• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

IrishNinja

Yeah, that impressive Genesis collection had probably clouded my expectations too.

Think I had expected less Turbo games and more PCE ones for starters. Perhaps a few more shoot 'em ups (no Gradius/Salamander or Star Soldier games?), since they're so omnipresent on the system. I mean, you have Air Zonk/PC Denjin (which I'm missing still), but then you don't have some of the more obvious ones.

Not that all of that is a bad thing. It's not like you don't have any real quality in there, because you obviously truly have. But there's just so much more out there waiting to be added to that collection.

yeah, i went after Zonk cause that was one of the few ones my neighbor had growing up - R-type was a gift from Mzo, and a lotta turbo stuff was actually donated by a kind gaffer many years ago! i have salamander on several other systems so i made less of a priority of it, Star Soldier would be great though.

honestly though, while i love the system, there's only a few more i'd add: Legendary Axe 1/2, Neutopia 1/2 (these got well outside my range years back, haha), bomberman '93, Strider, Ys 1 & 2, Spriggan (...), some lesser stuff like PCE Batman, Fighting Street, etc...but that's about it for me. which obvious holes/absolute classics would you say i'm missing out on?
the genny display dwarfs all others, cause it's my favorite system! but if you look at my N64 or several other libraries, they're about the same size: 20-25 of the absolute favorites & cheap deals i got, haha. i really am gonna put up bishopcruz's collection soon for comparison, might make some of ya'll happier, heh

I tell you in my area its so hard to even find TG16 games for sale. I'm basically regulated to ebay, and ebay prices are just too damn high right now. I feel your pain on the small tg16/PCE collection.

i legit haven't seen a US TG16 game out here in many years, garage sales or otherwise. our good retro shop (which sadly isn't nearby) has posted a pic of a few they've gotten in stock & had sold immediately afterwards.
ive also grown to love the cheezy/terrible US box art covers!

IrishNinja

Soldier Blade, Gate and Winds of Thunder perhaps, there are a couple more fine shooters. To me all the Konami ones are worth it.

Dungeon Explorer I and II.

ah, think i have the 3 or 4 in one, but that's Lords of Thunder, yeah? and ill have to look into Dungeon Exploere!

Incase you haven't seen it yet.

Sunteam has made a new vid of 50 pc engine games you should try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH_Nv8aqKxg#t=75

they're good people, will check out!

ah, think i have the 3 or 4 in one, but that's Lords of Thunder, yeah?

The 4 in 1 was definitely Gates Of Thunder!

4-in-1-super-cd-usa.png

As was the 3 in 1
4-in-1-super-cd-usa.png

Both are brilliant games.
I wish the sound effects didn't drown out the music in Lords of Thunder though :(

Always fancied picking up one of those 3 in 1's just to get cd audio from the Bonk games.

I just recently got my Duo RX back from having been RGB modded. It looks lovely!

piggychan

You should get a cover for it, static shock is a real issue with the turbo everdrives. Not that it'll hurt you but I've seen a few people destroy their everdrives from it.

got one. although if you want to cheap out you could also perhaps use anti static gloves or a bit of tissue while grasping the end of the everdrive, hey it worked for me before I got the cover.

F1B29670-39B7-4DDB-8489-2386D114508D.jpg

Also just got this Urusei Yatsura - stay with you but this one comes with a CD with Hudson Soft music tracks.

D00EBF42-4DB0-4373-88F2-592BB60634CB.jpg

got one. although if you want to cheap out you could also perhaps use anti static gloves or a bit of tissue while grasping the end of the everdrive, hey it worked for me before I got the cover.

F1B29670-39B7-4DDB-8489-2386D114508D.jpg

You're missing the button for the reset, it should be in your bag the cover came in.

Whered you get that cover?

Jelloslug on the PCEngineFX forums was selling them. I've seen him post on some of the facebook Turbografx and PC Engine groups.

I finally decided to replay Dracula X and go through all the hidden stages. Man, that game is good. It's like there's a whole other game in there that's just as good if not better than the standard levels.

piggychan

You're missing the button for the reset, it should be in your bag the cover came in.

Jelloslug on the PCEngineFX forums was selling them. I've seen him post on some of the facebook Turbografx and PC Engine groups.

ah it's too late I am sure its all been recycled now and I've superglued the case on. I don't think I even noticed it when it arrived. I've been using a bobby pin all this time. Sure enough I got it from Jelloslug.

