PDA

View Full Version : Games that work well with DosBox

ArnimS
2008-01-21, 05:20
This is a thread for ppl to post games that work well with dosbox (http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html) on their tablets.

There are a number of reasons why many dos games don't work well: mouse problems, performance problems, dosbox incompatibility, no sdl support for FN key on n810 (EDIT: fixed temporarily) etc etc etc.

So if you try something and it works fairly well, drop a brief post here, with program name, tablet type, dosbox version, .dosboxrc settings, and list compatibility issues.

------------------
Defender of the Crown
Dosbox 0.72 chinook (n8x0) build #1
vga mode, pc speaker, cycles 1400, frameskip 3
Runs/installs fine on n810. Higher cycles disrupt the sound. No keyboard incompatibilities found yet.

------------------
Ultima V
vga/tandy mode, pc speaker, cycles 1200-2900, frameskip 3
Runs/installs fine on n810. Number keys not working. Very fast in tandy mode, slower in vga mode.

jmayson
2008-01-21, 15:37
Where did you find DOSBOX for your tablet? I looked (granted not hard) and couldn't find it. The old Sierra games work on my iBook with DOSBOX and I curious about the N810.

jmayson
2008-01-23, 16:05
Okay, I found it. Pretty cool!!

I was playing King's Quest II last night. Leisure Suit Larry III didn't seem to work. I had sound, but no video. Didn't really play with it beyond that, could be a dosbox.conf tweak.

Bundyo
2008-01-23, 16:41
@jmayson: change the display to vga (the default is tandy i think).

---------------------
Lands of Lore
vga mode, no sound, cycles 700-800, frameskip 0
Runs quite well on N800+OS2008. You can run with sound with almost no impact on performance, better use sb1 or sb2. No keyboard or cursor incompatibilities found yet.

---------------------------------
World of Xeen (Clouds + Dark Side)
vga mode, no sound, cycles 700-800, frameskip 0
Runs pretty slow on N800+OS2008. Sound has big impact on performance, not recommended. The actual mouse click is not where you really click, moves around on a strange scheme, maybe something to do with the pixel doubling, but i didn't investigate further. Since it is also slow, turns overall quite unplayable.

CyberCat
2008-01-24, 00:27
Universially in DosBox it seems to be impossible to type anything with numbers or symbols (anything requiring Fn) and the mouse doesn't appear where you tap. Sound also seems distorted or something.

Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers get all the girls
vga mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 0
New screens are slow to load but it's full color with sound. Being a text-based game performance isn't such an issue. Performance while typing is normal. Cursor is not where you point.

ZZT
tandy mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 0
Seems to work just as well as on a regular computer

Ultima Underworld
vga mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 2
Runs, a little slow but usable on low detail settings. Unfortunately unplayable due to lack of right-click which is required to pick up objects, talk to people, open doors, fight, etc.

ArnimS
2008-01-24, 17:28
Thanks for the great feedback. What we can do is set up special per-game keymaps (like that right shift thing for Underworld) then include those into the (upcoming) front-end!

Keep em coming.

CyberCat
2008-01-26, 23:30
Sweet! Hopefully we'll be able to get a lot of games working properly on DosBox with the Nokias.

Jazz Jackrabbit (registered CD version)
vga mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 2-20
Unplayablely slow, getting around 1 frame per 5 seconds or less, menu takes about 4 minutes to show up. After another 4 minutes to get to the episode selection I finally gave up. (on DosBox on my PC it takes about 4 seconds. I tried experimenting with different settings, tandy does not work. I tripped upping frameskip to 20, it helps at first, but it quickly slows down again. Sound plays OK and sounds like it does on my PC, although it gets "slowed" down pretty quick with the graphics.

One Must Fall: 2097
vga mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 2-20
Again, unplayablely slow, even with high frameskip, no tandy mode. Disabling sound in setup makes no improvement. Less than 1fps average, impossibly bad for a 2D fighting game.

Jill of the Jungle (any of 3 episodes)
vga/tandy mode, sb16 sound, cycles 800, frameskip 2-6
Pretty slow but semi-playable, better than the previous two. No "alt" key means that you can't throw your weapon, basically a show stopper beyond level 1 or 2. The PC speaker sound effects get annoying pretty quick. This game normally has a midi sound track.

LodC
2008-01-27, 09:49
The Dark Heart of Uukrul

Works great on N800 with latest build, in Tandy mode. :D
This is incredibly cool. It runs practically "full speed", and this is a turn based game so the experience is perfectly fine.

Is there any way to get the diagonal arrow keys using a Stowaway bt keyboard? :confused:

Addison
2008-02-07, 20:25
PGA Tour Golf

Review, screenshots, and download can be found here:
http://abandonia.com/en/games/1021/PGA+Tour+Golf.html

Things changed from ArnimS's sample dosbox.conf file:
fullscreen=false
machine=vga
frameskip=0
cycles=972 (this might not be optimum however)

Screenshot:
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8780/pgatourgolfkg1.png

Plays perfect, no complaints whatsoever except for I don't know how to set up the sound and music correctly. A little help from someone on this perhaps? I'm not too good with understanding the whole dosbox.conf file thing when it comes to speaker output, even with ArnimS's comments added in there.

Known problems: Use xkbd keyboard when going through the initial setup menus. For some reason, the mouse will crash Dosbox when asking if a player is human or computer.

The rest of the time, all you need to use is the Dpad for direction and tapping on the screen (anywhere) for the initial swing, power, and accuracy.

Overall rating for this game: 5 stars out of 5

This was my first chance to test out your new build ArnimS, and dude, this is way too cool!

Thanks again for all of the good work you have put into this project! :)

throwawayCA
2008-02-21, 05:59
The old DOS ports of the ICOM games (shadowgate, deja vu 1 & 2, uninvited) seems to be working, will post again later if any bugs or repeat-crashes arise. great mouse-based abandonware, i only wish there were a way to play the OG MacOS versions, they were prettier and higher-resolution, albeit in B&W... (it's like playing your favorite childhood games TURNERIZED!)

ArnimS
2008-02-21, 06:33
PGA Tour Golf

Thanks again for all of the good work you have put into this project! :)

Thank you for the excellent vertical keyboard.

spirytsick
2008-02-21, 12:10
The old DOS ports of the ICOM games (shadowgate, deja vu 1 & 2, uninvited) seems to be working, will post again later if any bugs or repeat-crashes arise. great mouse-based abandonware, i only wish there were a way to play the OG MacOS versions, they were prettier and higher-resolution, albeit in B&W... (it's like playing your favorite childhood games TURNERIZED!)

If they were for the 68k based macs then you might be able to play it with Basilisk. There is a thread in the forum about mac emulation already. Give it a try.

bluesubaru
2008-02-24, 06:37
------------------
Warcraft 1 (floppy version)
Dosbox 0.72 chinook (n800)
sound choppy above 700 cpu.
With no sound and 3000 cpu game ran, but slow. Not playable at this speed.

kitsu
2008-02-28, 18:08
Master of Orion
Dosbox 0.72 chinook (n800)
Mouse sensitivity 50
You need to calibrate (shove the cursor against the edge of the screen) frequently but it seems to work. I haven't tested sound but it isn't important for this game anyway ;)

MikeL
2008-03-06, 18:41
LBA1
Dosbox 0.72 chinook (n810)
Direct copy of game files from PC to mmc2 with no resetting of params to run on N810. Runs very slow, is not playable.

No real idea what I am doing to get best setup, but here are the screenshots of start of game on my N810 ;)

Window Mode
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2374/2314324715_e26c550369_o.png

FullScreen Mode
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2252/2314324845_e470b02de2_o.png

Not bad for my very first attempt at running an old DOS Game with dosbox on initially my PC and then N810 :)

The game is simple to control. The main controls are :-

Arrow keys to move Twinsen
Spacebar as action button
[Alt] to use your weapon
[Shift] to access the inventory

You use [Ctrl] to switch between the unique four behaviour modes which give the gameplay an extra dimension.

