Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard with hard case

SumOne

Any recommendations for a pedalboard with hard case?

I'm eyeing up the Boss BCB 90X  £169 is a bit steep but it looks to be roughly the size I want, tough, has integrated in/outs, PSU, cable routing, and the pedals/pedalboard stay in the case (i.e. it isn't just a case that holds a pedalboard that then gets taken out), fill it with Boss compact pedals and it feels like they'd survive the apocolypse.

Alternatives seem to be things like the the Rockboard Quad with flightcase, but that is £229 and the pedalboard needs taking out of the flightcase and no PSU or in/out, and there are the more budget Tourtech and Stagg hard-cases, get what you pay for though? 

Edited by SumOne

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

They do look great - but definitely a luxury buy!

I imagine they'd be heavy even before being loaded with pedals. As someone who refuses to take a board any bigger than a Nano+ I doubt I'm their target market!

Unless I suddenly get roadies!

they actually arent that bad, but yeh very pricey but i couldnt be happier.

if i didnt have my schmidt id still be using my pedaltrain pro with flight case, just bullet proof.

the boss stuff with inbuilt supply although convenient id always want to go with a seperate unit, for both reliablity and actual sound quality with being able to have isolated outputs.

Edited by 0175westwood29
  • Thanks 1

You could alternatively go for the rockboard abs case. The board can live inside the lid and the lid also has rubber feet for this. And even if I don't have any experience with their flight cases, I'm not convinced you would actually get that much more protection with the flight case.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

the boss stuff with inbuilt supply although convenient id always want to go with a seperate unit, for both reliablity and actual sound quality with being able to have isolated outputs.

This is my main concern, although user reviews seem to all say it's fine. I do have an isolated PSU I could use, would seem a shame to take up that extra space though (and the Boss has no underside for that sort of stuff). I suppose it'd mean I have the Boss power as backup though. 

As I already have an isolated PSU it makes the Pedaltrain Classic Jr + Flight case, or Rockboard 4.2 + ABS or flight case similar sort of size/durability/price to the Boss. So I'll perhaps go for one of them. I guess any of them would be fine. 

Edited by SumOne

There are some T-Rex Tone Trunk 56 boards including hard case for £49 + £10 postage on Reverb at the moment. Not sure if that is suitable for what you are looking for?

I don't even have any pedals at the moment but very tempted to buy one anyway!

Edit to add it can be used in or out of the case.

Edited by Bleat
  • Like 1

Cheers all. I've gone for a Boss BC-90X and am busy filling it with Boss comapct pedals. 

Positives:

• Using as a box for transporting it's really tough. I'm almost certain I could drop it down a staircase and the Boss pedals would still work.
  • The part the pedals sit in comes off, it's low profile and has grips on the opposite side so works well as the pedalboard.
  • Connectors for 1/4" in/out and to run a power supply (included) into to then go out to pedals.
  • Power cables can be routed in channels underneath the foam (when I get around to it!).
  • Low profile when all boxed up.

Negatives:

• Not cheap (£169)....but then again, cheaper than many other options. e.g. a Rockboard 4.2 with ABS case might have been a better option, but that is £206 without a PSU.
  • 2.1mm barrel type main power input that then goes into daisy-chain:  Ideally I'd like a kettle lead input as the 2.1mm barrel power input seems a bit delicate in-case tripped on/pulled/stomped on etc. also isolated outputs would be better in-case of noise from daisy-chaining (that's not a problem with my current pedals though). I'm tempted to take out the in/out power and 1/4" section in the top left and fit my isolated PSU but isn't really needed with these pedals - main benefit woul be making the connection to mains power more sturdy.
  • Doesn't seem the best use of space e.g. if the handle was on the outside like a flight case you'd fit perhaps two more Boss size pedals there and the box wouldn't really take up much more space, and perhaps the 1/4" ins/outs aren't needed as can just go in/out of the first and last pedals. 
  • Cutting the foam and squeezing pedals to grip in is fine if you use pedals of the same size (e.g. all Boss compact) as it grips them in place okay and can move them about easily, it won't be good if adding different sized pedals though. Could just do-away with the foam and use velcro though. 

Overall, pretty good. I'm not blown away by it though.

image.thumb.png.bfc95c53377e5f95e64a7a38cfadd083.png

Edited by SumOne

On 15/10/2023 at 19:27, Bleat said:

There are some T-Rex Tone Trunk 56 boards including hard case for £49 + £10 postage on Reverb at the moment. Not sure if that is suitable for what you are looking for?

I don't even have any pedals at the moment but very tempted to buy one anyway!

Edit to add it can be used in or out of the case.

If you change your mind on the Boss I can vouch for this. It's a solid case (with a bit of storage in the bottom) and a decent pedalboard; I think I've squeezed 13 pedals on to mine? You could get a quality isolated power supply with the extra dosh although it can only fit shallow ones (mine's a slim Voodoo 8). It's an amazing deal at the Reverb price!

All the best whatever you settle on. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/10/2023 at 10:41, AJ567 said:

Pedaltrain classic JR fits perfectly in a Pelican 1550. That's what I use!

Oh my gosh, you genius. I just scored two, possibly three Pelican 1550's and was wondering if I could do a decent both job for a pedalboard! Amazing!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Lo said:

Oh my gosh, you genius. I just scored two, possibly three Pelican 1550's and was wondering if I could do a decent both job for a pedalboard! Amazing!!!!

Nice one! Bear in mind the Classic (newer) JR fits perfect, not sure about the older version of the junior. They're slightly different dimensions 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ567 said:

Nice one! Bear in mind the Classic (newer) JR fits perfect, not sure about the older version of the junior. They're slightly different dimensions 

Tape measure will be consulted! Though, I'll first see what I can do, had ideas of somethung nux bumblebee shaped, only welded together by an impatient and incompetent man!