Drac is really good too although some of those levels are sooo hard with Richter.

Rydeen

Also just got this Urusei Yatsura - stay with you but this one comes with a CD with Hudson Soft music tracks.
Anywhere online to sample that bonus CD? I'd be interested in picking this up if the music selection is good, I passed on the game complete at a few places in Tokyo because I assumed it was a text adventure, but the bonus CD would probably make this worth picking up if the price is right.

Drac is really good too although some of those levels are sooo hard with Richter.
I've beaten Rondo of Blood and OG Castlevania, but not Castlevania III and Super Castlevania IV, what does that say about me?

Anywhere online to sample that bonus CD? I'd be interested in picking this up if the music selection is good, I passed on the game complete at a few places in Tokyo because I assumed it was a text adventure, but the bonus CD would probably make this worth picking up if the price is right.

Mind you that not all copies of Urusei Yatsura come with the audio CD. It was likely a first print bonus or something.

piggychan

it is a text adventure game.

Is there a place where I can upload music files where anyone can access without the need to register an account and be added as friend etc ??

I've been tempted to get an Avenue Pad 6 recently - given that there were a bunch of NOS boxed ones fund recently.

I currently use a Namco PS1 stick with an adapter, but unfortunately the adapter does not let you use all 6 buttons.

Of course it is only for SF II - but the port is really great.

In other news my I received a console to Jamma adapter board, and it's great playing the PCE on a cab!

AmyS

From the pcenginefx forums, this is amazing.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=20883.0

NEC interview on SuperGrafx & Power Console

Otaking said:
Years back I started a thread(link) which had scans from a Japaneses NEC booklet I had. Whilst I was scanning the images from the booklet for that thread I also scanned an NEC interview about the SuperGrafx. I recently stumbled upon these old scans and sent them to esteban for his site. Coincidentally recently there was a thread on the TurboGrafx section of this forum discussing the SuperGrafx history (link)and I asked SamIAm if he would be up for translating the old scanned artilcle, I have PM'd him the scans. Thanks SamIAm if you are ok to do the translation

shubibiman said:
Pretty interesting read. I'll make a quick translation first. The interviewer asks why NEC didn't choose to use a 16 bit chip.

SamIAm said:
First Page

[red text]
A Giant Controller With Tons of Functionality
[text on white background]
The Power Console is a new input device for the SuperGrafx. In addition to a steering-wheel, it has a joystick, a jog dial, a throttle lever, and more. It also has a "macro-function" that allows it to save your input, and it works as a multi-tap. It even has a timer, an alarm, and four buttons with auto-fire. It really is a machine that was made to work with games in various genres that will be appearing in the future.

[text on red background]
On sale next spring - MSRP 59800 yen.

[text on grey background]
Jog dial - No games support this at the moment. It's an input device that you use by turning it.

Throttle lever - Surely to be used by racing games?

Joystick - Ordinary games will be conrolled via this joystick.

Power/Reset Switches - In addition to a power switch, it comes with a reset switch.
Run and Select buttons

Handle With Trigger Buttons - Allows eight degrees of "turn" in each direction. Trigger-buttons are placed where you put your thumbs.

LED Indicator - Displays your movement/input
LCD Panel - Displays numbers for timer, clock, calculator, "macro-functions" etc.

Card Case - By lifting this lid, you can store your (Hu?)cards.

Multi-tap - Allows you to connect up to four controllers

10-key pad - Allows you to set the timer and other functions, and works as a calculator

Auto-fire buttons - Four buttons are all equipped with auto-fire

[left yellow box]
It's got Macro-Functions!
This device has a macro-function that allows you to record your input. By using this, you can tackle difficult games, or make RPGs that have you performing the same task repeatedly easier.
In terms of storage capacity, it's possible to store input for the first three stages of R-Type I.

[right yellow box]
Store the SuperGrafx Inside!
The unit is rather large in size...so much that you actually put the SuperGrafx inside it. It connects via the 18-pin input connector.

NEC Interview
We ask NEC-HE about a few things that concern us regarding their new machine.

