• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JohnnyJoestar

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Had an issue where the game would crash when I changed the resolution in Big Picture mode. Haven't ever encountered that before, personally, but launching outside Big Picture mode solved the issue.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
I should try playing with the Right stick instead of using the face buttons for the Yo-Yo. It seems like the game was designed around using it and the shoulder buttons for jumping.

So I've just tried re-learning the controls, using L1 for jump, R2 for riding, and the Right Stick for everything else, and it kinda does feel like this is how it's *meant* to be played, not needing to hop between different inputs for your yo-yo moves and not really having to move your fingers at all.

Would definitely recommend people struggling with the controls give that a go - it's definitely weird at first but I think that's the way to go.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Playing on Switch and liking it very much. The art style is cute and the music is a banger. Can't wait to see what speedrunners do with this game.

Some complaints so far:

- The camera is too fixed on some spots. Sometimes I want to make a jump at a better angle but the camera simply won't move.
- Controls are hard to get used to, and it's annoying how far the double attack launches you. It's easy to lose a life or miss the top of the platform at the end of the level because a dash sent you off the edge.
- Some of the NPC challenges require you to re-do the level if you miss them which kinda sucks. At least that happened to me with one in 1-3. I didn't finish in time and it wouldn't let me retry.

I REALLY want to love this game, and I think with more practice and dedication it can happen, but it does have many little things that feel kinda annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
So I've just tried re-learning the controls, using L1 for jump, R2 for riding, and the Right Stick for everything else, and it kinda does feel like this is how it's *meant* to be played, not needing to hop between different inputs for your yo-yo moves and not really having to move your fingers at all.

Would definitely recommend people struggling with the controls give that a go - it's definitely weird at first but I think that's the way to go.
+1 for right stick yo-yo. It just feels right after a while, and honestly makes the experience quite fun.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
been playing a little on switch, still on the tutorial stage but the 30fps isn't as big of a drawback as I was thinking. Feels great

AnimeJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I play the more I realize that depth perception and figuring out where you're at in the game space in relation to the ground while in the air is a problem.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone completed the soda can challenge in Vanillatown 1-3? I legitimately have no idea how to collect the fourth can within the time limit it gives you
You can reach the third can (or whichever can, I forgot how many there were total) directly after the ramp. When you're riding the yo-yo, even if you get airborne from flying up a ramp or riding off an edge, you'll get a regular, full-height jump. You can use that to go directly from the ramp to the raised platform.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else fallen through the world yet? Seems like there's occasional physics related issues.

But it's really enjoyable apart from that and the art style is lovely.
This actually happened to me in the tutorial stage when you first hit a switch with your yo yo just beyond the line into the palace, certainly a way to kick things off

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
First impressions are fantastic... it runs at a constant 90FPS on Steam Deck OLED, and that's with the TDP set to 6! Game is absolutely gorgeous, the art direction reminds me of Bonanza Bros.

Anybody else fallen through the world yet? Seems like there's occasional physics related issues.

But it's really enjoyable apart from that and the art style is lovely.

I got stuck in a corner once, that's the only glitch I experienced in about three levels.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Played a couple levels over lunch break - rather enjoying myself so far. My only complaints thus far is that the yo-yo swing makes it way too easy to hurl yourself off the edge of platforms, and the music is…grating. I like the art style though - feels like a lost Saturn or Dreamcast game in that regard.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Steam Deck OLED more powerful than the LCD one? What do people keep specifying OLED instead of just saying Steam Deck?

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
this game's movement is a joy, is a bit strange that the NPCs take so long to talk, im just schmoving and i literally have to stop and wait for them to form complete sentences.

Asides from that and much more penguins that i would like, this game is shaping up to be a solid 8/10 so far.

i agree that the cutscenes are a bit weird and the music can be repetitive, but if the game is long im not complaining

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Only through the tutorial mode and first level and I'm really digging it through pure mechanics alone. I feel like those comparing it to Mario Odyssey in terms of movement are on the mark in terms of the different abilities layered around Penny's Yo-Yo. Can't wait to play more and get better at mastering the controls.

Also speaking as someone playing on Switch, I don't feel like the 30 FPS is a deterrent.