Normal - This mode is used for walking, to talk to people and to interact with objects. Nearly every object in the game is interactive You can get health points, magic points and keys out of trashcans and flower boxes, read posters and signs, and control switches.
Athletic - With this mode you can run and jump. It is mostly used to explore scenes and run past enemies.
Aggressive - This mode is used as an addition to the use of your magic ball, your initial weapon that bounces and returns automatically after you’ve thrown it.
Discreet - This mode is used to sneak around. You mainly need it to sneak past enemies or to hide for them.

MikeL
2008-03-11, 23:45
Further messing with various settings for LBA1 and its almost playable :) on my n810 via dosbox/rubybox ;) (thanks guys, had fun trying to get LBA1 to run reliably)

I used rubybox to allow me to quickly change dosbox basic parameters and see results in game.

cpu cycles 1200
sblaster sbtype sb1

With above settings and with LBA1 set to lowest sympathetic game settings via its own setup.exe and options in game, produces a game that is almost playable with uninterrupted sound!. (game looks good on N810 displayed fullscreen)

Note: you can read help.txt of LBA1 via setup.exe for optimum dos settings and pc requirements ;)

The game menu and keyboard control is generally slow and requires long key-presses to ensure user interaction is understood by game? (would love to know what else to tweak to improve interaction speed)

Addison
2008-03-15, 05:27
Monopoly Deluxe

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8965/monopolysi5.png

Basic settings:
Executable: MONOPOLY.BAT
cpu cycles: 500
dosbox machine: vga
render frameskip: 0
sblaster sbtype: sb1
sdl fullscreen: true
sdl sensitivity: 200 (it's the best setting even though it's not the greatest)

This is how my MONOPOLY.BAT is set up:
mp DIGI=SBLASTER.COM

I'm sure that this game could be screaming fast, but I chose slower settings to get better sound quality during gameplay.

If you want the MIDI music to run, which I didn't use, you'll need to run the INSTALL.BAT file and drop the cycles down even further to 400.

The game has loads of options and a neat little system to create your own personal hot-keys.

I made my own so I thought I'd might as well share them in case anyone is interested.

Just copy the MP.INI to overwrite your old one.

The right on-screen keyboard goes hand in hand with the settings in that file.

To get the left keyboard running it's:
xkbd -geometry +65536+65536 -k /media/mmc2/x.xkbd

To get the right keyboard running it's:
xkbd -geometry +722+65536 -k /media/mmc2/m.xkbd

Known problems:
First, the game takes about 90 seconds to load up.
Second, since xkbd still isn't all too friendly with the keys "a-z", you might be best to avoid them, even when trying to use them as capital letters.
I'm not sure of this, but I think the game will crash if you're pressing on the virtual keyboards while the pieces are moving on the board.
Since the mouse kind of blows, it is possible to do almost everything using the D-Pad, Center D-Pad/Enter, Select/Space, Roll/Backspace, and Tab buttons. It just takes a little getting used to, that's all.
Lastly, it's absolutely essential that you apply the 1.50 patch to the game since it fixes numerous bugs and makes the animations run much better on slower machines.

Here's where you can find the patch:
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng&sys=pc&file=mddos150.zip&ref=ps

This has so many in game options to customize, I think most of you will really like it even if you're one who thinks that Monopoly is just for ******s and small farm animals. :D

Here's my personal files:

Post a reply if you're having any trouble getting it all together.

ArnimS
2008-03-15, 08:05
...small farm animals. :D

Thanks Addison, that looks awesome :) It would be nice if nokia would give us a keyboard that worked... with all X apps, wouldn't it?

hmm?

Addison
2008-03-15, 16:12
Thanks Addison, that looks awesome It would be nice if nokia would give us a keyboard that worked... with all X apps, wouldn't it?

I THINK THAT THEY SHOULD BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW!!!! :p

Hey dude, I've got a question for you.

Here's my /usr/bin/dosboxkbd file
#!/bin/sh
xkbd -geometry +65536+65536 -k /media/mmc2/x.xkbd
xkbd -geometry +722+65536 -k /media/mmc2/m.xkbd

If I load up the game in Rubybox then just the left keyboard fires up.

So then I close Dosbox and return back to Rubybox, then the right keyboard fires up.

So then I start the game once again in Rubybox and I'll have both keyboards on the screen.

Is there a way to dual boot two keyboards at the same time or is the best method of doing this?

Thanks chief!

Addison
2008-03-16, 19:01
Ironman Ivan Stewart's Super Offroad

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2392/offroadbw0.png

Basic settings:
Executable: IRONMAN.BAT
cpu cycles: 500
dosbox machine: vga
render frameskip: 0
sblaster sbtype: sb1
sdl fullscreen: true
sdl mapperfile: /usr/share/dosbox/offroad.txt

First I ran SETUP inside the game folder and selected
MCGA/VGA

Okay, so the music and the sound effects go hand in hand together.
Meaning, that if you want quality sound effects, you're stuck listening to the music which chunks up really bad in the game.

Here's a nifty solution though... Use a Hex Editor such as Hex Workshop, it can be found here:
http://www.bpsoft.com/downloads/

Now using Hex Worshop or whatever editor you're using, open up the GAME.EXE file.

Change the values of these two hex locations:

457E: 5032 to C332
and
45D8: A084 to C384

Now you'll have great sound effects in the game without the music in the background which is worse than listening to pots and pans banging together. :D

Also, since Xkbd is really goosey, I just mapped all of the keys so you don't need to use the virtual keyboard.

Here's how they are mapped:
Zoom out - 3
Full Screen - a
Zoom in - q
Left D Pad - z
Right D Pad - v
Up D Pad - x
Down D Pad -c
Escape key - n

So once you fire up the game, you can close out the virtual keyboard.
When it asks the question "Are you using a joystick?", press the Escape key (top button just below the D Pad).
When it asks "Please select sound:" press the Zoom out key.

The left and right D Pad buttons are for hard turns.
The up and down D Pad buttons are for lesser hard turns.
Full screen button if for gas.
Zoom in key is for nitro.

Overall rating for this game: 4 stars out of 5

The controls are a little awkward so if there's anyone that can figure out how to map the keys so that Xkbd will work during a race, I'll make a special keyboard just for this game.

As always, any gripes, complaints, comments, observations, words of wisdom, feats of magic, or links to websites that contain pictures of fat chicks wearing party hats, please post a response or send me a private message. :D

Super Offroad mapper file for keys

Pushwall
2008-03-17, 15:29
That's really cool, Addison. I'll have to check it out. I know I've got that game in a box in my basement somewhere.....it's just finding it. Thanks for all info on getting this to work with DosBox. :)

OppositeOfIgnorance
2008-03-17, 17:02
this is great
except Dosbox is ****ing useless without a bluetooth keyboard

MikeL
2008-03-17, 17:56
this is great
except Dosbox is ****ing useless without a bluetooth keyboardNot entirely true. The N810 has a keyboard and work has been done on use of virtual key layouts utilising the blank areas of touchscreen either side of typical game 4:3 video image. What is interesting is that as NITs become more powerful even more old retro games will become playable.

OppositeOfIgnorance
2008-03-17, 18:36
i have an n800 and i dont have an iGo
what do i do?

OSEmuTech
2008-03-17, 18:46
Downgrade to OS 2007 like I did to use xkbd with DOSbox (or buy an iGo/N810).

I'm with you ... I wish I could use xkbd on OS 2008. It's still too buggy.

bow_22
2008-03-17, 20:50
Dune 2 and Ascendancy work almost perfect. Great games!

Addison
2008-03-17, 21:28
That's really cool, Addison. I'll have to check it out. I know I've got that game in a box in my basement somewhere.....it's just finding it. Thanks for all info on getting this to work with DosBox.

Hey Push!

Yeah, I probably should have done a mini review for Super Off Road because I absolutely love this game. It's racing awesomeness that runs on all cylinders! I owned, or used to own, four different versions of this at one time.

I remember back in the day when the Super Nintendo version was the first game I ever piped through my stereo speakers because the audio was so incredible.

I'm sure it probably sounds like Colecovision now with all of the new technology out today so it kind of makes you wonder exactly how dumb we were back then, huh? :D

Anyway, the only reason I didn't give it a better score was because the D Pad is just a little to "clicky" for me which has nothing to do with the game itself. It would be nice if we could get this to have some type of touch screen support.