-To begin with, please tell us about what lead to the launch of this new machine.
NEC: The topic of a high-end PC Engine first came up in autumn of last year. The PC Engine as everyone knows it is capable of many things, but we began considering whether we could produce a system that would allow people to enjoy even higher quality arcade conversions at home.

-That means it took a year before the system was announced, right? By the way, what are the differences between the current PC Engine and the SuperGrafx?
NEC: Talking about the internals first, we strengthened the graphic capabilities and increased the RAM. For the graphics, we added a second "background screen" so that it's easy to have two scrolling layers. You can enjoy games while feeling a greater sense of depth.

-That's probably going to make designing maps harder. (laughs)
NEC: Also, we've increased the number of sprites possible to display on-screen, so scenes that would normally flicker will look much better. We've increased the RAM from 8kB to 32kB, making it easier for developers to put together high level programs.

-By the way, in terms of the system's size and case design, it does seem like you'll be surprising some people.
NEC: If you think of the PC Engine as being made for the general public, the SuperGrafx is targeted at the hardcore maniac gamers. It appears that these kinds of gamers care a lot about mecha-things and special effects, so in designing the system, we targeted them by using a mecha-like appearance of what comes into your head when you imagine the word "engine". Since it's something that people are going to leave set down, we also wanted it to have a certain high-class feel to it, which is why we decided on this particular size. TVs are getting bigger and bigger these days, too, so I don't think the size goes too far.

-How will you use the new I/O port, especially in terms of the "O" (output)?
NEC: For that port, we have a special controller for the SuperGrafx called the Power Console. It has a steering wheel and a joystick; the steering wheel has seven degrees [sic] of turn, while the joystick has four degrees in each direction, so it's quasi-analog. As a macro-function, it can reproduce player input so that you can repeat the same actions. In terms of output, the Power Console has an LED that the game software itself can control. For example, in a 3D game, it can light up to tell you when an enemy is coming from behind.

-Are there any games that support these things?
NEC: Not yet, but we are insisting that developers who make Supergrafx software make use of them.

-Do you have any other plans? For example, there is a British company called KONIX that is developing a mobile chassis called a Power Chair.
NEC: We don't have any concrete products to show at the moment. However, we plan on developing a series of such products for everyone to enjoy.

-We're looking forward to it. Oh, we noticed that the RF output is replaced with an AV output?
NEC: Presently, TVs with AV inputs as well as adjoining stereo systems are becoming more and more common. We decided to make as our standard something which has better quality than an RF signal. It is still also possible to connect it to a TV without an AV input with an optional RF unit.

-When people talk about good video quality, they often talk about S-video and RGB. Why didn't you make either of those the standard?
NEC: Well, as for RGB, there are very few consumer televisions that have RGB inputs anymore. On the other hand, as for S-video, there really aren't many televisions out there that support it. Even if we did make the Supergrafx output S-video, it really wouldn't be that much prettier than ordinary composite. Furthermore, by including either of these things, we would raise the cost of the system, and we wanted to prevent that. I think one of the reasons why the Famicom and the PC Engine have spread like they have is because of how easily they connect to a regular television. That's why we chose the most standard of video output types.

- I see. So, how is the all-important sofware coming?
NEC: At the same time that the hardware comes out, Hudson will release Battle Heat and Granzort, while NEC Avenue will release Daimakaimura and Strider. We have also asked other developers to make games for the system. If it's someone who has made a PC Engine game before, then we don't need to draw up any particularly special new contracts. If they want to make games for it, we'd like for them to be able to make them quickly, one after another. For development, all they have to do is add something to their current development kits, and they'll be able to put all the know-how that they've gathered to use.

- I would like to delve into a deeper topic right now. Looking at the specs of your new machine, it appears that it is a tad weaker than the Mega Drive and the Super Famicom. I'd like to ask on behalf of gamers first of all about using the same CPU as the PC Engine. Why didn't you choose a 16-bit CPU? Or, even if you wanted to use the same CPU, didn't you feel that there was a need to increase the clockspeed?
NEC: In the beginning, there were voices calling for a 16-bit CPU, but with balance as a whole in mind, we wanted to ensure 100% compatibility with the existing PC Engine library. Speaking of which, PC Engine software has finally matured as developers have acquired know-how for the system. We wanted them to be able to put that to use, and we also wanted the software they've made up until now to be playable, so we decided on using the same CPU. As for clockspeed, we decided not to change it because we felt it was enough for all the game designs we can imagine at present.

