Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21884067

'Blush Noisette'... are you still in love with it?...

User
5 years ago

..if you ever were of course... I did have a moment in July when I felt I might need a change, but all is forgiven today... I used to have 2 but decided 1 is enough, but now I wish I had 2 again... do you chop 'n change like this?... maybe it's the time of life...

Comments (19)

• jerijen
    5 years ago

I don't actually grow Blush Noisette (tho I once did ) but I grow other cluster-flowering Noisettes. And while they have their flaws, I love them unreservedly.

User thanked jerijen
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If I could get ''Setzer'' I would get it, just to compare... it just looks a bit different, but similar habit..

• Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

I do still like Blush Noisette, very much. Mine is compact, never getting more than 4 feet tall, so I don't have to hard prune to keep it restrained.

User thanked Krista_5NY
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Mine is stuffed into a wire cone and only about two feet tall. It formerly grew in a too-shady spot where it developed a buggy disease and I chopped it down to about a foot and replanted it in a sunny spot. Now of course it's small enough for the rabbits to eat it. Since it doesn't have a wall to lean against I suppose it will need a support. Yikes, nothing but trouble.......However, I'm amazed at how well it has done in the punishing heat.

User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • yuccarose
    5 years ago

Ingrid said it...I am also in punishing heat and mine cheerfully blooms on even at 105 degrees. I give her the best I have to offer and she is happy. Not even the bunnies or ground squirrels faze her; she just blooms and grows. What more can I ask for in a rose? For me she is definitely a keeper!

User thanked yuccarose
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

oldrosarian, that is a stunning picture, and Marlorena I forgot to say how beautifully yours is growing and blooming.

yuccarose, I see you also have bunnies and ground squirrels. I'm wondering how you cope with those hungry mouths. Are you having to put barriers around your roses?

User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • User
    5 years ago

In my garden,Blush Noisette is a reliable, floriferous rose,and desrves praise indeed for it's ability to withstand and even prosper in conditions that other roses can't handle. The fact that it is very slow-growing, however, does mean that one must give it time. Some nurseries list it as a climber,but it sure doesn't seem to be inclined to climbing!

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

bart, thanks.. and I hope you're bearing up there, I know you have lots of medical health issues to deal with right now, which can't make it easy for you..

I sometimes wonder if we all have the same rose you know... some photos I see make it look slightly different... ours is very vigorous, either a large shrub, climber or rambler.. I think of it as a 3-way rose, to do whatever you like with... it's easy to train whichever way... at the moment my preference is for the large shrub version...

Thanks for the input, and photo above from old rosarian..

• User
    5 years ago

How old is yours, Marlorena? I, too, wonder a lot about whether or not it's all the same rose that we all have.Also, I think I've been sent "Blush Noisette" twice by different nurseries, whereas what was in the catalogue-what I ordered-one time was "Ornement des Bosquets",the other time was supposed to be "Belle Vichyssoise" ;i have both of these latter, so I know that the plants I was sent are not OdB or BV; they seem so much like my "Blush Noisette...

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It's all a bit weird isn't it bart? I really don't get it how yours is slow growing, that doesn't make any sense to me... I've had mine about 7 or 8 years, moved it once, I used to have it as a rambler, with a spread of about 10 feet, a short rambler.. then I kept it as a straight up climber, but now I like the shrub style, about 6 x 5 foot, which is enough for me at present... I struggle to keep it that way in late Spring, it wants to spread out again with long wavy canes that get in my way.. .. oh well, it's fun... can't really be without it...

• yuccarose
    5 years ago

Ingrid, YES! Anything under about 3 years is enclosed in chicken wire. I just pretend those cages aren’t there...

Bart_2015, I too wondered about BV vs. Blus Noisette. IMO, my plants are identical.

• User
    5 years ago

My BV instead is clearly a climber; it grew quickly and immediately to climbing size; blooms a lot leass than BN but that is also perhaps due to my poor conditions. Marlorena, your own garden conditions are SO much better than mine,and you take much better care of your plants than I can; that might be part of the issue. But I also get this impression-perhaps from some posts from Jeri in the past?- that there may well be a lot of "Blush Noisette-type" noisette "clones" around...

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    5 years ago

Oldrosarian, beautiful pic. Absolutely loving it :)

Marlorena, I miss you. Loving your BN also. It is beautiful and I can see so many pink buds in the pic. I love how you explained yours was a rambler to climber to a shrub. That is very interesting to have different styles. I love it.

Bart, I have to check on BV. I never heard of it. It is so new to me but I need to check HMF to see the pics. Something to look forward when I get home after work :)

Jin

User thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Jin, great to see you still here, I had been thinking almost everyone had ''jumped ship''... although I couldn't blame them if I'm honest...

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    5 years ago

When I ordered Blush Noisette 10years ago, I had to pot it, as the garden wasn't ready for it straight away. When it started flowering, it's scent was so strong and wonderful, I used to walk backwards and forwards past it all the time just to have that glorious scent wafting at me. Since I have planted it out in the garden, it has grown and flowered really well. It is always healthy, it is nearly always flowering, it is evergreen, BUT, it has lost it's scent. Why I don't know.

It has made a lot of difference to how I think about it. If I were to lose it it would not break my heart. If however it were still perfumed, it would break my heart to lose it.

Daisy

User thanked daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Well, I am still having issues today. Believe it or not I am responding to you through email Yes, true email and I recognized the format and decided to write and hopefully I can post. I have a lot of issues with Houzz .

How I got the email was Bec you thank me and gave me thumbs up which I can click on see comment or view . That's how I am writing to you through that way.

I saw Cedemas also and Ingrid and I hope the format is the same way but yours came in first so I am going in order

Great to see you Marlorena :)

Jin

5 years ago

I saw Ingrid's and she gave me thumbs up for Darren's thread and that I cannot write Bec of format style. It is like hit or Miss thing and I see my post when through with you, Marlorena.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jin,.. thanks again, always good to see you and talk...

...what extraordinary difficulties you are having... I've no idea how you managed to post at all through email... that's so weird... I do hope it works out eventually, otherwise there's not going to be a lot of point for people here..

Daisy... it's funny you say that about the scent, because what I notice is that it's strongest in late Spring/early Summer, then the scent fades somewhat... it's not so strong right now even though a good flush is taking place... it doesn't waft like it does earlier in the year... that's all I can say about that...

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz