• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Eno and his coolness.

Please make a post about Real Sound: Kaze no Regret Tailzo. It's such a awesome thing.
Making a multi-thread-post is the perfect end to my work in this thread I think :)

Real Sound: Kaze no Regret
is an adventure audio game developed by Warp and published by Sega. The game was first released for the Saturn in July 1997, and later for the Dreamcast in March 1999. Real Sound was intended to provide equal access to sighted and blind players. Warp's president, Kenji Eno, created the game after receiving numerous appreciation letters from blind fans of his games in Japan. Eno visited a number of his visually disabled fans to learn how it is that blind people could play the visually rich action game genre.
220px-Real_Sound_Kaze_no_Regret_Cover.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
REGRET-OF-THE-WIND.jpg

I'm loving this thread. Brings back so many good memories.
Thank you :)

Watching this thread i think that a lot of devs (mostly indies, i guess) try to replicate retro graphics and fail miserably. Just looking at some of the screens, i realize that there are so many art styles that devs don't seem to tackle and that look beautiful.
I agree with this. I'd love more "32-bit style" games to be released. There was an artistry there that seemed specific to that era and we don't see it much these days.
More indie 32-bit please

Well this is trippy.
Trippy and beautiful :)

Elevator Action Returns is one of the best action games ever made-- period. SO FUCKING good.

The Ving Taito ports were all awesome. Bubble Symphony and Mizubaku Daibouken included.
So many, so great too :)

Astal was and still is gorgeous. Completely makes up for the mediocre gameplay.
It is so beautiful though :)

Heads up to anyone playing Elevator Action Returns on the Saturn. You can unlock Elevator Action 1 by beating the game and saving your highscore initials.

Or you can use the code found here https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/saturn/197220-elevator-action-returns/cheats
Thank you for the information. That is really cool :)

I want to play all the games in this thread. Loving it. Didn't know about most of these.
Nice!

got mine around 2006 and even then I was hesitant because of it's price then..
This is so beautiful!

Holy crap. I played a lot of Baku Baku but I had totally forgotten. Thanks for reminding me of such good memories.
Yeah, it was also ported to Sega Gamegear. See

8-bit games that you want to tell us about

Madou Monogatari would be localized/translated as Sorcery Saga. It spawned the Puyo Puyo series...assuming you didn't know :P
Oh thank you for that trivia :)

Akihiro Yamada. His art is so fucking good, especially love his work on The Twelve Kingdoms
Oh that is really beautiful!

It reminda me a lot of Incoming on the Dreamcast, another ugly as fuck game.
Please post it in my new Dreamcast thread :) Cool and interesting Sega Dreamcast games
These are from soul hackers
Thanks, fixed :)

Deep Fear was the last game released in Europe for the Saturn if memory serves and also the last one I bought for the system. It was a surprisingly ambitious RE clone. Man, I'd love to replay that one.
At this point I was pretty bitter about all the amazing games that were being released in Japan and not in the west (with some even being ported to the psone and released in the west by Sony to add insult to injury), not to mention the cancellation of my 2 most anticipated games, Sonic Xtreme and VF3.
Towards the end of 98 I moved to the PSone and never looked back.

Yeah, Deep Fear looks great.
wtf man

I adore Bug!'s artstyle, you take that shit back.
Sorry, I agree. In a way we should agree that we can see beauty in all kind of styles :)

Idol Jansi Suchie-Pai Mecha Genteiban - Hatsubai 5 Shuunen
Year : 1998 Genre : Mahjong
33213-title-Idol-Jansi-Suchie-Pai-Mecha-Genteiban-Hatsubai-5-Shuunen.jpg
33213-menu-Idol-Jansi-Suchie-Pai-Mecha-Genteiban-Hatsubai-5-Shuunen.jpg
33213-ingame-Idol-Jansi-Suchie-Pai-Mecha-Genteiban-Hatsubai-5-Shuunen.jpg

