Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alloy Art Street Glide Run (SGFS-2) Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 11:35 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
Cool Alloy Art Street Glide Run (SGFS-2) Review

Hey HD Forum Team!!!!

I want to preface that I'm not getting any kick back from manufacturer or any perks whatsoever, so lets begin. After blacking out my front end this winter, adding some nice performance parts to the front end, and adding a Hogworkz LED headlight the front stock chrome turn signals really stood out to me like a sore thumb and just didn't fit well with my build. The two different flush turn signal units I originally looked at were the Alloy Art Street Glide Run and Custom Dynamics Probeam Dynamic Strips. Both looked good, but what I was after was something really flush, sleek, and overall minimalist design, so Alloy Art for the WIN! For the life of me I couldn't find much detailed info really on either, so below is my experience/review of the Street Glide Run turn signals on my 2007 Street Glide.

IMPRESSIONS
I got these from a seller on Ebay for $178.16 and below is the packaging as it comes. Box is packaged very well and the quality of the metal is excellent! Had zero scratches/imperfections! You get molex pins and 2 types of connectors for pre and post '13 models. Wish new mounting bolts (chrome or black) were provided to kick it up a notch, although the stock flat head bolts fit extremely well and don't look bad.

In the pic above you can see how I routed the wire through the cut channel that's in the bracket, but I'm not sure what the channel is for cause it would leave the wire exposed in the back (totally visible) if routed this way. That notch should be continued in the vertical channel and out in front above the LED's, like the stock brackets are notched. I ended up running it out and laying it flat and it will be fine as the wire rest on the plastic of the fairing, not against metal once it's all bolted up.

To make these act as run and blink (not just blink and off) you need the Dual Element Circuit (Black) - $10 from Alloy Art website OR it would have been automatically included if the turn signals were purchased directly from Alloy Art! This rubbed me the wrong way......why not included within the original box. Turns out that the circuit is from Radiantz and so are the LED's on the units.

INSTALL
Install wasn't bad, but you do need wire connectors (I used 18-22 gauge butt connectors) to connect the dual circuit red wire to the LED yellow wire (if you don't want dual function - run/blink then this isn't needed) and you'll need some heat shrink tubing to clean things up and protect the wires.

Once you connect the one dual element circuit wire to the LED wires you will have 3 wires to work with. Next you have to crimp the molex pins the the end of the wires. The special $50 crimp tool is not needed as I used the crimps available on my wire stripper and worked it carefully. Lastly, they have to go in these locations that are marked on the plastic connector: Orange = 1 (this makes it run), Red = 2, Black = 3

This is definitely not a difficult job, but isn't a plug and play. Alloy Art, why not make these connections already or just have us slid the pins into the black connector???

Here you can see how I routed the wire, which will be fine as there is a bit of space in the plastic, otherwise it would have come out to the left of the bottom mounting bolt.

If you chose not to have them dual element (run/blink) the connector would look like this when done:

Not a bad crimp job if I do say so myself from only using crimps on my regular $10 wire strippers.

Last edited by HD Bobber; 04-15-2020 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
426power (04-16-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 11:48 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

FINISHED PRODUCT

Here is a video of them in action, so you can see how they work

CONCLUSION

I absolutely love how they look and it's exactly what I was after. I was on the fence making them run/blink, but I'm glad that I did as the more we can make ourselves visible the better, plus I think it adds to the look!

I wanted to add that I already had the Kuryakyn Panacea rear LED setup (center light and turn signals), which came with a load equalizer, so ONLY one load equalizer for my bike was enough, as you can see in the video from the normal blinking rate.

PROS
  • Very flush mount
  • Bright LED's
  • Beautiful fit and finish
CONS
  • Dual element circuit wires should be included in the box, so if purchased from a vendor other than directly from Alloy Art they would be there
  • Notch for routing wire should come out the front of the signals, not the back or both options could have been made
  • could be more plug and play friendly

Last edited by HD Bobber; 04-15-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:28 PM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Looks nice- good report

Old 04-15-2020, 01:55 PM
twincam10353
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

First of all super nice write-up.

They look good, but that seems like a lot of work. Why not the Custom Dynamics Probeam Dynamic Strips that are plug-n-play?

or these Joker Machine Streamliners

Serious question, because I am interested in doing something like this (mainly because HD doesn't sell the front turn signals in black for whatever reason.)

Last edited by twincam10353; 04-15-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:27 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by woodreaux
Looks nice- good report
Thanks man. Just wanted it available for anyone looking to to go this route or just more info.

Originally Posted by twincam10353
First of all super nice write-up.

They look good, but that seems like a lot of work. Why not the Custom Dynamics Probeam Dynamic Strips that are plug-n-play?

or these Joker Machine Streamliners

Serious question, because I am interested in doing something like this (mainly because HD doesn't sell the front turn signals in black for whatever reason.)
I definitely did look at the CD Probeam turn signals, but liked the slimmer look of the Alloy Art units a bit better. As for the Joker brand I saw those as well, but didn't like how tiny the light was, kinda looks like one round LED in a round glass to magnify the light (not a fan).

HD does make black turn signals, but they are the bullet style, just like the stock powder coasted in black. They're not flush, but they are black (link is here). If you're looking to replace your front turns to flush mount units I'd go with the Probeam units, if you prefer the look. For what seems to be a plug and play setup.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:16 AM
1 2 many
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Those guy are stand up guys. I am local to the area and stopped by one day and they have me a shop tour. family owned.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:06 PM
twincam10353
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
HD does make black turn signals, but they are the bullet style, just like the stock powder coasted in black. They're not flush, but they are black (link is here)
Those only fit 1996 - 2013 year models.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:34 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by twincam10353
Those only fit 1996 - 2013 year models.
gotcha, wasn’t sure what year you had. If changing front turns there are better options than HD anyway.