What's new

robbiederhase

Student
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'd please like a little help getting my Naomi 2 set up with a CF reader dimm board i got from axunworks.

So I run a little game/music/collectibles shop in socal and I have a small arcade section for guests to come play.
I bought a blast city just to run a Naomi 2 board specifically. After acquiring (i believe) everything I need, I'm realizing both the Blast City and the Naomi are basically a foreign language to me as someone who has only ever dealt with a New Astro City, a Tecmo Kyotaro, and an MVS... Below I have some images I've taken of my current kit and Blast City's wiring spaghetti.
Can somebody basically draw me a diagram of where everything needs to be plugged into? I'm much more of a visual learner in aspects such as this.
I know it might seem a bit of a juvenile question and I'm sorry ahead of time but I just don't want to risk frying anything.

The bundle I bought included a GD-Rom drive, and a stock Net Dimm but know I won't need them for this setup.
However it did come with one of those bootleg Capcom i/o boards.. I have no clue how to set that up with a kick harness.
I bought a CPSII kick harness but didn't notice the port was a completely different shape until it arrived. On top of that it doesn't seem like anyone makes after market harnesses for it..
At a complete loss there and at this point just looking for a cheap (real) Capcom i/o if I do in fact need one. (running many games with full 6 button layout)
It's just been a matter of finding one for less than $300....... Many sellers I've shot offers at on ebay would then immediately hike the price up on the listing, it's fucking ridiculous....
Importing one from yahoo auctions at the moment is also basically pointless with how much shipping between middle men is.
I also don't entirely know if i need one of those power cables for the capcom i/o. I see many go for sale in tandem with one but my bundle didn't include it.

I'm more than happy to answer any other questions for gaps in information I may have forgotten to include.
Bonus points if anybody is in the Chino CA area and wants to come visit the shop to help me set it up honestly!

Again, sorry for the dumb questions.
Just at my wits end here and want to avoid destroying anything involved in my money sink lol.
thank you!

Attachments

• CqkbnK34.jpg
    CqkbnK34.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 208
  • J0zGLyl6.jpg
    J0zGLyl6.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Love that custom CF card dimm board! you don't necessarily need a Capcom IO, I would get a rev. B Sega Jamma/JVS IO board (part no. 838-13683-93), cheaper and less power hungry, I run a Naomi in a Blast with that and it's fine and you can wire up a kick harness to it. You can either run it off the stock Blast PSU as you have the 001 loom with JVS power and audio already or you can hook up the Sun PSU with a spare 100v feed in the cab which would be my recommendation.

So in short, I would find a spare blue/pink 100v feed, splice to feed the Sun PSU, use that to power your Naomi directly.
Purchase a Sega Jamma/JVS rev. B IO board and wire up the kick loom from CN8 on the Blast IO to the Sega IO board, I would avoid using that bootleg IO board.

Love that custom CF card dimm board! you don't necessarily need a Capcom IO, I would get a rev. B Sega Jamma/JVS IO board (part no. 838-13683-93), cheaper and less power hungry, I run a Naomi in a Blast with that and it's fine and you can wire up a kick harness to it. You can either run it off the stock Blast PSU as you have the 001 loom with JVS power and audio already or you can hook up the Sun PSU with a spare 100v feed in the cab which would be my recommendation.

So in short, I would find a spare blue/pink 100v feed, splice to feed the Sun PSU, use that to power your Naomi directly.
Purchase a Sega Jamma/JVS rev. B IO board and wire up the kick loom from CN8 on the Blast IO to the Sega IO board, I would avoid using that bootleg IO board.
Thank you, Chunk! Axunworks does some incredible work. As a first time buyer from them at least (and only from a visual standpoint as I haven't gotten it running lol.)
I was aware the Sega IO were much much cheaper but was reading conflicting reports on both sides regarding their longevity and ease of use...
Honestly should have gone for it but in a frustrated stupor yesterday i went ahead and caved on a much too expensive Capcom IO...
I think my reasoning was basically, "well. now I have a CPSII kick harness.. might as well.."
But thank you for the recommendation regardless, it's much appreciated.

Maybe I'll switch over to a Sega IO eventually and sell off the Capcom IO but for now I'll just go forward with it...
I know you said you're a Sega IO user but would you happen to know the setup of my kit with the Capcom IO?
The point of making the thread was not being able to find any solid instructions besides a video on youtube but the user has a Naomi 1.
Which I know has a different setup to the Naomi 2 so I'm terrified of breaking anything.
Thank you much again!

I don't see any reason to put a Sun PSU inside a Blast. The Blast PSU is more than capable to run a Naomi (2).

The Sega rev. B IO is also perfect for the Blast. The Capcom IO has extra functionality that you don't need (3.3V power and audio amp), plus it has more lag.

