• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MVP 06 NCAA Baseball screens and video

DMczaf

http://sports.ign.com/articles/665/665391p1.html

Ben Brinkman: Well, first it's an NCAA game, not a professional game! Seriously, I don't know where to begin. With MVP 06 NCAA Baseball we return the depth and gameplay that people have loved over the years but have added a bunch of features that we believe will put this game above all our previous offerings. There's almost too many to count, but I'll give you an idea of some of the today and we'll go more into depth on each of these over the coming months as we continue development. The biggest new feature is that we have a new batting system that we're calling Load and Fire Batting that I think is going to completely change the way you think about batting in a baseball game. We have Precision Throw Control, all-new Online features, a new announcer team, a deep new Dynasty Mode tailored to college baseball, and a whole lot more.

MVP 06 is not a "fresh coat of paint" on an outdated and antiquated game or a re-release with a new mode and a DVD bundled inside. This is MVP Baseball. I believe the leap we made this year versus MVP05 in terms of depth and features is on par with the leap we made between MVP03 and MVP04.

:lol

mvp-06-ncaa-baseball-qa-20051108101614796.jpg
mvp-06-ncaa-baseball-qa-20051108101615390.jpg
mvp-06-ncaa-baseball-qa-20051108101615999.jpg
mvp-06-ncaa-baseball-qa-20051108101617218.jpg
mvp-06-ncaa-baseball-qa-20051108101618530.jpg

But wasn't the old batting system already perfect? Heh, heh.

I actually don't care about this game. I just like to watch EA desperately try to squeeze a few more dollars out of a dead franchise.

Open Source said:
I just like to watch EA desperately try to squeeze a few more dollars out of a dead franchise.

not yet. But wait 4 months when they release the "COLLEGE WORLD SERIES" edition. Now there is something lame only EA would stoop to doing...

Fatalah

Where are all the MVP lovers we usually have around?

If you guys didn't know it, MVP 05 was the best baseball game alot of us have played in years. If MVP NCAA truly builds on MVP05 as they say it will, we'll be all happy campers.

And just so you know: The 2k series sucks in respect to baseball. We actually would have been better off with EA getting the MLB franchise.

Fatalah

truffle, if you take a look at the video, EA Canada does a great job at facial animation and animation in general. I feel like they're on the *verge* of next gen graphics. Their team is SO good. This is the best animated sports game I've played--- and responsive to controls too.

Fatalah said:

If you guys didn't know it, MVP 05 was the best baseball game alot of us have played in years. If MVP NCAA truly builds on MVP05 as they say it will, we'll be all happy campers.

And just so you know: The 2k series sucks in respect to baseball. We actually would have been better off with EA getting the MLB franchise.

Absolutely true. I would go so far as to say that IMO, MVP '05 is the greatest baseball game of all time by a pretty good margin. I hope NCAA keeps up the tradition.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Open Source said:
Wonder why EA never released any roster updates for MVP '05 beyond opening day.

really dropped the ball on that. the fan packs with more photos, etc. are great if you have a mod or action replay.

I think it's probably the best baseball game made. The fact that they didn't get the license is one of the personal gaming tragedies for me.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Hasn't anyone played High Heat before? The last edition ever made (I think '04) craps all over any other baseball game last made (if you appreciate real baseball).

shantyman said:
Hasn't anyone played High Heat before? The last edition ever made (I think '04) craps all over any other baseball game last made (if you appreciate real baseball).

I was a big high heat fan (especially on the PC in the '02 version). The problem for me was that they got complacent and never really upgraded the series. It played very realistic, but IMO MVP trumped it by creating the best pitcher/batter interface ever. It really feels like the chess match it is in real life. For example when you sit on an inside fastball and then get one and hammer it down the line, it's a great feeling (or vice versa when you blow a fastball by someone). Also, MVP can be very realistic with the right settings, and being someone who "appreciates real baseball", I think MVP is a better overall game than High Heat.

No MLB license = no sale for me.

sorry aluminum bats are bad.

When I hit a ball i want to hear the crack of the wooden bat, not the high pitched PING of a juiced aluminum bat.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The best thing about baseball isn't star players or logos, it's the game itself. Baseball Stars was great, it had completely fictional players. I used to play High Heat with completely fictional players. There's no bitching about ratings or unrealistic play, we'll just get to play baseball in its pure form.

The only thing I don't like about college baseball is the damn aluminum bats, but nothing's perfect.

Meier

Drey1082 said:
As bad as it is, I agree. I'm not looking forward to "Player #20 has a .280 average this season."