- Was there ever a time when you considered setting aside compatibility and developing a totally new machine?
NEC: The idea was considered, yes. In the world of PCs, for example, it's sometimes necessary to ignore what currently exists and leap ahead. However, it's only been two years since the PC Engine came out. It's just not that time yet. That's why we decided on simply adding functionality. Furthermore, by going with something completely new, we would be forcing developers to start from square one. We wanted to preserve the PC Engine "world" that we've created thus far.

- We see you strengthened the graphical capabilites of the PC Engine in your new machine, but why didn't you add rotation and scaling capabilities?
NEC: This is the thing we spent the most time going back and forth on. Programmers asked us for two things: scaling/rotation capabilities, and more RAM. We considered a lot of options. We would have loved to have included both, but that would raise the cost. Also, we were afraid that by adding scaling and rotation, those features would wind up being used in the same way every time, and the games would all wind up looking like each other. Thus, we decided that by increasing RAM, which is more general-purpose, we could get developers to compete with each other in a freer kind of way. That's why we left out scaling and rotation.

SamIAm said:
-The sound hardware wasn't changed, either, was it?
NEC: The PC Engine has a unique way of generating sound called Waveform-Memory. This type of sound is extremely easy to use for games. People often compare it to FM synthesis, but going with FM synthesis puts a heavier load on the CPU. There is the option of adding in another CPU that specializes in sound, but we felt that that would be a waste. Waveform-Memory stands up to FM synthesis in comparison, so we left it as-is. We also opted against ADPCM because it requires such large amounts of data. I think that's best left to a CD-ROM system, which is why we put ADPCM capabilities in our Interface Unit for the current PC Engine.

- Speaking of the Interface Unit, this new system won't fit in it...that is to say, you can't connect it to the CD-ROM2 system. Why is that?
NEC: We're developing a custom interface unit for the SuperGrafx to be released this spring. It will allow you to connect it to a current CD-ROM2 system.

-In other words, when people who already own a CD-ROM2 system want to play CD games on the SuperGrafx, they'll only need to use a new interface unit.
NEC: That's what we're moving toward. We also plan on adding improved ADPCM capabilities in this new interface unit.

- By the way, when you connect this interface unit and the Power Console at the same time, won't the vibrations from the Power Console affect the CD drive? Are you thinking of having it be separated somehow?
NEC: That is indeed a problem, and we are considering many ways of dealing with it. As for what form the solution will take, I simply can't say at the moment.

- The Interface Unit contains Backup RAM - wouldn't it have made things convenient if you had put Backup RAM into this new system?
NEC: Again, this is a matter of cost. Putting in Backup RAM will cause it to go up. Either that, or we have to remove other things to make room for it.

- I think gamers are rather shocked by your new system. What is going to happen to the current PC Engine?
NEC: The current system is our core product. We're going to keep the PC Engine world as our main focus in sales. The people in that world who are more hardcore are the ones we're targeting with the SuperGrafx. If the PC Engine world were a mountain, the SuperGrafx would be the top, while the middle to the base would be the PC Engine. The software, too, will have the more hardcore stuff going to the SuperGrafx. It's also possible to make the software detect which system it's running on.

- Will you be creating an adapter to allow owners of the current PC Engine to upgrade to this new system?
NEC: Unfortunately, that's not possible. If it were a sound upgrade only, it would be possible, but for display upgrades, it's simply not.

- My questions about the system specs have all been answered. On another note, the Turbo Grafx went on sale in America in September. Are there any plans to sell the Super Grafx there?
NEC: We have no plans currently to sell it overseas, no.

- I see. To close with, please tell us what your next plans are for the core system.
NEC: We'll be making a broad public announcement from our whole telecommunications division soon. You'll find that games take center-stage, so please look forward to it.

- This fascinating world of games is getting bigger and bigger. Thank you for your time.

