Bolo Yeung 楊斯

DragonClaws

Yang Sze, Bolo Yeung, 楊斯, -  Biography & Filmography

Written & compiled by Luke Brown

- "We are unique gentleman, in that we create ourselves...through long years of rigorous training, denial, pain, sacrifice, we forge our bodies in the fire of our will" – Han (Sek Kin)

Source: Michael Allin's script for Enter the Dragon (1973).

In Cantonese his name is Yong Shi, and in Manderin his name is pronounced Yan Su. His 1970's screen name was Yang Sze, who is a former Weightlifter turned Bodybuilder, Martial Artist, Action Actor, Producer, Director, Businessman, Weightlifting Coach & former Bodyguard. With a carnage filled filmography that spans over the past five decades of action cinema. Fighting on-screen around the globe from Hong Kong to Hollywood in movies shot in Canada, China, Korea, Kazakhstan, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Holland, New Guinea and the Philippines. One of action cinemas greatest bad guys, who is the only man to appear in the following three international box office hits. Starting with King Boxer (1972), quickly followed by Enter the Dragon released in (1973). Then later in the next decade, he appeared in the Martial Arts movie genre reviving Bloodsport released in (1988), all three of these movies were filmed on location in Hong Kong.

The powerful looking future Asian Bodybuilding champion, was born on the 7th of February (1946), in the year of the Dog according to the Chinese lunar calendar. He was brought up in Guangdong, a province of Guangzhou, which is a suburb of Canton in South China. A busy port city just northwest of Hong Kong and situated on  the massive pearl river, his parents where merchants. Future actor Yang Sze, is better known to international Action & Martial Art's movie fans as one of the most iconic Martial Arts & Action cinema bad guys Bolo Yeung. As a young boy he became interested in both Martial Arts & Boxing, Yang Sze also studied multiple Gung Fu styles under various teacher's and would become a big life-long devotee of Tai Chi. The now broad-shouldered athlete even studied the demanding & agile sport of gymnastics, during his early teenage years living in China.

- "While growing up, I happened to get an American bodybuilding magazine and dreamed of becoming a bodybuilder" - Yang Sze

Source: https://namu-wiki.translate.goog/w/양사?_x_tr_sl=ko&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc&_x_tr_hist=true

It was during these formative years, that the young Yang Sze would start another lifelong passion. When he developed a strong interest in Olympic weight-lifting, during his time training to be an athlete in mainland China in the late 1950's, to the late 1960's. He was also inspired by one of his real-life weightlifting heroes, the late record-breaking Chinese powerlifter Chen Jingkai (1925 - 2010). Who held an impressive 9 records in the world of weightlifting, in the bantamweight and featherweight divisions. Yang Sze's best deadlift was rumoured to be over 700lbs?. By his late teens Yang Sze rapidly began to take on the shape of a professional weightlifter, as his training became more and more intense. Helping him to develop the large gladiator like muscles, that would make people stop and stare.

- “I have always been a weight lifter rather than a bodybuilder”  - Yang Sze

Source: 1990's IMPACT Magazine Interview by Bey Logan.

- A teenage Yang Sze in the early 1960's, during his weightlifting days in mainland China.

Bolo-Yeung750.jpg

In the late 1960's he would make the long tough dangerous journey to Hong Kong in search of a better life, to avoid the famine & political troubles in early 1960's mainland China. At the time, communism was much more severe in China than it is now, and there was a strong backlash against Western civilization, so bodybuilding was considered a product of American capitalist ideology. The situation Yang Sze was in was not suitable for him to engage in bodybuilding/weightlifting activity, as he wanted to, and in the end, he He chooses to go to Hong Kong to escape communism. There has big been a long-standing wild urban/online myth that Yang Sze swam over 4rkm from China to Hong Kong, this was not actually the case. When Yang Sze has been asked this question in magazine interviews, he has dispelled this myth.

- “From when I was very young I loved physical training, including lifting weights & Martial Arts, my body responded very fast to exercise” Yang Sze

It was during his first year in Hong Kong, when his weightlifting interests would later turn into a passion for Bodybuilding. Spending several years of his life, competing in the highly competitive world of Asian Bodybuilding contests throughout the 1970's.  After earning a living as a personal trainer in the late 1960's, during his early years on the island. Yang Sze would later use his unique physique to make a living in the tough and fast-moving Hong Kong film business. Where his impressive looking physique helped him to stand out among the crowd & get movie roles. Playing mostly thugs and heavies in (17) Shaw Brothers productions between (1970) to (1972).

- Yang Sze competing in the 1970's at an  Asian bodybuilding show. Here he's performing an impressive front Lat spread.

Bolo-Yeung885.jpg

- Delivering the classic most muscular pose, to the critical Asian bodybuilding contest judges during the early 1970's.

Bolo-Yeung916.jpg

According to an interview Yang Sze did with Wayne Archer for Martial Art's Illustrated magazine. It was after Shaw Brothers employees had viewed Hong Kong T.V coverage of Yang Sze's first major Bodybuilding victory at the (1969) Mr Hong Kong contest. That the then world’s biggest movie studio offered him a multi-film contract. After winning his first Mr Hong Kong Bodybuilding title in 1969, it is said he would go onto win the yearly bodybuilding contest for a whole decade between (1969) to (1979)?. This Mr Hong Kong event is not to be mixed up with more recent TVB Mr Hong Kong, which is more of a beauty pageant held alongside the Miss Hong Kong event. One of his biggest victories on the competitive bodybuilding stage was being crowned the I.F.B.B Mr Asia in (1975). These are just some of Bolo's weightlifting & bodybuilding achievements.

- "He’s this great screen presence, and he can move, he’s a serious Tai Chi guy and was a real life bodyguard in the 70’s etc, and he can make so much work with just a few words, but I do think he made a great villain more often than as a hero." - Mike Leeder: Source - https://budomate.com/mike-leeder-interview/10/

He would go onto work with legendary Shaw Brothers director Chang Cheh and appeared alongside Shaw Brother's icons David Chiang & Ti Lung, in The Heroic One's (1970). Joining the same talented team for Deadly Duo (1971), Angry Guest (1972), Young People (1972), to name just a few of the eighteen Shaw Brothers productions Yang Sze appeared in between (1970) &  (1983). He also had a substantial/memorable henchman role in the impressive (1972) Chen Kuen-Tai movie Man of Iron directed by Pao Hsueh-Li & Chang Cheh. Not forgetting the iconic Walter Chang-Chung-Hwa directed King Boxer (1972) A.K.A Five Fingers of Death, that starred Lo Lieh. The first ever Martial Art movie to have global success at the box-office.

- "One of the biggest movies of the year (1970) as well as one of the director's biggest spectacles of his career was the enormous and expensive production of THE HEROIC ONES (1970). A very famous film in Asia, it's still remembered today. It's distinguished for several reasons one of them being the bloated budget of HK2.5million. Unheard of at the time, a gala exhibit showcasing the many props, costumes and even severed body parts and blood jelly used in the film were showcased. Not only that, but a documentary detailing the arduous production was also part of the show. In another bit of movie mogul magic, Shaw Brothers had a 'Heroic Ones' basketball game between the Shaws stable of stars involved in Cheh's picture and the camp at TVB several days before the film’s release."

- Note Yang Sze among the Basketball players on the far left of the bottom row in the image below, alongside actors Ti Lung & David Chiang during the HKTVB Charity Basketball match in (1970).

- Text/Image Source: http://www.coolasscinema.com/2011/07/cinema-of-excess-chang-cheh-his-films.html

Basketball.jpg

- The Heroic One's (1970) A Halberd wielding General Meng Chieh Hiu (Yang Sze), tries to pin down an evasive General Li Tsun-Hsiao (David Chiang).

Bolo-Yeung648.jpg

- The Heroic Ones (1970) German lobby card #23 (some sets were numbered) (Image uploaded by Oliver Sodemann).

Source: https://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=13138&display_set=eng

HeroicOnes.jpg

- Yang Sze Posing for a promotional picture for the (1972) Shaw Brothers production The Gourd Fairy, directed by Kuei Chih-Hung.

https://hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/5332/TheGourdFairy 1972-22-b.jpg

- "Amongst the top ten box office hits of 1972: “At the bottom of the top five was The 14 Amazons, a throwback to the glory days of Shaw Bros. This is an all-girl period epic, based on a classic folk tale, Women Warriors of the Yang Family, with Ivy Ling Po (star of Shaw's Lady General Mulan) in the lead. Lee went to see The 14 Amazons out of loyalty to Betty Ting Pei, who has a supporting role in the film. Bruce also took note of the burly Yeung Sze's Mongolian wrestler in the film. Lee would later give Yeung the role and name of his career as Bolo in Enter the Dragon.” - Shared online by Hai Tien on the Bruce Lee Lives Forum

Yang Sze would fulfil his contract with Shaw Brothers studios in mid (1972), and become a free agent for the first time, working for other independent studios in Hong Kong and elsewhere in Asia such as the Far East Motion Picture Co, Hong Kong Alpha Motion Picture Co, Million Film Co. Ltd, & Hong Hwa International Films (H.K) Ltd. When the late Bruce Lee turned down appearing on-screen in the Winston's Cigar commercial in late (1972). His Game of Death co-star, Karateka and former Mr Taiwan Chieh Yuen, informed him of a possible replacement. Yuen suggested that Bruce Lee & Winston's should contact his friend, co-star and then current Mr Hong Kong, Yang Sze. The Martial Arts superstar approached the young bodybuilder turned actor, and offered him the job. Shaw Brothers actor Cheng Lui joined Yang Sze as a supervisor for the Wintons’s advert, filmed at Golden Harvest studios in early December (1972). The brief 70-second advert was captured on the set of Bruce Lee's then fourth Hong Kong movie project Game of Death.

- "Bruce called up Bolo. "He said he was planning on doing a Winston cigarette commercial," Bolo says, the next day I went to Golden Harvest to film the commercial"

- "The plan was for Bruce Lee to film a three-minute Martial Arts demonstration, and have it paired with a three-minute weightlifting demonstration from Bolo Yeung" - Source: Bruce Lee A Life by Matthew Polly

- "Bruce did not film the TV ad as he initially intended to due to his busy schedule. There are 3 parts which were combined and merged into one. What TV viewers saw was the Bruce’s WOTD trailer being inserted into the TV advert."

Source: Link- https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/rare-winston-tv-ad-pic-t3788.html .

- Chieh Yuen (centre) and Cheng Lui (far right) along with Yang Sze. Who is standing with Bruce Lee's Olympic barbell set, on the original Game of Death set. Wearing a National Amateur Body-Builders' Association (N.A.B.B.A) weightlifting vest. The Winstons advert was filmed around the same time, Bruce Lee was filming the fourth pagoda set fight scene.

Bolo-Yeung375.png

- “I remember another incident that took place one evening, after filming G.O.D he had dinner with Raymond Chow, George Lazenby and called me to join in. Suddenly, he told me that he intended to set up a worker union for the HK stuntmen. This union not only could take care of their welfare but also it would be convenient for him to use these stuntmen in making movies. Yang Sze: Source – Chaplin Chang interview.

Mysteries still surround the possible casting of Yang Sze in further Bruce Lee projects such as  Game of Death and another un-realized Bruce Lee screen project Green Bamboo Warrior. That was going to be produced by Andrew G. Vajna. Yang Sze was even considered for a role in an American re-make of Way of The Dragon, also set to star James Bond actor  George Lazenby. Bruce Lee and Yang Sze became good friends and regular training partners in late (1972). This connection and his impressive physical look, would later help Yang Sze to land one of his most famous and iconic movie roles.