The point of making the thread was not being able to find any solid instructions besides a video on youtube but the user has a Naomi 1.
Which I know has a different setup to the Naomi 2 so I'm terrified of breaking anything.

Naomi 2 is set up exactly the same as N1.

I don't see any reason to put a Sun PSU inside a Blast. The Blast PSU is more than capable to run a Naomi (2).

The Sega rev. B IO is also perfect for the Blast. The Capcom IO has extra functionality that you don't need (3.3V power and audio amp), plus it has more lag.

Naomi 2 is set up exactly the same as N1.
So I've found a rev b sega io.
Go ahead and grab this guy?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-SEGA-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Will probably just cancel my cap io order if I can.

Also I have no clue what kick harnesses look like for these either... Much more familiar with CPS and CPSII... Can someone link me in the right direction if that's okay?
And I don't need any external power for the rev b io either? just power from the jamma edge?
Sorry, just want to make sure..

Are you sure it doesn't need a different configuration with an io board? I was watching a lemony vengence video and he mentioned that the capcom io can only handle power from an N1 in some ways opposed to another setup with an N2.
View: https://youtu.be/UJbeZrDv00I

Thank you!

That looks OK, however, it is a bit expensive. I've never paid more than 50 euros for the ones I have had.

Also I have no clue what kick harnesses look like for these either... Much more familiar with CPS and CPSII... Can someone link me in the right direction if that's okay?

Buttons 4 and 5 are on the jamma edge, for button 6 there's an auxiliary connector. It's a JST NH connector, I'm sure someone like Lemony can make you a kick harness for it.

And I don't need any external power for the rev b io either? just power from the jamma edge?

Correct

I was watching a lemony vengence video and he mentioned that the capcom io can only handle power from an N1 in some ways opposed to another setup with an N2.

The Capcom IO doesn't provide enough amps to power a N2. It's not a concern to you. The Blast PSU has 12A rails for both +3.3V and +5V (which is actually more than what a Sun PSU has).

The kick harness in a Blast has 2 parts, under the CP there is a 10 pin kick connector that handles buttons 4-6 for both players. That goes through the cab wiring and comes out on the main cab IO panel at CN8, an 8 pin connector. You can make your own kick harness using JST NH plugs, an 8 pin for the Blast IO end and whichever connector you need on the other end, a 10 pin JST NH plug for a CPS1 for example but in this case you want to go from CN8 to CN3 on the Sega IO which has 14 pins.

The Blast IO kick connector pinout:

1: P1 GND
2. P2 GND
3. P1 Button 4
4. P2 Button 4
5. P1 Button 5
6. P2 Button 5
7. P1 Button 6
8. P2 Button 6

The Sega Jamma/JVS IO has a 14 pin connector, the pinout is here:

1. 5VDC Out
2. 5VDC Out
3. 5VDC Out
4. P1 button 6
5. P1 button 7
6. P1 button 8
7. P1 button 9
8. P2 button 6
9. P2 button 7
10. P2 button 8
11. P2 button 9
12. GND
13. GND
14. GND

@nem is right about the Blast PSU, the only reason I mentioned the Sun was I had trouble powering a Chihiro in my cab so added a Sun PSU to mine.

The kick harness in a Blast has 2 parts, under the CP there is a 10 pin kick connector that handles buttons 4-6 for both players. That goes through the cab wiring and comes out on the main cab IO panel at CN8, an 8 pin connector. You can make your own kick harness using JST NH plugs, an 8 pin for the Blast IO end and whichever connector you need on the other end, a 10 pin JST NH plug for a CPS1 for example but in this case you want to go from CN8 to CN3 on the Sega IO which has 14 pins.

The Blast IO kick connector pinout:

1: P1 GND
2. P2 GND
3. P1 Button 4
4. P2 Button 4
5. P1 Button 5
6. P2 Button 5
7. P1 Button 6
8. P2 Button 6

The Sega Jamma/JVS IO has a 14 pin connector, the pinout is here:

1. 5VDC Out
2. 5VDC Out
3. 5VDC Out
4. P1 button 6
5. P1 button 7
6. P1 button 8
7. P1 button 9
8. P2 button 6
9. P2 button 7
10. P2 button 8
11. P2 button 9
12. GND
13. GND
14. GND

@nem is right about the Blast PSU, the only reason I mentioned the Sun was I had trouble powering a Chihiro in my cab so added a Sun PSU to mine.
Is it possible to actually just order a plug that fits the 14 pin kick port on the Sega IO and t h e n disassemble this now spare CPSII kick harness and wire it directly to my buttons? Just to forgo having to make any extra harnesses that wire to the ports inside the CP? A pandora box that came with the cab has a CPS kick harness that goes directly from the elf adapter board straight to the kick buttons. pulled through a gap in the control panel I've seen others do this with the Capcom IO and what I was planning to do as well... Would this be the same case? I know it's not the prettiest route but I have plenty of zip ties and adhesive clips to keep it tidy.