AmyS

Found these in Edge

A0ypAwE.jpg
_
uUWptfN.jpg

9h16e2V.jpg

Those rendered ships in the Edge article, they could've easily have been done on 1996 PC 3D hardware, like PowerVR. I mean, look at this PowerVR demo:

kOm7xh0.jpg

other pictures:

GnWXBf4.jpg

3VriJql.jpg
GUnIY0d.jpg

vje5B5V.jpg

xVCwLY8.jpg

xrGnPVy.jpg

mjtk8Go.jpg

c7da7b8aae.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132195/the_game_master_speaks_hudsons_.php?page=3

The PC-FX being a tower case with expansion ports and slots and all...

Fwo0oPZ.jpg

m9aYjto.jpg

P8JOBFH.jpg

Super Star Soldier 3D real-time demo:

tXim7zK.jpg
DjHdzsc.jpg

https://www.unseen64.net/2010/11/01/super-star-soldier-3d-pc-fx-cancelled/

Edit:

xG8Ic1M.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri23yw2hrSg

LET’S TALK ABOUT KUMA SOLDIER..
SEPTEMBER 14, 2015

Hey Folks,

Let’s talk about another cancelled PC-FX game today, Kuma Soldier.

The more I dig into the PC-FX history, the more idiotic the decisions NEC made about the system in terms of content seem to be. It’s one thing not to update your console architecture to compete with the likes of the PSX and Saturn. But at least give the system a chance to compete with a good set of AAA games, however 2D they are.

Every platform has its own set of franchises Sega has Sonic, Nintendo Mario and the list go on. The PC Engine was home to some great series as well, PC Denjin, Bomberman (although multi-platform), the Soldier series, the Thunder series, Tengai Makyo… Not a lot of these made it to Nec’s 32-bit offspring.

In a previous post we looked at Lords of Thunder FX and while there is little evidence to support its existence. Kuma Soldier on the other hand has been documented several times in the press from the announcement of the Tetsujin board and into the early life of the PC-FX. Even a video popped up on YouTube a few years ago showing it in action along with many other unreleased titles…

Legend has it (see article from Nekofan) that NEC rejected the Kuma Soldier project for the PC-FX, preferring to focus FX content on other things… Not letting go, Hudson Soft instead decided to give the beloved PC Engine a final send off and morphed Kuma Soldier into what we know as GINGA FUKEI DENSETSU SAPPHIRE on the PC Engine. Crazy right? Well if you know Sapphire you will see some similarities when you compare screenshots.

While the legend of Kuma Soldier lives on in the above video. I’d like to think that it inspired another game that was released back in May 2008 on the Wii, Star Soldier R. I actually played SSR to death for a long time, the online scoreboard made it quite addictive…

The similarities between both games, on the face of it are probably far fetched but Kuma Soldier is the first thing that came to my mind when I first played SSR, shiny cutscenes,
fast paced… It also felt like this game should have come out in the 90s, instead of 2008. The PC-FX would have easily handled a 2D rendition of SSR.

https://cdromrom.wordpress.com/2015/09/14/lets-talk-about-kuma-soldier/

Nintendolife Feature:
What NEC And Hudson Did Next: The Disasterous Story Of The PC-FX
The history of one of the 32-bit era's biggest flops

But let's not get ahead of ourselves here; there's a history lesson to brush up on first. As previously mentioned, NEC and Hudson's partnership had proven to be a particularly profitable one and it was almost a given that the dynamic duo would collaborate on new projects together. Work on what would become known as "Tetsujin" (Iron Man in Japanese) commenced almost as soon as the '90s had begun, with an official announcement coming as early as 1992. As had been the case with the PC Engine, Hudson provided the custom chipset (which included five separate co-processors) while NEC would bring its considerable electronics production experience to the table.
Tetsujin boasted fearsome specifications for the time. Not only was it to be CD-ROM based, it also contained a RISC processor clocked at 25MHz and was supported by 2 megabytes of RAM to facilitate speedy CD access. The system also featured highly advanced 2D capabilities as well as support for full-screen 24bit video playback. A prototype was demonstrated to selected parties in the same year, with three games being displayed. Two of these were merely tech demos but the third got delegates really hot under the collar; it was an updated version of Hudson's classic Star Soldier, which ran in what appeared to be full 3D. In reality it was actually displaying 3D objects over a pre-rendered background (the same technique employed by GameArts' Silpheed on the Mega CD and Namco's Starblade in the arcades), but it was more than enough to impress the assembled throng and with a successful demonstration of their new hardware out of the way NEC and Hudson feverishly worked on getting the new machine ready for release.