- "He drives a Mercedes (Bruce Lee) and can squat in the dusty place and play poker with the small workers; but in front of the big boss, he is sitting, but the boss is standing." - Yang Sze

- "The first time I really met Bruce (..) we were going to have lunch. His car pulled up and in the back seat were Bruce and the reigning Mr Hong Kong (Bolo Yeung), and in the front were Bruce's wife Linda and his secretary. Bruce said “Get in the car,” I say “But there’s no room”, so the secretary gets out, and I get in. I think she’s going to get into Raymond Chow’s car behind us, but she gets back in on my lap!. Then off we go (.. ) - George Lazenby

Source - https://www.onthetracksof007.com/the-hong-kong-connectio

- “On 2016-10-05, Asahi Shimbun reported that HK actor, Yangg Sze who was awarded the Asian Star in Tokyo International film festival, told the reporters that he and Bruce Lee were good friends. Although he was much bigger than Bruce in terms of body size but his Kung Fu was not as good as Bruce. Bolo said he had even lost to Bruce in arm-wrestling before. When Bolo was told that Jimmy Wang Yu once boasted to the Korean reporters in 2013 that he beat Bruce in arm-wrestling, Bolo immediately said that was bullshit because he had beaten Jimmy Wang Yu in arm-wrestling in just seconds. He continued that he once tried to arm-wrestle with Bruce but Bruce just pressed his muscular arm down just on the count of 3 which made Ynag Sze felt Bruce arm’s power was totally incredible. He was crowned Mr. Hong Kong in 1970, a body bodybuilding champion title. His weight at that time (1972) was 195 pounds while Bruce was only around 135. Bolo said he had arm-wrestled with many people from the HK entertainment circle (stars, stuntmen, martial artists etc.) and none could beat him including the boastful Kung Fu star, Jimmy Wang Yu. He admitted he beat Jimmy Wang Yu in less than 2 seconds many times. So, it was impossible for Jimmy Wang Yu to beat Bruce. Jimmy Wang Yu was just stepping on the dead to get some undeserved attention”.

After many years of hard dedicated training Yang Sze was crowned Mr. Hong Kong in 1970, a body bodybuilding champion title. His weight at that time (1972) was 195 pounds while Bruce was only around 135. Bolo said he had arm-wrestled with many people from the HK entertainment circle (stars, stuntmen, martial artists etc.) and none could beat him including the boastful Kung Fu star, Jimmy Wang Yu. He admitted he beat Jimmy Wang Yu in less than 2 seconds many times. So, it was impossible for Jimmy Wang Yu to beat Bruce. Jimmy Wang Yu was just stepping on the dead to get some undeserved attention.

Bolo-yeung1126.jpg

After appearing in the Black Guide, Kung Fu's Hero, The Thunder Kick, Killer in the Dark, Magnificent Boxer, Freedom Strikes a Blow, Tiger, Superior Youngster, & then Enter the Dragon. The latter which would be the 9th movie Yang Sze appeared in that year. The film which gave him one of the biggest breaks of his movie career up to that time. Bruce Lee personally cast him as Han's memorable menacing henchmen Bolo. In the highly successful Enter the Dragon (1973) directed by Robert Clouse, an international co-production between Bruce Lee, Raymond Chow's Concord film company and Warner Brother's studios in Hollywood.

- "This is my museum, it is difficult to associate these horrors with the proud civilizations who created them; Sparta, Rome, the knight of Europe, the Samurai, they worshipped strength, because it is strength that makes all values possible, nothing survives without it. Who knows - what delicate wonders have died out of the world, for the want of the strength to survive" - Han (Sek Kin) Enter the Dragon.

By the time of one of his most iconic and memorable performance in Enter the Dragon, Yang Sze had built himself up to bodyweight of 175lbs, spread across a 5ft'7 frame. It was filmed in Hong Kong between January (1973) & April (1973). Yang Sze would spend most of his time shooting his exterior scenes in February of (1973), tennis courts next to Tai Tam Bay. Then owned by a distance relative of Bruce Lee's, the famous Hong Kong attorney M.W. Lo.

Yang Sze – “There are plenty of times people will come up to me for an autograph, and tell me they loved my work on Enter the Dragon, but they just know me from the movie, they don’t really know who I am.”

Source:  Black Belt Magazine Interview

- "Another time Yeung, aka [Bolo] went to see Bruce at Golden Harvest Studios. Bruce was screening a Cassius Clay [Muhammad Ali] documentary. Ali was world heavyweight champion at the time and Bruce saw him as the greatest fighter of them all. The documentary showed Ali in several of his fights. Bruce set up a wide full-length mirror to reflect Ali’s image from the screen. Bruce was looking into the mirror, moving along with Ali. Bruce’s right hand followed Ali’s right hand, Ali’s left foot followed Bruce’s left foot. Bruce was fighting in Ali’s shoes. “Everybody says I must fight Ali some day.” Bruce said, “I’m studying every move he makes. I’m getting to know how he thinks and moves.” Bruce knew he could never win a fight against Ali. “Look at my hand,” he said. “That’s a little Chinese hand. He’d kill me." Source - Bruce Lee: A Life by Mattew Polly

- Yang Sze, Yuen Wah, & Jim Kelly in an un-used scene from Enter the Dragon (1973)?.

https://www.36styles.com/kungfufandom/uploads/monthly_2022_09/Bolo-Yeung622.jpg.36af485cbb7580cbd54a503a8fbebd09.jpg

- Bey Logan: "One of your scenes was cut from Enter the Dragon, a little bit of business where you beat one of Hans servants to death, after he drops some luggage. Do you remember that scene?"

- Bolo Yeung: "No, I don’t remember, there were some bits and pieces shot for Enter the Dragon that were cut, but, I’m sorry, it’s been so long! I can’t remember."

Source:  IMPACT Magazine Interview August (1992).

- "What I can tell you is I was one of Bruce's most serious students and training partners during his final days I saw first-hand what he was trying to accomplish" - Yang Sze

Source: Inside Kung Fu magazine Interview September (1991).

- Bruce Lee, Yang Sze, Director Robert Clouse and American actor John Saxon, on the set of Enter the Dragon (1973).

Bolo-Yeung876.jpg

Fiaz Rafiq - "Can we talk about the fight choreography pertaining to your fight with Bolo Yeung?"

John Saxon - "Once Bolo knocks me down and puts a scissor grip on my neck with his leg, Bruce said, "Bite him! Bite Him!" It was acting, it wasn't real but that was a thing which Bruce introduced. Also, he had somebody doing things that I couldn't do, in some cases doing things he couldn’t do, like that kick where he jumps over acrobat overhead; he didn’t do that, it was done by a Chinese stuntman who was an acrobat. The same guy did the thing when I get back up with a backflip in the fight with Bolo" Source: Bruce Lee Conversations Book written by Fiaz Rafiq.

Bolo-Yeung273.jpg

- "The muscular actor who played "Bolo" was Yeung Sze, who was present on several occasions when Bruce Lee worked on his concentration. One of his favourite memories is of walking on Bruce while the star was preparing for a fight with heavy weight boxing champion Muhammed Ali" Source: The Making of Enter the Dragon by Robert Clouse Book (1987).

- A young Yang Sze & Bruce Lee talk Martial Art's on the set of Enter the Dragon.

bolo-yeung152.jpg

"The movie Enter the Dragon (1973) influenced the famous video game Mortal Kombat (1992), and, by extension, this movie adaptation. Many scenes in the first Mortal Kombat (1995) movie are almost identical to Enter the Dragon. For example, the similarity of Bolo and Goro characters, the fight scene with the Roper/Johnny Cage character and even the finale of this fight are almost the same. Other similarities include the characters of Bruce and Liu Kang, who wants to join the tournament to avenge his brother's death. The resemblance between villain Han and Shang Tsung is also striking. In both films, fighters from various parts of the world come to a secret place for the tournament." Source- https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0113855/trivia/?ref_=tt_ql_trv

Due to Yang Sze's connection with Enter the Dragon & the films massive international success. One quick thinking U.S movie distributor National General Pictures picked up the Hong Kong production - Freedom Strikes Blow A.K.A A Duel of Harbour, The Kid in Pier. This Hong Kong production was actually released theatrically before Enter the Dragon. Making its Hong Kong cinema debut on the 1st of March (1973). Starring Martial Arts movie stars Chan Wai-Man, Chiang Feng, Fong, Yang Sze, along with a minor role from Yang Sze's regular co-star Chiang Tao among others.

The American company decided to re-title the Hong Kong movie Chinese Hercules, giving Yang Sze one of his longstanding nicknames among movie fans. The U.S advertising campaign was heavily using Yang Sze's name/image in the movie’s promotional trailers, T.V spots and cinema posters. It was first released in America on the 2nd of January (1974). A young Jackie Chan also served as the movies fight choreographer and also worked as a stuntman/extra. The future Hong Kong action star staged the epic final showdown between, Chan Wai-Man's stoic hero and Yang Sze's insane unstoppable killer for hire Chiang Tai.

- U.S Theatrical poster for Freedom Strikes A Blow - (1973).

Bolo-Yeung505.jpg

- “Sometime after Enter the Dragon wrapped, Yang Sze received a call from Golden Harvest boss Leonard Ho. Ho had Bolo meet him that afternoon at Kowloon's Hyatt Hotel. Leonard Ho told him Bruce Lee had suggested that the studio offer Bolo a lead role. Though appreciative, Bolo replied that he wasn't yet ready for the responsibility of carrying a film by himself.” - Posted/shared by Hai Tien over The Bruce Lee Lives Forum. Link- https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/bey-s-blog-with-bolo-now-60-years-old-t1679.html

- Legitimate Martial Artist turned action actor Larry Lee Gam-Kwan. Faces a manic nunchaku wielding Yang Sze in his strongman singlet. On-screen in the (1974) Chan Tung-Man directed Taiwanese Martial Art film, The Bodyguard with fight choreography by Lau Kar-Wing. Note the nunchaku are just like the ones Bruce Lee's character uses in Game of Death, with a cord instead of a chain-link, with two stripes on the end of each club. Larry Lee was also a Karate instructor to the Hong Kong Police in the 1970's. Bolo also made a cameo appearance in Larry Lee's debut movie The Thunder Kick (1973), one of the last three films produced by the Far East Motion Picture Company based in Hong Kong.

Bolo-Yeung263.jpg

In (1974) the ever-growing bodybuilder turned movie star travelled to Japan, to appear alongside Martial Artist & actor Tadashi Yamashita. In the fast-paced action packed British/Japanese co-production, Za Karate 2 directed by Yukio Noda. The second in a trilogy of movies, Master Tadashi Yamashita appeared in for Toei Studios in the mid-70's. Here Yang Sze played the aptly named super strong villain with a pasty face and Mr Universe arms Dracula Jack. His character appears in the movie, wearing a Karate Gi uniform, complete with a British Union Jack flag emblazoned on both the front and back of his top.

- Movie poster for the action packed Japanese Martial Arts movie sequel, Za Karate 2 (1974), Directed by Yukio Noda.

Bolo-Yeung1073.jpg

Bolo-Yeung1131.jpg

Between (1974) & (1989), the Beast from the East would make the first in an extensive number of Japanese Film & T.V appearances, after appearing in the previously mentioned Za Karate 2, where he also worked behind the scenes. This was quickly followed by two appearances in the highly popular (1974) Toei produced T.V series Fight! Dragon. Later edited into a feature length movie for its international release in (1975), under the title Fighting Dragon. It was also re-released in U.S cinemas in (1982), under the new title Fighting Dragon VS Deadly Tiger. This T.V show was filmed in Japan, Hong Kong, Macau & the Philippines. The two talented stars of the series were Yasuaki Kurata (Black Panther, Legend of A Fighter) & Bruce Leung Siu-Lung (Invincible Kung Fu, The Fists the Kicks the Evils). It was in (1974) that Yang Sze would become a father for the first time, when his wife gave birth to their first child David Yeung on the 3rd of July.

It was fellow Actor, Martial Artist & friend Yasuaki Kurata, who helped to get Bolo Yeung cast in the first two episodes of the short-lived Japanese T.V show Fight! Dragon. This show premiered on Tokyo Channel 12 on the 4th of July (1974), and ran for just twenty-six action packed episodes until the 24th of Dcember (1974). After each ending, a message board was displayed saying "Karate require proper practice, never try to use Karate by intimidating others".

- Yang Sze with Yasuaki Kurata in a scene from Japanese T.V series Fight! Dragon (1974). This poster is from the re-issued theatrical version also known as Fighting Dragon/Call Me Dragon.

Bolo-Yeung433.jpg

Yasuaki Kurata would also help the former Mr Hong Kong land recurring roles in the long running popular prime time Japanese crime/drama series - G-Men '75. Having a showdown with fellow Hong Kong actor, Martial Artist and Bodybuilder Lee Hoi-Sang, in one episode from the late 70's.This Toei produced show ran for seven years with Yang Sze acting in (18) of the (355) episodes. Shown in 55-minute instalments on Japanese T.V between 24th of May (1975) to April 3rd (1982). Bolo made his debut in this series in (1977), in episode (126)  titled Hitman in the South China Sea - Directed by Ryuichi Takamori. Bolo would sometimes serve as a location manager, for many of the episodes in whcih he appeared, only for the episodes that were filmed in and around Hong Kong during the late 1970's.

