• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

It should just be plug and play, no soldering. The port itself puts out YCbCr so it should be fairly trivial to covert that to DVI, which is what GCVideo is doing. The hard part is manufacturing a plug that fits into that port.

RexRogers

Neo Member
It should just be plug and play, no soldering. The port itself puts out YCbCr so it should be fairly trivial to covert that to DVI, which is what GCVideo is doing. The hard part is manufacturing a plug that fits into that port.
That last part is correct. I've been communicating with the HD Retrovision guys and they state that they could create a chip as they're using for the snes and Genesis to convert the digital out to either component or digital hdmi. It's the proprietary plug design that's the real problem.

televator

I always wondered... Since it is just YCbCr... Wouldn't it just be possible to hard wire a DVI connector now that people have figured out the pins?

I bought super smash online and it doesn't work in the GameCube :(. It was listed as good condition and tested. I'll have to send it back and get another copy. It's a shame too because it was a birthday present.

braves01

Banned
If the HDMI mod really is just plug and play with no mods to the console, I'd definitely be interested. And hopefully they're relatively cheap if the whole raison detre is to be an affordable alternative to the component cables.

Banned
Goddamn I miss this console and everything it stood for :(

Great name that Nintendo should have stuck with, memorable boot up song, cool logo, multiple color options, the marketing for it, beefy specs while still being small (not as good as Xbox but stronger than PS2), a more standard controller (I loved having different shaped buttons, it worked) the analog/digital hybrid triggers. The risk taking first party content (making Metroid first person and giving it to a new studio, making Zelda cartoony, Mario Sunshine being different than 64, giving F-Zero to Sega, etc) and third party support, especially from Japanese devs. And to this day, it still has the definitive version of Tales of Symphonia :p. And the greatest Mario kart of all, Double Dash.

I want the NX to be a GameCube 2 with a controller that has two Z buttons, a bigger dpad and a proper analog stick instead of the c-stick.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If the HDMI mod really is just and plug with mods to the console, I'd definitely be interested. And hopefully they're relatively cheap if the whole raison detre is to be an affordable alternative to the component cables.

The internal mod is supposed to have more features I think? Don't remember the details.

I also wouldn't have expected the connector to be hard if the pinout is known, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

I always wondered... Since it is just YCbCr... Wouldn't it just be possible to hard wire a DVI connector now that people have figured out the pins?

It's not just pin for pin compatible. I looked into this a while ago, when I first got my GBPlayer and was pissed at how bad it looked on composite, and when GCVideo first emerged. I think the signaling is different on the data lines (DVI only does RGB) + the clock is different + the DVI spec has a whole bunch of other gremlins you might need to worry about.

BTW a plug and play would lack any OSD options menu since it wouldn't have access to controller input. It might also need a wall jack for power unless they wanted 1 cable to terminate in both the digital av and multi av out port since the multi-av has +5v.

If you're interested and know a bit about hardware + HDL there's some documentation on the gcvideo github:
https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/tree/master/HDL/gcvideo_dvi

Edit: this is the board they're using:

connections.png

It's just data on the digital av port + voltage/ground + controller + spdif. So plug and play would lack controller, voltage, and could maybe make that up with voltage from the multi-av out which has +5.

alf717

Finally got around to testing GBI out and was pretty impressed with the results. Tested the ULL version and the picture quality looked great. However after some time the screen would tear. It looked odd and got a bit annoying. It happened while playing GBC and GBA games. I didn't play a GB game long enough to see if the same happens with those titles as well. I noticed an audio glitch once nothing major though. I'll have to test out the UL and original version later to see if that happens with those version. I might save that for tomorrow though. I Wanted to try out Swiss but the file was too large to put on my memory card.

televator

It's not just pin for pin compatible. I looked into this a while ago, when I first got my GBPlayer and was pissed at how bad it looked on composite, and when GCVideo first emerged. I think the signaling is different on the data lines (DVI only does RGB) + the clock is different + the DVI spec has a whole bunch of other gremlins you might need to worry about.

