SarahKa's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Have you ever heard forró?

Hello everyone!

Today I'm here to talk about a very popular Brazilian music style: forró.

forro.jpg

I did a meetup about music and showed a Forró music so I decided talk more about it.

(Tomorrow I'll post the recap)

Forró was rised in the Northeast, but is danced throughout Brazil. Each region has a way of dancing and is preferred in some states (and are brazilian teaching it in other coutries as well!).

The origen of Forró have some versions but the two more famous are:

- At the end of the 19th century, the English who worked on the iron constructions located in the Northeast had great parties. Some of these parties were open to the public and they spread signs with the words "For All" (in English). Thus, the term forró was originated by the variation of the pronunciation of the expression in English.

- The American soldiers held parties that were called forrobodó (African expression that means drag-foot, racket, party for rabble). Thus, according to Aurélio (the most recognized dictionary in Brazil), the word forró is the contraction of the term forrobodó.

To dance forró you need a partner and have some ways to dance.

The types of Forró music are:

1. Forró pé de serra
Forró pé de serra was created in the mid-40s and is the most traditional of all types. Most of the time, he is formed by a team of three musicians who play triangle, accordion and zabumba. The steps are basic and defined by the simple turn of the lady. The great representatives of forró emerged from there, for example, Luiz Gonzaga, Gonzaguinha, Genival Lacerda and several others.

This is Luiz Gonzaga singing 'Respeita Januário' (Respect Januário) Is possible to add subtitles on youtube video.

People dancing Forró Xote

2. Forró Universitário (University Forró)
The university forró was born in São Paulo by young people tuned in to the news of music and is influenced by Rock`n Roll, Samba, Funk and Reggae. The dance became more stylized, with more complex turns and a more elaborate sequence of steps. The main names of this style are Falamansa, Rastapé and others.

Falamansa singing 'Xote dos Milagres' (xote of miracles) with subtitles.

People dancing Forró Universitário.

3. Forró Eletrônico (Electronic Forró)
Electronic forró generates many controversies among the more traditional ones, however it has great success throughout Brazil, especially among young people. The music is already influenced by the guitar, drums and keyboard. It is a more pop forró and the steps are fast, with complex turns. The best known names of this style are Aviões do forró, Wesley Safadão, Calcinha Preta and others.

Wesley Safadão singing 'Sonhei que estava casando' (I dreamed that I was getting married) with subtitles.

People dancing Forró Eletrônico (Eletrônic Forró)

The most famous band and people are with man. Have one or other that is changing, but women need to fight a little bit to get sucess in the Forró World. Other thing that is changing is about dancing. Normally is woman and man, but now ir more common see men dancing together and women as well.

A bonus video of one of my favorite songs: Xique-xique.

Well, I hope that was good for you read it.

Take care!

11 comments
Level 10

Re: Have you ever heard forró?

@SarahKa  a very rich history and am sure the people of your country a proud if this dance from the videos it brings in happiness and it brings people together .nice post

Level 9

Thanks @And12-X2  🙂

yeah, people love to dance and even who don't know how to dance it, dance a little bit hahaha

Level 9

I have never heard of it!!

This is whole new experience for me.Thanks for sharing @SarahKa. I have enjoyed the video you have posted 

Shakil Akhter Khan,Motorbiker, LG from Dhaka
Who Am I-

Profile & Post Information

Level 9

I glad you liked @ShakilAK  🙂 

Did you try to dance when listen the songs? 

I hope the answer is yes hahaha 

Is possible to find some tutorial online btw.

Take care!

Connect Moderator

Faltou você dançando forró, @SarahKa! Eu gosto de forró, quando era mais jovem (parece que sou um idoso falando assim) eram nos forrós da vidas que eu ia para arrumar as namoradinhas. Esse ano meu plano era entrar em uma aula de dança de salão e aprender um pouco para junho ir a campina grande (passagem comprada, mas provavelmente não vou conseguir ir né), mas enfim, adoro o ritmo, o som e a importância do forró para socialização.

Um abraçao!

Level 9

Thanks for the encouragement @SarahKa!!!

Yes, I have tried a little ☺️

But as I have understand, I need a partner to do it. I will see some videos in YouTube 

Shakil Akhter Khan,Motorbiker, LG from Dhaka
Who Am I-

Profile & Post Information

Level 7

OMG, it's a perfect explanation! Even I didn't know about its history and I love forró. Thanks for sharing this amazing part of Brazilian history.

Level 9

ahhahahaha @AlexandreCampbell  quem sabe um dia eu tenha coragem de postar aqui. Mas por enquanto vai só em vídeos do youtube mesmo. Pode não parecer, mas as vezes sou tímida. Acho que pode ter um ou outro vídeo antigo meu por aqui dançando no summit, mas não tenho certeza. 

Espero que você consiga ir nessa viagem (mesmo que altere a data pro futuro, lembre de tentar isso em breve, hein).

Abraços virtuais e espero que até breve!

Level 9

That's nice @ShakilAK ! I'm happy that you tried a little bit.

Normally you need a partner, but if you don't have for these days, is possible try the steps by yourself (of if a broom hahaha).

I hope that I can see you dancing forró someday!

Cheers, 

Sarah.