- "According to the testimony of scriptwriter Susumu Takaku , who wrote the proposal, this work was planned to fill the remaining contract period with TBS (19 episodes from May to September 1975) after the end of ``Birdie Daisakusen.'' Takahisa took advantage of the short period of completion and wrote a proposal and script in the style of Frederick Forsyth, who he loved reading at the time . The program became so popular that it was decided to extend it."

- "Speaking of Bolo, I mentioned earlier I had only ever been killed on-screen once, he was the culprit! It was for a Japanese T.V show called G-Men '75, I was playing a C.I.A Agent and I was lured into a trap where Bolo & I fought" - Randy Channell Soie: Source - http://clonesofbrucelee.info/randy-channell-soei/

- Actors Yasuaki Kurata with Yang Sze during just one of his many appearances on the G-Men '75 T.V series.

Bolo-Yeung479.jpg

- "The scene where you fight against your nemesis, Yang Soo Ae (Yang Sze), was also a highlight."

- "He was willing to take on a variety of roles, even though he died every time. I think that through this drama, I was able to make people understand the fun of Hong Kong Kung Fu."

Source: Interview with Japanese Dragon Yasuaki Kurata by Risa Narahashi Link - https://www-hkpost-com

- Yang Sze makes a guest appearance in the Japanese T.V Series Code Name 108 Shichi Nin no Ribu a short-lived show that ran for just thirteen episodes & was produced by TBS (Japan) in (1976). It aired on Kansai Television Tuesdays from 22:00 to 22:54 from October 5, (1976) to December 28, (1976). A T.V Drama that ran for just 13 episodes. The show had been planned for two seasons, spread over a six-month period on T.V, but due to the low rating it received the series was axed. Yang Sze, flew to Thailand just to film his fight scene, and the rest of his special guest appearance in this show.

Bolo-Yeung1780.jpg.b06d12f7818037bc8cc7522b9e6335df.jpg

Bolo-Yeung1781.jpg

Yang Sze also acted alongside other Japanese action icons including, Shiomo Etsuko, Sonny Chiba, & reunited with the star of Za Karate 2 (1974) Tadashi Yamashita. In the Chan Tung-Man & Noda Yukio co-directed action-packed cult classic Soul of Chiba a.k.a Soul of Bruce Lee, released in Japanese cinemas by Toei on February 2nd (1977). This entire Japanese/Thai/British/Hong Kong film took two months to shoot, on location in Bangkok, including  location shooting at the Chao Phraya River, Saen Saep Canal, American writer Jim Thompsons house, & the River Kwai and Pattaya in Thailand.

- "A story depicting the exploits of a martial artist who seeks revenge for his master . Shinichi Chiba who was involved in the project , Hong Kong 's Yang Sue (Yang Sze) was in charge of the original idea , and the work has a fighting motif . [2] The scene in which the main character, played by Chiba, fights multiple Muay Thai fighters and assassins wielding monkey fists, actually uses punching and kicking techniques to the body, and was filmed in one cut while switching from normal speed to high speed. [3] . It was also used in the previous year's movie `` Children's Murder Fist '', and because there were no computer graphics at the time , this technique was used to create a believable and terrifying fighting scene." Note: Yang Sze's idea was later turned in a movie script by Japanese screen writer Norio Negata.

Source - https://ja-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/激殺!_邪道拳?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Bolo-Yeung711.jpg

Later after the huge success of the Enter the Dragon at the international box-office, the ever-growing Yang Sze later changed his screen name to Bolo Yeung. The first and only time an actor’s name has been inspired by an on-screen role they played?. Bolo worked with so many of Hong Kong's finest Martial Arts stars during the genre’s peak years in the 1970's. Working with his friend and fellow weightlifter and Martial Artist Chiu Chi-Ling in Bruce Lee in New Guinea (1978). Sammo Hung & Carter Wong during the making of Hong Kong Superman (1975), Phillip Ko-Fei, Bruce Leung Siu-Lung & Ku Feng - Fists The Kicks and the Evils (1979), Angela Mao, George Lazenby & Jimmy Wang Yu - A Queen's Ransom (1976), Chan Sing, Tan Tao Liang, Jim Kelly - The Tattoo Connection (1978), Yuen Biao (Extra) - Superior Youngster (1974), Chan Wai-Man, Fong Yau Chinese Hercules (1973) Larry Lee - The Thunder Kick (1973), Hwang Jang-Lee in 36 Deadly Styles (1978), Chiang Chen - Invincible Kung Fu (1979), to name a just a small handful of the films and people Yang Sze has worked with during his long career.

- "He was the biggest guy in Hong Kong at that time. Later, he got into movies. I hear he's making all these films in America. It's amazing! Most of the films he made here, he only had a very small role. Just the heavy!" - Michael Chan Wai-Man Source: Bey Logan/Chan Wai-Man interview from the Bruce Lee Lives Forum.

- Bolo Yeung fights fellow cast member Chan Wai-Man in a scene from cult Bruceploitation movie Bruces Deadly Finger's - (1976), starring Lo Lieh, Huang Kin-Lung, & Cheung Nik.

Bolo1.jpg

Chiang Tao, Fong Yau, Huang Kin-Lung, & Frankie Chan Fan-Kei are four Martial Arts actors who might share the honour of appearing alongside Bolo Yeung the most?. The former weightlifter would also go on to appear in countless other Hong Kong/Korean/Taiwanese/Filipino/Japanese productions right up to until the early-1980's. Usually playing a cold-hearted Mr Universe styled villain, who helped to get many screen heroes over with audiences. Bolo would also become heavily connected to the wild Bruceploitation movie sub-genre, that sprang up in the early 70's.

Here is just a tiny handful of the Bruceploitation films the former Mr Hong Kong has shown up in. Appearing alongside the sub-genres three biggest stars, Ho Chung-Tao (Bruce Li) in - Storming Attack's (1978), Bruce Lee in New Guinea ((1978) & Bruce Lee the Invincible (1979). Sharing the big screen with Huang Kin-Lung (Bruce Le) in - Enter the Game of Death (1978), Bruce the Super Hero (1978), Bruce's Greatest Revenge (1979) among many more. Bolo also co-starred with Korean Martial Artist and fellow bodybuilder Dragon Lee in - The Dragon on Fire (1978), The Clones of Bruce Lee, Dragon: Bruce Lee Part 2 (1981). Hong Kong film historian and author Ric Meyer's, told Bruce Lee collector Charles Damiano at the Urban Action Showcase (2024), that Bolo's unorthodox no look style of screen fighting. Was actually inspired by his passion for Tai Chi?.

- Bey Logan: "The fans in England always talks about your 'Not Look' style, where you hit the opponent without watching him. How did you create that on-screen style?"

- Bolo Yeung: "I just wanted to invent a style that looked different from what other people did" - Source: Impact Magazine Interview (August 1992)

- The Bird Cage Assassin played by Bolo Yeung fights San Kuai's Old Master, in a scene from Ten Magnificent Killers (1977) directed by Fong Yau.

Bolo-Yeung1111.jpg

- Duel to death, Huang Kin-Lung (Bruce Le) fights Bolo Yeung on-screen, in a scene from the opening scenes of the (1978) Bruceploitation classic Enter The Game of Death. A Hong Kong produced movie directed by Lam Kwok-Cheung & Choe Woo-Hyung, and filmed in South Korea.

bolo-yeung31.jpg

- Chiang Tao (left) Jim Kelly (centre) &  Bolo Yeung duke it out in a scene from The Tattoo Connection (1978) directed by Lee Tso-Nam.

Bolo-Yeung388.jpg

- Hon Kwon-Choi (Chow) far left & To (Bruce Leung Siu-Lung), fight with Master Kao (Bolo Yeung) in Invincible Kung Fu (1979), directed by To Man-Bo.

bolo-yeung159.jpg

During the late 70's Bolo would direct & stage the fight choreography for two very contrasting productions of his own, Writing Kung Fu & the Kung Fu comedy Bolo both released in (1979). The zany self-titled Kung Fu comedy Bolo, where he co-starred alongside Actor and Martial Artist Jason Pai Paio. Bolo & Paio also shared action director duties on this very quirky comedy Kung Fu production. The pair who had previously worked on the movie set of the Lam Kwok-Cheung directed crime flick Mr Big (1978).

Bolo Yeung’s directorial debut Writing Kung Fu (1979), was a much darker, brooding movie that took itself a lot more seriously. That despite some of its brief comedy, was a stark contrast to the many Kung Fu comedies that were popular with audiences at the time. Co-starring with long-time friends Chiang Cheng (The Fists the Kicks the Evils) & John Cheung who played a thug in Freedom Strikes a Blow A.K.A Chinese Hercules. The pair would work together again in the Jackie Chan inspired film Little Master (1979) a.k.a Fearless Hyena 3, and later on the set of the Jean-Claude Van Damme classic Double Impact (1991).

- "My little brother, Johnny Cheung, is in this movie with me and Bolo. He was also an action choreographer for Jackie Chan and was a stunt double doing dangerous scenes for Jackie and other actors. The action design in WRITING KUNG FU was done by me, my brother, and Bolo, who also directed the movie" - John Cheung

Source - https://www.martialartsentertainment.com/john-cheung/

bolo-yeung52.jpg

bolo-yeung116.jpg

- Bolo Yeung poses at the gym with his friend, training partner & sometimes stunt double & Martial Artist/Bodybuilder/Actor Lee Chun-Wa (Drunken Master) during the 1970's.

https://www.36styles.com/kungfufandom/uploads/monthly_2021_12/Bolo-Yeung846.jpg.a38c597cf2bbbef5e1eb5090b7a26658.jpg

Bolo1.jpg

At the start of the next decade Bolo Yeung would make some of his last old school period Kung Fu & Bruceploitation movie appearances. Kicking off in the early 1980's with a role in the fast paced and underrated Taiwanese production Master Killers (1980). Starring Casanova Wong, Phillip Ko-Fei and directed by Wang Hung-Chang (The Boxer from Kwongtung). With the highly kinetic and intricate fight choreography staged by team of Blacky Ko Shou-Liang, Phillip Ko Fei, Jacky Chen Shao-Lung & Max Lee Chiu-Chun. One of Bolo's training partner Lee Chun-Wa also worked on the production as his stunt double for some scenes.

The V-Shaped actor with the Mr Universe arms, would reunite with his 36 Deadly Styles co-star and Martial Arts Master Hwang Jang-Lee. This would be the one and only time the villainous pair had an onscreen fight. In the Huang Kin-Lung (Bruce Le) directed Challenge of The Tiger (1980) shot in Hong Kong, co-starring Richard Harrison, Chiang Tao & also featuring American bodybuilder and stuntman late Brad Harris. The last period role Bolo had, was in the Fist of Fury inspired Hong Kong Bruceploitation movie, filmed on location in South Korea featuring Dragon Lee - The Big Boss Part 2 (1981) directed by To Man-Bo & Lee Eun (Fists, Kicks, & The Evils). He also made his final appearances the original G-Men '75 series, in a two-part special title Mighty Peking Man Part 1 & 2 (1981).

- Bolo Yeung faces Huang Kin-Lung a.ka. Bruce Le, during his guest appearance in Bruce King of Kung Fu (1980). They appeared in ten movies together, with the Burmese born Martial Arts star fighting him over five different times on-screen.

https://www.36styles.com/kungfufandom/uploads/monthly_2017_01/YBL120.thumb.jpg.92d88d0d77ca97cde711a3b84a0405fe.jpg              

- Bolo Yeung - “if you don’t prepare too much. In film, if you can’t just do it when they say ’Action!’, you’re in the wrong business”.

Due to his huge popularity with Japanese T.V audiences, in (1982) Bolo was also invited to come back to appear in three more T.V roles by Yasuaki Kurata. In the revived 1980's follow up version of the popular 1970's Japanese T.V series G-Men '75, under the new title G-Men '82. Which ran on Japanese/Asian T.V between the 3rd October (1982) to 13th of March (1983). Despite the success of the first screen version, this up-dated show only ran for just 19 episodes. His last appearance in the show was in episode 14 - Hong Kong Woman's Deadly Fist (1983) directed Kazuo Shimomurin. Which would re-unite him with his Man of Iron (1972) co-star Chen Kuan-Tai.