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Now people are just posting the entire saturn library.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG
The Japanese version wasn't expensive at all when I was in Tokyo in 2013, so I am lucky enough to own it. The polygons are not the most beautiful, but I love the art style, the language and wordl building. Really special game :) It was released in Japan in 1998 for the Sega Saturn.
32686-menu-Panzer-Dragoon-Saga.jpg
jkkjjk.488x311.png
erjierj.488x274.png

Decided to dig this out and play

EDIT

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
for some reason the gifs are becoming too big maybe they didn't load fast for you? I changed them to YT video links instead

Shoot - not sure why, just checked my connection and getting 125mbps. Def leave the gifs (maybe in addition), seems like they're working for other users and they're so much more immediately engaging in threads like this EDIT: wtf they're working on mobile. Chrrrroooome!! Definitely leave them up now, though, lovely gifs!

On topic, I haven't seen psyth before - looks amazing

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
Three Dirty Dwarves was pretty cool. Too bad I didn't have the multitap to play it with three players.

Guardian Heroes was sublime. Still it got only ported to Xbox. It's the primary reason I'd buy an Xbox if I ever buy one.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Three Dirty Dwarves was pretty cool. Too bad I didn't have the multitap to play it with three players.

Guardian Heroes was sublime. Still it got only ported to Xbox. It's the primary reason I'd buy an Xbox if I ever buy one.
I've bought the xbla version in anticipation of buying the next xbox console in the future :)

I am thinking about playing some Saturn again, looked at the thread and I will pick one arcade gameplay kinda game and one of my rpgs :)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd give up my N64 to have grown up with a Saturn, if only because that library isn't as hard to come across.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

This week I learned about Bulk Slash which does an amazing job with huge environments and different types of gameplay. I really wish I had been able to play this in 1998!!

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017

This week I learned about Bulk Slash which does an amazing job with huge environments and different types of gameplay. I really wish I had been able to play this in 1998!!

Looks great :) I've watched several videos of Sega Saturn games (for example the Panzer Dragoon games) that explain why Sega Saturn could render big 3d areas. Can't really retell it in details, but it is cool :)

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I think I lost all faith in the video game industry when Dragon Force was allowed to die after two installments on the Saturn.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Loved my Saturn, when I got my Dreamcast I lent my Saturn to a friend, a number of years later I found they'd sold it.

Was gutted.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
that's savage. Everyone has their bad stories with lending. I lost some NES and MD games that way.
I lent out my GameCube, component cable, memory cards and many pricy games to my uncle's step-grandson....then he got a divorce and I would never see that kid again.

Lent my NES and games to a neighbor and his father one day just sold it all to Funcoland without saying anything. When I asked him where it all went he told me he sold it. I was upset, but he legitimately didn't give a shit and just shrugged.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
I lent out my copy of Valkyie Profile and the strategy guide and then lost touch with person, so lost forever.
Luckily, I rebought it from a friend in Japanese so I still have a copy, but still...

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Did you know Grandia got another Saturn release?

Grandia - Digital Museum
I found this while thinking about posting screens of Grandia, as that game was the most beautiful in its original Sega Saturn version. Did anyone try this?

33177-menu-Grandia-Digital-Museum.jpg
33177-ingame-Grandia-Digital-Museum.jpg
33177-ingame-Grandia-Digital-Museum.jpg

I found this from the wiki

edit:

I might give this a play through some day it's been sitting in my collection for some time although lately I am getting some issues with the capture card / RGB cable so until these get sorted it's just gonna collect dust. You just basically run around with Justin, Feena and Sue starting at lvl 20+ with some established magics which you just need to level up in some new dungeons and fighting the same enemies and bosses from the main game.

unlocking bestiaries
8f6ETK3.mp4

new dungeons plus that saturn special effect
CIlIN5l.mp4

unlock the preliminary artworks
V2blJeI.png

FkvzssK.png

XMSzD9l.png

VmGN7Cj.png

4vP62ku.png

Last edited:

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I believe you. That's the info Giantbomb had :)

