• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Here is my collection. Thankfully I purchased most of these back when the system was still alive. I did spend a bit to pick up Metal Slug 2nd, Dark Arms, Dynamite Slugger and Biomotor Unitron in the past year or two.

AzlbqLl.jpg
AKY7W5P.jpg

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doing BIG SWEATS at that boxed Rockman Battle and Fighters. I've been trying to get a cart copy for years and it's been out of budget. Even before the prices skyrocketed across the board.
I got lucky and grabbed it way before it shot up in price. I even have the special demo cart for the game for my Capcom/Mega Man collection!

*edit* Brunire - amazing collection :)

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
New pickup today!

w7UrXS6.jpg

This one's price has been skyrocketing in the UK recently. When I started my Neo Geo quest in November this was selling for around £30-40, but more recently it's been going for around £70-80, with people starting to ask £100ish for it, crazy..

I actually already had it loose, but it was one of the ones I wanted to pick up boxed. A decent priced one appeared on eBay yesterday so I snapped it up!

Here's the boxed collection as it stands now. This is where it will probably stay for a while unless I find a really good deal, because A) I'm running out of space and need to find somewhere else to store these and B) I'm running out of money 😂

7i7VvW4.jpg
Nice! I picked up Sonic as well, think it was last year or the year before. I think I got the North American one though, with the cardboard box. I can't remember for certain though, I've packed it away somewhere.

Oct 26, 2017
Nice! I picked up Sonic as well, think it was last year or the year before. I think I got the North American one though, with the cardboard box. I can't remember for certain though, I've packed it away somewhere.

I really like the game as it happens, considering the hardware its running on I think its really solid! Makes me feel that its a bit of a shame there weren't really any/many platform games for the system overall. Even Megaman is a sort of boss-rush thing

SKULLOMANIA

Nov 12, 2017
Quick question if anyone knows - but anyone know what the homebrew development scene is like for the NeoGeo Pocket? Does anyone know if there is one, and if so any idea who might be a good contact to possibly chat about a potential development situation? Let me know if anyone is aware of anything like that at all, as I'd just be curious to find out!
Skullomania out!

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question if anyone knows - but anyone know what the homebrew development scene is like for the NeoGeo Pocket? Does anyone know if there is one, and if so any idea who might be a good contact to possibly chat about a potential development situation? Let me know if anyone is aware of anything like that at all, as I'd just be curious to find out!
Skullomania out!

I don't think there is a huge scene, but I have seen occasional posts on the ngpc subreddit about people making their own games. Here's a link to one of them. You could try contacting this perosn

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, if true, wonder how far along the game was and what characters would have been included? Thiss could be huge.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. Darn shame that never came to fruition. Would love to play around with it if it is a playable build.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
We knew it was in development before they pulled the plug, but I never thought we'd get to see it in action. That's pretty cool.

Of course the roms being dumped would be even better, although I seriously doubt that will ever happen :(

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
This was posted over a week ago but just came across it and t feels very relevant and related:

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was posted over a week ago but just came across it and t feels very relevant and related:

Thanks for posting, I find stuff like this fascinating. The bootleg scene is something that has always interested me, I've got a few bootleg Mega Man releases that range from stuff like X3 on a Mega Drive (and is somewhat playable), to a strangely authentic bootleg release of Garou MOTW for the GBC that has some really good new, faithful sprites to MOTW.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the few I regret not buying a few years ago, as it's gone upin price by silly amounts.

If it's a decent price then you might as well, definitely has a few unique things going for it!

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been messing around with my NGPC quite a bit lately, having upgraded to a modded backlit version. It really makes the sprites on screen pop, MOTM looks gorgeous! I get why it most likely didnt have a back light (costs I imagine) but still... it looks so much better with one!

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
An opportunity has arisen to buy a copy of Dive Alert. I don't want Dive Alert....do I?
It is an interesting game but I wouldn't bet on playing it a ton. Which version is it?

That twitter account posted another cool little unreleased puzzle game:

Google translate version:
I made a play video of the unreleased game "Continuous Explosion! Slot Puzzle" of Neo Geo Pocket. If you arrange the panels vertically and horizontally and erase them, the gauge will increase, and if you arrange 3 "big hit panels" that appear when you reach the maximum, you will enter the "bonus slot". If you stop with a "hit pattern", the panel will disappear and you will get a lot of points.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Not getting my hopes up but it would definitely be neat if they localize Neo Poke Kun.

Thought this might interest some people:

www.nintendolife.com

Rumour: Datamine Reveals Six More Neo Geo Pocket Games Potentially Coming To Switch

Including two never-before-localised titles
Interesting. Not getting my hopes up but it would definitely be neat if they localize Neo Poke Kun.

Yeessss....

However, if I'm not mistaken, Neo PokeKun has certain aspects that would probably not be acceptable if released in the West today.
Wouldn't surprise me if it just stayed in Japan.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Finally just picked up NeoPoke-Kun last week!

I thought it needed localization and was text heavy. Turns out, I can mostly read the Japanese.
What even is this game...I think I love it. Just pressed A and was so confused at first.