- "The offer was made at the invitation of Kurata, an old friend of his. He didn't understand Japanese at all, and during filming he followed Kurata, who also served as an interpreter. The Hong Kong location went smoothly thanks to Sue's arrangements, and the G-Men staff was keenly aware of Sue's ability there. When he appeared on TBS's " Quiz Derby " (1982) as a betting partner with Kurata for the purpose of advertising , host Kyosen Ohashi asked him to introduce him, "Who is the person next to you?" Kurata answered, "He's from Hong Kong."

- "Quiz Derby ) was aired on the TBS network ( excluding TV Yamaguchi ) for 17 years from January 3 , 1976 to December 19 , 1992 . It is a quiz and game show that was broadcast every Saturday from 19:30 to 20:00 & presented by Japanese sports commentator Kyosen Ohashi"

- Source - https://ja-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/ヤン・スエ?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

As the Bruceploitation sub-genre was entering its twilight years, Bolo made his last two appearances in this genre in (1982). Appearing alongside regular co-star and on-screen foe Huang Kin-Lung, & Korean super kicker co-star Hwang Jang-Lee and American bodybuilder Brad Harriss in Challenge of the Tiger (1980). Two years later Bolo would star with  Casanova Wong (Master Killers), along with fellow weightlifter and former Japanese pro-wrestler Harold Sakata, who played Odd Job in the (1964) James Bond film Goldfinger. When Bolo  appeared in the cult Bruceploitation classic Bruce Strikes Back (1982). Quickly followed by a role in The Super Gang (1982) again starring Huang Kin-Lun, and directed by Wong Siu-Jung.

- Bolo Yeung in his Bruceploitation swansong with fellow weightlifter Harold Sakata. Playing his on-screen student in a scene from Bruce Strikes Back (1982).

Bolo-Yeung1232.jpg

- A scene from G-Men '82 Episode 11 - How! Hong Kong Shaolin Temple Part 2, (1983) Directed by Kazuo Shimomura.

Bolo-Yeung1107.jpg

In (1983) he would return to the first Hong Kong studio that helped to establish him as an action actor. When Bolo appeared for one last time in the Shaw Brothers produced movie, when he appeared in the  super natural horror/martial arts mash-up The Boxers Omen, directed by Kuie Chih-Hung starring Phillip Ko-Fie, Elvis Tsui Kam-Kong, Wai Ka Man & Johnny Wang Lung-WeiBolo Yeung would spend most of the rest of his 1980's movie career, making short cameos in family friendly Hong Kong action comedies. Such as All the Wrong Clues (1981) directed by Tsui Hark, Silent Romance (1984) directed by composer Frankie Chan Ko-Fei & My Lucky Stars (1985), The Millionaires Express (1986) which were both directed by Sammo Hung. Later n (1985) he appeared in The Millionaires Express, Bolo also cast alongside Bruce Lee's only son the late Brandon Lee in the Ronny Yu directed, D & B Films Co. Ltd produced Legacy of Rage. With fight choreography by the late Mang Hoi, who also co-starred in the movie.

- "I know what is good for me as an actor. Because of the way I look, that is what I am going to be a success in. I know my place in movies; no matter how good an actor is, if he doesn't know his place in the movies he will never be successful." - Bolo Yeung

- Bolo Yeung makes a short cameo role in the Ronny Yu directed Legacy of Rage, starring Bruce Lee's son Brandon Lee - The Crow (1993). In his one and only Hong Kong movie appearance.

BrandonBolo.jpg

-  “A blood sport or bloodsport is a category of sport or entertainment that involves bloodshed.[1] Common examples of the former include combat sports such as cockfighting and dog fighting, and some forms of hunting and fishing. Activities characterized as blood sports, but involving only human participants, include the ancient Roman gladiatorial games. The term was popularised by author Henry Stephens Salt. Later, the term seems to have been applied to various kinds of baiting and forced combat: bull-baiting, bear-baiting, cockfighting, and later developments such as dog fighting and rat-baiting. The animals were specially bred for fighting. According to Tanner Carson, the earliest use of the term is in reference to mounted hunting, where the quarry would be actively chased, as in fox hunting or hare coursing.” :Source - Wikipedia.

The powerful yet agile moving action actor would then land a large career changing role in (1986). Opposite Belgium born Martial Artist/Bodybuilder and business man turned actor Jean-Claude Van Damme. When he played the crazed-lead villain and long running Kumite champion Chong Li. In the mixed Martial Arts classic and international box-office smash-hit Bloodsport, later released in (1988), produced by cult movie studio Cannon Pictures. It was also director Newt Arnolds final movie, he was an assistant director and actor, known for Blade Runner (1982) & The Godfather Part 2 (1974).

Filmed in and around Hong Kong in late 1986, locations including the famous now demolished and once densely populated Kowloon Walled City. Van Damme mentioned in a recent YouTube interview about the making of the movie. That Bolo gave him some advice on how to properly train your chest and triceps among other things. Apart from training together they also spent time off set in the local Chinese restaurants with family and friends. Note: The account this interview was posted in, has since been removed from YouTube.

- "I was around 12 years old at the time of “Bloodsport”, I saw how they filmed those movies as I was there on set.  I first met JCVD when they did the kumite scene, my dad took me to the studio so I saw the training for it.  It was such a good experience and after shooting finished Jean-Claude invited my family to dinner with him.  That’s how I got to know him a little more. Most of the time he was talking about movies, he’s a very active and energetic person.  I was new to bodybuilding around that time and I remember watching him work out, (he had an Olympic bar and dumbbells in his room) whilst talking with my father." - David Yeung Source: https://kungfukingdom.com/interview-david-yeung/

- Incoming, Frank Dux (Jean-Claude Van Damme) displays his kicking skills in the finale of Bloodsport.

bolo-yeung261.jpg

Despite now being in his forties Bolo joined the production in great shape, along with an extensive cast of talented Martial Artist from many different nations. Co-written by long term Jean-Claude Van Damme collaborator Sheldon Lettich (Rambo 3, Double Impact, Max, A.W.O.L). Bolo & Van Damme formed a quick friendship on the Bloodsport set, one that still lasts to this day. It was Bloodsport that would help bring Bolo back to the attention of audiences and film fans from around the world. Along with revitalizing the Martial Arts genre in the West during late 1980's, the film also played a big role in cementing the career of Jean-Claude Van Damme. While this production was filmed in (1986), it wouldn’t get any kind of theatrical release until its American premiere in (1988). Due to the production undergoing re-edits coupled with Cannons lack of faith in the first cut.

- "Bloodsport is one of only a handful of films ever shot inside Hong Kong's infamous Kowloon Walled City, which was demolished in 1994. Originally, Kowloon was a military outpost dating back almost 800 years to the Song Dynasty, but it later became a lawless locale ruled by Chinese triads. Despite all the crime, the Kowloon Walled City was also a wellspring for benevolent people and peaceful human rights groups, creating a bizarre balance."

- "Bloodsport would reunite (off-camera, anyways) actors Roy Chiao and Bolo Yeung, both of whom starred in the Bruce Lee classic Enter The Dragon. Ironically, both actors are playing the same roles as they did in that film, which Chiao serving as a sensei/master to Bruce Lee and Van Damme's characters, and Yeung serving as a villain." Source - https://screenrant.com/bloodsport-movie-trivia/#it-was-filmed-in-kowloon

- Bolo Yeung in character as Chong Li in a scene from the classic Martial Arts movie Bloodsport (1988).

1a4ddc2c07a2178ef69d26bfd558499e.jpg

- Gym time, Jean-Claude Van-Damme & Bolo Yeung pose for the camera between reps.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/0c/39/710c399ff5cc5cc5e8e862d90a4bcc70.jpg

- "Bloodsport is the single most important martial arts movie since "Enter the Dragon". It revitalized a martial arts movie industry that had long since grown stale. Prior to it, Chuck Norris had ruled for a decade with his karate action, but it was frequently being incorporated into a military context with films like the Missing in Action series or Delta Force. They were good films but didn't have the Chinese mystique that Bloodsport had. Bloodsport made no apologies for being a martial arts movie and gave the audience exactly what they wanted." - Stephen Maunder

- Wayne Archer: "How did your role in Bloodsport come about?."

- Bolo Yeung: "A friend contacted me. He told me that the American film company Cannon pictures, wanted me for this film. The pay for American films, is so much better than Hong Kong films."

Source: Martial Art Illustrated Magazine (1990).

- The kumite final, reigning champion Chong Li (Bolo Yeung) vs Frank Dux (Jean-Claude Van Damme) in Bloodsport (1988).

bolo-yeung142.jpg

- (Video): Martial Artist and action cinema star Scott Adkins talks to Martial Artist, Boxer & actor Mohammed Qissi about the making of Bloodsport.

- Bolo with Bloodsport director the late Newt Arnold, on the set of Bloodsport in Hong Kong (1986).

bolo-yeung92.jpg

In (1987) Bolo was offered a cameo role as a pit fighter, in the violent drama Killer's Nocturne, directed by Lam Nai-Choi with fight scenes staged by Chris Lee Kin-Sang. Along with further cameos in  in Your My Destiny, & To Err is Humane also released in (1987). In (1989) the an even more formidable looking former Weightlifter & Mr Hong Kong was cast in Bloodfight (1989), as yet another unstoppable fighter, the mountain of muscle Chong Lee. Complete with a cobra tattooed on his forehead, in yet another unhinged movie that was character inspired by his role as Chong Li in Bloodsport (1988), Chong Lee could be considered as Chong Li's even more slightly crazed older screen brother. It would also re-unite Bolo with his former Fighting Dragon/G-Men '75 co-star Martial Arts Master Yasuaki Kurata, who also co-produced the picture with Tokuno Hiroaki. This pacy Japanese/Hong Kong co-production, was co-scripted by Sawaguchi Yoshikia, Yasuaki Kurata and Bolo Yeung. It was released in Japan under the alternative title of The Final Fight.

- "Kurata truly made this an international film. Casting includes Hong Kong stars Bolo Yeung, Meg Lam, and Simon Yam; Filipina-American actress Cristina Lawson; American-born Hong Kong actor John Ladalski and Australian-born Hong Kong actor Stuart Smith. What is even more outstanding is that the entire cast speaks English in the film. We are not talking about dubbed English like the old kung fu films of yore. Rather, they speak English themselves and done well." Source- https://worldfilmgeek.com/2018/03/23/bloodfight-1989/ .

This production also starred actors Simon Yam, Meg Lam Kin-Ming, Ono Shinya, and Christina Lawson. This Japanese/Hong Kong produced movie was filmed entirely in Hong Kong, & was actually recorded in English unlike other Asian action films of the same era. It was directed by Goto Shuji with a soundtrack by Oguchi Yuji. Plot: "A Master martial artist Masahiro Kai (Yasuaka Kurata) is now a shadow of fearless champion fighter and dedicated trainer he once was. After his protégé Ryu Tenmie (Simon Yam) is slain in a no-holds-barred illegal fight with the edgy, heavily tattooed & unbeatable Chong Lee. He stumbles into a numbing alcohol-induced stupor to try to forget his violent past. Until he finds the spirit to fight back and get revenge for his fallen student."

- V5: This is amazing, John. You've met or worked with virtually everybody in martial arts films.
- John Ladalski: Pretty much every martial artist in modern times so to speak. I also did some work on a Japanese TV series shot in Hong Kong called G-MEN '75 (1975-1982) with Yasuaki Kurata. I later worked with Kurata and Bolo on BLOODFIGHT in 1989. Source- http://www.coolasscinema.com/2015/12/cool-ass-cinema-presents-interview-with.html

- Chong Lee (Bolo Yeung) takes to the air in a scene from the action packed Bloodfight (1989).

https://www.imago-images.com/bild/st/0098871650/s.jpg

- Bey Logan: "I believe you were supposed to have a been in Kickboxer (1989), but you couldn’t because you wre making Bloodfight at the time. What role would you have played in Kickboxer?."

- Bolo Yeung: "It would have been a small action role; I think I would have been one of the Thai Boxers who fights Van Damme or Tong Po" :Source - Impact Movie magazine interview conducted by Bey Logan.