That doesnt stop NCAA from being an amazing game. In 2006, I know they have a feature that auto-names every player in the game if you dont want just roster #'s for names (a much-needed addition, I refuse to export the first few draft classes just because I dont want HB #23's running around in Madden) and I'd imagine they'll have a similar feature in this. After the first few years though, it isnt even an issue.

And yes, Baseball Stars was absolutely amazing.. hurray for 2-player games and 10-run-ruling the Lovely Ladies to make a lot of cash and upgrade your players. :D

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Baseball Stars and High Heat were great games. Not for the same reasons of course, but I loved them both. But in the case of HH especially, I think people are thinking more nostalgia at this point. MVP has a tremendous, tremendous engine. It doesn't do everything that game did, but it does a lot of the most important things as well and a few better. It needs a deeper stat tracker, etc.

Fatalah said:

Checking in - I can't wait for MVP 06.

Fatalah

I find it really amusing that MVP is made by a Canadian team (Baseball being an American past-time). But heh, those Canadians really *get* the game. MVP's stats are really realistic too, alot of MVP fans are transplant High Heat Baseball fans.

When 2Ksports got the MLB license, they hoped to steal the talent away from the EA staff, but no one from the team has left.

Anyone remember how Microsoft bought the High Heat baseball staff for their Xbox sports line (after 3do died)? Then Msft discontinued doing sports and the team just disappeared.

Who knows, maybe they're over at 2Ksports, maybe they were doing the Pennant Chase game that was never released.

Gosh! So much drama!

Drek

I will SO buy this game.

As for the pro scene? Well, Sony's MLB series is ok, I'll probably buy that at some point next summer, but as long as I can play Baseball Mogul for my GM fetish and have MVP NCAA for some real gamin', I'm happy.

Honestly, if they make the batting something like Tiger Woods I'd shit my pants with happiness.

Oh, and why can a bunch of casual game designers make a rockin' simulation engine the level of Baseball Mogul, where decade after decade the game stays balanced and fun, yet multi-billion dollar EA and 2K Games can't handle a single year without having some flaw that seriously detracts from the franchise modes?

DMczaf

* EA SPORTS™ Load and Fire Batting System—Take full command of your swing with the right analog stick. Featuring multiple new swing types, you have countless options—and complete control—in the batter’s box.

* Creation Zone—Personalize your NCAA experience with an enhanced Custom Ballpark feature, a deeper Create-a-Player and the ability to create your own University.

* The Road to Omaha—Featuring an exclusive NCAA Baseball license with the top universities and conferences, plus authentic ballparks including Rosenblatt Stadium, home of the NCAA Championship.

* Baseball U—Build a college dynasty with year-round recruiting, stat tracking powered by Baseball America and ESPN, as well as authentic equipment upgrades from the top baseball brands via NCAA Challenges.

* Broadcast Style Presentation—See MVP Baseball like never before with new visual enhancements, the top ESPN announcers, television-style presentation, and more.

* Right Analog Throwing Mechanic—Gun down runners at home or make an easy toss to first as you control the power and accuracy of your throws.

mvp-15-20051110044206611.jpg
mvp-15-20051110044207486.jpg
mvp-15-20051110044208220.jpg

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Musashi Wins! said:
Baseball Stars and High Heat were great games. Not for the same reasons of course, but I loved them both. But in the case of HH especially, I think people are thinking more nostalgia at this point. MVP has a tremendous, tremendous engine. It doesn't do everything that game did, but it does a lot of the most important things as well and a few better. It needs a deeper stat tracker, etc.

No, no, absolutely not. It had every stat you could ask for, things liked passed balls, dropped thrid strikes, 1st basemen digging balls out of the dirt, offline throws, etc. YEARS before these "innovations" hit these newer games.

The hitting was zone based and was as realistic as you can get. Pitching was zone based as well, and you told your pitcher to throw a ball or strike, but depending on the pitcer the accuracy was not alway what you wanted. Some days your pitcher just didn't have it and could not throw strikes. It made for very exciting duels as both a pitcher and a batter. And I say without reservation, better than MVP.

You could actually get the computer to strike out looking. You had to work the count as a batter. The AI was insane- pinch running, squeeze plays, double switches, etc. It was as close a simulation of baseball as has been made. The play control was also perfect. I can not overstate this. You never missed balls in the outfield because of shitty auto fielding/auto selection or anything like that.

High Heat 2004 remains to this day the best baseball engine/game ever made. The graphcics and animation were atrocious, but the gameplay was sublime. It had EVERYTHING.

Top Bottom