• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Aw damn... I was hoping for a PC port. I've always longed for this game.
You may get your wish someday...

tfRrouX.jpg

screenshotted this azel artwork in 4K and cropped out the black bars. not sure if there are higher res scans of it online, but here ya go.

I managed to create something similar using the recent 20th anniversary album artwork and a few other scans. It's far from perfect, but at least the characters aren't low-res anymore. Enjoy!
Ww7aYOR.jpg

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Kind of odd that SEGA decided to release this of all its Xbox games on a digital storefront this year. Maybe they're planning a new Panzer Dragoon release/remake?

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's 2018 and this goddamned thread is about to make me buy an XB1X just to play PDO at a stupidly high resolution.

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of odd that SEGA decided to release this of all its Xbox games on a digital storefront this year. Maybe they're planning a new Panzer Dragoon release/remake?

Unlike a lot of other Sega games from the past, Panzer Dragoon has 0 licensed elements. It makes it much easier to re-release.
Licensed cars, music and even the fighter jets in Afterburner Climax all make ports and re-releases more complicated.

So while it's nice to have Orta back, I wouldn't read anything too much into their future plans for the franchise.
If it sells a million copies on the Xbox store then maybe we'll get more Panzer Dragoon. I bought my digital version even though I have the disc to support the cause.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unlike a lot of other Sega games from the past, Panzer Dragoon has 0 licensed elements. It makes it much easier to re-release.
Licensed cars, music and even the fighter jets in Afterburner Climax all make ports and re-releases more complicated.

So while it's nice to have Orta back, I wouldn't read anything too much into their future plans for the franchise.
If it sells a million copies on the Xbox store then maybe we'll get more Panzer Dragoon. I bought my digital version even though I have the disc to support the cause.
I think if Orta sold 100k on Xbox One, Sega would take notice.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I hate having no tutorials telling me I should switch to different modes of dragon and got shot down so many times in the first boss fight.
I thought looking away from it would help, kinda like if I didn't see it, it wouldn't hurt me.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I hate having no tutorials telling me I should switch to different modes of dragon and got shot down so many times in the first boss fight.
I thought looking away from it would help, kinda like if I didn't see it, it wouldn't hurt me.

This is from the time when games came with manuals you were supposed to read. One thing I like about PS classics on PS3 is the fact that Sony provides digital copies of manuals. Microsoft should take note.

Apr 21, 2018
I think if Orta sold 100k on Xbox One, Sega would take notice.
Is it necessary ?

According to many official sources, the revival strategy is a major axis for the next years.

And what informations reached Sega lately ? Their official 2016 poll who led to a new Sakura Taisen...

Following on the list: Jet Set Radio, Virtua fighter, Panzer Dragoons, Shining Force, Skies of Arcadia, Streets of Rage, Space Channel.

For several of them, it won't be that complicated since Am2 is still offering solid outputs, as well as Valkyria Team and Sega is a quite flexible company who allows his preview employees to use their IP (REZ, Shenmue), often works with them (Sega Prope games).
Futatsugi announced his desire to make Panzer Dragoon games, Camelot spoke about Shining Force 4 dream.
I think it's time for Sega boys to fight for their destiny ;)

Looking forward to crush humans and dragons bones in a new panzer dragoon !

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that I can play half of the Panzer Dragoon series on my Xbox One is just awesome.

Make sure to rate the game in the Xbox store too! Every little bit of recognition helps.

Nov 8, 2017
All we've seen this year regarding Panzer Dragoon is probably an opportunity for SEGA to try & see how the audience reacts, with little risks from them:
- allowing/licencing a Panzer Dragoon Saga 20th Anniversary re-arrangement album
- re-releasing digitally the OSTs of the 4 original games for the first time in the West, while they didn't bother before
- allowing Orta bc on X1

Despite some fans raging that it will never happen, I believe these fans are wrong, at least I am certain the door is certainly not closed anymore. Things change, SEGA had other priorities before, but we need to keep reminding them we love the series, and more importantly, it is not just for us but because it is an IP that has potential. I mean some games have sold a lot but have a very common plot/lore hence you cannot do much more with theese games. But Panzer Dragoon games ? The potential is limitless.
At least give Panzer Dragoon Saga the opportunity to shine. An opportunity it was never granted given the tragic circumstances of the Saturn era.