Bolo-Yeung1119.jpg

Following the huge career reviving success of international box-office hit Bloodsport (1988), Bolo made his first trip to America in late (1989). Later he and his family would make the long move to California, on the West Coast of America in (1990). With the help of close family friend and fellow bodybuilder Flex Wheeler. The powerful, agile and muscular star would continue to play both villains and mostly heroes, in U.S & Asian productions during the early to mid-90's. In (1990) Bolo would make his last official Asian movie appearance in Mega Force from Highland (1990) directed by Yu Chik-Lim, in a rare good guy role as a wondering swordsman. His last two un-official Asian screen roles were in two 90's cut & splice productions. Some of the Bolo footage from Mega Force from Highland (1990), would be re-used for the (1992) re-edit Megaforce from Highland. A similar trick would be pulled with Fist of Legend 2: Iron Bodyguards (1996) Directed by Robert Tai Chi-Hsien & Chan Tung-Man, which re-used a fight scene featuring Bolo, from the (1974) Larry Lee movie The Bodyguard directed by Chan Tung-Man. 

The second American movie The Beast from the East appeared in was the independent feature Breathing Fire (1991) A.K.A Kung Fu Cops. Starring Kickboxing Legend turned actor Jerry Trimble (Heat, Stranglehold)) & Ke Huy Quan (Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom, Goonies). It's a tongue in cheek re-make of the Hong Kong movie Shaolin Deadly Kicks (1977), filmed in Taiwan in. Written and directed by Hong Kong Martial Artist turned actor and star of the original movie Tan Tao Liang. Who also produced this up-dated American version, and personally approached Bolo to appear in the re-make. Which was directed by Lou Kennedy and co- starred Brandon Pender & Brandon De-Wilde.

- HKCinemagic : "In Breathing Fire, you had the occasion to work with 2 other personalities linked to HK cinema, Bolo Yeung (famous for his participation in Enter the Dragon and some Jean-Claude Van Damme's movies as Bloodsport) and Jonathan Ke Quan (currently working in Yuen Woo Ping's team). What were your impressions on them?"

- Jerry Trimble : "I became friends with both Bolo and Jonathan. They were exceptional to work with. Bolo was a very funny guy. Jonathan was like a little brother. Very talented guys"

Source - http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/page.asp?aid=250&page=7

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNzEwYTA4ZjktODBlYy00OTA4LTg4YTYtNDQ3ZGI1MDE2NTI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjAxMjEzNzU@._V1_.jpg

Bolo played the powerful cold hearted crazy scar faced killer named, Moon in the Sheldon Lettich Directed/scripted action classic Double Impact (1991). Starring Jean-Claude Van Damme in dual roles, the movie also featured another bodybuilder and former Ms Olympia (1984) - (1989) Corinna Everson playing the villain Kara. Sheldon Lettich (Rambo 3, Max) helped to create another of Bolo's most memorable screen roles, when he created the crazed super strong Moon character. Double Impact was filmed in both Hong Kong & California, where most of the interior shoots took place. Some scenes were also filmed at the legendary Shaw Brothers studios in Hong Kong on Clearwater Bay Road, built in 1960/61. Where Bolo learned the many skills to be a memorable screen action star.

The films finale see's the former Mr Belgium Jean-Claude Van Damme & former Mr Hong Kong, in their kinetic on-screen re-match. This fight scene was filmed in the United States, even though it’s supposed to be set in Hong Kong. A restored HD extended Edition was featured on MVD's Special Edition Blu-Ray release of the film. Featuring an extended version of films final fight featuring Bolo’s character up against one of Van Damme heroes. Bolo's two memorable movie appearances opposite Jean-Claude Van Damme, helped to make a full-time transition from Asian to American cinema.

- "One of the more memorable death scenes in Double Impact is when Bolo Yeung’s character Moon is electrocuted. Director Sheldon Lettich admitted Moon’s demise was inspired by Odd job’s electrocution at the hands of James Bond in Goldfinger".:Source - https://www.bulletproofaction.com/2019/05/29/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-double-impact/ .

- An on-screen re-match with Jean-Claude Van Damme in Double Impact (1991).

Review: Double Impact (1991)

- "Double Impact - Jean Claude Van Damme (1991) - North Street, Kennedy Town: Sometimes trying to locate certain streets in HK is a bit like trying to find a needle in a haystack and when so many places look the same having a small (but useful) knowledge of written Chinese can save a world of pain. A prime example was my efforts in tracking down the location of Chad's riff raff bar.In the end it was a small sign for a noodle shop that gave the game away, so many thanks to Wing Hing Noodle (永興麵家) for at least still being registered on the English Version of Open Rice despite it being closed (for how long I don't know)" Text source water-marked on the image below.

image.png.ac80038e9ec89c787589a76f71f6fe05.png

- Bolo Yeung with his second son Jacky Yeung and Sheldon Lettich, on the set of Double Imapct.

Bolo-Yeung523.png

- Bolo Yeung with the late American actor Geoffrey Lewis (Salems Lot, Thunderbolt & Lightfoot), & Martial Artist/Actor Peter Malota. On location at Tai Tam Bay in (Hong Kong), during the making of Double Impact (1991).

image.jpeg.7ac19838d651e28a6ebdc2f7f75eb04b.jpeg

Filmmaker & Martial Artist turned actor Jalal Merhi, first met Bolo Yeung while he was in Hong Kong working on his first movie. The pair then met again when Bolo was filming scenes for the Jean-Claude Van Damme action classic Double Impact (1991) during the Hong Kong part of the shoot. This meeting would lead to multiple on-screen collaborations between Merhi and Yeung. The first of these creative collaborations was the Ron Hulme directed Fearless Tiger (1991). He would also go onto star twice alongside Martial Arts sensation Cynthia Rothrock & Merhi in both Tiger Claws 1 (1992) filmed entirely in Canada. This feature was scripted by Jalal Merhis student Stephen Muander. The first instalments had to be filmed in three sections each a month apart, due to financing problems with the distributors.

- "Jalal Merhi: I met Bolo in Hong Kong while shooting my first film, then we met again on the set of Double Impact. I was impressed with his personality and ability, and who could forget him after Enter the Dragon and Bloodsport. He is the best bad guy."  Source - https://budomate.com/jalal-merhi-interview/

- Jalal Merhi meets Bolo Yeung his son Jacky Yeung & Jean-Claude Van Damme, on the set of the Sheldon Lettich directed Double Impact.

Bolo-Yeung1043.jpgBolo-Yeung1044.jpg

- Jalal Merhi poses with Bolo Yeung on the set of Fearless Tiger (1991).

https://badmoviemarathon.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/fearless-tiger.jpg

- "Bolo is an icon in the martial arts world and it's always a thrill to work with him. What a lot of people don't know is that he has a great sense of humour. I recall choreographing a fight scene on Tiger Claws between Bolo and Sifu Mo Chow. The scene called for a standing fight and Bolo said, "Anyone can punch and kick, make it different and the audience will remember it." He then suggested the fight scene happen while sitting on the floor. It worked." - Stephen Maunder

- Linda Masterson (Cynthia Rothrock) fights bad-guy and Tiger Style devotee Chong (Bolo Yeung), in the finale of Tiger Claws (1992).

https://cache.moviestillsdb.com/i/500x/rdkb7q9m/tiger-claws-lg.jpg

- Tiger Claws publicity still featuring (Bolo Yeung) & (Jalal Merhi).

Tigerclaws2.jpg

- Gym time, Bolo with British Martial Artist & actor Gary Daniels during the 1990's.

Bolo-Yeung689.jpg

In (1992) Bolo also appeared with another Martial Arts movie legend and former bodyguard, Richard Norton, along with Britton K. Lee in his last screen role, along with co-star Karman Kruschke. In the last movie directed by the late Robert (Enter the Dragon) Clouse, the Lawrence Riggins scripted Ironheart. With cinematography by the late Kent L. Wakeford, who was the cinematographer on the (1973) Martin Scorsese film Mean Streets, also worked on the Martial Arts movies Black Belt Jones (1973) starring Jim (Enter the Dragon) Kelly & China O'Brien 1 & 2 (1990).

On May 2nd of the same year, Bolo Yeung was the chairman & host at the Hong Kong Bodybuilding Super Show, with his childhood weightlifting hero Chen Jingkai, along with his Chen's wife in attendance. Chen Jingkair also delivered a speech at this event/competition, he was then deputy director of the Guangdong Provincial Sports Commission. Guest posers & competitors included the then next generation of (I.F.B.B) Bodybuilding legends, including an impressive line-up consisting of the late Shelley Beattie R.I.P., Ronnie Coleman, & Miloš Šarčev, along with the late Frank Hillebrand R.I.P., Flex Wheeler, Alq Gurley, & J.J.Marsh. During the 1990's, when Bolo moved to America he became good friends with the record breaking former eight-time Mr Olympia, Lee Haney. In the 1990's, Bolo often returned to Guangzhou to participate in many activities in the Bodybuilding industry, playing a great role in promoting the development of Bodybuilding in China.

- "Ironheart is filmed and set in Portland, Oregon, home to the short-lived rap/hip-hop quintet U-Krew, who disbanded a year before this movie was shot. Five of their songs appear on the soundtrack, including their highest-charting hit, "If U We're Mine" which peaked at #24 on the Billboard Hot 100 (prior to its use in this film). Their song "Ugly" appears in both this movie and the Dolph Lundgren film I Come in Peace (1990)."

Ironheart.jpg

- In the 90's Bolo Yeung met and became friends with the creator the Mr Olympia contest, Bodybuilding/Business legend the late Joe Weider (1919 - 2013). The co-founder of the I.F.B.B (International Federation of BodyBuilding and Fitness) with his brother the late Ben Weider.

bolo-yeung614.jpg

- Bolo with fellow bodybuilder and former eight-time Mr Olympia Lee Haney during the early 1990's source - the  David Yeung Collection.

Bolo-Yeung703.jpg

A still impressive & stronger than ever looking Bolo Yeung, would re-unite on-screen with his friend Martial Artist Jalal Merhi, for a third time in the Sci-Fi Martial Arts flick TC2000 in (1993).  Directed by T.J Scott. Starring alongside Bobbie Phillip's (Baywatch), actor/Martial Artist/Tae-Bo founder Billy Blanks (Tough & Deadly - King of The Kickboxer's), Bodybuilder/Gym owner turned actor the towering Matthias Hues (Fist Fighter - Dark Angel), Harry Mok & the larger-than-life pro-wrestler Garry Robbins. Cast members Billy Blanks and producer Jala Merhi collaborated as fight choreographers, on the many future set fight scenes. This film's promotional trailer re-used music from another Billy Blanks movie Talons of The Eagle, made in (1992).

Billy Blanks, Matthias Hues, Jalal Merhi & Bolo Yeung pose for a TC2000 (1993) promotional picture.

Bolo-Yeung1023.jpg

In 1993 Bolo also starred in another rare heroic role as the Martial Arts Master named Shingo, in the direct to video hit Shootfighter: Fight to The Death  directed by Patrick Alan. Where Bolo worked with William Zabka (Cobra Kai) John Salvitti (Crystal Hunt), & Michael Bernardo. Later in (1996) he would reteam his two Shootfighter co-stars for the all-action sequel directed by Paul Ziller, which also featured Bill Shaw & John Salvitti among the impressive cast of genuine Martial Artists.

There were plans for a third movie that would have created a trilogy, but it’s just one of many film projects that never got off the ground. Both of the (1993) - (1996) Shootfighter films featured an iconic octagonal cage for the tournament fight sequences, five months before the UFC would use one in their debut MMA event on the 25th of November (1993). The shoot fighting style of combat was also very popular in Martial Art's media coverage, during the mid-90's. Bolo landed one more heroic role in yet another one of his few  Martial Arts movie sequels, playing a reformed version of the criminal Chong in Tiger Claws 2 (1996) starring Martial Arts movie queen Cynthia Rothrock & Jalal Merhi. Again scripted by Stephen Muander in a collaboration with Andreas Kyprianou.