- Controls are hard to get used to, and it's annoying how far the double attack launches you. It's easy to lose a life or miss the top of the platform at the end of the level because a dash sent you off the edge.

Falling into a pit via the dash happened to me once, but only because I was trying to flee the penguins at one spot. I obviously have to play more of the levels but at least based on the first stage, I didn't have too many issues with avoiding bottomless pits.

Mar 19, 2021
Ended up buying it and playing the 1st level. This is really cool in the sense that I never played any of the old school Sega games and this is giving off that vibe from what I can tell, had a similar feeling with Hi-Fi Rush

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
From what I'm reading in the thread it sounds like there are some annoying issues with the game. I might wait for some video reviews to see for myself how it is.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing on Switch and liking it very much. The art style is cute and the music is a banger. Can't wait to see what speedrunners do with this game.

Some complaints so far:

- The camera is too fixed on some spots. Sometimes I want to make a jump at a better angle but the camera simply won't move.
- Some of the NPC challenges require you to re-do the level if you miss them which kinda sucks. At least that happened to me with one in 1-3. I didn't finish in time and it wouldn't let me retry.

I REALLY want to love this game, and I think with more practice and dedication it can happen, but it does have many little things that feel kinda annoying.

Yeah, I think I'm feeling the same as you on all accounts so far. I'm currently two levels into the second world, and while I am adapting somewhat to the controls I still feel that they are definitely not nearly as intuitive and smooth as I had hoped they'd be. And the fixed camera is pretty objectively poor IMO.

The more I play the more I realize that depth perception and figuring out where you're at in the game space in relation to the ground while in the air is a problem.

It's that damned fixed camera. It is NOT worth being able to control the yo-yo with the right stick in my opinion. I think the game would feel and look better if it had a traditional, controllable camera with the right stick.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Ended up buying it and playing the 1st level. This is really cool in the sense that I never played any of the old school Sega games and this is giving off that vibe from what I can tell, had a similar feeling with Hi-Fi Rush

You hit the nail on the head - the game evokes a mid-to-late 90s Sega vibe that I haven't seen in a long time.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
So I kind of love this game. It's super cute, fun... and reminds me of old school 3D platformers... man... the $30 - $40 AA/Indie space has been KILLING it lately.

Hi-Fi Rush
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
Helldivers 2
Penny's...

Am I in 2024? Feels like I'm playing new games on my PS3/PS2/Gamecube/Wii lately.

Absolutely insane.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/a2SfY6CpaIw?si=aUDbhrFMUBfuIWBh

Quite interesting that this official video about the controls doesn't even mention using the face buttons, using both sticks and the bumpers to jump is *the* control scheme! It's worded like it's the only way to play - I wonder why they don't make that more obvious in game, I've definitely been having a lot more fun since I started playing that way.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
It's weird how everyone (myself included) says how this game is Saturn inspired but can't really say what games inspire it. Like, I guess it kinda reminds me of Clockwork Knight, NiGHTs, and Bug!?

DMA99

Feb 18, 2018
I'm curious how big/large this game is at the price point. I want to buy it, but don't want it to just be a few hours long...

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/a2SfY6CpaIw?si=aUDbhrFMUBfuIWBh

Quite interesting that this official video about the controls doesn't even mention using the face buttons, using both sticks and the bumpers to jump is *the* control scheme! It's worded like it's the only way to play - I wonder why they don't make that more obvious in game, I've definitely been having a lot more fun since I started playing that way.

Yeah, not having to take your thumb off the right analog when you use it so much is something I can appreciate (since that's how I play Terraria if I'm using a controller).

Oct 30, 2017
Price point is fine for me as it looks similar to Yooka Laylee in scope.
Waiting to see if it's about 8-10 hours before going full price on it.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how everyone (myself included) says how this game is Saturn inspired but can't really say what games inspire it. Like, I guess it kinda reminds me of Clockwork Knight, NiGHTs, and Bug!?
Maybe Ninpen manmaru?

54327-Ninpen_Manmaru_%2528J%2529-14.jpg

Honestly this game is a bit more a Dreamcast vibe to me, specifically Super Magnetic Neo

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
I don't think it's a specific game, but you're right. I'd say it's a more refined and modern iteration of that early 3D aesthetic.

