• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was everyone's first computer and first computer game?

OmegaDL50

It had a AMD K6-2 at 300Mhz, I had 32MB of SDRAM, it had a 3GB HDD, graphic adapter was an ATI 3D Rage, and was on Windows 95. It lasted me like 4 months and died horribly due to some Phantom E Drive error as a result of Bios corruption and ultimately motherboard failure.

The earliest PC game I recall playing on it was the original Diablo back in 1998. Of course the PC didn't survive long so I really didn't get into PC gaming until I got my 2nd PC a few months later which mainly ran Diablo 1, Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, The Ultimate RPG Archives - http://www.mocagh.org/loadpage.php?query=[publisher]Interplay/Origin/NWC/Sir-Tech , and the original Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, that came on 5 CDs.

That was 18 years ago.

Hesh

My first computer was a Gateway 2000 computer my dad bought our family in like 1990 or 1991, I can't remember the specs, but it had both kinds of floppy drives which was cool. I honestly can't remember the first game, but I remember my older brother and I playing a lot of computer games on that until CD-ROM got popular and we got left in the dust. I think my first computer game might have been Math Blaster or Word Blaster.

nullpoynter

Bs5qhNw.jpg

jkSnTCs.jpg

Me too! I loved my Commodore 64 and Jumpman Jr.

Fredrik

Spectravideo SVI-328
DDARPam.jpg

Armoured Assault
Li4Ahqz.jpg

Spectron
yfvPngp.jpg

I think it was meant to compete with C64 but it never really catched on. Still a great computer and I had lots of fun with it. I don't know if all basics were like this back then but you could write music by writing the notes in the code or the frequenzy and pan around by increasing the frequenzy. And graphics were super easy to do too, you just types down the geometric figures and their sizes and if they should be colored etc. Tons of fun for a kid.

Honestly, however, using pokes and peeks, you should be able to come up with a subroutine on the C64 that does just that.

Where C64 programming becomes amazing (to me at least) and absolute fascinating is when you start learning how to do sprite multiplexing. Complicated, yes, but essential if you want to make awesome software for the machine.

Agreed, but 10yo me was just confused by it all. =) I wish I had been about 10 years older during the 8-bit era.

Amstrad CPC 6128+, although years later I'd find out that It was bought really late in its lifespan.

The First game? A double plack with Renegade and Wizball. We never got the hang of Wizball and Renegade being just Renegade, it was not exactly a great beggining. The most redeeming part of Ren was that it came by default with an WSAD layout (although replacing the S with space).

Moving to PC IBM compatible many years later, a P166 MMX with Duke Nukem 3d.

Mentat

Banned
I don't remember what my first PC was exactly, it had a 386 processor. My first PC game was King's Quest V.

My first PC was an off the shelf Acer (around 1997 or 1998) that my father bought for my brother and myself. We also got some PC games with it, including Tomb Raider. But my first PC game was when I was much younger, we had a computer class that had a bunch of floppy-disc DOS games.

Lostfinch

Neo Member
I don't remember what the first PC we had in the house was. The first game I remember was Shadowgate and I never finished it. I keep meaning to find it and complete it.

My first PC was a Pentium 90 with a 1GB hard drive. I don't remember the details of it beyond that besides it had a pretty awesome graphics card (for the time). The first game I got for it was Doom which I was obsessed with. I was always downloading WADs and ended up running out of hard drive space and decided to delete random files that I figured didn't matter including system.ini. It was actually pretty awesome doing that because it's when I started to get interested in how computers actually work.

Nessus

First computer was an XT but there weren't really any games for that.

First PC games were Doom, Doom II, TIE Fighter, WarCraft, Descent, X-Com: Terror From The Deep, and Alone In The Dark 3 all pretty much from the same time period for my 486.

I remember upgrading the 486 with an additional 4 MB of RAM and a 4 speed CD ROM drive. The drive cost something like $400, the RAM another $300 or so, I believe.

TriAceJP

The two I most distinctly remember are Doom and BusyTown.

I had an interesting childhood.

