• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Exlusives :(

GaussTek

... WHY WE DIDN'T GET A CONSOLE/PC PORT? :/

We all know the Arcades are almost (if not completly) dead (at least in NA).

There were a few bunch of arcade centers where I live. But they were replaced by Starbucks (literaly), and some of them only left there a very few classics, like Daytona USA (1), DDR and some KOF/Metal Slug games.

The point is, those have a console counterpart, but now I'm talking about the ones didn't get a port, and probably will take a long time to get dumped/emulated in MAME, and probably everyone will forget about those soon. Now, most Arcade games get a port, so now we don't have to worry :p

Here are some examples:

-[Relatively] Recent games:

------------------------------------
------------------------------------
The House of the Dead 4

Board: Sega Lindbergh
Year: 2005-2006

House%20of%20the%20Dead%204%20big.jpg

cabinet.jpg

gfs_68675_2_3.jpg

929112_20050901_screen002.jpg

The second one is the HotD4 Special Cabinet. I'm surprised this didn't get a port. OK, we will get Overkill for Wii, but this definitely looked sooo great in a 52" screen. Oh man, I hope we get at least a PC port some day.

----------------------
----------------------
Sega Rally 3

Board: Sega Europa-R
Year: 2008

sega_Sega_Rally_3.jpg

sr3-screenshot-105.jpg

This is NOT the same as Sega Rally Revo, all courses are new, looks better and runs at 60 FPS. I think only the music is the same. Again, hope we see at least a PC port if current consoles can't handle it. More screenes & video here:
http://arcadeheroes.com/2008/07/07/sega-rally-3-screens-video/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 & 2

Board: Triforce
Year: 2005 (1), 2007 (2)

450px-Mario_Kart_Arcade_GP_videocrab.jpg

machine.jpg

We all know those, but you know, I'm surprised Nintendo/Namco leave them as AC exclusives. Yeah, MK-Wii is superior, but those games are great too. A Wii port with both of them someday? Probably not :(

-Older games:

------------------------
------------------------
Daytona USA 2

Board: Model 3 Step 2.1
Year: 1998

sim_daytona_usa_2.jpg

daytona2.gif

We got 1 Revamped, but this was forgotten. Anyway, even if this won't get ported, I will still dream with Daytona USA 3 for consoles :D

-------------------------
-------------------------
Mambo A GoGo

Board: Bemani System 573 Digital
Year: 2001

anim03.gif

mambo%20a%20go%20go.JPG

asobi.gif

Mambo_A_Go_Go_Japanese_Arcade_Machine.summ.jpg

This was great, I think Donkey Konga got the concept from this. According to Wiki
Mambo a Go Go is probably the most obscure music video game by Konami, as it was overshadowed by another music game produced by Sega; Samba de Amigo.

Shame :(

----------------------------
----------------------------
The Ocean Hunter

Board: Model 3 Step 2.1
Year: 1998

1089087336.jpg

ocean_hunter_2.jpg

oceanhunter.jpg

This game was great. I almost finished with my brother. The Bosses were great and also graphics. Apparently this game is very rare now :(

I forgot some. But hope some of you can post em too.

Aaron

Virtua Cop 3 as well, though I honestly didn't like what I played of it. It was too dependent on gotcha moments that broke up the shooting.

TJ Spyke

I want ports of the Mario Kart games. There was only 1 arcade anywhere in my area (and it's closed now) and they didn't get either one.

Because the PS1 days proved that unless you are going to significantly add value and content above and beyond what the arcade machine offers then forget the home conversion.

Planet Harriers (I finally got to play this when I found a machine randomly in a go-kart/entertainment park)
Crackin' DJ
Ollie King

I'm still waiting for After Burner Climax

and I believe it was already released on the PS2, but I still want ports of Police 24/7 on PS3 with PS Eye and Guncon 3 support, or even some janky form on the wii with the balance board.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the ones that have always killed me are the raiden fighters series and ketsui -- one is on j360 and the other shortly will be. unfortunately j360 exclusivity is almost as annoying as arcade exclusivity

Teknopathetic said:
Planet Harriers (I finally got to play this when I found a machine randomly in a go-kart/entertainment park)

I saw an arcade machine of that once in person, once, in an airport in England. Never before (other than a picture and a few postage stamp videos online), and never after. And I didn't get to play the damn thing because everyone I was with was tired.

