• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
When I was in third grade, we got to try out the computer lab for the first time. I think it was also the last year we had these old Apple II computers in the lab. I want to know what these lame games it had were. I remember there was a rock-paper-scissors game where you always lose and a building light bulb pizzle game that made no sense. I don't remember anything else from the class besides that.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Grand Theft Auto
Tank Wars

God during our ungodly amounts of free time we would just hoard those computers and play those for countless amounts of time.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
My school had a mix of older and newer computers. Of the games I remember:

-Treasure Math Storm
-Sticky Bear
-Nanosaur (was on the one ultra new I-Mac!)
-The Electric Chalkboard (?)

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Some sneaky employee installed Nanosaur on my elementary school's '98 iMac's. I also had a teacher who would give us our workload in advance for the week then, and if we finished early we could work on a giant paper mache t-rex or play on her PC which had Lemmings, Battlezone, and Doom. (I was in her classes from the 2nd to the 5th grade, so I'm not sure how she pulled that one off.)

nanosaur_1009.jpg

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I remember someone, somehow had installed Quake 2 and it was possible to play from any of the computers in the two labs and there was ALWAYS a multiplayer match going.

I don't know how long that lasted, but I wasted my fair share of class playing.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
I remember we had Chuckie Egg on the BBC Micro we had in middle school

I think we also had 'Predator', though its possible someone brought that in from home

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
DUDE this screenshot gives me major flashbacks, sounds and everything

The only game I can remember in primary school in the UK was this weird game that just taught basic UI interaction (layout of keys on a keyboard, clicking, double clicking etc).

Nso6UxI.png

I can't find a screenshot or name anywhere so heres a mock up. The only thing I remember was this weird green table character in a grey maze lol I feel like there were arrows for movement were on the screen somewhere, maybe near the bottom or at the edges.
Looks like Number Munchers but don't remember the maze bit

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Kings Quest, and I played the hell out of it.

It was like a diamond in the rough among Number Munchers.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Like the other UK kids I remember Granny's Garden on the BBC model B, especially this bit:

L4njC4m.jpg

I also remember Oregon Trail on the BBC, Zarch on the Archimedes, and one science teacher had the golf game Links on their PC. I was blown away by Links' graphics compared to PGA Tour Golf on my Amiga.

But most of all I remember Spheres of Chaos, a trippy Asteroids clone on the Archimedes that may explain why I love Geometry Wars so much. The leaderboard had 100 spaces and we didn't get to play often, so everyone had a good chance of recording their high score. I think I was in the top 5 when I left school.

Oct 28, 2017
We had a lot of the standard edutainment games—Carmen Sandiego, Oregon Trail, Number Crunchers, Math Blaster, Mario Teaches Typing—but there was nothing "inexplicable" about those since they were at at least nominally educational (though there wasn't much to take away from Oregon Trail other than "boy, long-distance travel sure was brutal before trains came along"). The purely entertainment titles that had less business being on school computers were Shufflepuck Café, Glider, and (yes!) Dark Castle.

Oct 27, 2017
Rotherham, England
It wasn't a game as such but I remember there was an application for Acorn where you could design scenes by dragging and dropping characters and objects onto a pre-made background. I seem to remember there was a swimming pool background that you could add diving boards to and stuff. My Google-fu is bringing up nothing.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tomb Raider. Has no idea how it ends up on our school computer, surprised it could run well.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Aside from the usual Oregon Trail/NumberMunchers/Math Blaster type games that every school had when I was a kid, I loved playing Missile Command on school computers. Never knew why they had it, but they did. Also the old Microsoft Entertainment Pack games, Ski Free and Jezzball and Chip's Challenge and Rodent's Revenge, stuff like that.

Also we had some bizarre early internet games that the object was to kill Mickey Mouse or Barney the Dinosaur.

goku01899

Oct 29, 2017
In elementary school Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, and SimCity. After that in high school someone put an N64 and SNES emulator with all the ROMS on the school district's network drive. In computer class we were able to play everything from MK3, Majora's Mask, to Tenchi Muyo RPG. It took them about a year before they finally took them down.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My schools had Apple IIs well into the 90s, so the games at my school were primitive. The one I remember enjoying the most was a parser-based graphic adventure called Transylvania.

a238dd080b433b0663ed0f0751799966.jpg

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
holy shit i haven't thought about or seen this game for at least a decade and a half

what even is it called?
Gorillas. It was a sample game for QBasic that came with DOS 5 and later, along with Nilbbles. Nibbles was a riff on Nibbler and the archetype of the "snake" game popularized by old Nokia phones, while Gorrillas was essentially a reskinned Artillery Duel featuring giant apes throwing exploding bananas.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Not counting Apple II stuff and Carmen Sandiego, etc. that the school had bought intentionally, I remember in 6th grade the computers had a pretty good version of Joust loaded, in High School the labs had OG Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3D, also the drafting class PCs had UT 99' on it for some reason.

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
Half-Life Death Match. I installed it on everything in our science room. We enjoyed Study Hall greatly.

MS-DOS Battle Chess.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
The original Prince of Persia (1989).

In... 2001. That was my introduction to the series, actually!

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Halo CE, there'd always be a ton of kids around the school playing across the LAN.

mokostroika2

Oct 27, 2017
back in '99, i would bring floppies to school and download games from abandonware websites, so a lot of those i installed to see how they were - the old xcoms, heretic/hexen, wolf3d, strife, stunts 4d driving [and 4d boxing!], commander keens and old rpg's [eye of beholderr, ultima underworlds, etc] so on and so on.

the school library had a bunch of computers so i would always use a different one - and i had a folder on the desktop with them - if anyone was curios enough to open and try to run them, then they would play a bunch of random titles. lol

one teacher was all in awe that you could get free games and i remember he wrote down the websites. i still remember the "it came from abandonware" icon thing on these websites [web ring button?]

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I remember my elementary school library computers also having Kid Pix which was like an easier and fancier drawing program then what was included in DOS or Windows 3.1 at the time.
Kid_Pix_1.0_About.png

Also, that somehow reminded me that we inevitably had Where in the World is Carmen San Diego

maxresdefault.jpg

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
We had a bunch of shitty edutainment games I can't remember in Elementary School.

In high school one of my 9th grade teachers put Unreal Tournament on all of the room's computers and the last month-something was just us playing Unreal Tournament all day (the class's "final" was already done by that point because it was part of a program that had the "big test" in early May). And yes, the teacher fucking DESTROYED us all. ;w;

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a weird DOS Mario with two levels (1-1 sort of and a Castle). A wired frame racing game . It was early 90s. A lot of typing game stuff aswell!1

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly sort of amazed at the few (if any?) mentions I've seen of the (mostly MECC) classics of my youth like:
  • Odell Lake
  • Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego
  • DinoPark Tycoon
  • Number Munchers
  • Oregon Trail (the original)
  • and so on
EDIT found some more MECC classics:
  • Miner's Cave
  • Pizza To Go
  • Paper Plane Pilot

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not counting games stuff brought from home, there was Kickman in the early '80s.

Bringing pixely pictures of naked women to put on classroom Commodore 64s was a good time. It became a game of turning the monitors on and off while the teacher wasn't looking.