We fans, have an opportunity to send a message. Let's seize it.

Let's get all of the above. I don't work for SEGA, I am just a fan who has been a fan of the series, especially 'Saga', for 20 years. And after seeing that nothing happened in this period, I simply decided to create a community.
I was just as amazed as you to see 2018 turned out to be a fantastic year for Panzer Dragoon fans.
Let's not let it end there.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great scans. It's crazy to see how big of a leap Orta was from Saga which itself was one of the most impressive Saturn titles

Nov 8, 2017
Great scans. It's crazy to see how big of a leap Orta was from Saga which itself was one of the most impressive Saturn titles

Well one can say it was a leap because technically yes, there is a big leap. Two generations of consoles so yea, SAGA has aged.
But ORTA also disappointed some original fans of SAGA. It was not easy to build a game on SAGA's heritage.
I don't want to start a war here, just say that the leap you mention sounds like something 'good' in your mouth but it was not always what fans felt. At least not all of them.

I won't lie, I was disappointed. It was not the game I expected having loved SAGA so much. In fact, I only played ORTA YEARS later. And it's only been since the game has been made backward compatible and that it is what it is today on the One and One X that I actually like the game. I think in its current form, it does justice to the vision its makers had for ORTA. Honestly, I couldn't fully appreciate it before.
It's weird but not uncommon within the community. Some have always preferred the rail shooters with an arcade feeling while others preferred SAGA.

On the other hand, one can say that ORTA certainly helped to grow the community. A lot of ORTA fans never played the previous games.

And I'm sure a lot of new players will be interested in playing remakes of the previous games.

Hey I found this 3 page EDGE article on Panzer Dragoon Saga that before I had missed!

EJ1uOKM.jpg

Edit: better scans -

l0YZuIe.jpg

YJdWhSN.jpg

zfWItQS.jpg

Z1MGRrV.jpg

Thanks for the scans !

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I meant a leap visually only. In terms of artistic style I feel they are both similar too.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it necessary ?

According to many official sources, the revival strategy is a major axis for the next years.

And what informations reached Sega lately ? Their official 2016 poll who led to a new Sakura Taisen...

Following on the list: Jet Set Radio, Virtua fighter, Panzer Dragoons, Shining Force, Skies of Arcadia, Streets of Rage, Space Channel.

For several of them, it won't be that complicated since Am2 is still offering solid outputs, as well as Valkyria Team and Sega is a quite flexible company who allows his preview employees to use their IP (REZ, Shenmue), often works with them (Sega Prope games).
Futatsugi announced his desire to make Panzer Dragoon games, Camelot spoke about Shining Force 4 dream.
I think it's time for Sega boys to fight for their destiny ;)

Looking forward to crush humans and dragons bones in a new panzer dragoon !
Money speaks more to a company than anything else.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
litebrite SirNinja
I completely agree ! Let's send a message to Sega.

I was just saying the comeback of Panzer Dragoon is obvious anyway (because the new strategy is probably not a one shot)

Several IPs sequels already have been announced and remaining series of the top ten are very limited. ("PD", SOA, VF, SF)

Sooner or later, Panzer Dragoon will rise again, like the phoenix ;)

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well one can say it was a leap because technically yes, there is a big leap. Two generations of consoles so yea, SAGA has aged.
But ORTA also disappointed some original fans of SAGA. It was not easy to build a game on SAGA's heritage.
I don't want to start a war here, just say that the leap you mention sounds like something 'good' in your mouth but it was not always what fans felt. At least not all of them.