Let's Go Jungle is also kind of entertaining, except if you take the path where you get stuck with slingshots in one or two later stages.

KTallguy

Banned
The newish arcade afterburner game.

WHERE THE FUCK IS IT? SEGA? WHAT THE FUCK!

I also wish I could have tried Psi Phi, that touch screen fighter.

Tain

Plenty, as shown.

Although, to be totally honest, I'd rather developers make these games for arcades and have them not ported for ages than developing them strictly for consoles. It allows them to at least exist without compromises or console development methods interfering, even if they won't be ported/emulated for ages.

I'd love to play Virtual On Force some day. I'd love to see how much better than Marz it really is, how VO pans out with four players, and how the Hikaru setup all ran.

jarrod

Banned
Given how well Ghost Squad sold, I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen Virtua Cop 3 on Wii yet. Get AM2/TOSE on it already!

I'm praying Sumo follows Outrun Arcade Online up with After Burner Climax for PS360 (either download or disc, I don't care). HOTD4 seems like a perfect candidate for Wii HD launch. :D

Aru

morningbus said:
SegaSonic the Hedgehog:

1051016236.gif
1083862320.png
1054052436.jpg
1051088863.gif

(Images courtesy of KLOV)

I can't find a picture of the arcade cabinet, but it used a trackball and a single button. This was also the first appearance of Mighty the Armadillo.

That game can stay AC exclusive, I won't mind.
The trackball gameplay is hell and the game itself not that great.

jarrod

Banned
Sega's got a few older Triforce games sitting around that might make for easy Wii ports (Virtua Striker 4, Key Avalon 1/2). Actually Konami has a Triforce fps even (Wartran Troopers), they should do a quick and dirty port of that.

We'll never see Namco's TF Mario Kart unless they change all the characters and environments to Namco mascots... which could be kind of neat actually. Klonoa, Pac-Man, Susumu, Valkyrie, etc.

Cobra84

The House of the Dead 4 - Graphically inferior to Xbox360 and PS3. Light guns are a pain to use on non-CRTs.

Sega Rally 3 - Hardware above current consoles. Nobody wants a cut down port.

Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 & 2 - They fucking suck ass.

Daytona USA 2/The Ocean Hunter - Graphically inferior to the Dreamcast and the Saturn was dead and not powerful enough.

Mambo A GoGo - Obscure game that needs special hardware.

Tain said:
I heard the Triforce Mario Kart games were pretty bad.

The one I played was so terrible that I didn't even want to finish my first lap.

Shockgamer said:

This could be done on Wii right? From an input standpoint, using combined motion of nunchuck and wiimote swiftly moving in a particular direction to dodge/duck/whatever?

It does supprise me that more arcade games aren't ported to one or more of the home consoles, you could even sell them at a slightly more budget price to make up for lack of 'substance' maybe and attract more people.. I dunno I'm not a marketing guy.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
jarrod said:
Sega's got a few older Triforce games sitting around that might make for easy Wii ports (Virtua Striker 4, Key Avalon 1/2). Actually Konami has a Triforce fps even (Wartran Troopers), they should do a quick and dirty port of that.

We'll never see Namco's TF Mario Kart unless they change all the characters and environments to Namco mascots... which could be kind of neat actually. Klonoa, Pac-Man, Susumu, Valkyrie, etc.

Kinda funny: Pac-Man is already in the game!

AlexMogil

1181242172216.jpg

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade. I think it ran off NAOMI 1 hardware, so it would have been possible on the Dreamcast.

I just though the look of it was so much prettier than the Rogue Leader games.

jarrod

Banned
AlexMogil said:
1181242172216.jpg

Star Wars Trilogy Arcade. I think it ran off NAOMI 1 hardware, so it would have been possible on the Dreamcast.

I just though the look of it was so much prettier than the Rogue Leader games.
Nope, it was Model 3. They could even release it emulated on the download services.

AniHawk said:
212togx.jpg

Why goddamnit, why.
Wasn't there a DOS version? I think I remember playing it on a computer.
AlexMogil said:
https://secure.solve.net/arcade/zencart/images/1181242172216.jpg[IMG]

I just though the look of it was so much prettier than the Rogue Leader games.[/QUOTE]
One of the best SW games ever.

Top Bottom