• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is 1.1 firmware dropping?

• Friday (28th)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Weekend (29-30)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Monday (31st)

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • February

Votes: 20 58.8%

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
I hope one day we see a DS equivalent of this. This device looks amazing but I simply don't have a big enough collection of games to justify it.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Me too, although I've been thinking about how a DS/3DS version would work.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For most common games you will find sellers that have opened the cart and taken pictures of the PCB. This is probably the easiest way to avoid fakes, but often they will not be the cheapest copy for sale.
I've seen listings with open carts and could see the label of the cart in the background of the pic was a repro label.

What is on the inside of a fake?
There are videos on YT on how to spot fakes. Look them up.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
We've been joking about FOMO, but more seriously, if they do sell out immediately Analogue does a second batch immediately after the first and they will be available again rapidly. It isn't worth a dicey financial situation for a few weeks of wait especially as we are already waiting months for the first batch as it is.
I think I'll do that then! Tbh I just wanted to show appreciation to analogue since I really really love my Mega SG. And it's infuriating bc we do quite well financially (for Spain, at least), but she really dislikes videogames...

OP
OP
SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I still have this weird thing. Which is weird, but neat.

Kotaku even wrote an article on it after my post from the old country.

oWKFIibh.jpg

ZnTXUyRh.jpg

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
That's a modded DS lite right? I was thinking about attempting one myself but ended up just buying a backlit, rechargeable GBA. I like it, but I'll probably never use it once I get the Analogue pocket.

I've noticed GBA carts have gone up in prices. This probably won't help things. I'm also gonna pick up some more Game Gear Carts and some Neo-Geo Pocket Color carts as well. There are a couple of CIB games at my local Half-Priced books that I've been eyeing for a few weeks.

I also think it'd be really cool if that made an adapter for Wonderswan and Wonderswan color games. I've always wanted to check some of those out.

I can't wait to see how good Minish Cap looks on this thing. I've stopped playing it in anticipation.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the look of this but I HATED playing GBA games on the DS (either the Phat or the Lite) because I didn't like the button placement for A/B. I'd prefer to use the Y/B buttons as B/A buttons for GBA games. Is it possible to configure the buttons to do this...?

Also, there's a guy online that sells these but I forgot the site. Anyone know it?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I somehow completely missed that the Nt Mini was FPGA-based

when are they making more of those

are they as good as the 16-bit ones

how can i get one without spending over 1k on eBay

drowning in fomo right now

I wouldn't hold my breath on an NT Mini restock. This is the last statement they made regarding it.

Nt mini is currently unavailable

Nt mini is an incredibly difficult and time consuming product to manufacture. We're currently focused on Super Nt and we don't have the manpower to produce another run at this time. Nt mini unfortunately requires a borderline unreasonable amount of oversight from our best people. We appreciate your understanding and please know we're bummed we can't make it available at this time, too.

OP
OP
SoH

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
While digging things out and getting it all together.. me and my partner's combined weird-ass collection. Need to track down a few more, not sure where they've gone off to. I sold my original grey brick and all my games to get an N64. First and last time I ever did that. Maybe I was better off not keeping NBA Jam TE on Game Boy around, like as a person. Who can say.

f6VBcIMh.jpg

3NRmkk6h.jpg

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope one day we see a DS equivalent of this. This device looks amazing but I simply don't have a big enough collection of games to justify it.

I'm hoping for as far as a 3DS equivalent, but I understand that FPGA tech might not get there for quite a while. I'm mostly interested in having one with a docking ability, there isn't any good 3DS TV out solution and I would prefer to have the flexibility to play all of these games on both a handheld and TV. The ability to use 8bitdo controllers with this is a HUGE plus.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I am so insanely excited for this thing. Not only to play my GB/GBC/GBA collection through again on a nice, slick, piece of tech -- but also to get back into chip tune music! I used to fiddle around with it and always loved the idea but will definitely dive back in with this thing.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I think that's due to the form factor. I bet we see a new NES device that looks more like their recent consoles at some point. I sure hope so.
I imagine the Mini's analog-out feature is probably a big part of this, too. They offloaded analog video to the DAC for their 16-bit systems and the Pocket, and my guess is that the Nt Mini would be more sustainable as a reissue with (1) a plastic shell and (2) HDMI-out only. Hopefully we'll see one at some point.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Well it is true that the point of seeing the PCB is to verify it's legit.
My feeling is that if you're paying for a legit copy then you should be getting a 100% legit copy. A label replacement should knock the price down.