It's definitely a great arcade action time waster that's filled with mindless fluffy fun of meaningless dribble.

Hope you can getting it running. :D

asqwasqw
2008-03-17, 21:53
um, oregon trail maybe?

bow_22
2008-03-17, 22:18
I've tried HMM, it works, but very slow, almost unplayble:(

OppositeOfIgnorance
2008-03-17, 22:36
forget it then
im not wasting all that time reflashing for some silly old games that dont even work smoothly

Addison
2008-03-18, 03:38
Okay, forgive my foolish newbiness, but I'm curious about something here.

I decided to change the shift key on my left sided keyboard to caps lock.

Now the keyboard is working all peachy even though letters aren't capitalized like they should be.

This has got my little pea size nut for a brain asking, "Why is this?"

I did a little test and made a blank mapper.txt with nothing in it and used that in Dosbox.

Know what happened? None of the keys worked and then it finally crashed all squibby like. Joy! :D

So why did that get me all punchy?

Well, if you look at the mapper.txt file all that's accounted for is
key_a "key 97" through key_z "122"

I'm not seeing anything like key_A or key_Z (capital letters) in the mapper.txt file.

Could it be this easy? I know I'm easy. But hey, I never got a disease I didn't earn! :cool:

So if Dosbox crashes when you press a key that isn't defined, could this explain the behavior because capital letters aren't defined in the mapper.txt file?

If this turns out that I'm on to something here, you are all my witnesses! :D

OSEmuTech
2008-03-18, 04:06
I hope you caught something good Mr. Addison and you share it with us. :eek::D

But even under Basilisk II and SciTE the xkbd is funky and crashes under OS 2008, and they don't use the mapper.txt like DOSBox does.

http://49d70a.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p27A0pF0A3D9jV_0qOP32U7mNj7AcmRX2HDTl8-mcTeHtIxHxwREP7xGHKDdoNBra_mEz5fMUMktX9KT3s4O5Eg/help.gif

Pushwall
2008-03-18, 11:51
So if Dosbox crashes when you press a key that isn't defined, could this explain the behavior because capital letters aren't defined in the mapper.txt file?

If this turns out that I'm on to something here, you are all my witnesses! :D
I'm witnessing! I'm witnessing! And I'm on my knees praying I'll be singing some hallelujah choruses real soon! :D

Addison
2008-03-18, 20:16
Okay boys, listen up!

I think I've found a dirty, filthy, slutty like a squealing pig solution with the virtual keyboard in Dosbox!

Hey OSEmuTech... front and center! I'm going to need your help on this theory!

Here's the idea in a nutshell. Note, this is only going to be good for Dosbox, nothing else.

Xkbd doesn't like certain keys and causes random crashes.

So what's the solution then? We don't use those keys. See how easy that was? :D

Now the trick for this to all come together is finding out every possible key that Xkbd is willing to accept consistently and not using the ones it doesn't like such as the keys "a" through "z".

Here's an example taken from the mapper.txt file:
key_1 "key 49"
key_a "key 97"

I know that the number keys always work so here's the switch-a-roo solution:
key_1
Key_a "key 49"

So what does this mean?

Every time I hit "1" on the Xkbd keyboard, the letter "a" will show up on the screen, each and every time! No crashes!

The only thing left that needs to be done, is to change the "1" graphic on the keyboard to an "a".

To put this all together, the button on the Xkbd keyboard will show an "a", when touching that button it will generate a signal stating that the number "1" was pressed, by manipulating the mapper.txt file, it will think that "1" represents the letter "a".

Anyone getting it? And no, Pushwall, I'm not talking about your sex life. :D

The main struggle to this, is finding every possible key that Xkbd is willing to accept, being function keys, symbols, what have you. Obviously the number keys are important so we shouldn't use those, I only mentioned them as an example.

Once that is all compiled together, given there are enough keys to go around, mapping these out to the alphabet should only take a matter of an hour or so.

So step one: How do we find out which keys does Xkbd not get fussy over?

From there, a temporary solution should shortly come.

Can I get a witness? :D

OSEmuTech
2008-03-18, 23:26
OSEmuTech hides behind Pushwall and uses ventriloquism "Hey, can I help?" knocking Pushwall's arm up.

Ah, it's the Jack Daniel's talking. We need more forum smilies. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0009.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=party/party0009.gif)

Pushwall
2008-03-18, 23:30
Ok let's keep my sex life and and squealing pigs out of this! :D

All I can say is.....Brother Addison this is HUGE and you've got your witness! Your message is clear, the light is shining down and the choruses are singing!! Wow truly amazing!!! :cool:

Pushwall
2008-03-18, 23:31
OSEmuTech hides behind Pushwall and uses ventriloquism "Hey, can I help?" knocking Pushwall's arm up.

Hey watch it! :eek:

Addison
2008-03-19, 09:17
Ah, it's the Jack Daniel's talking. We need more forum smilies.

Hey OSEmuTech, if you keep drinking like that, you're going to end up like me and forgetting the little details in life......... like February. :o

I can't program and I don't know how to even look at a source code.

I need your help on this buddy.

If you can compile a list of all of the keys Xkbd is capable of generating, I should be able to make a new, nifty keyboard that doesn't crash the crapping turd out of Dosbox.

Help me, help you, to help me to help others who can help me helping those that help those that helped me helping you that helped me.

Wake up from your drunken stupor damn you!

OSEmutech, I know you want to come to the dark side and enjoy the extra 18 heptendecillion megahertz power that's generated with the 2008 Operating System.

Let's try to work the problem together, or do I need to release the Kraken on you?

OSEmuTech
2008-03-20, 01:00
I started reading a (few) book(s) on C (C++, GTK+, Maemo) programming lately thanks to FBReader and Evince making it so comfortable to do so while laying in bed. Give me a few years of studying when I'm not at work (full time) and maybe I can contribute something to Maemo development besides quick and dirty ./configure makes.

I did "upgrade" to OS 2008 on Monday. I'm really missing SciTE now as it's a nifty text editor & IDE, and of course I miss xkbd for using in DOSBox (and Basilisk II). If only I could dance around source code and make the changes necessary to fix xkbd (xlibs, libxpm4, libxau0) and SciTE (Scintilla).

Right now I need my iGo to use DOSBox on OS 2008.

Ah ... Kraken, Leviathan, Behemoth, Typhoeus, Juggernaut, Basilisk ... are the brothers of OSEmuTech. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0056.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=characters/character0056.gif)

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/scared/scared0016.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=scared/scared0016.gif)

Addison
2008-03-20, 02:50
If only I could dance around source code and make the changes necessary to fix xkbd (xlibs, libxpm4, libxau0)

It's fixed. Check out the post I made over in the Applications board. :D

Here was the simple secret to it all:

Old layout:
default a
default_ks a
shift A
shift_ks A
obey_capslock yes

New layout:
default a
default_ks A
shift A
shift_ks A
obey_capslock yes

For some reason, Xkbd hates lower case letters being used as input.

Also the normal shift key won't work using this method, only the Caps Lock button will do the Upper and Lower cases, so you probably could remove that shift key from your personal, keyboard layout.

Witness? :D

Pushwall
2008-03-20, 13:19
OMG what a great thing to start my day! You are definitely the man, Addison!! :cool: I'm running off right now to change the default xkbd file that pops up using DosBox. I'd use the one you posted over in Apps, Addison, but I need those function keys.
Before I go, Let me just bow down to your highness and say THANK YOU!!! :D

Addison
2008-03-20, 15:36
I'd use the one you posted over in Apps, Addison, but I need those function keys.
Before I go, Let me just bow down to your highness and say THANK YOU!!!

Well, here's the thing.

My keyboard layout makes perfect to me. 16 rows by 3 columns with a height of 26 and a width of 78 makes each key the same exact size and it all fits together pixel perfect with the area on the screen that isn't needed by Dosbox. Mathematically, it's the correct setting for someone like me who is one step away from having OCD. :D

So there's two possibilities here.

The first, I'm going to send a private message to ArnimS asking if he can figure out a way to launch two Xkbds in Dosbox. With the extra keyboard on the other side of the screen, you'll have all the needed keys available coming out your butt.

