Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Ferrari collection

mrm

I am one of those rare hybrid collector/builder type of guys. I enjoy enormously building plastic model kits, but I take no lesser joy from collecting some good quality die cast models. And a lot of times I blend the two by modifying my diecast models to bring them up to desirable spec or quality. 

I will divide my collection in two topics. This one would be Ferrari only and the other one would be everything else. 

Let's start where Ferrari started. Winning at LeMans.

Edited by mrm

18 hours ago, mrm said:

I am one of those rare hybrid collector/builder type of guys. I enjoy enormously building plastic model kits, but I take no lesser joy from collecting some good quality die cast models. And a lot of times I blend the two by modifying my diecast models to bring them up to desirable spec or quality. 

Michael, you are not alone.  There are several of us here like you who build and collect so welcome aboard.

Gary

• Thanks 1

Some truly special machines were early Superamericas. Those were the most exclusive of all Ferraris at the time and some of the most expensive cars in the world. They were all custom build for special customers and were basically the factory hot rods. 

FERRARI 410 Superamerica (1955-'590 - Mattel Elite

dsc1242v.jpg

dsc1244.jpg

dsc1245l.jpg

dsc1246y.jpg

dsc1247v.jpg

dsc1248e.jpg

And here is one more of the same Superamerica, but build slightly different per it's owner's request. Kuddos to mattel for releasing the models with their subtle differences. 

1957 FERRARI 410 Superamerica [1955-'59) - Mattel Elite

dsc1267qe.jpg

dsc1268l.jpg

dsc1269h.jpg

dsc1270o.jpg

dsc1271g.jpg

dsc1272u.jpg

Perhaps everyone prefers more modern Ferraris. So keeping the Superamerica theme, here is one from the beginning of the century. 

2005 FERRARI 575 SUPERAMERICA - Mattel Elite

zebdDB.jpg8N0quV.jpg

b6mXi7.jpg

QglQ1U.jpg

efMpQM.jpg

FhoqND.jpg

JLspxx.jpg

Skqk5q.jpg

Lnrq6T.jpg

2eGieX.jpg

aGUAYk.jpg

PKKEG9.jpg

7mmO9D.jpg

G7EKUY.jpg

Edited by mrm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Your photos are very enlightening and appreciated as I had not seen them in this scale.  Thank you for sharing them.

You're quite welcome. Lots more to come. 

I can't really judge how much interest this generates, but I am going to continue to unravel Ferrari's family tree. 

So the Ferrari 575M (which stands for Modificata) is an evolution of it's predecessor the 550 Maranello. 

The 550 is a very special and important model in Ferrari's line up. Back in the '60s the 365 GTB4 Daytona (which actually has never been the official name of the car) was King of the hill. It was Ferrari's flagship model and believe it or not, faster and better in pretty much every way than Lamborghini's ground braking Miura. However that last car changed the face of the proverbial supercar for ever. As the rear engined wedge shape became the standard image that popped up in everyone's head when supercar was mentioned. Ferrari followed suit to please the money people. So the following flagships became the various 365/512s, followed by three generations of Testarossas.  The 550 Maranello was the return of the classic Ferrari with its V12 motor in the front of the car, making for a great new Grand Touring flagship. It's design by Pininfarina also evoked the shape of classic Ferraris of the past, incorporating many details from the Daytona and the 250 GTO. To make things even more special for me, I was living in Chicago at the time and was at Continental Motorsport when the first one was delivered tot he dealership. it was all red with the classic black on tan leather interior and it was so beautiful that it hurt. To this day Ferrari's flagship models have kept the 550's formula - front engined V12 Grand Tourers with classic Ferrari shapes of the past. 

Several model makers make a 1:18 diecast model of it. Bburago, Maisto, Hot Wheels..... But the best of them all is the now defunct UT models. These can still be found for a reasonable prices and worth every penny. 

FERRARI 550 MARANELLO - UT Models

8APiTH.jpg

G7EOWn.jpg

Iwpe96.jpg

HA5Dkc.jpg

Af3e9Z.jpg

DN5sJO.jpg

AZrbug.jpg

5gThCY.jpg

Edited by mrm
  • Like 1

The classic red on black and tan 550 Maranello holds a sentimental value to me, but my favorite color combo for this car is definitely silver on black and red. 

