Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

How safe is it to take apart my PSP to clean the dust away?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael

There is dust behind my PSP's screen. While it's usually not visible, it is while playing in bright places, and while playing dark games. I've been thinking about taking my PSP apart and cleaning it(using an online guide), but how safe is it? Is there a high risk of breaking something? I know the warranty will be voided, but I think it has expired anyway so that doesn't really matter. Also, I have no experience doing something like this before.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mushir
    As long as you remember where to put everything back, you should be safe. Make sure you have total concentration while doing this though.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

I imagine it's pretty safe, though I find the notion of risking your electronics' life after the warranty has expired funny.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael
    Twilight said:
    "As long as you remember where to put everything back, you should be safe. Make sure you have total concentration while doing this though."
    Ok, thanks! I just realized I could try it on my other PSP. The display is broken on that one(most of it is black when you turn it on), so it could be good for practice.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

Whenever I've taken any handheld apart it has always lead to worse things.  Lynx was hard to get the button and button pads to go back in the right places, I tried to dust inside my Gameboy Color (or was it advance?) screen and ended up making it way more dusty.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok

I took my PSP apart without any problems. You just have to be kind of careful for the loose parts (rubber and the like) when peeling it open.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By sarahsdad

I would suggest to get some canned air, or one of those squeeze bulb things they usually use to suck snot out of baby noses. My biggest issue with taking the screen off of my original psp was making sure I didn't have more dust under the screen when I got it back together.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

1.GET THE RIGHT TOOLS regular precision screw drivers won't cut it alot the screws on the psp are a bitch to get turning and the wrong screw driver which you think will work will strip the screw head like a mother fuck *should know he's tried it and stripped a screw head*

2.PSP are nortorious for geting dust behind the screen for no good reason but this is mostly cause the DS has enclosed screens where as the psp doesn't.

3. find some videos online showing how to dismantle one of these things clear instructions on what screws to remove and how to flip open tabs with thin peices of metal or an exacto knife.

4. you are guranteed to void the warrenty by taking it apart because you have to remove a voiding sticker to get to one of the screws.

List of tutorials.
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/525774/psp_dismantle_tear_apart_tutorial_video/

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/how-to-take-apart-your-psp-in-minutes-205313.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vSJrZyCUsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLpkKoseeeM

there are a mix of slim and fat disasembly videos as well some have stupid music i dont know why they put music.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.