BTW a plug and play would lack any OSD options menu since it wouldn't have access to controller input. It might also need a wall jack for power unless they wanted 1 cable to terminate in both the digital av and multi av out port since the multi-av has +5v.

If you're interested and know a bit about hardware + HDL there's some documentation on the gcvideo github:
https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/tree/master/HDL/gcvideo_dvi

Edit: this is the board they're using:

It's just data on the digital av port + voltage/ground + controller + spdif. So plug and play would lack controller, voltage, and could maybe make that up with voltage from the multi-av out which has +5.

I'm not all that concerned about having an OSD. Gamecube's raw output is great as is. Didn't realize that YCbCr wasn't part of the DVI spec. Bummer. The clock issue doesn't sound like too big a hurdle for anyone half way proficient with electronic maths and logical circuits (Which I'm not).

Display port is another carrier of digital signals and does support YCbCr, but IDK if it's easier or more difficult to do than HDMI.

It's a re-imaginig of classic Space Invaders. Was released in Japan and America only on GC. It also got a PS2 release in Europe, but under a different title: Space Invaders - Invasion Day.
I didn't know there was a GC version of that "amazing" title :eek:

But as I'm european, the PS2 version will have to do.

leroidys

Gotcha force is pretty much the only remaining game that I want to add to my collection that's not available elsewhere, but goddamn it's near $200 now. Ugh.

Are there any good tutorial pages, or youtube videos that I seem to be unable to find that can help me. I just got an SD Media Launcher from Datel and want to use Swiss and the GBi stuff with it. When I try to load the GBi stuff I just get a black screen with audio, though 1 will give me visuals.

IrishNinja

couldn't get the lighting right on this one, no idea how well it'll come out - same deal as PS2 ones, a batch are without manuals since Gamestop was liquidating them years ago...got Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for less than $10 though, can't complain!

-shadow-

got Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for less than $10 though, can't complain!
You son of a... I've been looking into buying that game. But man the value has reached ridiculous levels that I'm considering just downloading it. I don't have that kind of money for just a single game...

Been feeling a bit burnt out by gaming in general lately, with the slew of drama and tech comparisons and complaints; that I decided to head back to what's probably my favorite console and when games where more about having fun to me than anything else.

It's been so nice to take a jump back, and to try some new games, chiefly F-Zero GX. I thought I knew what speed was, and GX has proven me so wrong. It's been a while since I've had to work this hard to adapt to a play style.

swatahafa

Banned
I loved P.N.03. Repetetive as hell, yes, but it had a certain charm few other games can boast. Also, the controls were excellent, no matter what the haters say. Actually, the controls were extremely tight.

pn03c.jpg

alf717

I should give P.N.03 another go one of these day. Currently hooked on the gbi player. Glad I found out save game exploits was a thing. Didn't have to drop the 30+ for an SD media adapter. I'm going to be working on creating my own SD Gecko eventually.

swatahafa

Banned
I should give P.N.03 another go one of these day. Currently hooked on the gbi player. Glad I found out save game exploits was a thing. Didn't have to drop the 30+ for an SD media adapter. I'm going to be working on creating my own SD Gecko eventually.

h3AP9fA.jpg

Have you unlocked the best suit? Relatively few P.N.03 players actually did that.

Peltz

I really could not get into PN03. I sincerely gave it so many chances and decided that it's just not for me I guess. The movement and controls are just too terrible.

I was so excited when I finally found a copy of P.N.03. I had been interested since reading positive reviews of it in Hyper back in the day but never saw a copy locally. Decided to track it down years later and literally couldn't work out how to progress through the first level :\

Like, the controls I can get used to but for whatever reason I just remember a giant open (for GC anyway) relatively sparse area that I looked around and just couldn't work out what to do to trigger the next event and I gave up.

Maybe I'll give it another go sometime.

Also, I took a couple of pictures of my Resident Evil 4 GameCube Chainsaw controller tonight for something, figured I might as well share them with you all as well. Y'all might appreciate such a ridiculous device.

