• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crazy Taxi fare wars looks awful!

MAZYORA

I just watched the trailor to crazy taxi fair wars on psp at IGN, and boy does it look ugly. The framerate looks to be dropped to 30fps with slowdown, it's extremely jaggy, and the textures warp playstation one style. They should have had sumo digital port Crazy Taxi 3 over instead. The team that did this port sucks. It doesn't even come close graphically to the DC version. Watch the video. Comparison shots won't show a thing.

Mmmkay

Yep it looks like absolute garbage. Screenshots were one thing, but seeing this in motion, it's a complete mess. I really hope it's just early in development (a lot of odd glitches like the taxi window flickering in and out of existence), but I'm not optimistic.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
MAZYORA said:
I just watched the trailor to crazy taxi fair wars on psp at IGN, and boy does it look ugly. The framerate looks to be dropped to 30fps with slowdown, it's extremely jaggy, and the textures warp playstation one style. They should have had sumo digital port Crazy Taxi 3 over instead. The team that did this port sucks. It doesn't even come close graphically to the DC version. Watch the video. Comparison shots won't show a thing.

Wait the PSP is suppose to be more powerful than the DC? When did that memo come out?

The game does look like ass regardless.

MAZYORA said:
The framerate looks to be dropped to 30fps with slowdown, it's extremely jaggy, and the textures warp playstation one style.

Even if the game ran at 60fps, it would never show in an IGN video because they're all encoded at 30fps anyway.

nitewulf

DarienA said:
Wait the PSP is suppose to be more powerful than the DC? When did that memo come out?

The game does look like ass regardless.
it isnt? i think most 3d psp games look better than DC games. less polygons but effects/quality are better.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i just saw the video from IGN and i though it was running on PSX or Saturn...horrible pop up and jaggies that makes a PS2 look HD...actually it looks like RR5 jaggies.

Sonki.

Banned
Soul4ger said:
OMG BUT THIS GAME ALLOWS CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS I'M GOING TO BUY IT JUST FOR THAT LOL OLOL OOLOL CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS RAWK YEAH AWESOME NEEDS MORE CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS I'M BUYING THIS PIECE OF SHIT JUST FOR THAT FEATURE.

Oh, it happened.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142553&highlight=crazy+taxi+custom+soundtrack

This game looks like shit.

All I see is people posting about how awesome Custom Soundtrack is.

I can't believe you took 5-10 minutes looking for that thread.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sonki. said:
All I see is people posting about how awesome Custom Soundtrack is.

I can't believe you took 5-10 minutes looking for that thread.

Don't mind him, he just hates the PSP and the people that praise it

Remember back when Sega was relevant? They've almost become a parody of themselves, crapping all over their posterity with greedy aplomb. Perhaps it has something to do with the Sammy merger. Or maybe they feel good games are no longer necessary without the urgency of a failing system.

D-X

I remember Crazy Taxi being one of the series Sega put to bed a few years ago(along with NiGHTS). Does this count as a resurrection or is anyone waiting for Crazy Taxi 4?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You know, that does look bad...but not necessarily as inaccurate as people seem to think.

1) You can't tell framerate from these videos as they are encoded at 30 fps
2) The floating texture issue, while a bit more severe here, was also present on Dreamcast (in a number of titles even) so it isn't THAT odd (and certainly not PSX style)
3) The DC version also had serious draw-in issues
4) The image quality has suffered due to the fact that the video was blown up. The PSP screen is 480x272 and the high-res IGN video is blown up to 640x360. That increase results in a nasty looking video.

So, yeah, the port isn't perfect, but I think it may be better than the video seems to suggest.

Top Bottom