actually LOVE Salamander. The more traditional power up pick up system with the easier recovery makes it a great recommendation for people wanting to get into Konami shmups imho

The SNES version of Gradius III cemented my love of STGs so it's probably that.

I think it's my favorite SNES shmup but the slow down... I haven't played the rom hack that removes it yet.

They're excellent-- wish I wouldn't have sold mine lol

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I actually LOVE Salamander. The more traditional power up pick up system with the easier recovery makes it a great recommendation for people wanting to get into Konami shmups imho
Salamander is also responsible for giving us the Salamander OVA, wherein Lord British's religious advisors tell him that he may have caused the apocalypse for deliberately ignoring their warnings about the prophecy and disrupting the moai head so Lord British tells them that religion is a crock and calls in the scientists, then the scientists say that they can't explain shit and they're pretty sure that this the apocalypse too so Lord British decides that science is also garbage.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Salamander is also responsible for giving us the Salamander OVA, wherein Lord British's religious advisors tell him that he may have caused the apocalypse for deliberately ignoring their warnings about the prophecy and disrupting the moai head so Lord British tells them that religion is a crock and calls in the scientists, then the scientists say that they can't explain shit and they're pretty sure that this the apocalypse too so Lord British decides that science is also garbage.

Science has to be garbage-- there is no scientific justification for the ripple laser but my man shoots flying brains with arms with one.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Came to say Gradius II, honestly. I casually played a few Konami shooters before, but playing the PCE port on the TG16 Mini really cemented it as one of my personal GOATs, Konami or otherwise. Gaiden is pretty great, too.

Shump Junkie's video made me really want to try the Parodius games. Always knew they were pretty insane, but man do they look like they were one hell of a creative outlet for Konami staff.

Get ready to pay for those PSP collections lol.

I love the Twinbee games myself. I also love Lifeforce/Salamander. Played these in the arcades. So fun.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Gradius for the NES. It's the first game I ever rented and my first purchase for the system outside of the pack-in games.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This probably isn't anyone's favourite but I still feel like posting it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In-tdPjL8i0
www.youtube.com

ZORADIUS / Z.O.E HD EDITION

Z.O.E HD EDITION PS3EXミッション「ゾラディウス」ポーズ中に「↑↑↓↓←→←→サブウェポン切り替え、ガード」でSPEED UP以外の全装備を取得できます所謂コナミコマンドですね動画では使用していません#Nemesis #GRADIUS #2174火星ガマルゴトヤッテクル #グラディウス

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think they sorta did a little bit?

www.konami.com

Anniversary Collection

KONAMI celebrates their 50th anniversary with the release of the ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION series! Get ready to dive back into KONAMI's iconic arcade games and classic titles all on your favorite platforms!

yeah, it's pretty decent for what it is but... man... really missed out on something like this:

gradius.fandom.com

Gradius Collection

Gradius Collection, known in Japan as Gradius Portable, is a compilation of five Gradius games, converted for play on the Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP). The games were reprogrammed to take advantage of the PSP's wider display, as well as allowing to play each game in their original aspect...

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I think they sorta did a little bit?

www.konami.com

Anniversary Collection

KONAMI celebrates their 50th anniversary with the release of the ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION series! Get ready to dive back into KONAMI's iconic arcade games and classic titles all on your favorite platforms!
I want one with V
yeah, it's pretty decent for what it is but... man... really missed out on something like this:

gradius.fandom.com

Gradius Collection

Gradius Collection, known in Japan as Gradius Portable, is a compilation of five Gradius games, converted for play on the Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP). The games were reprogrammed to take advantage of the PSP's wider display, as well as allowing to play each game in their original aspect...
This but with every Gradius game

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Gradius II or Sexy Parodius probably. Gradius V is fantastic too. And Gaiden.

Gradius is a pretty good series, isn't it?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Gokujou Parodius is the best.
Parodius Da! and Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius are #2 and #3 (don't know the order, though).

Gradius V is the most I've played an individual Gradius, and it's up there, but I really like other games like Gradius II and NES Gradius II as well.

I like Sexy Parodius as well, but I'm not really into the "mission" thing to go to different levels.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Ok, what's an STG?

I'm partial to Salamander.
And I think Parodius is the best Gradius.
(and my favourite Parodius may actually be the original*. I didn't really like the mission structure of Sexy unfortunately. Superb other than that).

* EDIT: the arcade original, not the MSX one

Oh wait.
Gyruss. Man, Gyruss is so pure and addictive.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Three way tie between Sexy Parodius, Gradius V and SNES Gradius III

Mostly because of how much time I've sunk into each.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's between the original Gradius and SNES Gradius III for me. Gradius's option mechanics are pretty much unchallengable; that series has produced a lot of excellent games even if the recovery issue can be frustrating. I like the original Gradius the most out of the actual arcade Gradius games - it's probably the most fun "serious" game in the series, while SNES Gradius III rules as a more casual entry despite its ridiculous slowdown.

I like Gradius V more than either, or any other game in this post - it has some pacing problems, but its mechanics and overall design are masterful - but it's a Treasure game, so I wouldn't rank it in this conversation.

Other big ones - Sexy Parodius is up there with the best Gradius games, but I have to admit I'm put off by its automatic mode which streamlines the always-satisfying Gradius powerup system and takes control away from the player (and though there is a manual mode, it jacks the rank up by a ridiculous amount to the point where it doesn't feel like a valid alternate option). If I spent more time with the game I might rank it over the first Gradius, though. Gradius II also rules, but I don't like it as much as the original despite it having some higher highs; its pacing isn't as good (boss rush stage is lame, even if it's really cool thematically) and it leans into recovery hell way harder than the original (the crystal stage, speed stage, boss rush, and final stage are miserable if you die - the original Gradius is at least reasonably recoverable everywhere outside of the first stretch of the final stage).

I definitely need to put more time into Gradius Gaiden - I think it has some visibility and readability issues but is overall excellent. And though it's not as good as any of the above, I do like Axelay a fair bit - I just wish it were all horizontal stages.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This probably isn't anyone's favourite but I still feel like posting it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In-tdPjL8i0
www.youtube.com

ZORADIUS / Z.O.E HD EDITION

Z.O.E HD EDITION PS3EXミッション「ゾラディウス」ポーズ中に「↑↑↓↓←→←→サブウェポン切り替え、ガード」でSPEED UP以外の全装備を取得できます所謂コナミコマンドですね動画では使用していません#Nemesis #GRADIUS #2174火星ガマルゴトヤッテクル #グラディウス

Is this Zone of Enders? why do I not remember this?