Could someone explain to me which of these are kicks? I'm guessing the blue circle.
If so. What does the red jst do? (Red circle

Attachments

• 20220305_165445.jpg
    20220305_165445.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 86
Could someone explain to me which of these are kicks? I'm guessing the blue circle.
If so. What does the red jst do? (Red circle
Red circle is a power header, if the IO is not powered by JAMMA
Blue circle is Analog
Buttons 1-5 are JAMMA edge (4 and 5 extend past button 3 like on neo geo etc)
Buttons 6+ are on the header to the left of your red circle.

Red circle is a power header, if the IO is not powered by JAMMA
Blue circle is Analog
Buttons 1-5 are JAMMA edge (4 and 5 extend past button 3 like on neo geo etc)
Buttons 6+ are on the header to the left of your red circle.
Thank you.
Do you know the part number for the 14 pin jst connector? I'm assuming pin 4 and 8 are kick 6 for p1/p2 and I just need to grab a ground off pin 14?

Attachments

• 20220305_172231.jpg
    20220305_172231.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 61
Thank you.
Do you know the part number for the 14 pin jst connector? I'm assuming pin 4 and 8 are kick 6 for p1/p2 and I just need to grab a ground off pin 14?

Correct, and Pin 14 will work fine for GND.

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/JVS#Sega_838-13683-93

Kick/Extra buttons​

CN3 is a 14-pin JST_NH connector, when jumper JP1 in position B:
  • 5 buttons pr player, all on jamma edge
  • 8 general purpose driver outputs on CN3
Jumper JP1 in position A:
  • No general purpose outputs
  • 9 Buttons pr player, with buttons 6-9 via CN3:
1 - 5VDC Out
2 - 5VDC Out
3 - 5VDC Out
4 - P1 button 6
5 - P1 button 7
6 - P1 button 8
7 - p1 button 9
8 - p2 button 6
9 - p2 button 7
10 - p2 button 8
11 - p2 button 9
12 - GND
13 - GND
14 - GND

Bear in mind if you hadn't gathered from the posts above you need to wire your buttons 4 and 5 and their grounds to the 15 pin connectors under the control panel so they reach the jamma edge, you mentioned they are only wired directly via a separate kick loom. Buttons 4 and 5 will go straight to the connectors, splice the grounds to the existing daisy chained grounds.

The pinout is here: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City_Wiring_Guide

The pins you need are
TE Connectivity, AMP Universal Power Female Crimp Terminal Contacts

it would be great to see how it is internally as that dimm; How did you position the CF adapter internally?

it would be great to see how it is internally as that dimm; How did you position the CF adapter internally?
I did not make the dimm, a guy who makes a lot of custom hardware out of china called Axunworks did. I'd also like to see under the metal shielding how it's positioned but there's a big ol' warranty sticker across the seam that I don't want to mess with before even having gotten my Naomi running lol.

I did not make the dimm, a guy who makes a lot of custom hardware out of china called Axunworks did. I'd also like to see under the metal shielding how it's positioned but there's a big ol' warranty sticker across the seam that I don't want to mess with before even having gotten my Naomi running lol.
well then to wait for it to work or the warranty expires, I want to do the same but with a DIMM that only has CF 😅

My experience the Capcom JVS on Naomi 1 works fine and when you play Naomi1 games on Naomi2 with Capcom JVS power it works fine. now if you play Naomi2 games on Naomi2 using Capcom JVS the console turns off after 2 hours of play and the Capcom JVS is left with a very hot case. The testing was done with 4 different Capcom JVS in different conditions (New, Semi-New, Used and Used-Worn). Honestly for a Naomi 2 I recommend using a PC or ATX power supply and to avoid any kind of inconvenience during its use. Even so, I have read that this problem does not happen in the new Naomi2 without use, could it be the wear of the console? That's a good question.

Alright everyone I have an update.

Lemony was kind enough to make me a custom adapter that also uses the CPS2 kick harness i had lying around.
Now having the Rev. 2 Sega IO board it snaps in perfectly.

However... I decided to boot everything up and I just get a black screen.
The N2 boots up (I can hear the fan turning) and the speakers have audible clicks every so often.
But other than that nothing... What am I doing wrong??
The VGA is also plugged into the monitor chassis.
The dips are all pushed down for the 31k display.

I made a little video just in case I have anything set up incorrectly and someone else may be able to notice my mistake.
Thanks much, everyone. Hoping I can get this solved...

View: https://youtu.be/JNzUCB1f4rs

Back