- "This (2024) film celebrates the unsung action stars of the eighties/nineties in the North American Pictures Catalog. From Cynthia Rothrock, Jalal Merhi and Bolo Yeung, to Billy Blanks, it examines the home video martial arts craze in the U.S. at the time." - IMDB.Com

- "Simply increasing the size of the muscles is meaningless. The bigger the muscles, the more efficient they should be." - Bolo Yeung

Source: https://namu-wiki.translate.goog/w/양사?_x_tr_sl=ko&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc&_x_tr_hist=true

- One more rep, Bolo Yeung now in his fifties training hard in the gym during the 1990's.

bolo-yeung64.jpg

- "I get up at seven in the morning, and train with weights for two hours, I also do some movements to prepare my body for the day, Sometime I play Tai Chi, Yang style. I train six days a week" - Bolo Yeung: Source: Impact Magazine (1994).

- Bolo Yeung appears on the March (1994) edition of Inside Karate.

Bolo-Yeung928.jpg

- "Never in a million years would I have known when I first watched Bruce Lee’s ENTER THE DRAGON that I would be doing choreography for the big fellow on the far right…named BOLO YEUNG.. If your wondering. He was so cooperative, consummate professional, amazing master of the craft talent, MENACING , ferocious, yet one of the kindest gents I’ve ever worked with. He even helped me with a little contract issue…so I’m paying respects to a true legend , Icon….good man …." - John Salvitti

- "Checking the monitor for truth…." John Salvitti & Bolo during the making of Shootfighter 2 (1996).

Quotes/Image source: John Salvitti Official Facebook page Link - https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1706661319807702&set=a.1427818844358619

Bolo-Yeung1130.jpg

- "I wouldn’t imagine Bolo to have much trouble in a scuffle. I mean, have you seen the size of his chest and arms? And let me tell ya, the dude is solid!" - Bill Shaw

Source: Enter the Shootfighter: Memories about Bolo Yeung (Exclusive) Interview

Link- https://bzfilm.com/talks-interviews/enter-the-shootfighter-memories-about-bolo-yeung-exclusive/

- Bolo Yeung, & Bill Shaw on the set of Shootfighter 2 (1996).

Bolo-Yeung1101.jpg

- Bolo Yeung on the set of Shootfighter 2 (1996) with Martial Artist, actor, producer, bodyguard and stuntman Tony De Leon.

Bolo-Yeung329.jpg

- Shootfighter's, Bolo with actor Martial Artist turned actor Martial Artist turned actor Michael Bernardo.

bolo-yeung619.jpg

During the late noughties he would re-team with his TC200 co-star Jalal Merhi for one last time. In the Jalal Merhi/Erkin lalgashev co-directed Blizhniy Boy: The Ultimate Fighter, filmed in (2007). According to the IMDB.COM, "Jalal Merhi directed the first sixty minutes of the film that they shot in Toronto, but he was very busy and could not travel and do the Russia shoot”. This film features another rare good guy role from Bolo as Askar, the one-eyed trainer. A part which marked Bolo Yeung's last major action movie role. The production also starred former UFC fighter turned actor Cung Le in the leading role. With actors Eric Roberts, Gary Busey, Richard Chavez, Eric Roberts David Carradine & Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa co-starring. This Martial Arts movie still remains unreleased to this day

- Bolo Yeung (far left) and Cung Le (centre) in scene from Blizhniy Boy: The Ultimate Fighter (2007)

Bolo-YeungBB.jpg

On the 29/05/2010 in Basel Switzerland' Bolo would team up with his friend Jean Claude Van Damme once again. Not in a movie role, but on the stage of the Budo Gala Martial Arts event/convention created and promoted by Martial Artist/Filmmaker/Graphic Designer Pavel Nyziak with help from his good friend Stevie McQueen. A man who give the Beast from the East his last on-screen appearance, which was a short cameo/fight scene in Diamond Cartel (2015) Directed by Salamat Mukhammed-Ali.

Pavel joined the production when it was halted and going through some issues behind the scenes. Bolo appeared in Diamond Cartel alongside a vast array of actors from British acting legend Peter O'Toole in his last screen appearance, to Kickboxing Legend turned actor/producer Don the Dragon Wilson and many more. Directed by Salamat Mukhammed-Ali and produced by Pavel Nyziak. Who is also the director and creator of the up-coming Chinese Hercules: The Bolo Yeung Story, a documentary that is currently in production. With a narration from his long-term friend and one of the associate producers of this project Stevie McQueen.

- Bolo Yeung with Don Wilson far right.

bolo-yeung71.jpg

- "Bolo Yeung (77 years old) a guy who constantly inspires me to be in good shape despite the passing of time." - Pavel Nyziak

Bolo Yeung with Pavel Nyziak in (2019).

Bolo-Yeung3003.jpg

- Bolo with one of his  Diamond Cartel (2015) co-stars Armand Assante (Paradise Alley, Judge Dredd, Gotti).

Bolo-YeungDC.jpg

- "Long time gym friend Bolo Jr @2bolojr .We train many years in the same gym and i always was fascinated by Bolo Sr who played to villain in Bruce Lee movie Enter the Dragon. Blessings to father & son,you’re work ethic,i have great respect for,i send my blessings to Bolo Sr & Bolo Jr " - Mickey Rourke

TxT/Image/Source - https://www.instagram.com/mickey_rourke_/p/CY8MM5XrHNX/...

Bolo-Yeung1054.jpg

The former co-chairman of the American Chinese Bodybuilders Federation, not only continues to remain physically active in the world of Asian weightlifting as a trainer and mentor. He also enjoys spending time with his family & grandchildren. Away from the movie set Bolo is far from the extroverted crazy villains he often portrayed on-screen. He is also a very strong family man who often trains alongside his only daughter Debbra Yeung & eldest son former Mr California (1998) David Yeung, who are both established and successful Bodybuilders in their own right. Bolo's second son Jacky Yeung, has gone on to become highly successful in the tough world of competitive Judo, winning many medals. All three of Bolo's children have helped to keep alive the legacy of their father’s screen work.

- "My childhood was mostly about training, I didn’t spend much time with friends and so on, my dad thought I should be dedicated to athletic pursuits so I always had a busy schedule, my dad prepared me from a young age!" - David Yeung

- "Similar to your father, Bolo, you’ve also got an extensive bodybuilding background right?" - Raj Khedun

- "Yes. In addition, I did bodybuilding for 14 years, from 14 to 28.  For my 10-year bodybuilding career, I was more focussed on that type of training, with extra muscle mass, it wasn’t possible to be as dedicated to martial arts.  I also took up boxing after retiring from bodybuilding." - David Yeung

Source: https://kungfukingdom.com/interview-david-yeung/

- "Proud of my children" - Bolo Yeung.

Text/Image Source: https://www.instagram.com/officialboloyeung/p/Bw3VhKRFh1-/

DebbraYeung2.jpg

- Debbra Yeung with Jean-Claude Van Damme and her father.

Bolo-Yeung284.jpg

- Debbra Yeung with her husband, African American bodybuilder Anu McKnight, Anu also dabbles in music and rapping as well. Anu & Debbra were married in (2014) and they have two kids together.

DebraYeung.jpg

David Yeung has also followed his father into the movie world, he made his film debut in the hard hitting (1988) Alex Law directed Painted Faces (1986), based on the real-life experiences of Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan and his fellow Peking Opera students. Sammo Hung would also star in the film alongside Cheng Pei-Pei & fellow Peking Opera student Lam Ching-Ying. He also played the hitman Brett Lee in the two-part (2016) Bond Kuzana movies, this independent Japanese/American co-production was directed and co-scripted by Ryuji Yamakita, with fight choreography by Davd Yeung. Featuring the last performance of Japanese Action movie star the late Sonny Chiba, these two movies remain unreleased to this day. Director Ryuji  Yamakita has recently cast David Yeung for role of Jay, in the movie up-coming picture 9 O’clock.

- "I got into the martial arts when I was 3 or 4 years old.  My dad taught me some basic traditional martial arts including tai chi."

- "At the age of 7, my dad took me to various schools including Karate, Taekwondo, Kickboxing, Wing Chun, Gymnastics and Yoga , so that’s when I got more formally into it and trained until 14.  I also studied a Southern wushu style and I have a first-degree black belt in karate". - David Yeung

Bolo's first son has also contributed an interview to Micheal Worths Bruceploitation documentary Enter the Clones of Bruce Lee (2023) directed by David Gregory. Due to Bolo's a big connection to this far out Martial Arts movie sub-genre, that existed from the mid-70's to the early 1980's. David recently appeared as Yulong in The Last Kumite (2024) directed by Ross W.Clarkson. David also plays the aptly named Jr in the soon to be released  The Circuit 4: Fait Fighter, written and directed by Jalal Merhi starring Billy Blanks. Al Saplenza, Jobrane Merhi filmed in Canada.

- "Bolo Jr. (David Yeung) reunites with one of his father’s biggest cinematic foils: Bruce Le. Here with Michael Worth after the screening of Enter The Clones of Bruce at Alamo Drafthouse Los Angeles"

Source: https://www.facebook.com/bruceploitation

image.jpeg.0a47d80e804b2ca660781e7ec76b2318.jpeg

- "Who else in the martial arts has most inspired you until now?" - Raj Khedun

- "One is wing chun Master Wong Shun Leung (Bruces Deadly Fingers (1976), who was a student under Ip Man and started training about two years before Bruce Lee.  So when Bruce Lee came along, Master Wong helped out with training him." - David Yeung

Thelastkumite.jpg

- "(2024) Film screening event held in Los Angeles, Film: “The Circuit 4: Faith Fighter Billy Blanks, David Yeung, G. Russell Reynolds.".

Txt/Image source: https://www.instagram.com/2bolojr/?hl=en

DavidYeung3.jpg

The now semi-retired actor still follows two lifelong passions of his, as he continues to particate in weightlifting & also practice the much gentler art of Tai-Chi. Bolo is still the chairman of the Hong Kong Gym Business Association. Along with being the Team Manager of the Taipei International Bodybuilders Squad. He also continues to train the many future Mr Hong Kong's, and has also inspired numerous aspiring  Weightlifters, Actors, Martial Artists & Bodybuilders from many different countries. Bolo Yeung is also an avid fan & follower of American Football, Baseball, Basketball and other American sports. Bolo was honoured on-screen in the 2019 Shannon Lee produced, Cine-Max series Warrior. Based on an original idea by the late Bruce Lee, actor Rich Ting plays a gang enforcer aptly named Bolo.

- "Each character in the show was fleshed out effectively and performed brilliantly. One such character, that of Bolo, played by Rich Ting plays an important role in the first season and in this exclusive interview with MEA World-wide (MEAWW), Ting spoke about what inspired him to play the role, why Bolo's character is a reflection of him and how that influenced his performance."

- "When Ting was at Yale University, he played football and this time coincided with the release of Yeung's film 'Bloodsport' in which he played the antagonist, Chong Li. "Being the only Asian football player, I think, in the country at the division one level when I was playing between 1998 - 2002 and also the biggest ... naturally, people started calling me Chong Li because I was not only the only Asian football player a lot of my teammates had ever played with but I was the biggest Asian person they had seen, muscle-wise and athletic-wise."

Source: 'Warrior' actor Rich Ting says playing the character named after his childhood hero Bolo Yeung brings him 'full circle'

Link - https://meaww.com/warrior-actor-rich-ting-interview-says-bolo-yeung-bruce-lee-inspiration-cinemax

- "I get the sense that RZA wanted another co-star, wrestler Dave Bautista, to be his own Bolo Yeung, which just isn't possible. But I still got a kick out of Bautista playing the Shaw Brothers version of Colossus from the X-Men." Source - https://www.slashfilm.com/523122/the-man-with-the-iron-fists-review-rza-pours-a-lifetime-of-martial-arts-fandom-into-a-bloody-mixtape-movie/

- David Yeung, Debbra Yeung & Jacky Yeung - Picture curtesy of Pavel Nyziak.

Bolo-Yeung3004.jpg

- Debbra Yeung with her brother David Yeung in (2023). Source - https://www.instagram.com/2bolojr/?hl=en

Bolo-Yeung3002.jpg

- Debbra Yeung shares one of her many Bodybuilding trophy's/victories, with her father.

Bolo-Yeung1125.png

Filmography/T.V Work & Additional Movie Credits (1970 - 2024)

- Introduction: There is a lot of conflicting information, when it comes to getting an accurate list of films that the charismatic Bolo Yeung appeared in between (1970) & (2015). The IMDB.COM's Bolo Yeung filmography currently consists of 112 movie roles, the HKMDB.Com lists 92 acting performances & HKCinemagic.Com lists 80 screen performances. I have combined films from all of those sites with some minor changes and a few new additions. You will also find additional movie credits at the end of this filmography, highlighting some of Bolo's input behind the camera lens.