Peltz

I was so excited when I finally found a copy of P.N.03. I had been interested since reading positive reviews of it in Hyper back in the day but never saw a copy locally. Decided to track it down years later and literally couldn't work out how to progress through the first level :

Like, the controls I can get used to but for whatever reason I just remember a giant open (for GC anyway) relatively sparse area that I looked around and just couldn't work out what to do to trigger the next event and I gave up.

Also, I took a couple of pictures of my Resident Evil 4 GameCube Chainsaw controller tonight for something, figured I might as well share them with you all as well. Y'all might appreciate such a ridiculous device.

That's because the level design is fuggin terrible. You had to open a door to get into one of the buildings.

Mega

Banned
I played my copy a couple of times long ago and didn't think it was good either. The game probably gets more attention than it deserves for being a Capcom exclusive on a Nintendo console. Oh and the girl... the most often cited praise over the years has been gifs of the protag gyrating and nothing else (in stark contrast to Bayonetta clips). It would otherwise be forgotten among the piles of mediocre third party games if not for these two things that do nothing to improve the boring gameplay. I still have it but I'm not expecting it to somehow be better by revisiting it soon.

swatahafa

Banned
OK, since I see myself as the P.N.03 expert around here, please let me put up some arguments.

I really could not get into PN03. I sincerely gave it so many chances and decided that it's just not for me I guess. The movement and controls are just too terrible.

I buy the first part of what you say. But I do not buy that the controls are terrible. They're great. Fine of they don't suit your taste, but the controls are not poorly executed. Please explain why you think the controls are terrible.

I agree that P.N.03 starts off pretty bad. Instead of giving you a small room to help you familiarize yourself with the controls, they put you in this huge area which can be quite challenging unless you know what to do. So fair point.

That's because the level design is fuggin terrible. You had to open a door to get into one of the buildings.

Come on, is the level design terrible because you have to open doors? :p

I played my copy a couple of times long ago and didn't think it was good either. The game probably gets more attention than it deserves for being a Capcom exclusive on a Nintendo console. Oh and the girl... the most often cited praise over the years has been gifs of the protag gyrating and nothing else (in stark contrast to Bayonetta clips). It would otherwise be forgotten among the piles of mediocre third party games if not for these two things that do nothing to improve the boring gameplay. I still have it but I'm not expecting it to somehow be better by revisiting it soon.

Why didn't you like it? And yes, Vanessa's ass is a big reason (literally) the game got some buzz. But it's a good game, too.

The environments are boring bland and lifeless. If the protagonist was a dude, this game would never be mentioned.

I agree about the environments. Not that I care that much, since it's a shooter and you don't look at the environments that much anyway (as in contrast to an adventure game, for example).

57ostaL.jpg

How do you post huge images without making them appear huge in the post? Help greatly appreciated, I couldn't find anything in the FAQ.

She was of course made to look sexy, even though quite a few people don't agree with that. For GameCube, her butt was like the pinnacle of butts.

Thing with P.N.03 though is that it's an old school corridor shooter. Almost everyone who think it's a bad game misinterpret it from the get-go.

Glowsquid

I think PN03 is fun enough as an experimental TPS. Game journos at release may have missed the point of the game (which is learning the enemy patterns and getting in the rhythm), but the game does have a lot of big problems:

-Vertical targetting is wonky. You may have an enemy standing on a platform above you in plain sight with no obstructions but it's almost a coin flip if you'll be able to target him or not.
-Not only do the environements look repetitive, the game, despite being very short as is, recycle two levels, asking you to do redo large chunk of 'em with stronger pallete swaps of the enemies and going through this door instead of that one.
-New suits in the shop are extremely expensive, requiring you to grind insanely repetitive "trials" to get new suits, even if you ace all of the primary levels. And even there, the new suits aren't better than the starting one until you upgrade them, which also cost a lot of money.
-The trials themselves are stupid. They'll always have unnecessary forked paths that don't make it clear which room is a dead-end and which is the main road, requiring you to backtrack to clear all the rooms and get a worthy grade.
-The score system has a stupid oversight: When you have a chain going and there's no enemy left in the room, you won't get the point bonus if you leave it. You have to wait until the chain expire to get the point bonus and then leave the room, Fucking stupid.