If that's not possible for some reason, I'll try to think of a solution for a more thorough keyboard like OSEmutech's design, only mine will be better, because I'll make it out of love. :D

qwerty12
2008-03-20, 16:21
Monopoly Deluxe

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8965/monopolysi5.png

Post a reply if you're having any trouble getting it all together.

Hi,

I just wanted to ask, does this need Windows 3.11 :)?

I remember playing this on WinME (Not anymore, WinXP MCE SP3 & Ubuntu Gutsy all the way baby! :p )and I remember it saying for Win3.11.

BTW: How would you get it faster by disabling sound?

Thank you and I hope this doesn't take much of your time.

The first, I'm going to send a private message to ArnimS asking if he can figure out a way to launch two Xkbds in Dosbox. With the extra keyboard on the other side of the screen, you'll have all the needed keys available coming out your butt.

DOSBox afaik just calls a script to run XKBD. Unless xkbd itself cannot be run twice, using a && or & on the end should work.

Pushwall
2008-03-20, 17:30
Well, here's the thing.

My keyboard layout makes perfect to me. 16 rows by 3 columns with a height of 26 and a width of 78 makes each key the same exact size and it all fits together pixel perfect with the area on the screen that isn't needed by Dosbox. Mathematically, it's the correct setting for someone like me who is one step away from having OCD. :D

I agree totally that the height and width sizing on your keyboard makes it easy to input information. I changed the default keyboard that comes with DosBox per your findings and that runs fine now but the keys are teeny tiny small making it a bit tough to use. I'm crossing my fingers you can get 2 keyboards running since it would be the best of all worlds.

Addison
2008-03-20, 20:40
I just wanted to ask, does this need Windows 3.11 ?

I remember playing this on WinME (Not anymore, WinXP MCE SP3 & Ubuntu Gutsy all the way baby! )and I remember it saying for Win3.11.

BTW: How would you get it faster by disabling sound?

Yes, it's for Dosbox and the gameplay and speed are both outstanding. :)

If you want it even faster, you can change it to PC speaker output during installation, not using the MIDI (music) option, click on the setting for the "Computers Roll" and "Fast Computers", going to the animations option in the game and increasing the animated token speed and skipping movement and removing the "Logo" in that option area as well. Also, up the cycles between 600 and 800.

There's a lot of stuff to play around with, so just customize it the way that works best for you. Don't forget to "Save as Default" once you have all your settings in place otherwise you'll have to do them all over again.

I agree totally that the height and width sizing on your keyboard makes it easy to input information. I changed the default keyboard that comes with DosBox per your findings and that runs fine now but the keys are teeny tiny small making it a bit tough to use. I'm crossing my fingers you can get 2 keyboards running since it would be the best of all worlds

Having two keyboards at the same time do work, that's the set up I have for Monopoly, so no worries there. It all comes down to getting the most bang for your buck and generating a perfect layout that works for everyone.

There's two things that I'm firmly attached to though.

One, I don't want the keyboard to overlap the Dosbox screen. If someone else wants to make a bloated, oversized keyboard that flaps over the Dosbox screen, well, good for them. That's just not an option for me.

The other, I really want to keep the number pad the way it is because for games that use the keypad for direction, it's just easier this way.

Everything else, I'm completely open to suggestions.

If you want function keys, more symbols, Insert, Home, Page Up, Page Down, etc. on one keyboard, the size of each key is going to be even smaller and more cramped.

I really like the idea of a second keyboard, even if it's just to be used with Dosbox.

On most games, so far Monopoly is the only exception, there's also a small area on the top and bottom of the screen as well.

Maybe we should think about using four keyboards. What about that, huh? Hey, go big or or go home! :D

I don't know though, that might look like a gawdy eyesore. :confused:

Well, fire up MS Paint or something and draw out any ideas you have, and post them here, it doesn't have to look sexy. Just make sure that it's supported by some basic level of academic math and understanding of spatial reasoning, something which I believe you have no sense of, so good luck with that......... j/k :D

Addison
2008-03-21, 05:08
Okay, I did a little testing, and I've got perfect the solution.

Just need some time to whip the puppy into shape.

I should have it ready by this weekend. It's definitely going to rock, I assure you that much. :D

Anyway, this thread is really just for games that work well in Dosbox until I somehow steered this whole thread off-topic.

So anymore posts on this I'll throw on over to the other Dosbox discussion thread.

Cheers.

qx773
2008-03-23, 16:20
Master of Orion v1.3 works for me well. I originally was having trouble with the mouse pointer not appearing in the area where I clicked on the screen of my Nokia N800, but that problem went away when I edited the:

/usr/share/dosbox/dosbox.conf

file and changed the following lines:

autolock=false
priority=highest,normal
frameskip=0

Addison
2008-03-26, 03:04
I have two favor requests.

I'm wondering if there is a way to get Zelda Classic to run in Dosbox.
http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/what.php

When trying to run it on my computer, using Dosbox, I get this error:
Exiting due to signal SIGSEGV along with a bunch of gibberish thats immediately follows.

So is this possible to run or not?

Also, I'm trying to get an old school classic to run just right on the tablet.

It's called "Pools of Darkness"..... yeah, I'm that hard core to go back that far in time. :D

For the music to run perfectly, Cycle Speed needs to be about 200, but the game is really only playable at speeds of 500 - 800.

So it looks like I either have to overclock the music, which is a shame since it sounds so good, or reduce the gameplay to a painfully grinding halt.

Any chance someone could help problem solve the best settings for this game?

I'll personally write a song about you and draw you a self-portrait. :D

P.S. Said offer is not to be considered a date.

Pushwall
2008-03-26, 13:36
I tried Zelda Classic and the latest version craps out like you said. I did get the older version 1.90 to run on my PC in DosBox, but for some reason I can't get it to load in DosBox on my tablet.

As far as Pool of Darkness, I ran the start.bat and I set it for Soundblaster for the music and EGA graphics. The music sounded fine when I went into the game menu and character creation with a speed of 600. I noticed that there was also an option for Tandy for the graphics, so you may want to try that too.

Addison
2008-03-27, 21:09
Hey Push!

I've had the same exact numbers as you have running this game and I'm hearing really bad sound stutters and breaks.

For the music to play smoothly, the cycle speed needs to drop down to 200.

I figured that is has something to do with playing the music much too fast.

I thought perhaps that changes were necessary in the Advanced settings to lower the sound emulation.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to what the gus rates, IRQ settings, Mixers, Oplmode, and Oplrate work.

I was hoping someone could give me a hand on this.

You sure you're not getting any sounds skips whatsoever at that cycle speed, Push?

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Pushwall
2008-03-28, 01:54
I thought perhaps that changes were necessary in the Advanced settings to lower the sound emulation.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to what the gus rates, IRQ settings, Mixers, Oplmode, and Oplrate work.

I was hoping someone could give me a hand on this.

You sure you're not getting any sounds skips whatsoever at that cycle speed, Push?

Thanks for looking into this for me.
I also have the game running with frameskip 2 and fullscreen false which probably doesn't matter.

Here's one thing to try. I found a setting on the Advanced screen of RubyBox that helps smooth out the music and sounds in some games. Change the 'mixer prebuffer' setting. Crank that baby up from the default of 20 to 400! It seems to help those sound stutters and allows you with certain games to increase the 'cycles' setting up a bit too and still continue getting good sound. With some games though if you set 'cycles' up too high you get the weird effect of music slowing down with lots of screen animation and then speeding back up when the animation slows down. Play with it a bit and see if it helps. With Pools of Darkness just now I was able to put 'cycles' to 800 and still get good sound.

Addison
2008-03-28, 05:06
Hey Push, I'm not getting close to the same results on my end like you're stating, even with your 'mixer prebuffer' suggestion which I was hoping would work.

I'm basically running on a fresh OS 2008 except for Dosbox, Xkbd, Evince, Emelfm2, and Scumm.

Yeah, I know, I really need to read up on a few threads and actually learn how to use this piece.

But anyway, could you just post your dosbox.conf file, like the whole chilli cheese dog so I can see what I'm missing on this?

Thanks again dude!

I'd really like to make up the favor with you someday for looking into this for me.