I imagine the Mini's analog-out feature is probably a big part of this, too. They offloaded analog video to the DAC for their 16-bit systems and the Pocket, and my guess is that the Nt Mini would be more sustainable as a reissue with (1) a plastic shell and (2) HDMI-out only. Hopefully we'll see one at some point.
Probably only a NES cart slot also and they'd sell a Famicom cart adapter separately or people could use the ones we've been using for 30+ years.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
These articles both miss the two biggest tells.
I bought a counterfeit Mr. Driller cart years ago.

Look at the GameBoy Advance logo on the shell. The bootleg ones almost never get it right. It's always weird. Additionally, look how snug the cart is laid down side-by-side with a regular cart. They usually can't squeeze a game cart into place without it bulging somewhere, even if it's subtle.

Oct 31, 2017
While digging things out and getting it all together.. me and my partner's combined weird-ass collection. Need to track down a few more, not sure where they've gone off to. I sold my original grey brick and all my games to get an N64. First and last time I ever did that. Maybe I was better off not keeping NBA Jam TE on Game Boy around, like as a person. Who can say.

Get Boktai 3 ;)

The Game Boy Advance SP got GB/GC/GBA support.

A GBA playing GBA games isn't that surprising ! :P

Those look neat though, especially the FF one. I remember being in love with some of those JP-only models. Boktai got one as well back then.

Last edited:

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to pull the trigger on a very modded GBA wide but would like to get this instead after impressions are out. But now I'm getting FOMO about a possible lack of a second run. Unlikely, but possible.

Then again I'm sure the resale would hold up fine if I did get one immediately and it wasn't to my liking.

My main concern is controls quality, which so few devices get right these days. I feel like d-pad and button quality has declined since the '80s and '90s, which is weird.

In the case of this device
- (major) a perfect d-pad will be crucial (every 8bitdo one i've tried has disappointed)
- (medium) I feel like the face buttons look too closely bunched together, needs tested
- (minor) start/select should be more traditionally placed

If the AP pans out to be great the one thing I will definitely miss from my prior GBA plan is that comfier wide form factor. The prospect of that increased comfort on my poor wrists is really alluring.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who else is buying GBA carts now, so far I grabbed the 4 Mario ports, every Pokemon game, and Aira of Sorrow.
On the fence about getting a 4 collection of Megaman Zero for $70 bucks. A lot more expensive than the other ones.
Still looking for battle network and megaman and bass.

Stop it, GBA is a dead system with no good games. No one buy Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis it's lame.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I was about to pull the trigger on a very modded GBA wide but would like to get this instead after impressions are out. But now I'm getting FOMO about a possible lack of a second run. Unlikely, but possible.

Then again I'm sure the resale would hold up fine if I did get one immediately and it wasn't to my liking.

My main concern is controls quality, which so few devices get right these days. I feel like d-pad and button quality has declined since the '80s and '90s, which is weird.

In the case of this device
- (major) a perfect d-pad will be crucial (every 8bitdo one i've tried has disappointed)
- (medium) I feel like the face buttons look too closely bunched together, needs tested
- (minor) start/select should be more traditionally placed

If the AP pans out to be great the one thing I will definitely miss from my prior GBA plan is that comfier wide form factor. The prospect of that increased comfort on my poor wrists is really alluring.
This is nearly exactly what I've been thinking of since this was announced. That we can use external controllers is a good thing; but then if that's my solution to the built-in controls, this is not really a portable for me (added dock cost as well) and then what's the point? ;_:

Do I need this?

*looks at collection*

jooraGB.jpg

yep, I need this.
That's just, great. :D (I can spot the four I own in there.)

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Be very, very, careful when buying GBA games. Only buy from reputable sellers and learn about all the signs of a fake. When in doubt, post a pic here or in the various retro game OTs.

Do I need this?

*looks at collection*

jooraGB.jpg

yep, I need this.

Sweet jesus, 2x Famicom GBA Micros and a Final Fantasy one.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
So I bought an Everdrive GB X3 and it is amazing. Of course as soon as I put it into my GBA SP, the hinge exploded. I was able to get a plain ass replacement shell on Amazon with same day shipping though, so I'm good till I get my hands on this Analogue Pocket.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are some good sources?

I don't actually have and good ones unfortunately, I've just been carefully buying on EBay. TBH I think from here on I'm going to look at disc replay and other old game physical stores first, and then see if I can get them online cheaper.

It wasn't even a lot of games unfortunately. Most of that money was like shipping for the 5 of them and Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel, which is a rare game with an already inflated price.

May 24, 2019
The clips they've been posting on Instagram of the DAW sounds awesome. Almost bringing me around on this even though I own maybe 4 GBA games total and no GB games