Guardian Heroes
One of my most loved Saturn games. I played and replayed and replayed this game! Action rps at the finest!
320983-gh1.jpg
320990-gh9.jpg
320992-gh11.jpg
Agh you made me remember the fantastic XBLA remaster. We need all those Treasure games on modern storefronts as ASAP as possible.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
There's no real benefit to the Saturn version of Lunar. If you're missing GameArts go play Grandia instead. And if you're missing Working Designs, play Albert Odyssey Or Magic Knight Rayearth or Dragon Force.
Somebody should post screens who has a computer....

audio wise I am bias to the Saturn versions but the Lunar games they added in more stuff for PSX Ports like extra bromides and dungeons, new bosses etc..

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I wish everything would be translated in the HD port. It wasn't, right?

Anyway, a lot of strategy rpgs have been shown, but not this one:

Zanma Chou Ougi Valhollian
Simulation - RPG game, published by KAMATA & PARTNERS, which was released in Japan in 1998 for the Sega Saturn. As far as I know never translated. I like the look of it :)
T-38201G_6,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-6-Zanma-Chou-Ougi-Valhollian-JPN.jpg
T-38201G_19,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-19-Zanma-Chou-Ougi-Valhollian-JPN.jpg
T-38201G_14,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-14-Zanma-Chou-Ougi-Valhollian-JPN.jpg

Looks like we'll get to try it soon.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was a company that specialized in licensing, localizing, and porting old Saturn games because there are so many weird & great games that people who don't know Japanese never got a chance to play. And even of the localized Saturn games, most of those are prohibitively expensive to buy these days.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Loved my Saturn, when I got my Dreamcast I lent my Saturn to a friend, a number of years later I found they'd sold it.

Was gutted.
that's savage. Everyone has their bad stories with lending. I lost some NES and MD games that way.
Sorry to hear that! I definitely had some bad experiences with lending games/systems to friends.
I swear when it comes to games, there are no good lending stories.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
A more well known very beautiful 2d gem is

Princess Crown
an Action - RPG game released in Japan in 1997 for the Sega Saturn. From some of the same people behind Odins Sphere​
T-14418G_119,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-119-Princess-Crown-JPN.jpg
T-14418G_116,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-116-Princess-Crown-JPN.jpg
T-14418G_101,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-101-Princess-Crown-JPN.jpg

I'm so happy that recently indie games have been pushing beyond 16 bit visuals. I love the Sega Saturn kinda game look :) If you're unfamiliar with Sega Saturn games, please take a look here:

a database for Sega Saturn games

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the title Blazing Dragons and then looked at the picture and thought "they definitely drew that dragon to look high, must be a joke about how he's blazed". Then I looked down and saw Cheech Marin did voice work and laughed.

Want another slightly weird, but certainly beautiful Saturn fighting game?
Sokko Seitokai is gorgeous - and Saturn-exclusive, if I'm not mistaken:

A puzzle game that needs more love.
Noon - stunning 32-bit artwork in the cutscenes - and pretty great looking in-game backgrounds:

Funky Head Boxers - A Sega developed STV Titan arcade game...that was then ported by an entirely different company. It's certainly weird:

Delisoba Deluxe - Super rare game only given away at a Japanese gameshow. Developed by.....CAVE?!

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT

Has anyone done a recent play through of Lunar 2 Eternal Blue ? The guy who did the translation of Saturn's Grandia is looking at this for a possible next project and has been asking about issues with Saturn games that come on multiple discs etc..

98TEHdX.png

I haven't hooked my Saturn up in a while and I can't pull myself off XBS games to test this out.. plus I don't think I have a save file for Lunar2EB at the point where it asks to switch disc to test it out....

and an old pic or few I'm gonna repost
zRDmU2v.jpg

xHlRaHd.png

WCaXglx.gif

Last edited:

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I've loved reading through this thread and seeing all the cool games I'd never heard of.

I'd like to replay Lunar 2. I had it on PSX as a kid but I don't think I got to the last disc.