Tell you what, if you ever decide to move and need some help from a real man to lift heavy stuff out of your house and all of that crap you have in your basement.......
I'll call one of my friends to give you a hand. :D

ukki
2008-03-28, 07:33
RubyBox stores game settings in /home/user/.rubybox. You can share these files with others. You only need to change the path to executable from settings. Would you like to have an import/export of game settings feature in RubyBox? Maybe even make it online based so you could share/fetch settings for your favorite game easily?

Pushwall
2008-03-28, 11:43
Yes and most definitely yes! That would rock, ukki!

ukki
2008-03-28, 21:59
New RubyBox release. Changed icon to more girly one and fixed the 26px icon in control file. Added ability to share game settings with other RubyBox users. I made this update/online service today in one night so it's a very quick hack and needs testing.

rubybox_0.2.2.deb (http://nakkiboso.com/rubybox_0.2.2.deb)

Go to preferences (use menu button):

address: nakkiboso.com
nickname: your nick

Press ok and import/export buttons should become active. After that, you can (in theory at least) export games by selecting them and clicking export. If you make changes to a game, clicking export updates the settings and doesn't create a new entry. Importing is easy too. Just add a new game as usual, but only enter game name and select executable and save. Select the just added game and press import. If someone has exported settings for that game, it should load them. If there are multiple hits, you can select the one you want from a dropdown menu. It's hard to test is alone with only few games so all you hardcore tablet dosboxers please give it a shot.

Pushwall
2008-03-28, 23:14
ukki I think it was a long day at work since I can't figure out how to make this work. Probably simple and I'm not seeing it. I click on settings in RubyBox but don't see anywhere to input address or nickname in basic or advance settings screen. Am I in the wrong place? I see the greyed out import export buttons but can't figure out how to make them active. BTW I like that girly icon! :)

ukki
2008-03-28, 23:19
ukki I think it was a long day at work since I can't figure out how to make this work. Probably simple and I'm not seeing it. I click on settings in RubyBox but don't see anywhere to input address or nickname in basic or advance settings screen. Am I in the wrong place? I see the greyed out import export buttons but can't figure out how to make them active. BTW I like that girly icon! :)

Press the menu button for menu or unfullscreen the window and click on the title bar.

Pushwall
2008-03-29, 03:15
Thanks, works great on both an export and import test. One minor issue,...I did an export of the game "Pharoah's Tomb". I then added a new game called "Pharoah" with the same executable, saved it, and did an import. It worked fine importing all the settings but renamed my new game from "Pharoah" to "Pharoah's Tomb". Any way for it to keep the name that I named it with? Overall though, this will be a very useful feature if we can get more users to use RubyBox and update the database.

One request.....would it be possible to sort the game names alphabetically? Right now it seems to put them in random order and with all the games I'm getting in there I'm having a hard time finding them. I'll save my request for Group headings for later. ;)

ukki
2008-03-29, 05:55
Thanks, works great on both an export and import test. One minor issue,...I did an export of the game "Pharoah's Tomb". I then added a new game called "Pharoah" with the same executable, saved it, and did an import. It worked fine importing all the settings but renamed my new game from "Pharoah" to "Pharoah's Tomb". Any way for it to keep the name that I named it with?

Sure it's possible. I replace the path when importing so I can also replace the name. But don't you think some users would also like to use the name from the exported file? When it changes the name, you can change it back, save and remove the old one.

One request.....would it be possible to sort the game names alphabetically?

Sure.

I'll save my request for Group headings for later. ;)

Completely ignored this for now ;)

Pushwall
2008-03-29, 15:00
Sure it's possible. I replace the path when importing so I can also replace the name. But don't you think some users would also like to use the name from the exported file? When it changes the name, you can change it back, save and remove the old one.

Good point. Now that I think about it, it's a good feature to have. I can quickly name my game with 1 character, put in the executable file name, save it, do the import and I'm done in a flash. So please keep it as it is and don't change it. I like it! :)

ukki
2008-03-30, 13:54
Pushwall, this release is for you. Added ability to categorize games and RubyBox now asks which name to use when importing game settings. Report possible bugs as usual. Get it from post 55.

Pushwall
2008-03-30, 17:19
Excellent work, ukki. Having alphabetical sorting is very nice plus being able to categorize the games is icing on the cake....thank you!! :cool:

Addison
2008-03-30, 19:43
Since when is Pushwall deserving of a release in his name?!!?!!?

I must have missed the post where he became all Mr. Fancy Pants around these parts! :D

But yeah, sounds like a great idea, Ukki!

I definitely will be contributing as much as possible with settings and junk for games that are compatible with Dosbox... just give me a few days when I have some time to waste.

However, I'll still be continuing to post in this thread since certain games require special instructions on how to get them fully optimized.

Thanks a bunch Ukki!

ukki
2008-03-30, 19:45
Since when is Pushwall deserving of a release in his name?!!?!!?

Just make requests and I'll see what I can do ;)

ukki
2008-03-30, 20:08
Minor release, fixed few typos and made few changes.

Addison
2008-03-30, 21:25
Bobby Fisher Teaches Chess

cpu cycles= 800 (this might not be optimum however, it's tough to know what the top rate is)
dosbox machine= vga
render frameskip= 0
sblaster sbtype= none
sdl fullscreen= true
sdl sensitivity= 250
sdl autolock= false
speaker pcspeaker= false

Screenshot:

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7870/bobbylg3.png

First, forget about the sound, it's not worth it, also there's no perfect setting for mouse control.

If you map one of your hardware keys to be used as a spacebar, there's really no reason to use the mouse cursor at all anyway though.

The only real buttons you need are
Escape - Also gets you into the top menu options
Spacebar - This makes selctions for you in the options
Enter and Dpad for movement and control

The negatives:
Poor sound (not including me shouting at the computer screen :p), can't save user settings - only game saves, and bad mouse control support (not the game's fault though).

The positives:
It uses VESA graphics which makes it look like it's not even a DOS game!
An extensive library of Bobby Fischer's games which are reviewable.
Most important feature is that it uses a scoring system which very few chess games seem to offer.
It generates a simple number score based on piece position and strength... it kind of gives you a general picture on if you're winning or losing the match.

Overall rating for this game: 4 1/4 stars out of 5

Addison
2008-03-30, 21:36
Castle of Dr. Brain

cpu cycles= 700
dosbox machine= vga
render frameskip= 4
sblaster sbtype= sb1
sdl fullscreen= true
sdl sensitivity= 100
mixer prebuffer = 400
sdl autolock= false

Screenshot:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1407/brainue0.png

First, the game runs pretty slow and chunky at times, but personally I think the speed is fine.

Trying to figure out a puzzle is going to slow down gameplay much more than the game itself will, so for me, the slowdown and framerate is almost negligible to the point of not even worth mentioning.

You might need to drag the cursor to one of the four corners of the screen to get the mouse lined up perfectly with your stylus.

Also, I tend to use up on the D PAD to get into the menu bar.

This is a favorite, old school, cult classic of mine that I've had for quite some time now. It's great to revisit this on my handheld since I never originally finished the game so long ago.

Overall rating for this game: 4 1/2 stars out of 5

Edit: Forgot to mention, make sure you don't use IBM PC or Compatible Internal Speaker when installing the game. It sounds horrible and actually slows down the speed even more so than if using the settings for real speaker sound.

Addison
2008-03-30, 21:53
Sensible Soccer v 1.1

cpu cycles= 500
dosbox machine= vga
render frameskip= 0
sblaster sbtype= sb1
sdl fullscreen= true
sdl sensitivity= 100
mixer prebuffer = 400
sdl autolock= false

Screenshot:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7860/sensibledx1.png

The loading of the game is a little lengthy, but nothing too unbearable.

The gameplay speed is just incredible as well as the music and sound!

The folks over at Sensible Software, Ltd. sure knew how to program efficiently since this is a 1993 game that runs super fast, even with low cycle speeds and no frameskipping.

I doubt you'll find a faster sports game than this one.

For me, I personally would rather watch 3 and a half hours of farming than a full game of soccer. :o

However, Sensible Soccer was great back in the day since it almost played like an arcade game. I'd compare this more to a hockey game than actual soccer.

So yeah, charming and addictive gameplay, great speed, instant replays, league matches, etc. quite a lot of fun junk is packaged in this.