Initially the two companies were confident of launching Tetsujin in 1992, but lack of finished software forced a rethink and Spring 1993 became the target date. When this was also missed rumours began to circulate that NEC and Hudson were reluctant to usurp the PC Engine while it was still pulling in good business (in Japan, at least). As the months passed Tetsujin became less and less cutting-edge and it seems that during this time little development was undertaken to ensure the new hardware retained parity with newer machines like the 3DO and Atari Jaguar; NEC and Hudson seemed content to rest on their collective laurels, at least while their current hardware was still commercially viable.

Then in early 1994 it was confirmed that the Tetsujin project had been formally cancelled. Sources at the time insisted that development had been abandoned due to NEC and Hudson seeing the proposed specs for Sega and Sony's 32-bit challengers, both of which comfortably out-shined Tetsujin and also promised considerable 3D capability. In the light of such incredible competition the partners were forced to scurry back to the drawing board. Unfortunately it was far too late to come up with an entirely new design and therefore much of the architecture that was present in the (by now) hopelessly underpowered Tetsujin was utilized in the new machine. Although Hudson's 5-piece custom graphics chipset was streamlined to just a single co-processor, Tetsujin's reliance on streamed footage rather than real-time rendering was retained. The working title for this new platform was 'FX', which soon became PC-FX – the 'PC' presumably being added to capitalize on the prominence the PC-Engine brand was enjoying in Japan at the time. Despite this name-checking, it was confirmed early on that this new device would not be backwards compatible with existing PC Engine CD-ROM software.

However, when the PC-FX eventually hit Japanese store shelves in December of '94 the mystique surrounding its 3D muscle swiftly evaporated. FX Fighter was nowhere to be seen, although leading launch title Battle Heat proved to be a very similar proposition. It was essentially a Dragon's Lair-style anime fighting game where animated sequences were spooled off the disc in time with the player's button commands. To be fair, it was (and still is) an awesomely impressive trick; there is practically no delay between the player's input and on-screen action and the quality of the FMV is tremendous. This is thanks to the fact that NEC and Hudson had decided to shun traditional MPEG video playback - which resulted in low quality compressed footage with lots of pixilation and a generally low frame rate - in favour of the much more memory-intensive JPEG system, which essentially displayed a different high-quality still image for each frame of animation, and all at a silky-smooth rate of 30 frames a second. Because it was built on the foundations of Project Tetsujin, the console was therefore constructed from the outset to make use of this unique method. Tetsuya Iguchi, a member of NEC's Electronic Products planning department, proudly told EDGE magazine at the time that the PC-FX was a "Direct Memory Access" machine; instead of pushing data from the CD through the CPU bus, the PC-FX channelled the information directly to the video-out port via a sequencer, rendering chip and video encoding processor. This process allowed the machine to produce blisteringly fast video footage, and it should come as no surprise to learn that the console eventually became a hotbed of anime-style games.

the machine featured ports for future expandability and although the only peripheral to make use of this was the FX-BMP game save memory module,there were rumours that a fully-fledged 3D graphics card was in the works that would have allowed the PC-FX to compete toe-to-toe with Sony and Sega's machines.

Was the PCFX-GA card the offspring of the Tetsujin - Iron Man project?

Z4JFtJl.jpg

really neat demo clip!

Some people have these PCFX-GA cards along with various demos. Clearly not as powerful as 2nd gen 3D accelerators like 3DFX Voodoo Graphics or NEC / VideoLogic PowerVR PCX1. The PCX1 would've made a fantastic upgrade to the PC-FX, if it included a geometry processor.

Edit:

SOnBKzj.jpg

hYOnsf9.jpg

piggychan

great stuff there. Sadly I lost interest in the pc-FX when the saturn appeared and none of the pc-fx games reached positively to me like the pc engine's library Plus at that time I think I was just won over by Virtua Fighter and all the Capcom 2D arcade stuff especially Darkstalkers.

AmyS

Once the PC-FX came out and was clearly not not going to be the kind of successor to the PCE line that it was going to be, based on its early development during 1990-1992, I quickly lost interest.

The Tetsujin / Iron Man board looked like a monster. So, what would have been its direct rival from Sega in terms of development time frame?
Giga Drive, derived from the System 32 arcade board, and prior to Saturn's development start date (1992).

