Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiga CD32 - Cap change (Part 1)

Options
  • 03-07-2022 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭

So the last of my Amiga's, the infamous CD32 is next up for some capacitor love. I remember seeing these in the demo kiosk in Virgin Megastore way back in the day, and it was sheer unobtainium. Nowadays we know it's essentially a consolised 1200, but as with all Amiga's, I still see this as I did back then, an elusive/mysterious console that I could never own....until now!

^^ So, the Spellbound system, revision 3 (I think they're ALL revision 3? Not exactly sure though!) It's a very compact, condensed board. One on hand it's obviously neat and efficient from an electrical point of view, but on the other, it's a pain for capacitor maintenance - there's so much in the way!

^^ A bit of prep work makes the difference here, because you can then just systematically work through the caps and not have to keep stopping to tape/shield everything.

^^ Cap map, all new caps checked to be present and correct, and a veritable anaconda of old caps. There's quite a few caps on the CD32!

^^ Minty fresh caps installed, board also cleaned down with IPA etc etc.

^^ Empty shell given a bath, left to dry, and then wiped down with some mild window cleaner to remove any suddy stains etc. It's a really nice condition shell, no marks or damage anywhere.

^^ Huge sigh of relief, it works after recapping!

^^ Having played Verbatim on the PC Engine CD-Rom, I seen the Amiga CD32 had a port of it too...so I picked that up to test the laser unit out.

^^ Crappy composite for now, but it's great to see it working and safe from any cap leakage. Like my 600 & 1200, I do plan on buying some upgrades for this to finish it off, and I'll create a follow up thread to document those when I get around to it.

Comments

Advertisement