• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about how great Eternal Champions: Challenge From The Dark Side was

TankRizzo

Banned
This was my favorite fighting game growing up and possibly the most time I've put into a Sega CD game.

91EY%2BgVKpcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

Plot from Wikipedia:

Like the first game, Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side follows the story of the Eternal Champion, who felt the balance of the universe and time had been disturbed by the deaths of key individuals who had been destined to change the world for the greater good. To restore the balance, he held a great contest in which the winner would be granted the gift of new life, allowing them to fulfill their rightful destiny.

In this second chapter, it is revealed that the Eternal Champion has an evil counterpart: the Dark Champion. The Dark Champion appears and declares that he also will enter the contest, and that he has hidden four more warriors, preventing the contest from truly being fulfilled. The contestants must not only achieve the aims of the Eternal Champion but also face the Dark Champion, if they want their lives back.

This sequel included the original roster of characters from the first Eternal Champions, along with a whole new cast of fighters, including some of the ones that were initially discarded from the original Genesis/Mega Drive game. Among them are even five animal characters. Out of them all, only Dawson, Ramses III, Raven and Riptide are available from the beginning in this version. Like the original roster of fighters, even those characters have the potential to affect history in a positive way, either directly or inadvertently, as a result of their actions.

Overkills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQlXJl_zf3Q

I believe this was the best game at the time to use stage/environment fatalities. There was always something new to figure out in every stage.

Still, this game was fantastic in every way. Hell, which other game let you fight as a chicken or a monkey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6vL3P_Liz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgGjiHnzSyU

friz898

It had a lot of potential, and my roommate and I were so hyped about it that we did buy it for the Genesis.

However, figuring out moves or fatalities quickly lost its luster without the internet and none of the game magazines really had it covered. It was also slowly faded when compared to Super Street Fighter. Also, the Saturn and Playstation VF, Tohshinen, Tekken, and SF Alpha sealed its fate.

My only other complaint was it was too quiet. You didn't hear much voice or player sounds like you would from a street fighter or mortal kombat (or even a Streets of Rage). It was like all music with a few muffled grunts.

Again, it had so much potential, but the sequel that never came would have been a great game.

Edit: I guess your version was a sequel? Without googling to remember, I assumed it was pretty much same game with better soundtrack and a couple of extras like was common with Sega CD games at the time.

Top Bottom