• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA: Virtual On 1, 2, and 3 are headed to PS4

news181019_01.jpg

No date, price, or specifics announced yet, but I'm glad they're being ported, especially the Japan-only games. Wonder if SEGA is touching up the ports and adding features...

tumblr_o96d3ff5la1t63sglo1_500.gif

Sega announced in a Tanita official broadcast that the first three Virtual-On games in Virtual On: Cyber Troopers, Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram, and Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force are headed to PS4.

The titles that will get ports are Virtual On: Cyber Troopers, which released for arcades and Sega Saturn in 1996, Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram (ver. 5.66) which released for arcades and Dreamcast in Japan in 1998-98 along with an Xbox Live Arcade release in 2009 for Xbox 360. Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Force released only in Japan for arcades in October 2001 and Xbox 360 in December 2010.

Virtual%20On%20-%20Cyber%20Troopers1.jpg

The article also confirms that the Tanita Twin Stick project will be compatible with the trilogy.

Online multiplayer has been confirmed.

Source at Siliconera

Last edited:
Whoa. I'll gladly take an arcade perfect(or better) port of Virtual On and I never got to play Force(Despite that import 360 release), so all the better.

With the popularity of Gundam Vs, I'm curious if SEGA is testing the waters for a Virtual-On revival. They already have 'Border Break' and that was successful enough to get an (upcoming) console port.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
Wow, awesome! When I first saw the subject I thought this had to be a joke, but very excited that it's not.

Absolute Day 1 for me.

I remember playing the shit out of this in the arcades but I don´t know if it will be as rad without dual joystick cabinets. Will probably pick it up for a trip down memory lane if the price is right.

A.Romero

I used to play it a lot on Dreamcast back in the day. Really enjoyed it.

Recently I played it on Yakuza Kiwami 2's arcade and couldn't have fun because of how clunky and slow it felt.

Never played the third one, any opinions?

Stuart360

I dont know why Sega doesn't release arcade perfect ports of all their arcade games, for like $10 each. I'd buy a shit ton of them.

Orta

Banned
Loved the original on the Saturn. Mindless carnage, might plump for it if it doesn't get a Steam or, *drool*, Switch release.

raptorak

Neo Member
I really, really hope they don't forget local multiplayer. I bought Virtual On on the Xbox One and it doesn't have it, just a dead online multiplayer. Complete waste of money really.

I really, really hope they don't forget local multiplayer. I bought Virtual On on the Xbox One and it doesn't have it, just a dead online multiplayer. Complete waste of money really.
Good point. I didn't think of that. I'd imagine -- if they are ports of the original games -- that local multiplayer would be included as a default and then we'd be lucky to have online (though I'll bet they plan to include that, too)

Hudo

Switch when? With ARMS' Thumbs up control scheme, you'd think this would be a no brainier.
That could actually work very well.

Yeah, I don't undertstand why Sega would limit the possible audience by restricting this to one platform. Sega aren't a first-party developer.

Jae Mara

I remember having a demo of Virtua On on the Saturn. Played the hell out of it but never had the monies back then to pick it up. I think I owe this to my younger self.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wish they had a release date. I wonder if it'll be like the HOTD3 & 4 ports on PS3, each sold separately. I'd definitely purchase this as I have played it in the arcades over a decade ago.

BANGS

Banned
I literally just ordered a pair of twin sticks for my Saturn and Dreamcast last week lol. But the PS4 twin sticks I'm not sure I'll ever get my hands on so I'm okay with that for now...

Top Bottom