• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A online modern fantasy game?
Annotation-2022-10-27-090231.png

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I was chatting with my online buddies about Destiny and the evolution the game's made over the last 9 years that we've all been playing it together. The QOL features Bungie's implemented to make the game less of a slog and make the grind more enjoyable. I hope a lot of these lessons that Bungie's learned are what's being passed along to the other PlayStation Studios to prepare for their upcoming live service games. Live service games have to have a grind due to their nature, but don't let the grind crush any fun a person might have while doing it.

I don't think PlayStation could've picked a better company to bring on board for their live service expertise

Still crossing my fingers that TLOU MP will be structured closer to a title like Destiny or The Division. I'll play it regardless, but that style game is right up my alley. What's exciting is because there're so many live service games being made, chances are that there will be something for everybody. Even single player gamers could wind up finding something worthwhile out of these titles if they're anything like Destiny or The Division where you can still play them solo.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
man-of-steel-faora.gif

But don't worry. I'm ussualy wrong about this stuff lol
I keep using clowns avatars because of it.
The main problem with this example that Superman doesn't do this stuff. He doesn't destroy stuff or toss enemies around or vaporize people with heat vision. So if you want Superman in space fighting aliens, you might get some of that, but if you want Superman in Metropolis, you're going to be so inundated with invisible barriers and failstates that it basically needs to be an adventure game where you just make moral choices and don't control him. People want Ultimate Destruction but Superman, and that ain't gonna happen.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I strongly believe that the new PS+ was hindered by the pandemic in a couple of ways. The new PS+ was probably meant to launch sooner in the gen, but they couldn't get it out the door until Summer 2022. Then there's the fact that PS5 hardware isn't in the cloud yet, but that should be rectified soon per Tom Hendersons rumor. Then there's the game selection - it makes sense that Sony would want to heavily push the games on the service once they actually had console stock to push. Now that the PS5 units are flowing freely, the PS+ service is able to finally start making a strong push.

Considering how many PS5's Sony are rumored to be producing next FY, I'm really curious just how many units they're gonna put into the cloud. A few million? More? They really only have to put in enough units to cover the PS+ Premium subscription base I suppose, but we don't know what that number is anyways. I do also suspect that the Premium subscription tier will start seeing further enhancements once PS5 hardware is added to the cloud and things start coming together.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Off-topic but PlayStation's Deviation Games partnership is very smart. They have extremely talented developers. I am so excited for that game.

Not off-topic at all. SIE's partnership with these fledgling studios is a great move and I hope it's continuing as we speak with all of the newer studios popping up. Why open up a new internal studio when you can form a patnership with a brand new one full of veterans that's in its formative stages, and work together to create birth a new studio into the world? It could possibly turn into a future acquisition for Sony (ie. Haven), or it could become a new long term partner for Sony (ie. KojiPro), or even if the new studio decides to chart their own course, then at least Sony and the folks at the new studio have worked together to add something new to the industry, and given it a good shot at success with the level of support that SIE puts behind their games.

It's win-win-win for everyone involved, IMO.

Speaking of Deviation specifically, yeah, I'm curious what they're cooking, can't wait to get a reveal.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Not off-topic at all. SIE's partnership with these fledgling studios is a great move and I hope it's continuing as we speak with all of the newer studios popping up. Why open up a new internal studio when you can form a patnership with a brand new one full of veterans that's in its formative stages, and work together to create birth a new studio into the world? It could possibly turn into a future acquisition for Sony (ie. Haven), or it could become a new long term partner for Sony (ie. KojiPro), or even if the new studio decides to chart their own course, then at least Sony and the folks at the new studio have worked together to add something new to the industry, and given it a good shot at success with the level of support that SIE puts behind their games.

It's win-win-win for everyone involved, IMO.

Speaking of Deviation specifically, yeah, I'm curious what they're cooking, can't wait to get a reveal.
Exactly!

I really like Sony's approach by exclusives and acquisitions.

Insomniac Games worked with Sony since 90s and when Sony acquired them we always talk about how productive they are. Not just quantity. Also quantity. They released Spider-Man in 2018 and its considered one of the best superhero games ever made. Followed by Spider-Man: Miles Morales in 2020 and a technical showcase for PS5 a year later with Rift Apart. Now they are releasing Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine is in development.

Same stories can be told for Naughty Dog, Guerrilla and Sucker Punch Productions. They are basically industry leaders.

As you mentioned, lots of new studios formed and I believe there are many Respawn Entertainments and Infinity Wards among them. Sony did really smart with Deviation Games partnership. And there are also some studios that I think has very bright future.

-Gravity Well (ex-IW and ex-Respawn)
-Embark Studios (ex-DICE)
-Humanoid Studios (Director of Mass Effect and KotoR)
-Something Wicked Games (ex-Bethesda and ex-Obsidian)

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they really lean into fantasy aspects. I could easily see this being just another battle royal or an extraction game with another riff of the Fortnite art style.
Looks like they're leaning into the fantasy aspects tied into a London aesthetic with modern fashion. Big ass dragon front and center with goblins rushing the group.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I would really like to see what happened to London Studios, in the days of PS3 they had very good projects until they were cancelled. I think it could easily have been a far superior studio.
weren't they trying to do 8 days? Yeah, back then it was much easier to try and do a GTA-like game, today, no chance lol.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I would really like to see what happened to London Studios, in the days of PS3 they had very good projects until they were cancelled. I think it could easily have been a far superior studio.
Yeah London Studio definitely had some ups and downs. I'm honestly surprised they made it this far without Sony closing them down (not saying they should but Sony repeatedly downsizing over the years). I think the Singstar games basically kept them away from the chopping block lol.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Deviation game will have solo/ coop
Capture_decran_2023-03-16_a_23.png
There was this job offer for their game last year :

We are looking for a skilled Senior Game Designer who's written and scripted quest and mission content in AAA single-player or multiplayer RPGs/Action/story games. Ideally, someone who has worked in games for several years, executed on early stage rapid development and worked on co-op multiplayer games.