It's even entertaining just to watch two computers play against one another during those painfully boring lectures or meetings at work.

This is too much of a great classic for me to not get excited about on how well this runs in Dosbox! :D

Pushwall
2008-04-03, 13:30
Thanks for the detailed game info, Addison. To tell the truth I haven't played them before. I'll check them out especially Sensible Soccer which looks cool.

Addison
2008-04-04, 04:47
Hey Ukki!

Okay, so I uploaded a good dozen or more game settings with the your latest Rubybox version.

But right now, I don't think I'm getting what all that did.

Am I just backing up my own personal settings that can only be seen by me and the same goes for others as well?

I thought the whole purpose of this was to share info with each other here.

Is there a way to see what everyone else has contributed too or isn't that your design on this?

Also, Push!

Yeah, Sensible Soccer is pure awesomeness!

It actually runs even better at cycle speeds of 700, possibly even higher.

At 500 though is the point where the music doesn't skip.

So if you were to set cycles up to 200, once you turn off the music, in game, then you can give it an additional boost in speed. Am I making any sense on this?

Oh, and I meant to say pressing the Escape key gets you into the game menu in Castle of Dr. Brain... I have no idea why I said D Pad up.

I think it might have something to do with me having deep, personal issues. :D

ukki
2008-04-04, 09:08
Hey Ukki!

Okay, so I uploaded a good dozen or more game settings with the your latest Rubybox version.

But right now, I don't think I'm getting what all that did.

Am I just backing up my own personal settings that can only be seen by me and the same goes for others as well?

I thought the whole purpose of this was to share info with each other here.

Is there a way to see what everyone else has contributed too or isn't that your design on this?

There is no way to actually browse what profiles users have added, but they are for everyone to use. RubyBox uses game name and checksum of the .exe to search for matches. For example if you add a game named ultima to list and press import, it should (currently) find two hits and ask which one to import. Same should happen if you add the same ultima 5 .exe, no matter what you name the game.

Do you guys want to be able to browse the profiles?

Addison
2008-04-04, 18:41
Do you guys want to be able to browse the profiles?

Yes please.

Anything at all would be nice, I'm not asking for much.

But yeah, seeing a list of what others have contributed as well would be nice. :)

ukki
2008-04-07, 10:25
Yes please.

Anything at all would be nice, I'm not asking for much.

But yeah, seeing a list of what others have contributed as well would be nice. :)

Well considering the userbase consists of three users, I'm not implementing this into RubyBox just yet :) But I hope browser works for you.

RubyBox gamelist (http://nakkiboso.com/rbox.php)

Pushwall
2008-04-07, 11:35
Cool ukki! I've got a few games I'll be adding to the list soon.

Addison
2008-04-09, 19:15
Ah nuts!

Somehow I managed to make my Nokia go into seizure mode since any little thing I did would cause it to suffer a horrible, searing death and lock up on me.

Well, I did a fresh reflash but for some reason Rubybox won't load up.

Dosbox works just fine and even fires up the Xkbd if I click on it from the menu, but with Rubybox I'm getting poop squat.

I didn't receive any errors when installing all of the required junk so I don't have a clue what is missing.

Any chance someone could post step by step what all is needed and in what order, including when I need to be in Red Pill mode and root?

Thanks a bunch.

And yeah, I've got a few more game settings I'd like to upload as well. :D

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 19:32
Addison, the only thing I did when I installed RubyBox was follow the instructions by ArnimS. Sorry man that's all the help I can give you.

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 19:58
Here are 5 games that work very well in DosBox 0.72 chinook (n8x0) build #1.

I selected these games since I am fairly familiar with them in that I was a level designer for two of them (Jetpack and Gods of Thunder) and beta-tested all of them. Plus and most importantly, all these games are now FREEWARE which allows everyone here a chance to play the full complete registered versions….legally & without any moral trepidation! :cool:

I was very interested if the games would play well on my N800 device compared to the PC, and also whether they would fare well with a bare-bones tablet without a keyboard. I find these games play extremely well in DosBox when I attach my IGo Stowaway keyboard. But to get the games to work without the keyboard and with just the keys on the N800, I had to change some settings in the mapper.txt file. So with my mappercsa.txt file ( http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/mappercsa.txt), the key layout is like this:

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/n800csa.jpg

The scrolling keys (left, up, right, down, and middle button for Enter) and Esc key have been left alone. However, the other keys have been redefined to work better with these games since most of them require the Ctrl and Alt keys. IMO with this remapping these games play quite well on just a normal N800. Look Ma, no keyboard! :D

Also when using the mappercsa.txt file ( http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/mappercsa.txt), the following keys have been redefined as follows and work great using the latest Addison keyboard layouts for XKBD. The reason I used these function keys is because most of these games don’t make use of them. :

F9 – full screen toggle
F10 – cycles down
F11 – cycles up
F12 – exit and quit out of game

Before I tackle the games…A SPECIAL THANKS to ArnimS for his fine-tuning of DosBox so that these games run so well, ukki for his easy to use RubyBox front-end for DosBox, and Addison for his fantastic version of the XKBD keyboard. You’ve guys have really helped make playing the old DOS games on the tablet easy and fun.

Special Note: I have exported all the special settings of these games for easy setup if you want to use RubyBox’s import button.

And now the games………

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 19:59
Bio Menace (http://www.3drealms.com/menace/index.html) – a side-scrolling action game from Apogee. You are Snake Logan up against a city of horrific mutants! This is a fast-paced, shoot everything that moves type of game....good blasting fun!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/biomenace.png (http://www.3drealms.com/menace/index.html)

Download the FULL GAME here (ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/freeware/bmfreew.zip).

Settings:
cpu cycles 650
render frameskip 5
mixer prebuffer 400
sdl mapperfile /usr/share/dosbox/mappercsa.txt ( http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/mappercsa.txt)

Game Executable: Depending on the episode you want to play, select either BMENACE1.EXE, BMENACE2.EXE, or BEMENACE3.EXE.

Controls:
Custom configure them in the Configure/Use Keyboard menu. There’s 3 commands: Jump, Fire, and Grenades. You can configure a key for Grenades, but you can also easily throw grenades by holding down the Up Arrow and then hitting the key you’ve configured for Fire.

Important!!: This game only plays well if you turn off the score box. You can turn this on and off either in the Configure/Options menu or by hitting the Backspace key while in the game. Try playing the game with it on and you’ll see how the entire game slows way down.

Warning!!: There is a Boss key feature in Bio Menace. If you hit the F9 key, it shows a DOS prompt. The F9 key is also the key I’ve remapped in the mappercsa.txt file for turning fullscreen on and off. So just be aware that if you use this key to flip fullscreen on or off, then the DOS prompt will appear. Hitting the Esc key will take you out of the DOS screen to the game.

Positives: Great gameplay, graphics, sounds, and music! Plus the full game is FREE!!
Negatives: None!

DosBox Issues: None!
Overall game rating: 5 stars out of 5

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 20:00
Jetpack ( http://www.adeptsoftware.com/jetpack/) – a nerve-jolting action game with a very cool game editor! You play as a jetpack-flying adventurer collecting gems while avoiding enemies and deathly dangers.

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/jetpack.png ( http://www.adeptsoftware.com/jetpack/)

Download the FULL GAME here (http://www.adeptsoftware.com/jetpack/jetpak15.zip).
Get HINTBOOK here (http://www.adeptsoftware.com/jetpack/jethints.zip) - highly recommended to get through some of the tougher levels.

Settings:
cpu cycles 500
render frameskip 2
sdl mapperfile /usr/share/dosbox/mappercsa.txt ( http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/mappercsa.txt)

Note: Increase cpu cycles to speed up the game and make it harder, or decrease cpu cycles to slow down the game and make it easier.

Game Executable: JETPACK.EXE

Controls:
Alt – use jetpack to fly
Ctrl – phazer (to phase thru objects)
Arrow keys to move and fly around

To save your game progress you use Alt-S on the screen between levels. The Alt-S combo on the XKBD keyboard doesn’t work. Since my mappercsa.txt file has remapped the tablet’s hard keys, you hold down the ‘+’ key on top of the tablet (that’s been remapped as the Alt key) and while holding it down, tap on the ‘s’ key on the XKBD keyboard.