Just noticed your avatar, lol. Indeed, I can now consider myself well cultured.

I need to play this sometime.

Always been curious since way back when it released but Jeff Gerstman talking about it in the past year convinced me I need to play it.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Finally just picked up NeoPoke-Kun last week!

I thought it needed localization and was text heavy. Turns out, I can mostly read the Japanese.
What even is this game...I think I love it. Just pressed A and was so confused at first.

Just noticed your avatar, lol. Indeed, I can now consider myself well cultured.
it can get annoying to unlock new games, but i love it as a survey of the history of games with a bit of humor.

Has anyone played the ghost photography japanese game???

I need to play this sometime.

Always been curious since way back when it released but Jeff Gerstman talking about it in the past year convinced me I need to play it.

Haha, well…there's not too terribly much to the life sim portion, so the main draw are definitely the mini games…at least if you're looking for some actual gameplay.

Otherwise, it's just quirky, random fun.

it can get annoying to unlock new games, but i love it as a survey of the history of games with a bit of humor.

Has anyone played the ghost photography japanese game???

Yeah, I don't really mind though. It's kind of a soothing game/interactive experience. I do wish they would've added just a bit more to the simulation portion, such as a couple more rooms or more interactivity.

But, it works really well as quick handheld experience.

What ghost photography NGP game is there?? Like silent hill for NGP?

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Haha, well…there's not too terribly much to the life sim portion, so the main draw are definitely the mini games…at least if you're looking for some actual gameplay.

Otherwise, it's just quirky, random fun.

Yeah, I don't really mind though. It's kind of a soothing game/interactive experience. I do wish they would've added just a bit more to the simulation portion, such as a couple more rooms or more interactivity.

But, it works really well as quick handheld experience.

What ghost photography NGP game is there?? Like silent hill for NGP?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09tD69RiocA
theres not that much stuff out there on it, tied to a famous artist i think

Oct 26, 2017
A Fun thing arrived!

n9ktovE.jpg

DmgT8Iu.jpg

I really enjoyed the first Puzzle Link, and I absolutely love the somewhat weird box art, the colours are great! Glad to have this one in the collection now :D

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
A Fun thing arrived!

n9ktovE.jpg

DmgT8Iu.jpg

I really enjoyed the first Puzzle Link, and I absolutely love the somewhat weird box art, the colours are great! Glad to have this one in the collection now :D
Nice! Probably my favourite puzzle game on the system. The basic game is fun enough, but the overall package is what really makes it. I've posted the link before in this thread, but this is worth a read and goes in to some depth about why it's quite a bit better than original game: https://thegemsbok.com/art-reviews-and-articles/mid-week-mission-puzzle-link-2-yumekobo/

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are making me want to start building a physical NGPC collection, but I am very much the type to not want to build a big physical collection of things.

Fatal Nutritionist

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 18, 2022
I have a NGPC with only around 10 games, I do prefer the stick over the Dpad so they got that right, wished the others followed suit.

The Op has a mega man game with Duo in it, that must be a demake of that 2nd arcade fighting game. Wonder how it plays.

Also grabbed a Neo-Poke Kun yesterday after seeing you two talk about it!

Ha, I am glad you can join the NPK owners club!

Just for context, I bought it with the expectation that I wouldn't be able to play it (thought there'd be dialogue...and there isn't), so I had very low to non-existent expectations.

If you adore quirky video games/interactive experiences, you'll probably enjoy this.
If not, well...

I've posted the link before in this thread, but this is worth a read and goes in to some depth about why it's quite a bit better than original ga

I've had both games on my to-buy list.
Is it even worth picking up the first game?

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I've had both games on my to-buy list.
Is it even worth picking up the first game?
They're both incredibly similar, but the sequel adds new mechanics and modes. It's a more complete package so probably worth seeking out if you're only going to get one. Not sure it is worth getting both in all honesty, although hard to go wrong with either.

Oct 26, 2017
Who fears the 2 month old bump warning? Not I, for I have pickups to show!

So, rounding out the year with a few more gets: I finally got my hands on a boxed NGPC! Its missing the carboard innards but has all the instructions, so I'm quite pleased with that, got it at a fairly nice price too!

lZ3Gnsv.jpg

Then, coming up next I managed to grab a CIB copy of Dark Arms! Again, got this one at a pretty nice price too, about £50 under the going rate. I just got lucky on an auction as there wasn't much competition! God I love these plastic cases...

One thing that I love about NGP games is that they all tend to have some way of erasing the save data, but it's never consistent in methodology or language! I believe in this one it was labled as "Initialize data" or something simiar...

RLs4mTc.jpg

And then finally, although I didn't need it it was going super cheap so I thought why the hell not: A second copy of Puzzle Link 2! Just cart only this time, and its the US version (IIRC the roms are identical though). I presume this probably came from a blister pack at some point. I'll probably use this for multiplayer. I could have used my flash cart in conjunction with my other copy, but there's something special about using the "real thing"

z9VrSoL.jpg

Bengraven