Manufacturer is UT again. 

s6fChD.jpg

8KlMhk.jpg

SVJs78.jpg

Kx9Qn8.jpg

zvcDHf.jpg

gNecKr.jpg

5gZqyw.jpg

n11jHK.jpg

cNZwdt.jpg

bEYVOu.jpg

siKbW2.jpg

• Like 1

The 550 Maranello also starts a trend in Ferrari production that is still going strong 'till today. That is to release a new model and then follow it with a limited edition variant based on it. Such was the case with the 550 Barchetta. Now that is a name associated with the car that put Ferrari on the map by winning LeMans - the 166MM. The little open car was nicknamed "Barchetta", which in Italian means "little boat". Ferrari Took the roof off the 550, chopped the windshield and called the exclusive series of only 448 cars  "550 Barchetta". 

FERRARI 550 BARCHETTA PININFARINA - Mattel Elite

xTKEEu.jpg

1AWW5P.jpg

ezBkCb.jpg

Pg41RF.jpg

sYvfFn.jpg

1UNJqH.jpg

QcW73t.jpg

zHyEAF.jpg

Wd7rYn.jpg

tooFrj.jpg

RDl9Qh.jpg

CwqpeI.jpg

7kSPke.jpg

Mattel made this model in their Elite series in black also. The black ones still can be found for reasonable prices and look gorgeous. I would highly recommend getting one if that's your type of car. The cream interior on the black paint looks delish.

FERRARI 550 BARCHETTA - Mattel Elite

5FDh3t.jpg

nAWVvj.jpg

kp12TL.jpg

gOpBBi.jpg

JfBLmG.jpg

dcOKTA.jpg

Edited by mrm

The 550 Maranello may have brought Ferrari's old ways to the company, but the 575 was the better car. Not visually IMO, but still. his led to way more cars being based on the 575 than the 550. 

One such car was the very small series, I believe only six were made, of the bespoke 575Z. The Z standing for Zagatto, who designed the new body. 

Q3zzUv.jpg

The story of this car is very interesting. Andrea Zagato inherits the company, which has very rich history with Ferrari. For quite some time the company was waiting for the right time to release a Ferrari based model. In 2006 right before the 50the anniversary of Zagato's first Ferrari, the company received an inquiry from a Japanese collector - Mr. Hayashi, if they can build him a custom 12 cylinder Zagato bodied Ferrari. Andrea Zagato puts the wheels in motion, fully aware that there is huge difference between customer bought Ferrari that has its body changed and an official limited Ferrari model. Eventually he gets Ferrari's permission to use their name and badges and the car is given the green light as an official Ferrari product under one condition. Not to be shown at the Geneva Auto Salon the same year, as Ferrari was debuting their 575 replacement the 599. The car is met with great approval from both Ferrari and Mr Hayashi and actually represents the last series from the 575 family. 

FERRARI 575 GTZ sn127394 - Mattel Elite

Enguaj.jpg

N1iRsI.jpg

0L6cTT.jpg

2WomnW.jpg

G11qPk.jpg

AsWiXD.jpg

P92Ehz.jpg

XQ3oYE.jpg

I8SLTf.jpg

vjMeoZ.jpg

vJueXA.jpg

bEkfIN.jpg

l2mEGA.jpg

The coolest thing about Hayashi-San is that not only he had the drive and means to get Zagato to make the cars, but he actually ordered two of them. The two-tone grey one was for his personal collection to admire and polish in private, while a second black example was made for him to drive and enjoy on the road. Later on the black one was sold and I believe subsequently repainted, but the very first one made, the two-toned one is still in his collection to this day with pretty much no miles on the odometer. 

FERRARI 575 GTZ - Mattel Elite

Ag9sg0.jpg

tXZ6Aa.jpg

GqFc6a.jpg

8KPjGn.jpg

3Tl8In.jpg 

U699I8.jpg

yENBKa.jpg

0eJeEJ.jpg

QSX1Ip.jpg

d3rggc.jpg

gYgPbp.jpg