Listed below are 138 combined Bolo Yeung Movie and T.V roles/cameos. With 116 film & 21 T.V acting roles spread over five decades, starting with The Wondering Swordsman (1970) and ending with Diamond Cartel (2015). Writer Dave Cater stated in the introduction to his September: (1991) Bolo Yeung Interview for Inside Kung Fu Magazine. That Bolo Yeung had appeared in 150 movies to be exact?. The following conflicting quote is from an interview featured in the September (1990) edition of Martial Arts Illustrated magazine, conducted by one of the Martial Artists from Bloodsport (1988) Wayne Archer.

Wayne Archer: "How Many Movies have you made?"

Bolo Yeung: "Oh, I cannot remember, so many!"

The filmography compiled below drops down from 138 to 130 original acting performances. If you exclude eight of the ten cut & splice cameos that are listed in the latter part of this filmography. The Asian cut & splice movies made in the 1970's, 1980' & 1990's, simply re-used the existing movie scenes/footage and edited into a new or existing production. It was common practice for this kind of thing to happen in Exploitation films from past decades of world cinema. Taking old footage of a well-known actor, and then re-editing it into a whole new movie to try and enhance sales. This can really confuse matter's when it comes to compiling any kind of complete filmography.

New, footage with Bolo Yeung was filmed for both Ninja Killer (1981) & the American VHS release of The Mad Blooded Murder (1981). Which means these odd cinematic exceptions qualify as two original acting roles, because the footage was not just simply recycled from an older movie. I have included some of the a.k.a titles for all these patchwork movies. The unreleased (2007) movie Blizhniy Boy: The Ultimate Fighter co-directed by Erkin Ialgashev & Jalal Merhi is also in my final count/final tally of film roles. Note: Bolo Yeung appeared in the Shaw Brothers produced Trilogy of Swordsmanship (1972), in a duel acting credit playing both a hero & villain in the three-part story.

- John Cheung in the finale of Writing Kung Fu (1979) with his co-star, friend & the film’s director Bolo Yeung.

Bolo-Yeung1108.jpg

"I've made many, many films as an actor, and I have both directed and produced kung fu movies. Mainly kung fu comedies" - Bolo Yeung source: The Bolo Interview - Part 2 by Bey Logan September (1992) Issue of Impact Magazine.

When it came to putting together this list of movie titles the IMDB.Com & the HKMDB.Com, did a lot of the work for me. Those two sites also provide additional cast and crew listings among other production trivia. Thanks goes out to all the very helpful and knowledgeable members of this forum, who have also contributed to this Biography & Filmography. A big thanks also goes out to all the many Websites, Collectors, Hong Kong Film Experts & Historians, who have all shared their related content online etc. Stay tuned for further up-dates & information in the future.

1970 - 1979

- Bolo plays the Mongolian strongman Hercules Bar To Er ,in a scene from King Boxer(1972) directed by Cheng Chang-Ho.

Bolo-Yeung387.jpg

- The Wondering Swordsman (1970) - (Cameo) - Directed by Chang Cheh

- The Heroic One's (1970) - (Cameo) - Directed by Chang Cheh

- The Deadly Duo (1971) Directed by Kuei Chih-Hung & Matsuo Akinori

- Call to Arm's (1971) Directed by Shen Chiang

- The Rescue (1971) Directed by Pao Hsueh-Li

- The Lady Professional (1971) Directed by Chang Cheh

- The Oath of Death (1971) Directed by Shen Chiang

- Trilogy of Swordsmanship (1972) Directed by Chang Cheh, Cheng Kang, & Griffin Yueh Feng

- The Angry Guest (1972) - (Cameo) - Directed by Chang Cheh

- Young People (1972) - (Cameo) - Directed by Chang Cheh

- Man of Iron (1972) Directed by Chang Cheh & Pao-Hsueh-Li

- Intrigue in Nylon's (1972) - (Cameo) - Directed by Kui Chih-Hung

- The Fugitive (1972) - (Cameo) - Directed by Chang Tseng-Chai

- King Boxer (1972) - (Cameo) - Directed by Walter Chung Chang-Hwa

- 14 Amazon's (1972) - (Cameo) - Directed by Cheng Kang

- The Gourd Fairy (1972) Directed by Kui Chih-Hung

- Black Guide (1973) Directed by John Law-Ma & Choi Hoon

- Tiger (1973) - (Cameo) - Directed by John Law-Ma

- Killer in the Dark (1973) Directed by Chan Tung-Man

- Kung Fu's Hero (1973) Directed by Joseph Kong-Hung

- The Magnificent Boxer (1973) Directed by Huang Yuan-Shen

- The Greatest Thai Boxing (1973) Directed by Hsu Tseng-Hung

- Superior Youngster (1973) Directed by Joseph Kong-Hung

- Chinese Hercules (1973) Directed by Huang Ta

- Enter the Dragon (1973) Directed by Robert Clouse

- All Men Are Brother's (1973) Directed by Chang Che & Wu Ma

Note: This movie was filmed between (1971) & (1973).

- The Karate 2 (1974) Directed by Yukio Noda

- Thunder Kick (1974) - (Cameo) - Directed by Teddy Yip Wing-Cho

- The Bodyguard (1974) Directed by Chan Tung-Man

- A Debt of Crime (1975) Directed by Richard Chen-Chun

- He Loved Once Too Many (1975) Directed by Sung Tsun-Shou

- Hong Kong Superman (1975)  Directed by Ting Shan-Hsi

- The Big Family (1976): - (Cameo) - Directed by Steve Chan-Ho

- Bruce's Deadly Finger's (1976) - (Cameo) - Directed by Joseph Kong-Hung

- Love by Post (1976) - (Cameo) - Directed by Chang Mei-Chun

- A Queen's Ransom (1976) Directed by Ting Shan-Hsi

- Divorce Hong Kong Style (1976) Directed by Jeanette Lin-Hsi

- Soul of Chiba (1977) Directed by Chan Tung-Man & Noda Yukio

- Bruce & Shaolin Kung Fu (1977) Directed by James Nam Gung-Fan & Cho Seong

- 10 Magnificent Killers (1977) Directed by Fong Yau

- Deadly Chase for Justice (1977) Directed by Michael Chan-Wai-Man & Luk Chuen

- Enter the Game of Death (1978) Directed by Lam Kwok-Cheung & Choe U-Hyeong

- Mr Big (1978) Directed by Lam Kwok-Cheung

- Bruce Lee The Invincible (1978) - (Cameo) - Directed by Law Kei

- Bruce Lee in New Guinea (1978) Directed by Yang Chi-Yao

- Storming Attack's (1978) Directed by Richard Yeun-Kuen

- Amsterdam Connection (1978) Directed by Fan Mei-Sheng & Law Kei

- The Dragon on Fire (1978) - (Cameo) - Directed by Joseph Kong-Hung

- The Tattoo Connection (1978) Directed by Lee Tso-Nam

- Bruce Le’s Greatest Revenge (1979) - (Cameo) - Directed by To Man-Bo

- Bruce Super Hero (1979) - (Cameo) - Directed by Huang Kin-Lung

- Fists, Kicks, and the Evils (1979) Directed by To Man-Bo

- The Dragon, The Hero (1979) - (Cameo) - Directed by Godfrey Ho Chi-Keung

- Little Master (1979) Directed by Ho Cheuk-Wing

- Bolo (1979) Directed by Bolo Yeung

- Snake Deadly Act (1979) - (Cameo) - Directed by Wilson Tong Wai-Shing

- Invincible Kung Fu (1979) Directed by To Man-Bo

- Writing Kung Fu (1979) Directed by Bolo Yeung

Note: The original U.S theatrical release contained an extra Bolo Yeung fight, edited into the opening.

- The 36 Deadly Styles (1979) Directed by Joseph Kuo Nan-Hong

- Crystal Fist (1979) - (Cameo) - Directed by Hua Shan  

Note: A Bolo Yeung fight scene only appears in some rare 35mm export prints of Crystal Fist.

1980 - 1989

- With Bruce Lee's son Brandon Lee in a cameo scene from the Ronny Yu directed Legacy of Rage (1986).

SvengoolieNewmar on Twitter: "Bolo Yeung and Brandon Lee in Legacy of Rage  (1986).… "

- Master Killer’s (1980) Directed by Wang Hung-Chang

- Bruce King of Kung Fu (1980) - (Cameo) - Directed by Daniel Lau Chan-Ting & Huang Kin-Lung

- The Clones of Bruce Lee (1980) - (Cameo) - Directed by Joseph Kong-Hung & Nam Gi-Nam

- The Kung Fu Cook (1980) Directed by Wong Chung

- All the Wrong Clues (1981) - (Cameo) - Directed by Tsui Hark

- Dragon Bruce Lee Part 2 (1981) Directed by To Man-Bo & Lee Eun

- The Ninja Strikes Back (1982) Directed by Huang Kin-Lung & Joseph Kong-Hung

- Challenge of The Tiger (1982) - (Cameo) - Directed by Huang Kin-Lung

- The Super Gang (1982) Directed by Wong Siu-Jun

- Just for Fun (1983) - (Cameo) - Directed by Frankie Chan Fan-Kei

- Play Catch (1983) - (Cameo) - Directed by Lau Kar-Wing

- The Boxer’s Omen (1983) - (Cameo) - Directed by Kuei Chih-Hung

- Silent Romance (1984) - (Cameo) - Directed by Frankie Chan Fan-Kei

- Seven Angels (1985) - (Cameo) - Directed by Michael Mak Dong-Git

- Working Class (1985) - (Cameo) - Directed by Tsui Hark

- My Lucky Stars (1985) - (Cameo) - Directed by Sammo Hung Kam-Bo

- Lucky Diamond (1985) - (Cameo) - Directed by Yuen Cheung-Yan

- Lucky Star’s Go Places (1986) - (Cameo) - Directed by Sammo Hung Kam-Bo

- The Millionaires Express (1986) - (Cameo) - Directed by Sammo Hung Kam-Bo

- Where’s Officer Tuba (1986) - (Cameo) - Directed by Phillip Chan Yan-Kin & Ricky KLau Koon-Wai

- Legacy of Rage (1986) - (Cameo) - Directed by Ronny Yu

- Killer’s Nocturne (1987) - (Cameo) - Directed by Lam Nai-Choi

- Your My Destiny (1987) - (Cameo) - Directed by Eric Tsang Chi-Wai

- To Err is Humane (1987) - (Cameo) - Directed by Alfred Cheung Kin-Ting

- Blood Call (1988) - (Cameo) - Directed by Tung Lo

- One Husband Too Many (1988) - (Cameo) - Directed by Athony Chan Yau

- Bloodsport (1988) - Directed by Newt Arnold

- Bloodfight (1989) - Directed by Goto Shuji

1990 - 1999

- With actors Philip Chan & Jean-Claude Van Damme in a scene from Double Impact (1991) directed by Sheldon Lettich.

Bolo-Yeung1230.jpg

- Magic Force from Highland (1990) - (Cameo) - Directed by Yu Chik-Lim

- Breathing Fire (1991) Directed by Brandon Pender & Lou Kennedy

- Double Impact (1991) Directed by Sheldon Lettich

- Fearless Tiger (1991) Directed by Ron Hulme

- Tiger Claw’s (1992) Directed by Kelly Makin

- Ironheart (1992) Directed by Robert Clouse

- Shootfighter Fight to The Death (1993) Directed by Patrick Alan

- TC2000 (1993) Directed by T.J Scott

- Shootfighter 2 (1996) Directed by Paul Ziller

- Tiger Claws 2 (1996) Directed by J. Stepehen Maunder

2000 - 2015

- Blizhniy Boy The Ultimate Fighter (2007) Directed by Erkin Ialgashev & Jalal Merhi - (Unreleased)

- Diamond Cartel (2015) - (Cameo) - Directed by Salamat Mukhammed-Ali

- Bolo Yeung on the set of Diamond Cartel a.k.a The Whole World at Our Feet (2015).

Bolo-Yeung1231.jpg

T.V Work

1970 - 2011

- A fight scene from Japanese T.V series - Code Name 108 Shichi Nin no Ribu (1976).