I won't lie, I was disappointed. It was not the game I expected having loved SAGA so much. In fact, I only played ORTA YEARS later. And it's only been since the game has been made backward compatible and that it is what it is today on the One and One X that I actually like the game. I think in its current form, it does justice to the vision its makers had for ORTA. Honestly, I couldn't fully appreciate it before.
It's weird but not uncommon within the community. Some have always preferred the rail shooters with an arcade feeling while others preferred SAGA.

On the other hand, one can say that ORTA certainly helped to grow the community. A lot of ORTA fans never played the previous games.

And I'm sure a lot of new players will be interested in playing remakes of the previous games.

Thanks for the scans !
I'm not sure why anyone would be disappointed coming off of Saga when it's a side RPG. That's like being disappointed that they made Mario 64 instead of Super Mario RPG 2.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not sure why anyone would be disappointed coming off of Saga when it's a side RPG. That's like being disappointed that they made Mario 64 instead of Super Mario RPG 2.

Did you play Saga ? If yes, you probably know there are inconsistencies in terms of narrative and art direction as well. But that's ok..
In Mario lore, they made loads of games and they don't bother if stories connect in every game, they simply don't care. Just like in Zelda games with timelines, they don't care.
But Panzer Dragoon cannot be compared in that perspective.
As I said before, Futatsugi himself said Orta's story was an interpretation of the events. Which tells a lot, given how polite Japanese culture is.

Money speaks more to a company than anything else.

Well there is money to make, especially for these retro games on the Switch. I'd get a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake on several consoles but if that means I can take my favorite game anywhere I want with me, I'll definitely spend more hours on a Switch version.
I also believe this console would do real good to the series and attract a new audience, more than traditional consoles could. And from mouth to hear, it would sell on PS4 & Xbox One as well. That's how I see things for this IP.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

What do you mean? There was 1 gen difference between Saga and Orta. Saturn is gen 5, Xbox is gen 6. But Saturn is the weakest 3D console of gen 5 and Xbox is the strongest 3D console of gen 6, so of course there is a big difference. Probably helped that Orta wasn't a huge RPG like Saga, too.

Nov 8, 2017
What do you mean? There was 1 gen difference between Saga and Orta. Saturn is gen 5, Xbox is gen 6. But Saturn is the weakest 3D console of gen 5 and Xbox is the strongest 3D console of gen 6, so of course there is a big difference. Probably helped that Orta wasn't a huge RPG like Saga, too.

No Panzer Dragoon was planned/done on the Dreamcast. Dreamcast discontinued in 2001. Than in 2002, in the lifecycle of the Xbox (more powerful than DC), we had Orta. So I'm not going to argue about wich numbered gen this is, but one can see there as been a leap in terms of technology here.
And it shows from Saga to Orta.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
No Panzer Dragoon was planned/done on the Dreamcast. Dreamcast discontinued in 2001. Than in 2002, in the lifecycle of the Xbox (more powerful than DC), we had Orta. So I'm not going to argue about wich numbered gen this is, but one can see there as been a leap in terms of technology here.

That is some weird logic.

But yeah, the leap in 3D processing power between Saga and Orta was big, even though it was only 1 gen.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And it shows from Saga to Orta.

Yea I figured you meant dreamcast when you said 2. I was lump up dreamcast with the Xbox/Ps2/Gamecube Gen mainly because a ton of its games were directly ported to those consoles. The original Xbox was just such a beast when it launched that it makes it feel like a different gen compared to the dreamcast. The dreamcast was weaker than the gamecube and ps2 in a variety of areas but not by leaps and bounds which is why I still lump them together. Anyways we all agree that the visuals were a massive jump and that's the main thing.

Has anyone who tried orta for the first time beat it?

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
anyone else having problems buying the game? on the xbox store it always reject my credit card payment saying the "purchase can currently not be completed". but my credit card is ok. buying on the xbox website is seemingly working, but the game does not appear in my ready to install list.

