• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
After years of wanting to play it I was finally able to get a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

7455ae075966aa630478908d4ce5503ed394bd9f.jpeg

57fb3b53139f8b250f82e34a99129be88c318bb1.jpeg

I started playing the game yesterday and it's amazing so far. I'm a few hours in and the game's atmosphere, music and world building so far are all just incredible. The battles are fun and not frustrating at all, I like the ability to switch between the dragon's lock on and Edge's gun and experimenting with regular attacks and Berserk abilities. The encounter rate also isn't bad and gives you just enough time to relax, breathe and take in all the wonder and little details and scenery of the levels. Please let me know if there is anything I should know about the game before I dig deeper or any advice that will help me enjoy the game's incredible world even more.

I just wish I'd known that having a Panzer Zwei II save file on your Saturn before you start Saga unlocks a bonus item in the game later (but based on what I read it's just a "lullaby" style music track from Zwei which plays at your campsite so not a big deal I guess?) I don't currently own Zwei anyways so oh well, Zwei and Panzer 1 are next on my list. Will be great to have all three on my shelf eventually along with my copy of Orta and maybe a copy of Panzer Mini for Game Gear if I ever find a copy.

Well, time to explore more of the world awaiting me in the game.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God please let this be up next after the Zwei remake.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I also finally bought a copy this year (which was $880...) and it's just wonderful to play after so many years of playing through other methods. Absolutely sits along other top RPGs of that era and there's nothing else like it.

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
nothing to know, just enjoy one of the best games ever made

Thanks. :)

I also finally bought a copy this year (which was $880...) and it's just wonderful to play after so many years of playing through other methods. Absolutely sits along other top RPGs of that era and there's nothing else like it.

Nice, it's giving me that same feeling of "Wow, this really lives up to its reputation and was so worth the wait" which I had years ago when I finally got a copy of Earthbound (before it was on VC).

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Just enjoy the atmosphere. The town has a lot of hidden easter eggs, just explore nooks and crannies. Talk to all the NPCs. It's a brilliant game, one of the best of all time.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
My most wanted remake/reimagining. Definitely preferred it over FF7 from the same era.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Glad you're enjoying it!

I got it back at release for retail price. Really great game. Been tempted to replay it soon. Might do that in the next few days.

FbaouWA.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Congrats on picking up such a treasure. As for the game itself, really special, extremely unique story and characters. The dragoon battles are amazing but I have to say that the walking/dungeons are a bit painful and have aged poorly.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
just sit down and enjoy the camp music track, that's all you need to know.

still have my launch copy. Replay is already planned. I've replayed lots of old games this year, so now is the best time!

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Glad you're enjoying it!

I got it back at release for retail price. Really great game. Been tempted to replay it soon. Might do that in the next few days.

FbaouWA.jpg

Beautiful pic, thanks for sharing. :D I remember seeing ads and previews in game magazines at the time when I was in high school (including the one where you could cut out a character "mask" to wear) and always thought it looked so cool but alas, the Saturn was on its way out and it would be a few years before I owned one. Then when I got my Saturn in 2000 I spent most of my time collecting shmups for it and Saga kinda fell out of my to-do list for years until it was too late and prices started skyrocketing. Oh well, better late than never. :)

Congrats on picking up such a treasure. As for the game itself, really special, extremely unique story and characters. The dragoon battles are amazing but I have to say that the walking/dungeons are a bit painful and have aged poorly.

Thanks! And yeah the brief bit of on foot gameplay I've done has been rather stiff but eh, I don't mind. The game and world are just so lovely.

just sit down and enjoy the camp music track, that's all you need to know.

still have my launch copy. Replay is already planned. I've replayed lots of old games this year, so now is the best time!

Thanks! I've been replaying a lot of classic games lately too in my collection.

Last edited:

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
Enjoy this perfect game ! There's nothing like it out there. Congratulation on getting a copy.

Not even really looking forward to some possible remake. No other hardware will ever be able to capture Saturn's 32 bits 3D. Those pixelised graphics are part of what makes it unique, no doubt that a modern version on a slick engine would take some of its soul away.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
There are a couple of secrets, like getting the light wing and solo wing forms, but you don't need anything special to beat the game.

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoy this perfect game ! There's nothing like it out there. Congratulation on getting a copy.

Not even really looking forward to some possible remake. No other hardware will ever be able to capture Saturn's 32 bits 3D. Those pixelised graphics are part of what makes it unique, no doubt that a modern version on a slick engine would take some of its soul away.

I have my Saturn hooked up to an older model 2007 plasma with s-video, it looks really good, not as good as CRT of course but still really nice. Agreed on chunky, pixelated graphics, I still love them when done right and they in no way get in the way of the game's art style. I don't want a remake either but I'm sure M2 would include a bevy of authentic display options if a pSega Ages remaster ever happened (assuming the source code isn't still presumed as lost, another reason I eventually gave in and got a physical copy).

/hugs mint day one pal copy

Enjoy OP. There's nothing out there like Panzer Dragoon :'(

Thanks. :) I used to borrow a friend's copy of PD1 years ago and played it a lot, still don't own it or Zwei though. Hoping to get copies of both in the next few months.

Oct 27, 2017
I only got to play the first disc but really enjoyed it. I hope it gets remade because I won't want to spend a mortgage payment on just a single game. Congrats on getting a copy OP!

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
This game is so much fun. Enjoy.

Thanks. :)

There are a couple of secrets, like getting the light wing and solo wing forms, but you don't need anything special to beat the game.