Oh, first computer that I remember having was custom built PC my uncle rigged for my family that we went on to upgrade the hardware to run Windows 95. I also picked up a Tandy at a yard sale when I was 7 or so and played with that a lot.

DJ_Lae

Dark Castle on a Mac Plus, late 1986 or early 1987 (I can't remember exactly).

Brzitgt.jpg

Played it on a computer my dad had brought to a meeting at Radium Hot Springs. Basically sat in a corner of a board room after a meeting while a few people were working out changes to a funding model or something.

I was five. It was awesome.

edit - I actually have that exact computer in a closet, although it no longer works. Scooped it up when they cleared out a ton of old tech about 15 years ago along with an external 40MB hard drive. Some day I'll go back and fix it, but I do have a working Mac Classic that I use mostly for Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle as I've never been able to successfully emulate them.

Werd

Don't know the model, but I played some stuff like Commander Keen and Stunts on a DOS PC for me and my brother, and watched my dad play/played some of Wolfenstein 3d and later Doom on his. He would play Doom online with his work friends and sneak us on for a life here and there.

The first computer I specifically remember was buying parts for our own individual custom 200 Mhz Pentiums and having us help put them together on Christmas. It was great, we had 3 player LAN games of Age of Empire where it would be me and my brother controlling one army together and my dad the other. Myth: The Fallen Lords was my first big online game and is still one of my favorites.

I remember some of the controllers we had too.. first gamepad we had was this SNES looking thing where you could screw in a joystick to the middle of the d-pad then later a SideWinder. SideWinder Force Feedback Pro was a big present one yet, I loved that thing.

Fantomas

The first computer we had in the house was an MS-DOS machine that my mom used for work. I don't think we ever had any games on it though.

There were computers at my pre-school back when I was like 4 years old. I remember there was an old Sierra adventure game called Mixed Up Fairy Tales that I used to play. That's probably the first computer game I played.

I remember playing some games on my aunt's Mac when I was around that age too when we went over to her house, but I can't really recall any specific games.

The first computer games that I have really strong memories of playing though are Star Wars: Dark Forces and Dark Forces II over at my friend's house on their Windows 95 machine.

My mom didn't get a new computer until shortly after Windows 98 came out, that was when I really started playing computer games a lot.

Didn't get on the PC bandwagon until my high school years. We had plenty of consoles before that though. The PC had a Celeron 600mhz CPU, Riva TNT2 16MB GPU and 64MB SD RAM. It wasn't very good for gaming but it was supposed to be for our school work. Can't remember what the first game played though but I remember playing Unreal Tournament, Quake 2 and 3 pretty early on as well as Starsiege: Tribes.

Jebral

My first was a Celeron 500 with 64mb of ram (Compaq!) in the neighborhood of 2000.

I didn't understand integrated video and why it was bad at the time. I got both Thief (or Thief 2?) and Deus Ex, but couldn't get them to work for the longest. Deus Ex literally was in seconds per frame territory. The very first game I ever played on my PC, though, was Quake 2.

Later on, I got a hand-me-down 3DFX card from a friend so I could go back and play those games.

Roshin

My first computer was a C64 with a 1541 disk drive. The first game(s) were Sanxion (hence my avatar) and Delta. The games were great and nothing has come close to the music since.

Sanxion4.gif

My first PC was a 486/33 Mhz and the first two games I bought for it was Syndicate and Betrayal at Krondor. Good times.

Sometimes I miss the huge floppies we had back then.

Mine was a zx spectrum 82. It came with a casette tape drive for loading games (which took approx 40 mins). The games we had were munch man (pac man ripoff) and asteroids

Almighty

Don't remember much but it some some HP in like 90-91 with either a 386 or a 486 in it. As for first games well it is kind of a blur, but my friends and I played a lot of Jones in the Fast Lane, Quest for Glory VGA remake, Warlords (1&2), and Scorched Earth

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Mine is a lil different.

My first computer I actually had as my own was a Gateway in 1999. My first computer game tho is Zork around 1986 maybe? Got the game to play over a cousins house.

Top Bottom