Game Editor:
The game editor comes free with the game. This is one of the best features of Jetpack since it is so darn easy and intuitive to use. It is without a doubt extremely addictive! I do however recommend that you use it on the PC to make levels since it is much faster and the bigger screen of the PC helps. But the editor does work on the tablet, and you can easily make your own custom game levels and instantly play what you have created. Read the MANUAL.TXT file in the Jetpack directory for all the editor keyboard controls.

Other Comments:
There is a Christmas version of Jetpack with 10 different levels you can play too. Instead of collecting gems, you fly around as Santa Claus leaving presents. To switch to the Christmas version run JSWITCH.EXE located in the main Jetpack directory.

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of custom levels plus new graphics for Jetpack. Go to the Jetpack website ( http://www.adeptsoftware.com/jetpack) and you’ll find near the bottom of the page a link list of all the custom levels you can download and play.

Positives: Extremely fun with lots of action and animations to watch on the screen. The game comes with a nice game editor so you can make your own game levels, and there are hundreds of user-developed levels so you’ll never be bored with the game. Plus the full game is FREE!!

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 20:01
God of Thunder (http://www.adeptsoftware.com/got/) – a puzzle-action-adventure game. You are Thor with an enchanted hammer that always returns whenever you throw it. Journey through Midgard trying to save the land by battling monsters and figuring your way through dangerous traps!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/got.png (http://www.adeptsoftware.com/got/)

Download the FULL GAME here (http://www.adeptsoftware.com/got/gotfree.zip).
Get HINTBOOK here (http://www.adeptsoftware.com/got/gothints.zip).

Game Executable: GOT.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 700
render frameskip 6
sdl fullscreen true
dos xms false
mixer prebuffer 400

Important!!! - You need to make sure you set this game to run fullscreen since it uses the full height of the display screen.

Controls:
Alt – throw hammer
Space – select item
Ctrl – use item
Arrow keys – move around
Esc (during gameplay) – options menu so you can set various things including Sound/Music (if the music gets on your nerves then turn it off!), Skill Level, Save or Load Game, Die, Turbo Mode, and Quit.

Important!!: Be sure and set Turbo Mode to on when you initially start the game to speed up monsters and character movement. If you run into spots where the game is too tough with the creatures, then you can temporarily switch it off.

Positives: This game has it all…action, adventure, and brain-twisting puzzles! Control-wise it is a game that is perfect to play on the Nokia tablets. Plus the full game is FREE!!
Negative: A minor slowdown issue in a few levels (see below).

DosBox Issues: There is a slight slowdown in game speed when you run into a level with hordes of enemies on the screen! Not a major issue, so only 1/4 point off the total game rating I would normally give the game.
Overall game rating: 4.75 stars out of 5

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 20:01
Squarez Deluxe (http://www.adeptsoftware.com/squarez/) – a puzzle game using block shapes. This ain’t your ordinary Tetris clone! :D Maneuver your block pieces to form squarez while dealing with hazardous chemicals, devastator bombs, and missiles! Race the clock or if you have an external keyboard play against an opponent head-to-head!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/squarez.png (http://www.adeptsoftware.com/squarez/)

Download the FULL GAME here (http://www.adeptsoftware.com/jetpack/jetpak15.zip) (it’s included in the file with Jetpack).

Game Executable: SQUAREZ.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 500
render frameskip 0
sdl autolock false

Note: Increase cpu cycles to speed up the game and make it harder, or decrease cpu cycles to slow down the game and make it easier.

Controls:
Ctrl - rotate the piece
Alt - place the piece
Arrow keys – move the piece
Esc - give up
F1 - pause (and screensaver)

Other Comments:
If you have an external keyboard, there is also a 2-player mode if you want to challenge a friend to a game. Read the MANUAL.TXT file in the Squarez directory for the key layouts for each player. The MANUAL.TXT file also has good hints on how to play and win the game.

Positives: I find this game more fun than Tetris since there’s more options to think about as you’re moving and rotating the blocks. Plus the full game is FREE!!
Negative: The graphics look a little dated.

Overall game rating: 4.25 stars out of 5

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 20:02
Boppin’ (http://jenniverse.com/boppin%20main.html) – a very unique cartoony puzzle game…with attitude! You are Yeet or Boik on a mission to free computer monsters that have been trapped inside blocks by the sweet Hunnybunz. I know,…..very strange! Basically your goal is to zap colored blocks with the same color you are holding by aiming correctly and sometimes using your brain!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/boppin.png (http://jenniverse.com/boppin%20main.html)

Download the FULL GAME here ( http://www.classicdosgames.com/apogee/boppinr.zip).
Read HOW TO PLAY the game here (http://jenniverse.com/boppin%20instructions.html).

Game Executable: BOPPIN.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 900
render frameskip 7
mixer prebuffer 400

Controls:
Custom configure Left, Right, Up, Down, Button 1, and Button 2 in the Set Devices/Device Options/Define Motion Keys menu. Besides the directional keys, Button 1 is very important since that is the one you will hold and use a lot in the game. Button 2 is used to pull up the in-game menu.

Important!! – Before you start the game, run the separate program SETUP.EXE to set the soundcard you want for sound and/or music. I found the game runs much faster and smoother with music turned to OFF.

Other Comments:
There is also a game editor you can use to make your own puzzle levels. I have never used it so I cannot comment how easy or hard it is to use. If it’s anything like the Jetpack editor then I’m sure it’s fun!

Negative: The game is a bit slow in the menus and the sound hiccups a bit too.
Positives: Once you are in the game, everything plays and sounds fine! This game is sorta like billiards with tactics. There’s plenty of puzzle action to keep you entertained for hours.

DosBox Issues: The game is slow in the menus because of menu movement and animation. There is some sound stuttering in the menus too. This is only a problem in the menus and not in the actual game itself. Not a major issue concerning gameplay so only 1/4 point off the game rating I would normally give the game.

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:01
Okay I’ve looked at 5 free games and now that I’m on a roll here’s some more that I’ve tested and played in DosBox….15 shareware games! Most all play extremely well and use the mappercsa.txt (http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/mappercsa.txt) file talked about above. There’s lots and lots of gameplay in each of these shareware versions since these games have fairly large first episodes to get you hooked into buying the full game. Darn those marketing people!! :D

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:02
Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons (http://www.3drealms.com/keen1/index.html) – a humorous side-scrolling action game from Apogee and id Software. You as Billy Blaze have donned your brother’s football helmet and have become Commander Keen to battle the Vorticons!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/commanderkeen1.png (http://www.3drealms.com/keen1/index.html)

Download Episode 1 (shareware version) here ( ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/1keen.zip).

Settings:
cpu cycles 600
render frameskip 0

Game Executable: KEEN1.EXE

Controls:
Arrow keys to move around
Ctrl – jump
Alt – use pogo/stop pogo (if you have one)
Ctrl and Alt – fire raygun (if it has charges)
Spacebar – status screen
F5 – save game when on the world map

You can redefine movement and action keys by hitting F3 within the game.

Positives: The animations in the game are cartoony and humorous plus the gameplay is fantastic and fun!

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:02
Keen Dreams (http://www.commander-keen.com/keen-dreams.php) – the “lost episode” of Commander Keen (actually it’s Commander Keen 3.5 if you’re counting) by id software This interlude is another fantastic episode in the exceptional side-scrolling game series. Instead of having a pogo stick and ray gun, Commander Keen must fight the evil vegetables in this dream world using “flower power”!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/commanderkeen35.png (http://www.commander-keen.com/keen-dreams.php)

Download Episode 3.5 (demo version) here ( http://www.commander-keen.com/downloads/keen-dreams.zip).

Settings:
cpu cycles 600
render frameskip 4
sdl autolock false

Game Executable: START.EXE

Controls:
Ctrl – jump
Alt – throw
Custom configure them in the Controls menu.

Positives: Great gameplay, graphics, and overall gaming goodness!
Negatives: Absolutely none!

Overall game rating: 5 stars out of 5!

