What's new

caius

Grand Master
Reaction score
Some months ago the user 'parodius' kindly loaned me a couple of ultra-rare add-on cards for the FM Towns Marty console, a video game console released in 1993 by Fujitsu, exclusively for the Japanese market.

They were a RAM expansion and a SCSI cards :

Marty_RAM_SCSI_cards.jpg

Since these cards are extrely hard to find (they popped up on Yahoo Japan Auction very few times) I took the chance to reproduce them.I started from the RAM expansion which is a nice add-on since it allows you to play on Marty some games that require more than 2MB of RAM.While reproducing it I stayed as close as possible to the original board layout, here is a side-by-side :

original_vs_reproduction.jpg

Here's the reproduction plugged into the rear expansion port of the Marty console :

reproduction_plugged.jpg

Successfully tested it with Super Street Fighter II :

Thanks again to 'parodius' for the loan.

This is so sick. I already have your 'The Thing' fdd emulator. Let's complete the set!
Was there any case for this card? Seems unsafe to just leave it without a proper case. Maybe 3D print something?

What does the SCSI card work with?

This is amazing. Always happy to see the Marty get some love. Great work!!

What does the SCSI card work with?
The SCSI is for connecting an hard disk (real or emulator) to the FM Towns Marty, in this way you can use software that requires an hard disk installation.

Was there any case for this card? Seems unsafe to just leave it without a proper case. Maybe 3D print something?

There is no case like the original card.Anywaw, 3D printing are welcome :)

Oh man! thank you Caius, will definitely get two of each whenever you decide to put them out!

Oh man! thank you Caius, will definitely get two of each whenever you decide to put them out!
OK, I will reserve two units for you.If someone else is interested I can do here some kind of pre-order list.

OK, I will reserve two units for you.If someone else is interested I can do here some kind of pre-order list.
I am interested in the RAM upgrade card. What's the anticipated pricing though?

Price has been not yet decided, all I can say is that involved parts are not really cheap (especially RAMs chips and connector)

Still unsure what practical effect having the scsi card will have. Can you detail what we can do with it?

Still unsure what practical effect having the scsi card will have. Can you detail what we can do with it?

Some FM Towns games/software do require to install on hard disk some data in order to boot.WIth this SCSI card you can connect to your Marty a SCSI hard disk and install this software.I hope it's clear now :)

Hello again Caius I have one further question, once we put both upgrades (SCSI + RAM) into the FM Towns Marty, do you know which of the FM Towns computer models this will be equivalent to?
Fm Towns UX series maybe?

Would the Marty achieve harware parity with one of the specific computer models?

Hello again Caius I have one further question, once we put both upgrades (SCSI + RAM) into the FM Towns Marty, do you know which of the FM Towns computer models this will be equivalent to?

Would the Marty achieve harware parity with one of the specific computer models?
This is a good question, anyway both cards cannot be installed at same time because they must plugged in same connector.A solution would be to design a single add-on board with both SCSI and RAM capabilities (not planned now).

Good question,

I know the tower has a 486 in some models but the marty is limited to a 386 and thus cannot play the larger library like it's sibling. I would imagine it would take some technical feat to overclock or replace the proc if at all possible to have parity between the PC and Console.

Ah I see now, thank you for clarifying guys. Still a nice addition for the marty.

I don't own a Marty but saw this thread & find it incredible what people are are making home-brew in this day & age to support the retro scene :thumbup:

Back