• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Sega GT Ever Return?

Celcius

°Temp. member
In the year 2000 Sega released a racing game for the Sega Dreamcast called Sega GT:

SegaGTcover.jpg
sgt_zpsxoaxdu1v.jpg

This game featured over 130 cars, 22 tracks, nice graphics for its day, and even had a feature where you could create your own car. Being able to upgrade your cars & drive everyday cars in addition to race cars was very cool, and there were also plenty of events to keep you occupied. Eventually it was also released on PC.

Then 2 years later, Sega released Sega GT 2002 for the Microsoft Xbox:

Sega_GT_2002_Coverart.png
3.jpg

The 2nd entry in the series featured improved graphics, improved controls, drag racing, much improved menus / user interface, a damage system that rewarded players for clean driving, license tests, and a much improved single player campaign including 2 seasons and a variety of different events. You also had to perform maintenance on your car over time and another thing I considered unique was how you sold a car - instead of just selling it to a dealer, you would select how much you wanted to sell it for and then a for-sale sign would appear in your yard until the car was sold. Plus, you could even view your garage and buy things for it. 2 years later, Sega released an online-enabled version of the game with over 40 new cars, bringing the total to over 165.

I've owned both the original Dreamcast game and the original version of the Xbox game back in their heydays and thoroughly enjoyed both. Lately I was thinking though... imagine if Sega released a Sega GT 3 on modern hardware. The sequel was a big improvement over the original and a new entry could be just as big of an improvement. Plus, Sega seemed to add something innovative in every iteration like making your own car in the first game and the unique selling system or drag-racing in the sequel (at the time no one else was doing it).

Would anyone else be interested in a new Sega GT?

Justinh

I think they'd have a really hard time with the competition they'd be getting from Sony and Microsoft with your Forza, Forza Horizons, Driveclubs, and Gran Turismos...

We could ask this about a lot of Sega franchises like Sonic and Streets of Rage.

I only played GT 2002 when it was packed in with JSRF. Enjoyed what I played. If Sega maybe released a cheaper digital only version, it could be possible. But a full price release, no way.

Fushin

I probably put hundreds of hours into GT 2002. With a custom soundtrack burned to the hard drive it was driving nirvana.

I probably put hundreds of hours into GT 2002. With a custom soundtrack burned to the hard drive it was driving nirvana.

Identical experience here. Put sooooo much time into that game while listening to my awful angsty teenager soundtracks back in the day.

mr2xxx

Banned
They'll need to spend 60 mill.+ to compete against two established franchises that have first party support. I'm still waiting for a Shining Force sequel so get in back of the line!

The market it's in would be far too competitive. Especially since the original games failed to establish any real momentum. They'd be much better off bringing back their classic arcade-style racers that would actually be unique in the current market place.

brett2

It doesn't have the legacy or unique appeal of Outrun or Daytona USA (or probably another 10 well known Sega racers) so I don't see the point. What does Sega GT have that Forza, Driveclub or the various NFS games lack?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It will return when Jet Set Radio returns

91qpmpIR6sL._SX425_.jpg

Fushin

Never played it, but the screenshots looked aweful. Seemed like a cheap game to counter Gran Turismo.

There was something different enough about GT 2002 that made me appreciate it, even as a fan of Gran Turismo. Maybe it was a little more of an arcade racer than a complete simulation (though not lacking in simulation itself), or it could have been being able to plug my own CDs onto the hard drive. But at the time I was able to enjoy both equally.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Never played it, but the screenshots looked aweful. Seemed like a cheap game to counter Gran Turismo.

I saw it as more of a counter to Ridge Racer rather than Gran Turismo. Both series are dead.

iidesuyo

There was something different enough about GT 2002 that made me appreciate it, even as a fan of Gran Turismo. Maybe it was a little more of an arcade racer than a complete simulation (though not lacking in simulation itself), or it could have been being able to plug my own CDs onto the hard drive. But at the time I was able to enjoy both equally.

But Gran Turismo had those shiny (fake) reflections on the car... Sega GT looks average.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It doesn't have the legacy or unique appeal of Outrun or Daytona USA (or probably another 10 well known Sega racers) so I don't see the point. What does Sega GT have that Forza, Driveclub or the various NFS games lack?

See the OP - they added something innovative every time like making your own car. Plus in Gran Turismo it feels more like you're a professional driver (I've never played Forza so I can't compare it). In Sega GT 2002 though, they show your house, you could customize your garage, if you listed a car for sale then a for-sale sign appeared in your yard until the car sold, etc... In this series it was more like you were just a normal guy who earned money from racing to keep buying better cars.

bwahhhhh

as a massive Sega racing fanboy, Sega GT was a huge disappointment for being 30fps when all of their arcade games and most DC racing games were 60. (or close) don't even get me started on the current state of racing games. I understand that they felt they had to get to Gran Turismo-esque graphics, but even then the handling was... odd? I only played with the DC controller, so maybe it was better with a wheel.

never played 2002 enough to form an opinion

Synth

I think they'd have a really hard time with the competition they'd be getting from Sony and Microsoft with your Forza, Forza Horizons, Driveclubs, and Gran Turismos...
I saw it as more of a counter to Ridge Racer rather than Gran Turismo. Both series are dead.

What the hell guys? How is Driveclub, Forza Horizon and especially Need for Speed and Ridge Racer anything like this? (Ridge Racer?... seriously?)