Celine

I think PN03 is fun enough as an experimental TPS. Game journos at release may have missed the point of the game (which is learning the enemy patterns and getting in the rhythm), but the game does have a lot of big problems:

-Vertical targetting is wonky. You may have an enemy standing on a platform above you in plain sight with no obstructions but it's almost a coin flip if you'll be able to target him or not.
-Not only do the environements look repetitive, the game, despite being very short as is, recycle two levels, asking you to do redo large chunk of 'em with stronger pallete swaps of the enemies and going through this door instead of that one.
-New suits in the shop are extremely expensive, requiring you to grind insanely repetitive "trials" to get new suits, even if you ace all of the primary levels. And even there, the new suits aren't better than the starting one until you upgrade them, which also cost a lot of money.
-The trials themselves are stupid. They'll always have unnecessary forked paths that don't make it clear which room is a dead-end and which is the main road, requiring you to backtrack to clear all the rooms and get a worthy grade.
-The score system has a stupid oversight: When you have a chain going and there's no enemy left in the room, you won't get the point bonus if you leave it. You have to wait until the chain expire to get the point bonus and then leave the room, Fucking stupid.
Good post.
100% agree.

swatahafa

Banned

-Vertical targetting is wonky. You may have an enemy above you in plain sight with no obstructions but it's almost a coin flip if you'll be able to target him or not.
-New suits in the shop are extremely expensive, requiring you to grind insanely repetitive "trials" to get new suits. And even there, the new suits aren't better than the starting one until you upgrade them, which also cost a lot of money.
-The score system. When you have a chain going and there's no enemy left in the room, you won't get the point bonus if you leave it. You have to wait until the chain expire to get the point bonus and then leave the room, Fucking stupid.

- If you mean the randomness of the X button, I agree. It's annoying but most games have it.
- Yes, it's repetetive. Agreed.
- This is actually a change they made from the Japanese version to the western version. In the JP version, everything is a lot cheaper and there's only one trial mission per main mission.
- Sure, there's some empty backtracking during trials, but you can always use that time to watch Vanessa's ass as it bounce and wobble as she runs. :)
- No, that's false. You get the chain and you get the points if you leave before the timer has reached zero.

Glowsquid

- This is actually a change they made from the Japanese version to the western version. In the JP version, everything is a lot cheaper and there's only one trial mission per main mission.

Wow, that sucks.

- No, that's false. You get the chain and you get the points if you leave before the timer has reached zero.

derp. I even remember reading people complaining about that too. I'll have to verify next time I play the game.

swatahafa

Banned
Wow, that sucks.

derp. I even remember reading people complaining about that too. I'll have to verify next time I play the game.

They made that change in order to artificially lengthen the game because it's very short. Same reason it's a lot more difficult to get the thong suit in the western version.

In the JP version, you just have to finish the game twice.

In western version, you have to:
- finish the game with all nine regular suits to unlock the Blackbird
- then you have to finish again while obtaining a professional ranking on every single trial mission

They sure knew what kind of attraction her ass is. If you're into the kind of ass Vanessa has, that is...

Mega

Banned
Hey buddy. Are... you gonna keep talking about the fictional character's polygonal ass and posting pics of it? You were fine with the first post but then you kept going, and going on about it. It's gotten pretty weird.

I just got my hands on copies of Skies of Arcadia and the Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire Pokemon Bank for Gamecube. I lost my mind, but kept my cool buying em. I never thought I would get these for my collection but it totally happened! And for a super great price. Gamecube is cool.

swatahafa

Banned
Hey buddy. Are... you gonna keep talking about the fictional character's polygonal ass and posting pics of it? You were fine with the first post but then you kept going, and going on about it. It's gotten pretty weird.

I don't see what's weird about talking about her ass, It's one of the key focal points in the game. I'm not one of those guys who gets embarrassed beause people say I it's weird to talk about an ass.

Anyway, feel free to discuss any part of the game and I'll happily join that discussion!

Top Bottom