Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wide

Veteran Member Four Rings BITRBO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by joe@vwvortex View Post
    Yup. You are NOT going to rid this car of understeer - not with that iron 2.7T hanging over the front axles. You can limit it though and you can set up the car to avoid it to a certain degree. You need all the help you can get in the front to assist in turn in weight transfer - the bar helps with this a lot. The key is balance.
    Yup - That's why my next mod after these Pole Positions is moving my full size RedTop to the back corner of the spare tire well... I think hanging that ~40lbs past the rear axles (and somewhat opposite the driver) will really help weight dist and also help lower the car's CG a bit (especially up front).
    '13 C63 AMG -
    '14 Tiguan - sold
    '09 JSW - sold
    '04 GTI - sold
    '01 S4 - sold

Active Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

TPIWWP

I've been looking into both front and rear aero
    We have significant aero improvements to my B5 S4 track car. Reduced drag and improvement in the front to rear downforce. Car is much improved but it has been tricky to dial more front downforce and get weight where we want it on this car for the downforce to match the cars static weight

Veteran Member Three Rings joe@vwvortex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Cayman S, 2014 Q7 TDI and 2000 Boxster S race car

GMG side skirts and fenders are on there - but not bolted to anything. Fit is surprisingly good - but not OEM. Tis ok though - it's a track car. I used the 2.25" wide flares as the 2.5" are too wide for what I'm doing but would be great if you are doing 10" or wider wheels. I'm happy with the fact that the amount of "flare" is very similar to the RS4's in the front. Wheels are 9.5" et35 and will need 15mm spacers for a final et of 20 to clear the inner uprights as the NT01's are over 11" wide and very square.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by *Blue-Angel* View Post
    We have significant aero improvements to my B5 S4 track car. Reduced drag and improvement in the front to rear downforce. Car is much improved but it has been tricky to dial more front downforce and get weight where we want it on this car for the downforce to match the cars static weight
    TPISWWP of the aero

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Looking good so far!
    01.5 Silver S4 6 Speed MT | AWE Boost Gauge, ST Coils, RS4 Reps| Joey H.

Active Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

TPISWWP of the aero
    I will be posting a thread of the build in the near future.

Car looks good though buddy, your deff getting there. Slowly but surely leaving the streetable phase lol. Welcome to the dark side.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I will be posting a thread of the build in the near future.

Car looks good though buddy, your deff getting there. Slowly but surely leaving the streetable phase lol. Welcome to the dark side.
    Oh - it left the street phase - but not quite entered the full track phase when I bought this.........

I've begun taking stuff out - I'll be pulling the seats out next to get the carpet out. Airbags are next as well as the headliner. Nothing is left behind the front seats except the rear windows and regulators and a bit of sound deadening material.

I'm looking at rear wings and front splitters - would appreciate your input.

Veteran Member Three Rings lo-lyfe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 tuned & lifted F350 6.0 Powerstroke, 1990 built Ford Bronco 5.0l 302, Built Stage 3 b5s4

^ I think I'm leaning towards the same degree of weight reduction. Are you guys aware of any shop/company that manufactures CF or aluminum door cards for the B5?
    Stay tuned...

Active Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Plenty weight left to take out then. Sound deadening material adds up quite quick as well as the wiring and shit behind the door cards. Biggest thing for you to do of course is watch the rules for your category. I have no rules so I have built my S4 to be the fastest it could possibly be by making whatever modifications I have pleased to do. Aero is a grand example. You may need to watch the degree of your spoiler and length, or if you use a wing the length of chord, height above deck or distance below roof line and how far back the wing is etc. In the Front if Candards and/or Vortex Generators are allowed and maximum length of your splitter. Once you figure out your rules I can certainly help you with placement of all those items for maximum effect on this car. You also will need to know your static weight on the car as well. Pull all the shit that you can out of the car, abide to your rules and regulations while doing so and get the car weighed with a front to rear weight distribution. That would be my next advice. Depending on the weight of the car now I am assuming/guessing you have another 300-400lbs maximum you can pull from the car until you hit that point where each pound becomes extremely expensive to remove and in most cases not worth it.

Forum Moderator Four Rings A4Rob's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looks great Joe
    Instagram r_michals

'12 Q7 TDI- Glacier White
    B5 A4 track car -PVW Nov. 2009. SOLD
    B7 A4 2.7T swapped with K04s- SOLD

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Plenty weight left to take out then. Sound deadening material adds up quite quick as well as the wiring and shit behind the door cards. Biggest thing for you to do of course is watch the rules for your category. I have no rules so I have built my S4 to be the fastest it could possibly be by making whatever modifications I have pleased to do. Aero is a grand example. You may need to watch the degree of your spoiler and length, or if you use a wing the length of chord, height above deck or distance below roof line and how far back the wing is etc. In the Front if Candards and/or Vortex Generators are allowed and maximum length of your splitter. Once you figure out your rules I can certainly help you with placement of all those items for maximum effect on this car. You also will need to know your static weight on the car as well. Pull all the shit that you can out of the car, abide to your rules and regulations while doing so and get the car weighed with a front to rear weight distribution. That would be my next advice. Depending on the weight of the car now I am assuming/guessing you have another 300-400lbs maximum you can pull from the car until you hit that point where each pound becomes extremely expensive to remove and in most cases not worth it.
    Yeah - last time I had it corner balanced the car weighed in at 3167 with most of what I've taken out still in it. I'm probably a bit under 3100 now - but not sure with the bigger tires and wheels and new body parts.

Active Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Aahhhh yes you have about 300 or slightly more you can remover before that point. Last time I weighed in at 2975 and the car has lost more weight since then. In not too concerned about the weight as I am in getting the weight distribution where I want it. When all said and done i am looking for 54/46 split. That is what my aero as well as suspension and brake systems have been engineered for.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Aahhhh yes you have about 300 or slightly more you can remover before that point. Last time I weighed in at 2975 and the car has lost more weight since then. In not too concerned about the weight as I am in getting the weight distribution where I want it. When all said and done i am looking for 54/46 split. That is what my aero as well as suspension and brake systems have been engineered for.
    If I get under 3k i'll be pretty happy - considering I want a full cage which will add back a fair amount of weight.

Active Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Do you have a half now?

3 is very reasonable considering their Is a iron block and two turbos etc and a steel frame. Only so light this heavy pig can go.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Do you have a half now?

3 is very reasonable considering their Is a iron block and two turbos etc and a steel frame. Only so light this heavy pig can go.
    Yup - half cage now.