Sega 3D Console?

This forum is closed. Rumor and speculation topics about future Sega consoles are no longer allowed in any forum section as of 2/22/2012

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Sega 3D Console?

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Not sure if this means anything or not but I found this patent for a "3D VIDEOGAME SYSTEM" that mentions SEGA in it. It says that Philips and Sega are working on a 3D technology. It was filed in February of last year.

Here's the link to the full patent:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=67PRAA ... 22&f=false
Last edited by pcwzrd13 on Thu May 26, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

MrSega

Re: Sega 3D Console?

Post by MrSega »

From the sounds of it. It sounds like SEGA is concepting some sort of 3D stereoscopic processing technique with Philips. If I'm not mistaken, this concept dates back to 2008 although the patent was filed in 2010.

I will study it throughly to see what I can make of it.

stu
Feet of Fury

Post by stu »

[quote

From what I've read of the section of this patent all it says is that both Sega and Phillips are developing 3D display technologies of this type, nowhere in that excerpt does it discuss Sega and Phillips working jointly on the tech. If you read on it goes on to detail some quite major flaws with this particular type of display that I think would probably drastically affect it's adoption in either the home or the arcades.

BTW this section appears to have come from this patent document:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100151944

Interesting tech though :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

stu wrote:[quote

From what I've read of the section of this patent all it says is that both Sega and Phillips are developing 3D display technologies of this type, nowhere in that excerpt does it discuss Sega and Phillips working jointly on the tech. If you read on it goes on to detail some quite major flaws with this particular type of display that I think would probably drastically affect it's adoption in either the home or the arcades.

BTW this section appears to have come from this patent document:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100151944

Interesting tech though :)
Yeah, I just thought it was interesting. Sega has never manufactured a display before. Let alone a 3D one. It raises the question, why? Is it more likely that Sega is working on a game console with a built-in screen, a 3DS-like portable console, or their first TV/Monitor?
PSO Characters:

stu
Feet of Fury

Post by stu »

pcwzrd13 wrote:Yeah, I just thought it was interesting. Sega has never manufactured a display before. Let alone a 3D one. It raises the question, why? Is it more likely that Sega is working on a game console with a built-in screen, a 3DS-like portable console, or their first TV/Monitor?

I would guess that it was probably for an arcade system display, one of those big arcade systems that Sega is famous for. Other than that I really have no idea.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post by pcwzrd13 »

stu wrote: I would guess that it was probably for an arcade system display, one of those big arcade systems that Sega is famous for. Other than that I really have no idea.
That's true too. I don't think I've ever heard of a 3D arcade system before though.

I did find Philips use for the tech though:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/10/philips-3d-hdtv/

Also, it seems this is the same tech used by the Nintendo 3DS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereoscopy
PSO Characters:

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

Hey, pcwzrd13. On my new SEGA trademark topic, I posted a newly issued patent for a game machine. The patent was issued on May 24,2011 and contained a drawing for what looks like some sort of laptop/game tablet. Except that it has a dual screen mechanism thats simular to DS, but the prototype in the patent has an oblong shaped D pad and 3 button trigger located on the lower corner of the unit. Some people tried to assume the patent is DS related, but considering that the figure is the size of a laptop, it clearly isn't.

You should check it out. Also use the freepatentsonline link to get a better source for yours.

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

I found a better link for the patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0151944.html

It's probably a 3D stereoscopic engine patent. The patent isn't own by SEGA or Philips. The inventor is actually offering to sell the concept to SEGA Corporation for future use on arcade and console hardware.

Lindbergh
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ooga booga

Post by Lindbergh »

The Sega reference is regarding the screen Sega developed for Let's Go Island 3D.

The patent was filed in early 2010, Sega unveiled the game using the autostereoscopic screen technology at AOU 2011.

Thus it would seem the patent filer was privy to the project in 2009 and early 2010 when the patent was being written up and thus made a reference to it in his filing.

I believe that is all there is to it. Nothing more, Nothing less.

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

Lindbergh wrote:The Sega reference is regarding the screen Sega developed for Let's Go Island 3D.

The patent was filed in early 2010, Sega unveiled the game using the autostereoscopic screen technology at AOU 2011.

Thus it would seem the patent filer was privy to the project in 2009 and early 2010 when the patent was being written up and thus made a reference to it in his filing.

I believe that is all there is to it. Nothing more, Nothing less.
Oh, I see. Then this 3D patent is already in use on the RINGEDGE title "Let's Go Island 3D"?