NEC / Hudson Iron Man | SEGA System 32

GnWXBf4.jpg
3Gopi7m.jpg

EGM's questionable B&W picture of System 32 is a match for what is 100% a System 32 board.

tCu1214.jpg
WQwdUuT.jpg

piggychan

latest

If only FX fighters and Kuma Soldier became fully released titles I might have considered that console. Looking at that six button controller it would have been perfect for 2D fighters like Capcom's Super Street Fighter II X. Why didn't NEC jump on that?

I really do like the design of that console. It harks of early apple mac designs.

If the pad with the FX is the same one that comes with the Duo Rx then (and this might be just my one) the D-Pad isn't up to much cop.

Seeing as how awesome the Px Engine console and the CD addons/ Duo was, the FX is such a crushing disapointment.

To have such a versatile console in '87, which was an arcade port king, to the turd that was the FX is such a let down.

piggychan

That Bazar de Gozarre game is a really fun and simple game. I really like the character so much I had to hunt down some merchandise related to it.

Also that Lords of Thunder there is an amazing showcase too and a lesser known strategy game with great sound samples Sekigahara.

13c687dc-65f9-4aca-8e26-60546d483373.jpg

piggychan

Nice merch but that game is *very* faded.

yup yup which is why I paid just a little over a 100 bucks for it. Everything else is great condition. I am contemplating on whether to reprint just the front cover and replace it.

edit:

just received:

IMG_1109.jpg

AmyS

latest

If only FX fighters and Kuma Soldier became fully released titles I might have considered that console. Looking at that six button controller it would have been perfect for 2D fighters like Capcom's Super Street Fighter II X. Why didn't NEC jump on that?

I really do like the design of that console. It harks of early apple mac designs.

Yes indeed, I also like that console's design.

After the 8-bit PC-Engine, I'd have been all over a 16-bit PC-Engine II and (with Tetsujin's guts) a 32-bit PC-Engine III .

AmyS

Video Games & Computer Entertainment - July 1990 on the yet-to-be-named Turbo Express / PC Engine GT

vBeA9OL.jpg

5qlACDc.jpg

gR8F9yX.jpg

I love how they refer to it as TGP -- reminds me of when PS Vita was called NGP.

...NGP / Vita :(

Ok, so later this month I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a modded Duo-R. My U.S. Turbo Duo which I bought back in '94 died on me 11 years ago, I have a large collection of TG-16/PCE games I haven't been able to play for years I'm dying to get back into. Are there any good sources besides Doujin Dance? (don't feel like shipping my Duo to be recapped, it's been dead since 2005 and I'm wondering if the capacitors have leaked onto the circuit board at this point anyways). It seems like he tailors video output to PAL TVs and monitors. I'd prefer something with both s-video and RGB (but will a Doujin Dance system work on my JAMMA rig's Commodore 64 monitor?) but probably would be willing to get one of his newer component mods, I need advice on my options as an NSTC gamer.

Also, any chance these ridiculously priced new/sealed copies of Sapphire aren't bootlegs:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Saphire-NEC-P...198505?hash=item35f1650e29:g:I8YAAOSwEetV8VYJ

http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Saphire-N...152669?hash=item419c5c0d5d:g:jAAAAOSwgNRV8Vi8

piggychan

Ok, so later this month I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a modded Duo-R. My U.S. Turbo Duo which I bought back in '94 died on me 11 years ago, I have a large collection of TG-16/PCE games I haven't been able to play for years I'm dying to get back into. Are there any good sources besides Doujin Dance? (don't feel like shipping my Duo to be recapped, it's been dead since 2005 and I'm wondering if the capacitors have leaked onto the circuit board at this point anyways). It seems like he tailors video output to PAL TVs and monitors. I'd prefer something with both s-video and RGB (but will a Doujin Dance system work on my JAMMA rig's Commodore 64 monitor?) but probably would be willing to get one of his newer component mods, I need advice on my options as an NSTC gamer.

Also, any chance these ridiculously priced new/sealed copies of Sapphire aren't bootlegs:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Saphire-NEC-P...198505?hash=item35f1650e29:g:I8YAAOSwEetV8VYJ

http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Saphire-N...152669?hash=item419c5c0d5d:g:jAAAAOSwgNRV8Vi8

I think those two sellers are the same individual.