The answer though is definitely no. Sega GT was already struggling for relevance against Gran Turismo 2... the competition between GT and Forza over the years, and now with the addition of Project Cars has moved this type of racer so far along that there's simply no way Sega as they are could compete in this space. They'd basically have to buy out Project Cars or Assetto Corsa, and just rebrand it, as they sure as hell don't have what it takes to create one of their own right now.

Saroyan

I remember having a lot of fun with the create your own car stuff, but I think the console racing sim segment Is pretty full

Justinh

What the hell guys? How is Driveclub, Forza Horizon and especially Need for Speed and Ridge Racer anything like this? (Ridge Racer?... seriously?)

My point was that no matter how this game plays, there is most likely already a "backed" racing game that is similar to what this game would be. My fault for not communicating it well enough.

I guess unless it were going to be like Blur or something.

Maybe they should make a game that's like Tokyo Xtreme Racer...

Synth

My point was that no matter how this game plays, there is most likely already a "backed" racing game that is similar to what this game would be.

I guess unless it were going to be like Blur or something...

Yea to be fair, your post was by far the least eyebrow-raising of those I quoted. Asking what it offers that NFS lacks though.... or it being a counter to Ridge Racer (despite Daytona USA pretty successfully countering Ridge Racer the very year it debuted) were just kinda crazy.

Krejlooc

Banned
If Sega starts making racing games again and it's not Outrun 3, Sonic Racing 3, or Daytona USA 3, I would be so disappointed.

Synth

If Sega starts making racing games again and it's not Outrun 3, Sonic Racing 3, or Daytona USA 3, I would be so disappointed.

Especially considering that you could make all three of those plus a new Sega Rally for like half what it'd take to compete with Gran Turismo and Forza today.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Yea to be fair, your post was by far the least eyebrow-raising of those I quoted. Asking what it offers that NFS lacks though.... or it being a counter to Ridge Racer (despite Daytona USA pretty successfully countering Ridge Racer the very year it debuted) were just kinda crazy.

Yes, I consider Sega GT more of a counter to Ridge Racer, not to the well known best selling Gran Turismo series. Going past little gameplay similarities between Sega GT and Gran Turismo, if you were to compare in terms of which franchise was treated like the Triple A money maker and which was not, Ridge Racer and Sega GT are the B-tier Racing franchises on their respective platforms. In an era where people can't afford B-tier, they are both equally dead franchises.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yes, I consider Sega GT more of a counter to Ridge Racer, not to the well known best selling Gran Turismo series. Going past little gameplay similarities between Sega GT and Gran Turismo, if you were to compare in terms of which franchise was treated like the Triple A money maker and which was not, Ridge Racer and Sega GT are the B-tier Racing franchises on their respective platforms. In an era where people can't afford B-tier, they are both equally dead franchises.

Sega GT was never B-tier though. The original game came out on the Dreamcast and was the only game of it's kind on the system (though it was competing with GT2 on a different platform, but wasn't 2nd-tier). The sequel came out years before the first Forza game and again was competing with the GT franchise (GT3 this time) but still was not considered B-tier.

I have to disagree with you about Ridge Racer too - the similarities between Sega GT and Gran Turismo aren't just about gameplay, but also being able to upgrade & own hundreds of cars, passing licence tests, etc...

bwahhhhh

They'll need to spend 60 mill.+ to compete against two established franchises that have first party support. I'm still waiting for a Shining Force sequel so get in back of the line!

Yeah, when we're at the point that real life car models and tracks (and physics, to a lesser extent) in GT and Forza have gotten so realistic, and been iterated upon repeatedly, combined with the budgets that they have for this gen, then throw in PCars, it's tough to make a case for yet another driving sim-esque game with those production values being worth sinking money in to. especially resurrecting one that never sold well to begin with. all of these current aspects can get better, but the incentive to jump in to this competition is pretty damn small.

SHINING FORCE FANS GET BEHIND STREETS OF RAGE FANS~ at least y'all got a 3D entry (i love both)

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Sega GT was never B-tier though. The original game came out on the Dreamcast and was the only game of it's kind on the system (though it was competing with GT2 on a different platform, but wasn't 2nd-tier). The sequel came out years before the first Forza game and again was competing with the GT franchise (GT3 this time) but still was not considered B-tier.

I have to disagree with you about Ridge Racer too - the similarities between Sega GT and Gran Turismo aren't just about gameplay, but also being able to upgrade & own hundreds of cars, passing licence tests, etc...

All of what you listed is part of gameplay, tasks that you do in game that hold similarities to Gran Turismo. Also, yes, the game can be compared to Gran Turismo on that gameplay level, but you can not compare the two when it comes to budget and marketing. If anything, I would rather put Daytona series on that comparable level, because that series was more well known and well beloved. Again, I'm specifically talking about marketing, sales, and which is considered A-tier in that manner. In that case, Sega GT and Ridge Racer series are both B-tier. Both of them eventually did not make it to the finish line because of that. This argument would be a lot more difficult if you asked Project Gotham vs Forza or Burnout vs Need for Speed in terms of who was B-tier and what was A-tier, as those lines converge at certain points.

Komo

Banned
Please no more simcade racers. The market's saturated.

If you want to bring back any SEGA racers, bring back the arcade ones. Daytona USA, Outrun, SEGA Rally, SEGA Touring Car Championship, etc.

Bioshocker

I'd prefer if Sega brought back another franchise than Sega GT. It was never any fun. The controls were so dull. But then I've always been a arcade racing guy. Sega GT was never a success and it won't stand a chance against the likes of Forza and GT today.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No way will it ever return. They can barely make games with their old established franchises let alone a costly GT/Forza competitor.

Top Bottom