Bolo-Yeung1070.png

- Shaw Brothers Charity Basketball Game: TVB Special (1970) - Self

- Winston Cigarettes/Cigar Commercial (1972) - Self

Featuring fellow Hong Kong actors Cheng Lui & Chieh Yuen.

- Fight! Dragon: TBS T.V Series (1974)

Note: Listed below each episode is the Japanese T.V premeire date.

Episode 1: Dragon Fly to Hong Kong Directed by Toru Sotoyama & Shozo Tamura

(Broadcast 2/7/74)

Episode 2: The enemy of the dragon is a purple snake Directed by Toru Sotoyama & Shozo Tamura

(Broadcast 9/7/74)

- Code Name 108 Shichi Nin no Ribu: Kansai T.V series (1976)

Episode 6: Cleapotras Tears Directed by Kozuyoshi Yoshikawa. (Guest Appearance)

(Broadcast 9/11/76)

- G-Men '75 - TBS T.V Series (1977 - 1981)

Episode 126: Hitman in the South China Sea - Directed by Ryuichi Takamori

(Broadcast 15/10/77)

Episode 127: Macau Hitman Directed by Ryuichi Takamori

(Broadcast 22/10/77)

Episode 175: Hong Kong Karate VS G-Men Part 1 Directed by Kashiwa Yamauchi

(Broadcast 30/10/78)

Episode 176: Hong Kong Karate VS G-Men Part 2 Directed by Kashiwa Yamauchi

(Broadcast 07/10/78)

Episode 201: G-Men VS Hong Kong Karate Corps Part 1 Directed by Noriyuki Komatsu

(Broadcast 07/04/79)

Episode 202: G-Men VS Hong Kong Karate Corp Part 2 Directed by Noriyuki Komatsu

(Broadcast 14/04/79)

Episode 227: G-Men VS Hong Kong's Eating Tiger Part 1 Directed by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi

(Broadcast 06/10/79)

Episode 228: G-Men VS Hong Kong Eating Tiger Part 2 Directed by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi

(Broadcast 13/10/79)

Episode 267: G-Men VS The World's Strongest Karate Part 1 Directed by Ryuichi Takamori

(Broadcast 12/07/80)

Episode 268: G-Men VS The World's Strongest Karate Part 2 Directed by Ryuichi Takamori

(Broadcast 19/07/80)

Episode 292: Hong Kong Woman Karate VS G-Men Part 1 Directed by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi

(Broadcast 10/08/81)

Episode 293: Hong Kong Woman Strongest Karate Part 2 Directed by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi

(Broadcast 17/08/81)

Episode 294: Hong Kong Woman Strongest Karate Part 3 Directed by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi

(Broadcast 28/08/81)

Episode 319: Hong Kong Karate VS Peking Man Part 1 Directed by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi

(Broadcast 18/09/81)

Episode 320: Hong Kong Karate VS Peking Man Part 2 Directed by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi

(Broadcast 28/09/81)

- G-Men '82 - TBS Series (1982 - 1983)

Episode 10: Burn! Hong Kong Shaolin Temple Part 1 Directed by Takao Nagaishi

(Broadcast 23/01/83)

Episode 11: Roar! Hong Kong Shaolin Temple Part 2 Directed by Kazuo Shimomura

(Broadcast) 30/01/83)

Episode 14: Hong Kong Woman's Special Fist Directed by Kazuo Shimomura

(Broadcast 20/02/83)

- "Quiz Derby" - TBS chat show hosted by Kyosen Ohashi (1982) - Self

(Guest appearance promoting G-Men '82, with one of the shows star Yasuaki Kurata)

- Beijing T.V Interview with fellow guest Bey Logan (2010) - Self

- Jean-Claude Van Damme: Behind Closed Doors - ITV 4 (U.K) Reality T.V Series (2011)

Episode 8: Ceremony - Self

Documentary Appearances 

1973 - 2024

- Bruce Lee The Man & The Legend (1973) Golden Harvest (Self) - Documentary.

- Location Hong Kong: The Making of Enter the Dragon (1973) Warner Brother's (Self) - Documentary.

- Bruce Lee Martial Art’s Master (1993) Warner Brothers (Self) - Documentary.

- Top Fighter (1995) Produced by Eastern Heroes - Documentary (Archive Footage).

- American Expendables (2024) Produced by Troma Films - Documentary (Archive Footage).

Fight Choreography

1974 - 1996

- The Greatest Thai Boxing (1974) with Fong Yau, Chieh Yuen, San Kui.

- 10 Magnificent Killer's (1977) with San Kui, Nick Cheung-Lik, Fong Yao.

- The Amsterdam Connection (1978) with San Kui, Nick Cheung-Lik, Fong Yao.

- Writing Kung Fu (1979) with John Cheung & San Sin.

- Bolo (1979) with Jason Pai Paio & Huang Ha.

- Tiger Claws 2 (1996) Bolo Yeung collaborated with J. Stephen Maunder on his fight scenes in the movie.

Director

- Bolo (1979) Production Company Star Film (H.K.) Co.

- Writing Kung Fu (1979) Production Company Mountview Film Co. (H.K.).

Additional Movie Credits

1974 - 1996

- Production Staff: The Karate 2 (1974) Toei Studios

- Production Staff: Soul of Chiba (1977) Toei Studios

- Writer: Soul of Chiba (1977) Toei Studios collaboration with Norio Negata.

- Production Manager: Bolo (1979) Star Film (H.K) Co, with Jason Pai Piao.

- Writer: Bloodfight (1989) collaboration with Yasuaki Kurata & Sawaguchi Yoshiak.

- Associate Producer: Shootfighter 2 (1996) Columbia Pictures.

Cut & Splice Movie Roles

1975 - 2000

-  (1982) U.S Theatrical re-release poster for the (1975) Japanese cut & splice movie Fighting Dragon.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/36/59/12/36591204a0265c37fee14c9fb9f26370.jpg

- Fighting Dragon (1975) Directed by Peng Chien, Toru Sotoyama & Shozo Tamura.

a.k.a Challenge Me Dragon.

Five episodes from the (1974) Fight! Dragon T.V show, were edited into a single movie for its international cinema release.

Includes two re-used Yasuaki Kurata VS Bolo Yeung fight scenes taken from the series.

(1982) U.S cinema re-release title Fighting Dragon VS Deadly Tiger.

- Treasure of Bruce Le (1979) Directed by Joseph Kong-Hung

a.k.a Enter the Game of Shaolin Bronzemen, Kung Fu Streetfighter.

Features a recycled fight scene lifted from Bruce & Shaolin Kung Fu (1977).

- The Blazing Ninja (1980) Directed by Godfrey Ho Chi-Keung

a.k.a Dragoneer 14 - The Blazing.

Borrows the Bruce Lai/Bolo fight footage from Dragon on Fire (1979).

- Ninja Killer (1981) Directed by Godfrey Ho

Re-Cut/Retitled version of Kung Fu on The Bosporus (1974) directed by Vicktor Lam.

Godfrey Ho added newly shot footage filmed in Hong Kong, and spliced in new cast members for the 1981 VHS re-release.

- The Mad Cold-Blooded Murder (1981) Directed by Albert Law To-Bong

Newly shot footage filmed by Bruce Le under his production company 'Dragon Films Company'.

Was later added to the early 1980's U.S VHS editions of the film.

- Dragon Lee Fights Back (1981) Directed by To Man-Bo & Kim Jin-Tai

a.k.a Muscle of The Dragon.

This production re-used the Huang Kin-Lung/Bolo Yeung training scene from Clones of Bruce Lee - (1980).

- Bruce Lee's Secret Kung Fu (1988) Directed by Joseph Kong-Hung

a.k.a Bruce’s Ninja Secret, Bruce the Top Master, Bruce’s Last Battle.

Patchwork of Bruce's Deadly Finger's (1976) & Bruce & The Shaolin Bronzemen (1982).

- Megaforce from Highland (1992) Directed by Yu Chik-Lim

a.k.a Shaolin Megaforce

Re-used footage from the movie Magic Force from Highland (1990).

- Fist of Legend 2: Iron Bodyguards (1996) Directed by Robert Tai Chi-Hsien & Chan Tung-Man

a.k.a Fists of Legends II: Iron Bodyguards.

Producers used a fight sequence taken from The Bodyguard - (1974).

- Tiger Claws III (2000) Directed by J. Steven Maunder

a.k.a Tiger Claws III the Final Conflict.

Archive footage from Tiger Claws 1 & 2 (Uncredited).

Related Link's

- Bolo Yeung Official Facebook page Link- https://www.facebook.com/Bolo-Yeung-1506675429619648/

- David Yeung Official Facebook page Link- https://en-gb.facebook.com/DAVIDYEUNGBOLO/

- David Yeung Official Instagram page Link - https://www.instagram.com/2bolojr/?hl=en

- Chinese Hercules: The Bolo Yeung Story (Documentary) Link- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8387520/

- Ultimate Bolo Yeung Link- https://en-gb.facebook.com/yangszebolo/

- Bolo Yeung HKMDB Filmography Link- http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=13138&display_set=eng

- Bolo Yeung IMDB.Com Filmogrpaphy Link - https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001866/

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

bolo-yeung536.jpg

(Above) Behind the scenes picture with veteran Hong Kong actor Sek Kin on the set of Enter the Dragon (1973).

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Bruce Lee rehearsing the Roper/Bolo fight scene in Enter The Dragon(1973), as John Saxon looks on.

fe260bff36bd6cd1a449cf7fe80952a7.jpg

b5753d24335c96016d884ef9d5f33a4e.jpg

ef998aa87d6f6699c554e4de8aaf4444.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Click on the link above, for my full thoughts, on Bruce & Shaolin Kung Fu Part 1, thank you.

Bolo and Kong Do in a scene from Bruce & Shaolin Kung Fu.

BruceAndShaolinKungFu1.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Bolo's last movie appearance(for now) will finally be getting a release in the U.K, U.S & Australia. Originally titled The Whole World At Our Feet the film has been re-titled Diamond Cartel. The film had been shelved for some time but thanks to Shoreline Entertainment and Cleopatra Entertainment it will finally see the light of day in early 2017.

Thanks to Ultimate Bolo Yeung FacgeBook page for this information Link- https://www.facebook.com/Ultimate-BOLO-YEUNG-159579510877559/

Diamond Cartel Facebook page Link- https://www.facebook.com/diamondcartelmovie/

Some stills from the production of the movie featuring the Martial Arts movie icon.

MV5BNjYyOWFmNDgtMTgzNS00ZjI4LWE0OTAtNzY3

MV5BN2E0YmM3MWYtZTA4ZC00MDQyLWI0ODEtN2Q4

MV5BNDQ5OGI2MDctZTdjZi00YmM0LWEwNjUtZmRi

MV5BZTUwZmQ1NDMtZDM4MC00ZWYzLTk4MTktYTQw

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

maxresdefault.jpg

Bolo and Bruce Lee during rehearsals for Bolo decimation of Han's guards, with Mars(foreground) and Lam Ching Ying(background).

• Like 4

Image-of-Bruce-Lee-1978-In-Hindi.jpg

Re-posted this old review of Image Of Bruce Lee that was lost when the forums went down. Bolo has a supporting role in this crime themed Ho Chung Tao actioner.

For more Bolo related reviews by various talented writers on the Kung Fu Fandom Forums, please click on the link below.

Bolo prepares to teach Jean Claude Van Damme a few lessons in self defense in a scene from Double Impact(1991)

tumblr_mvt8no6y151rbe1pjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

On 12/27/2016 at 10:41 PM, BiggWill1988 said:

I was thinking does anyone know Bolo's workout routines to get bulky. I dont think he ever said what he does.

It wold be nice to know more about this and his powerlifting/bodybuilding career before he came to the states.

(Video Link Expired)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

O yea i remember seeing this one a few years back. If i ever see what he did before he came to the States/ bodybuilding including the number of sets and reps.  I would do that one 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BiggWill1988 said:

O yea i remember seeing this one a few years back. If i ever see what he did before he came to the States/ bodybuilding including the number of sets and reps.  I would do that one 

He competed in powerlifting events so deadlifts, squats and bench/standing presses must have been a big part of his rountine at some point. There's a scene in Double Impact 1991 where he lifts an oil barrel, and he clearly practiced powerlifting techniques by the way he lifts it. He grabs either end of the barrel and does a really neat standting press with it. His technique is flawless, and hes clearly done it many times before making the movie.

• Like 4