Speak to a guy called Keith Courage on pc engine fx forums regarding recapping or buying a modded console, there are a few here too that do modding.. one of them I think was Lettuce.

Also I don't know if this will help..

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/sapcomp1.html

Speak to a guy called Keith Courage on pc engine fx forums regarding recapping or buying a modded console, there are a few here too that do modding.. one of them I think was Lettuce.

Thanks, I'll check out the PCE FX forums before I buy from Doujin Dance and thanks for the Sapphire bootleg comparison info. The seal on the eBay copies appears to be in the right place at least but the rest of checklist mostly requires having a picture of an open copy, probably not worth it but I'm gonna investigate further.

The guy behind Tokyotoyfactory, a French dude called Christophe Ratel, has a bit of a reputation when it comes to bootlegs.

http://www.neogeofans.com/leforum/showthread.php?t=43219 (scroll down for English)
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?232600-AES-conversions-from-Tokyo-Toy-Factory-Neo-Ayato

Not sure how much of it is hear-say and whether he's still selling bootlegs or not.

I'll second Keith Courage if you want to buy a pre-modded system. He modded my PCE Duo recapped and RGB modded and did a killer job.

He also has a facebook page for his work you can contact him through.

https://www.facebook.com/turbografxfan/?fref=ts

I've heard a lot of iffy things about Doujin Dance's mods. Heavy use of hotglue, stuff that stops working after a few years, and issues with how he does region mods that cause problems with the Turbo Everdrives.

I don't know if you plan on getting a region modded one, or getting an everdrive but if you do they need to make sure they're doing the mod in a way that works with the everdrive.

The guy behind Tokyotoyfactory, a French dude called Christophe Ratel, has a bit of a reputation when it comes to bootlegs.

http://www.neogeofans.com/leforum/showthread.php?t=43219 (scroll down for English)
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?232600-AES-conversions-from-Tokyo-Toy-Factory-Neo-Ayato

Not sure how much of it is hear-say and whether he's still selling bootlegs or not.

I'll second Keith Courage if you want to buy a pre-modded system. He modded my PCE Duo recapped and RGB modded and did a killer job.

I've heard a lot of iffy things about Doujin Dance's mods. Heavy use of hotglue, stuff that stops working after a few years, and issues with how he does region mods that cause problems with the Turbo Everdrives.

I don't know if you plan on getting a region modded one, or getting an everdrive but if you do they need to make sure they're doing the mod in a way that works with the everdrive.

Thanks guys, these were both very helpful posts!

piggychan

Thanks guys, these were both very helpful posts!

Keith did me a component modded briefcase set up and threw together the system card you see all in that pic.

The system he quoted was 215 plus 85 for the component mod. So including shipping to UK it was 360 USD. He can also do RGB and S-video mod for you.

d3d1801a-719a-4b9c-921b-eacf1cfb1747.jpg

P1020917.jpg

Keith did me a component modded briefcase set up and threw together the system card you see all in that pic.

The system he quoted was 215 plus 85 for the component mod. So including shipping to UK it was 360 USD. He can also do RGB and S-video mod for you.

d3d1801a-719a-4b9c-921b-eacf1cfb1747.jpg

P1020917.jpg

Cool, thanks. I sent him a message about an hour ago asking him whether or not he thinks recapping my Duo is still worth it at this point (due to possible leakage since its been so long) and if not what he would charge if I wanted to just buy a modded Duo-R system instead, still waiting to hear back. Your modded briefcase set up looks awesome, btw.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Thanks for this post on Doujin Dance, been eyeing his modded duo-r for a while, guess i need to find a better solution.

D.Lo

Anyone got any spares of the replacement plastic sleeves?

I'm after a few for Sega games, and they're available on ebay and here, but postage to Australia is ridiculous on both, like $20 for what ill fit in a letter.

piggychan

Anyone got any spares of the replacement plastic sleeves?

I'm after a few for Sega games, and they're available on ebay and here, but postage to Australia is ridiculous on both, like $20 for what ill fit in a letter.

unless you can find someone on facebook or seller in japan who are much closer to your side of the world it looks like you might have to play the waiting game unless you pay that shipping fee. I have ordered a set of them from that seller and the look fairly close to the originals.

Top Bottom