So maybe this game is not a big multiplayer game but a single player game where you can also play with your friends or there is other modes with co-op.

At least for me it's way more interesting then a multiplayer only game.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
There was this job offer for their game last year :

We are looking for a skilled Senior Game Designer who's written and scripted quest and mission content in AAA single-player or multiplayer RPGs/Action/story games. Ideally, someone who has worked in games for several years, executed on early stage rapid development and worked on co-op multiplayer games.

So maybe this game is not a big multiplayer game but a single player game where you can also play with your friends or there is other modes with co-op.

At least for me it's way more interesting then a multiplayer only game.

There was no reason think it was multiplayer in the first place. People assumed based on the previous projects they were on. For all we know this could've been the motivation open the studio.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
twistedvoxel.com

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 & Wolverine May Feature New Dialogue Technology

Insomniac Games and Marvel's Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine may be featuring brand new dialogue technology, based on the latest information.

Speaking during a live stream session on Insomniac Games' official Twitch channel, lead engine programmer Elan Ruskin revealed that the studio's next game, likely Marvel's Spider-Man 2 and possibly even Wolverine, will feature some "very cool" dialogue technology.

As for what this new dialogue technology does is unknown for now. It's likely that the studio will show it off during the rumored pre-E3 2023 PlayStation showcase alongside other first-party projects that are in development. According to Jeff Grubb, who is known for his connections in the game industry, Sony is saving its "good stuff" for the PlayStation Showcase that, according to him, is set to happen sometime before E3 2023.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What kind of "dialogue technology" anyway?

Using mic & say anything we want? 🤔
I really wouldnt expect anything major, its likely just an improvement on the tech they used in the last 2 games for blending peter and miles talk on the phone normally or while swinging and at combat where they sound more strained.

Wayfaerer

Oct 26, 2017

"He [Harrison] left and Shuhei Yoshida came on board as head of worldwide development," Bunn said.

"He did the rounds basically doing a big shake-up. He saw where the successes had been at the London studio and where the big failures had been and decided we should be the casual, social studio. So games like Singstar and EyePet. Actually there's quite a lot in development at that studio along those lines that could turn out to be very nice."
(Source)

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
I really wouldnt expect anything major, its likely just an improvement on the tech they used in the last 2 games for blending peter and miles talk on the phone normally or while swinging and at combat where they sound more strained.
GPT4 instance 1 prompt: act as Peter surrounded by two hard enemies under the north bridge. You are injured and can hardly move and deffend yourself.
We are Miles talking to Peter. Whisper API converts our speech to text and Peter answers via GPT4 to voice API.
mmm...

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Could be lip sync for each language through AI, like Cyberpunk and the Wizard game already did.
That would be nice.

Also hoping for Tsushima sequel will have better/parity Japanese compared to English dub for lip-sync at launch.

I find it amusing the supposedly native language of that game was treated as a dub & even the latest lip-sync in Director's Cut still not perfect.

SEGA even better in this with Like A Dragon English.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Absolutely massive video by UglySofaGaming on Dreams best creations of 2022. We've come a long way and there's a ton of quality to be found. But watch for yourself:

View: https://youtu.be/0t11EnqKY2A

Games featured
00:00 Trips Voyage by Eupholace
01:17 World on Fire II by McTheOperator, UseableHamburger, SgtRex7, CathyMcNuggetz, ZubwubBandit, Purple_Hays_
02:16 Liminal by Rammstein53452,Tapio_X, Drintwater200, mattizle1, Grimpinata136, Typhus667
03:14 Sword of Akaana by luke_972
04:10 Gaia Hawk by talc33
05:00 Epsilum by Jaavaa, MultiverseDreams, IansaneArtist
06:03 Red and the Phantom Castle Remake by RedSeikatsu-
06:56 The Backrooms by MarshallsAccount
07:57 Bo's Island by byvsen
08:49 Disdain: Depravity of the Night by black_veil_games, Lampazzu, IansaneArtist, thekorystuhler
09:52 Dreamscape Revelations by dakrrs35
10:45 Redline Turbo by Carambazmg
11:23 Happy Jack! Enter the Abyss Expansion by dinox11
12:15 Zed Exodus II by TRIX9
13:01 Feeding Ducks by ItsMeJuvy
14:00 Bonus Dreams
15:30 Tiny Medieval 907 by urbandevill
15:55 Urbex | Deadly Activity by ninja-R
16:51 Angel of Death by dakrrs35
17:45 Dark Strain by Teh_Beef_
18:42 ISLE OF ERAS by Grambitious
19:35 Strain by Orksom
20:30 Hook Shot Demo by Azure_Kn1ght
21:11 Hell's Dungeon by JoeyRyanTN
21:47 Pressure by Greatscott 2204
22:52 RID - Memories of the Elders by LordBruce and Camian
23:49 Cold Conundrum 3 by Intrattackout
24:24 Gladiator 3022 by Sharfik1995
25:18 The Little Ninja 2 by Mystical_Vortex_
26:00 Ronin's Path - A Pirate Story by ChevalierBore
26:43 Those Childhood Summers by Crazillo

Woohoo! Glad to be in this video, though they are using MultiverseDreams instead of the PSN name I reverted back to (MultiMoo)

Tried to undo the change here on ResetEra too but was told I can't change my username anymore xD

EDIT: Fun fact about the footage of Epsilum - we have since removed a lot of the blood in order to be part of the Impy Awards nominations and all that jazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.