Good to know, thanks. It's nice to play a game which doesn't require a ton of work to get 100%

One of the best games ever, also has a killer OST.

Yes, the soundtrack is beautiful, very relaxing at times too. Also, opening FMV gave me chills when I first saw it.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
I wish I could go back in time and slap 17 year old me when he sold our copy.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i'm playing it for the first time right now as well and i truly cannot believe how good it is. it might be my favourite jrpg battle system ever?

i'm just playing on an emulator, though. congrats on actually owning it

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
i'm playing it for the first time right now as well and i truly cannot believe how good it is. it might be my favourite jrpg battle system ever?

i'm just playing on an emulator, though. congrats on actually owning it

Thanks. :) How is the Saturn emulation scene these days btw? I'd like to check it out but currently don't have a PC, just a Mac.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Thanks. :) I used to borrow a friend's copy of PD1 years ago and played it a lot, still don't own it or Zwei though. Hoping to get copies of both in the next few months.

Oh, definitely try to hunt down a copy of Zwei. It's my favourite PD game (and in my top five games of all time). I remember when I got my Saturn it came with a demo disc that had just a single level of Zwei on it. I played that for months until I could afford the full game!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I was one of two people that preordered the game at my Electronic's Boutique and they only got one copy when the game released lol. I preordered first, luckily.

anyways— masterpiece game- a genre great, one of the greatest OSTs ever too.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks. :) How is the Saturn emulation scene these days btw? I'd like to check it out but currently don't have a PC, just a Mac.
it's honestly perfect. i had some issues around disc swapping when i got to the second disc, but other than that the performance is really good

i don't own a saturn just because it's been too cost prohibitive where i live, so it's been a really good way for me to experience stuff i otherwise wouldn't have been able to (like zwei! it's really good!)

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Welcome to the club my friend. Easily one of the finest games ever made.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Oh yeah, OP, also check out the arranged album Saori Kobayashi did for the game's OST once you've finished it. The vinyl in particular is beautiful:

product_bw_panzerdragoon_front-back.png

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
it's honestly perfect. i had some issues around disc swapping when i got to the second disc, but other than that the performance is really good

i don't own a saturn just because it's been too cost prohibitive where i live, so it's been a really good way for me to experience stuff i otherwise wouldn't have been able to (like zwei! it's really good!)

It's really excellent. I have a physical copy of PDS but my Saturn broke a few years back. Just way more convenient to use a PC...

Thanks to both. Didn't realize there was such a huge improvement in the Saturn emulation scene.

Oct 26, 2017
I bought a PAL copy of this game as it released with the first ever pay from my first ever job in the summer of '98 and I still have it to this day.

OP
OP
Agent Unknown

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, definitely try to hunt down a copy of Zwei. It's my favourite PD game (and in my top five games of all time). I remember when I got my Saturn it came with a demo disc that had just a single level of Zwei on it. I played that for months until I could afford the full game!

It's funny, part of the reason I decided to finally try to get Saga was I recently had been thinking of some extra games to add to my Saturn library and thought "Wow, I still don't own a PD title on Saturn? I really need to finally get PD 1&2" and saw that prices for those are rising too. PD 1 now averages about $100-120 or more and Zwei can go for at least $150 now, sometimes even $200 (ebay prices). So I figured I might as well go for the entire trilogy before prices get even worse and knock out the biggest one first, ha.

Oh yeah, OP, also check out the arranged album Saori Kobayashi did for the game's OST once you've finished it. The vinyl in particular is beautiful:

product_bw_panzerdragoon_front-back.png

Oh wow, nice, that cover art is beautiful. I just listened to a sample track on the Materia records page, will definitely put this on my list. I actually started a modest vinyl collection last year.

Last edited:

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't believe this is a mechanical dead-end from an evolutionary perspective. Like I always thought maybe FF13 would adopt the battle system for its vehicle battles or something. No other game does anything even similar.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
It's funny, part of the reason I decided to finally try to get Saga was I recently had been thinking of some extra games to add to my Saturn library and thought "Wow, I still don't own a PD title on Saturn? I really need to finally get PD 1&2" and saw that prices for those are rising too. PD 1 now averages about $100-120 or more and Zwei can go for at least $150 now, sometimes even $200 (ebay prices). So I figured I might as well go for the entire trilogy before prices get even worse and knock out the biggest one first, ha.

Oh wow, nice, that cover art is beautiful. I just listened to a sample track on the Materia records page, will definitely put this on my list. I actually started a modest vinyl collection last year.

I don't think I'd ever sell my Panzer collection, but I guess it's good to know I'm sitting on a small goldmine if I ever need to, haha.

Yeah, that PDS record is a part of my own very small vinyl collection (it's basically that, the PD1 vinyl, Shenmue, the Nier boxset, Xenoblade Chronicles and a couple of random metal records lol).

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
I wish I had bought a copy when I owned a Saturn as a kid, but alas, I didn't know any better or was even aware of the games existence. I lived in Puerto Rico at the time and I wonder if any copies even made it to the island. Oh well, we may never know. Enjoy the game, OP!

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it for £27 new when it came out.

First JRPG I had ever played.
I genuinely think it ruined turn based combat in other games for me.

The battle system is so active and arcadey. Imagine if Sega's arcade sensibilities were translated to the JRPG formula. 4 discs, less than 20 hours, loved it.

It's a bit like Shenmue. It's an RPG that is completely different from every other RPG you've ever played. But Shenmue and Panzer Saga couldn't be more different.