I really like the way the game looks (outside of the character design), and I think it's because I'm quite nostalgic for that era of video games.

Oct 31, 2017
So watching that video, this game looks to be in some ways a "spiritual successor" to the Ape Escape games? With the whole dual analog control scheme and jump on the shoulders. Controlling the yo-yo looks very reminiscent of controlling the various gadgets in the Ape Escapes.

And the penguins almost look like an "inverse" design function of the monkeys, in the sense that they are chasing after and hounding the player in this game. Whereas in Ape Escape, the player is trying to collect the monkeys and they are trying to evade capture.

Pretty interesting, and I didn't know that from the initial unveil. Will definitely have to play this at some point. Loved Sonic Mania so I definitely have confidence in this game and these devs.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how big/large this game is at the price point. I want to buy it, but don't want it to just be a few hours long...
Price point is fine for me as it looks similar to Yooka Laylee in scope.
Waiting to see if it's about 8-10 hours before going full price on it.
It took me 30 minutes just to get through the tutorial and World 1-1. I think there are 10+ worlds with at least 3 stages a piece, and there's replay value if you want to speedrun or find all the collectibles/help everyone. I play pretty slow though, so this will probably take me forever, especially with Rebirth coming out in a week.

Game definitely feels like a 32-bit title with modern sensibilities. Back when cartoony 3D platformers were a lot more common.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
My brain immediately goes to something like Super Magnetic Neo on the Dreamcast.

Super%20Magnetic%20Neo-2.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Yurei

Feb 28, 2023
I'm going to hold off on picking this up until I get more impressions. I both love and dislike the aesthetic, gameplay looks fun and fluid but I want to hear what they do with it. I have no nostalgia for Saturn/Dreamcast era games.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Mania's mission statement if I recall was making a 2D Sonic game that felt like it would've come out during the Saturn era. I can definitely see a similar mentality behind Penny; it doesn't quite reach for the type of stylings you'd more commonly see out of the major Dreamcast games between the deformed character designs, cartoon-like textures, and simple geometry. Those types of games still existed on the platform of course, but usually I think most people associate the Dreamcast era with the types of games that were beginning to push towards cutting edge fidelity and realism (Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, etc.) or were otherwise hyper-stylized (Jet Set Radio, Power Stone, etc.).

Alternatively I do think the game could be seen as "what if Dreamcast got its own Super Mario 64-type game". It does have a hybrid feel of different Sega eras, but I think the reason Saturn is often so invoked is because, as stated above, people like to fantasize about the type of games the console never got.

Last edited:

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
Most of this is a blast but I have a few annoyances I keep bumping into:

- Kinda wish there was an option to roll whilst the trigger is held and stop rolling on release.
- Also wish there was an option for the right stick to only attack and not initiate a dash.
- Peel-out doesn't seem worth it considering a dash roll is faster and can be used at any time.
- The air-stall spin feels a little off, even though I use it fine. Can fuck up wall jumps pretty easily too.
- Some of the camera angles can make moving in a specific direction harder than it needs to be (the first "boss" has some examples)
- Aiming a launch off a horizontal pole just doesn't feel correct.

I'm sure I'll adapt but theres definitely some oddities in the game feel for me.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm so sad. I've been looking forward to this game for over a year now, and it was always going to be a Day 1 purchase no matter what.

But I'm three worlds in now, and the controls are some of the most flawed I've encountered in a 3D platformer in some time. The god damn input for diving just does NOT work half of the damn time as the timing for the double-press of the button seems to vary depending on your last action, and the fixed camera angles and ever-present jank really combine to make this a very unsatisfying game to play. And I'm a HUGE fan of this genre, so it pains me deeply to say these things about a game that I felt had so much potential.

And I loved Sonic Mania despite not generally being a Sonic fan! I just don't know if I could recommend this game at this price without a lot of caveats. It has so many issues. I even had to redo an entire boss fight because the game glitched and caused my character to get stuck in the level geometry and then fly infinitely into the background until I restarted the whole level.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit I need to make the time to play this. Im already playing like 6 games at the same time though.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
imo I agree with the sentiment but it's mainly the low polygon, flat texture, art direction that looks like it could come from that era. It's unique ideas for game play also harken back to the odd ball games that felt new and different back then. It's totally just a vibe.