Nov 8, 2017
I will just share this with you:
Yukio Futatsugi is teaming with Swery for a RPG game. It is Swery's game/concept but if you want Futatsugi to be successful, you can support them.

I believe if Yukio Futatsugi works on a RPG with his team, it might give him new ideas for a potential Panzer Dragoon remake. Also if they want to make a game... it would be sad if they cannot pursue their vision.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing this, on Chapter 4 on Hard and haven't died yet. But that's a mark of a great fucking game. It's been so many years and I'm learning the mechanics as I play, but the game clearly never takes the piss with its difficulty.

I do wonder if I'll pass the whole game without dying, but either way, this game is beautiful af.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from needing to look up the (mandatory) response to the purpose seeker shots during the second and third final boss phases, I actually had an easier time coming back than I expected. Game is brilliant. All the optional stuff unlocked in the archives. I'm definitely pleased how will this aged.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
So I managed to beat Episode 7 boss first try on Hard. Haven't died yet. But I was CLOSE

Strangely enough, he was the one boss I remembered how to fight. I have a bunch of gameplay clips to stitch together.

I'm really shit and making sure the form I want levels up though... I didn't want Base to be higher than Level 2 the entire game but sadly it's 3.2

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, did the whole game without dying except the final boss... Who took me five tried because he was an attack you can only beat one way with only one dragon type.

Regardless :D what a beautiful game!

Nov 8, 2017
Welp, did the whole game without dying except the final boss... Who took me five tried because he was an attack you can only beat one way with only one dragon type.

Regardless :D what a beautiful game!

Congratulations for completing it in hard mode. The game is known for not being that easy..

PS: I just updated another topic if you want to have a look
https://www.resetera.com/posts/7133370/

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018

Thanks for the scans !

Interesting.
I was also disapointed by Orta but not for the same reasons. (I knew it wasn't a RPG so I didn't expect a Saga vibe)
In fact, i was wishing a Zwei direct continuation but after the first 30 minutes I fell in love with the new atmosphere.
It sometimes reminds me Skies of Arcadia... (indeed, some composers worked on both series !)

Step by step, I also remembered that Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2 didn't have the same composers but both had breathtaking aura,
and it helped me adopting the new ambience.

After 15 years, glad to see the art section, chara design are style so stylish.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

That purple seeker beam attack is fine once you know how to respond, but I don't like that it basically falls into a category of needing to know the *one* solution to it. It feels out of place in terms of the whole game's design.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
That purple seeker beam attack is fine once you know how to respond, but I don't like that it basically falls into a category of needing to know the *one* solution to it. It feels out of place in terms of the whole game's design.

Yeah

When it first happened I was in glide mode and I was like...

What even happened.

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
Beat it over the weekend. Plays great and still looks beautiful.

I was having an easy time with the last boss until the purple seekers. I knew I didn't remember it being that easy. Still only took a few tries.

Its a shame the bonus version of Panzer Dragoon with the Blur filter looks so bad on a modern tv.

Nov 2, 2017
An amazing game. I played it on acid as a kid and it blew my mind. I vividly remember one part in the sky fighting other dragons that left rainbow trails behind them. I think the level starts with your dragon running along the ground. Just an incredible experience. I don't have an X but this almost makes me want one.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone having weird audio glitches/hiccups? Inserted my disc... but I assume it's playing from a digital download, correct? Xbox One S here.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
An amazing game. I played it on acid as a kid and it blew my mind.
lol...I can't imagine doing this while on LSD. Chapter 7 in particular would be the trippiest thing ever.

My body is ready for ORTA 2 at E3 2018. ;)
I don't want to get my hopes up for anything like that, but I will say Sega's been on quite the streak recently with things like the Shenmue remasters. They said Shenmue was the most-requested series to return...I hope Panzer was a close second.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played through it few times with my X down sampling to my 1080p TV. Its a gorgeous game. It's like Okami in that it holds up very well visially despite its age... better in some ways.