• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night Trap on PS5 will be in 4K

ManaByte

I have it in PS4 and Switch (take THAT Howard Lincoln!), but the PS5 version is tempting at 4K. Curious if there will be an upgrade for the PS4 digital version.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
night-trap-ps5-lrg_1200x.png

20 years ago that cover would have looked dated.
But in 2022 it actually looks modern because girls insist on wearing their Jeans up to their ribcage like my mom did in the 80's/early 90's

Neo_Geo

Banned
Hopefully the OG footage was shot on film and a 4K version will look amazing...But I am not getting my hopes up!

Danknugz

got the 25th anniversary on steam. and of course the sega cd / 3do roms. 4k is cool but i honestly enjoy just as much the 320x240 or whatever the original resolution was, part of the charm i guess.

The Stig

Hopefully the OG footage was shot on film and a 4K version will look amazing...But I am not getting my hopes up!
what else would it have been recorded on?

edit - also this rerelease makes as much sense as the bill and ted ones. night trap sucked. I had it on sega cd.

Last edited:

edit - also this rerelease makes as much sense as the bill and ted ones. night trap sucked. I had it on sega cd.
LRG does what LRG wants I guess. Between this and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties ya just learn to live with the weird

ManaByte

At the time the game was made a lot of stuff was shooting on video because it was cheaper. If it were shot on video a 4K version would be challenging. But since it was on 35mm film they can just scan the negative if its available.

The NES and GB Bill & Ted games were trash and no one has fond memories of them (the Lynx game was OK though). People have fond memories of Night Trap and it's still as cheesy fun as it was back when Nintendo was testifying to congress that it would NEVER appear on a Nintendo system.

Rayderism

Meh, already have the PS4 version, which plays fine on PS5. Higher resolution isn't really going to make much difference, IMO.

theHFIC

At the time the game was made a lot of stuff was shooting on video because it was cheaper. If it were shot on video a 4K version would be challenging. But since it was on 35mm film they can just scan the negative if its available.
I am waiting to see if LRG / Screaming Villains spring for a brand new 4K film to digital transfer or will they'll just do a 1080 to 4K hardware up-convert with the assets they already have and call it a day.

But since I have every other physical Night Trap release since Sega CD I will pick it up regardless.

Plot twist: all three are the Sega CD.
True, true. Refresh my memory, though. The entire 32X was on the cartridge right?, or was it a disc? I never owned a 32X but I did have a SegaCD around launch time and I never owned Night Trap, even at the age of 16 I really wanted nothing to do with it.

Besides I was playing the better FMV games at the time like Time Gal and that Raod Warrior game.

ManaByte

True, true. Refresh my memory, though. The entire 32X was on the cartridge right?, or was it a disc? I never owned a 32X but I did have a SegaCD around launch time and I never owned Night Trap, even at the age of 16 I really wanted nothing to do with it.

Besides I was playing the better FMV games at the time like Time Gal and that Raod Warrior game.

All three were SEGA CD.

The red is the original release, that came in a cardboard box with the game in a standard CD jewel case, like music CDs at the time did.

The blue is the re-release in the same style case as Saturn games.

The yellow is the Sega CD 32X version. If you had all three systems the CD 32X version had a larger video screen and slightly better video quality than the original game.

MastaKiiLA

TIL that they keep releasing the awful Night Trap. Is this just a collector's item, or are people actually having fun playing it? I thought this was 1 and done on SegaCD.

Lunarorbit

I have it in PS4 and Switch (take THAT Howard Lincoln!), but the PS5 version is tempting at 4K. Curious if there will be an upgrade for the PS4 digital version.
DEexJMjXgAAbe0_.jpg:large

For real though I couldn't stand the howard and nester comics on Nintendo power. I would skip them on principal as a kid.

Ps10ppP.jpg

Top Bottom