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:03
Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy! (http://www.3drealms.com/keen4/index.html) – another Commander Keen game by Apogee and id software in the fantastic side-scrolling game series, this time with great graphics and music. This has to be one of the best classic scroller games ever made for the PC and now you can play it on your Nokia tablet!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/commanderkeen4.png ( http://www.3drealms.com/keen4/index.html)

Download Episode 4 (shareware version) here ( ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/4keen.zip).

Settings:
cpu cycles 575
render frameskip 8
mixer prebuffer 400

Game Executable: KEEN4.EXE

Controls:
Ctrl – jump
Alt – pogo
Space - fire
Custom configure them in the Configure/Use Keyboard menu.

Unlike the game Bio Menace which uses this game engine, this game does plays well on the Nokia tablet even if you leave the score box left on. However if you think the game is playing slow, you can turn this feature on or off in the Configure/Options menu.

Warning!!: There is a Boss key feature in Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy! If you hit the F9 key, it shows a DOS prompt. The F9 key is also the key I’ve remapped in the mappercsa.txt file for turning fullscreen on and off. So just be aware that if you use this key to flip fullscreen on or off, then the DOS prompt will appear. Hitting the Esc key will take you out of the DOS screen to the game.

Other Comments:
There is a simple game called Paddle War which is on the Main Menu. Play it for some extra retro fun action.

Positives: Great gameplay, graphics, music, and overall fun. This game oozes classic goodness!
Negatives: Absolutely none!

Overall game rating: 6 stars out of 5!

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:04
Commander Keen: Aliens Ate My Babysitter! ( http://www.commander-keen.com/aliens-ate-my-baby-sitter.php) – another Commander Keen game by id software, Formgen, and Apogee in the fantastic side-scrolling game series, with great graphics and music like Goodbye Galaxy! This game like Goodbye Galaxy is one of the best classic scroller games ever made for the PC, and now plays fantastic on the Nokia tablets!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/commanderkeen6.png ( http://www.commander-keen.com/aliens-ate-my-baby-sitter.php)

Download Episode 6 (shareware version) here ( http://www.commander-keen.com/download-keen-6.php).

Settings:
cpu cycles 575
render frameskip 8
mixer prebuffer 400

Game Executable: K6DEMO.EXE

Controls:
Ctrl – jump
Alt – pogo
Space - fire
Custom configure them in the Configure/Use Keyboard menu.

Unlike the game Bio Menace which uses this game engine, this game does plays well on the Nokia tablet if you leave the score box left on. However if you think the game is playing slow, you can turn this feature on or off in the Configure/Options menu.

Warning!!: There is a Boss key feature in Commander Keen: Aliens Ate My Babysitter! If you hit the F9 key, it shows a DOS prompt. The F9 key is also the key I’ve remapped in the mappercsa.txt file for turning fullscreen on and off. So just be aware that if you use this key to flip fullscreen on or off, then the DOS prompt will appear. Hitting the Esc key will take you out of the DOS screen to the game.

Other Comments:
There is a simple game called Paddle War which is on the Main Menu. Play it for some extra retro fun action.

Positives: Just like Goodbye Galaxy…great gameplay, graphics, music, and overall fun. This game oozes gooey goodness!
Negative: Only one episode!

Overall game rating: 6 stars out of 5!

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:04
Secret Agent (http://www.3drealms.com/agent/index.html) – a scrolling action game in the usual Apogee fashion. You are Agent 006 searching for stolen blueprints on the island headquarters of DV5. Be careful because there are plenty of enemies, traps, and danger!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/secretagent.png (http://www.3drealms.com/agent/index.html)

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode) here (ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/1sa10a.zip).

Game Executable: SAM1.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 700
render frameskip 0

Controls:
Arrow keys – move around
Ctrl – jump
Alt – fire
Esc (during gameplay) – options menu so you can reconfigure the keyboard, save or load a game, and other useful things.

Positives: Good gameplay, animations, and fun.
Negative: There is a small problem with XKBD and using the menus (see below).

DosBox Issues: A minor irritation is that sometimes you might have to hit a key with the XKBD keyboard several times in the menus for the game to respond. There is no such problem when I use my Bluetooth keyboard. Since the problem is so minor, I didn’t deduct anything off the score I would normally give this game.
Overall game rating: 4.4 stars out of 5

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:05
Crystal Caves (http://www.3drealms.com/caves/index.html) – yet another scrolling action game in the usual Apogee fashion. You are Mylo Steamwitz, space trader, scouring the galaxy for treasure. Your current adventure takes you in the search for crystals in the caves of this alien planet. Your crystal collecting won’t be easy since you have to fight past aliens and other menacing dangers.

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/crystalcaves.png (http://www.3drealms.com/caves/index.html)

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode) here (ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/1cc10a.zip).

Game Executable: CC1.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 700
render frameskip 1

Controls:
Arrow keys – move around
Ctrl – jump
Alt – fire (also action key)
F1 (during gameplay) – reconfigure the keyboard settings.

Positives: Good gameplay, animations, and fun.
Negative: There is a small problem with XKBD and using the menus (see below).

DosBox Issues: A minor irritation is that sometimes you might have to hit a key with the XKBD keyboard several times in the menus for the game to respond. There is no such problem when I use my Bluetooth keyboard. Since the problem is so minor, I didn’t deduct anything off the score I would normally give this game.
Overall game rating: 4.4 stars out of 5

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:06
Hocus Pocus (http://www.3drealms.com/hocus/index.html) – a side-scroller from Apogee with beautiful smooth graphics! You are Hocus traveling through different magical realms to prove your worthiness in magic to the head wizard Terexin. Of course to prove that worthiness, you must face lots of dangers and enemies,….even dragons!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/hocuspocus.png (http://www.3drealms.com/hocus/index.html)

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode) here ( ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/1hp11.zip).

Game Executable: HOCUS.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 600
render frameskip 5
mixer prebuffer 400

Controls:
Custom configure Left, Right, Up, Down, Jump and Fire in the Change Game Options menu.

Important!! – Before you start the game, run the separate program SETUP.EXE to set the soundcard you want for sound and/or music and to select the keyboard for input. I found the game runs much faster and smoother with music turned to OFF.

Important!! – Set game playing speed to Fast in the Change Game Options menu.

Positives: Very nice colorful graphics and fast smooth gameplay.
Negatives: The game loads a tad slow. Also the game is a bit repetitive on the gameplay.

DosBox Issues: Slow loading of the game. No deduction on my game rating since this doesn’t affect gameplay.

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:06
Paganitzu (http://www.3drealms.com/paganitzu/index.html) – a very fun puzzle action game from Apogee! You explore an Aztec pyramid as Alabama Smith, encountering traps, danger, and menacing creatures.

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/paganitzu.png (http://www.3drealms.com/paganitzu/index.html)

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode here ( ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/1paga.zip).

Game Executable: PAGA1.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 800
render frameskip 1

Controls:
Arrow keys – move around
P – pause the action
F6 – play Al’s next life when he’s dead or trapped
Enter – exit out of dialog boxes
Esc – pulls up menu while in game to save, restore, quit, etc.

Positives: The game is perfect for the Nokia tablet since you mostly just use the directional keys. It has lots of action puzzles that make it fun to play. What more could you want?

Overall game rating: 4.5 stars out of 5

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:07
Mystic Towers (http://www.3drealms.com/towers/index.html) – a very unique isometric-type game with action and puzzles…not another game quite like it. As old Baron Baldric you wield a magic staff against a wide variety of monsters and creatures.

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/mystictowers.png (http://www.3drealms.com/towers/index.html)

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode) here ( ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/1mystic.zip).

Game Executable: TOWERS.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 1200
render frameskip 3
sdl sensitivity 95
mixer prebuffer 400
sdl autolock true

Controls:
Arrow keys – move around
Ctrl – action button
Alt – jump (short or long press to make a small or large jump)
Bkspace – pull an object
Space – scroll forward through spells

I found controlling the Baron much easier using the mouse (tapping on the screen with the arrow in the movement boxes at the bottom middle part of the screen). Be sure and read the Instructions from the main menu to learn all the intricacies of the game.

Important!! – Be sure and set the Sound Option to Digital-Lo and if you want the display brighter set Room Lighting as Extra Bright in the System Config menu.

Positives: This game is quite unique in that you play as an old warty man who farts and picks his nose, and that’s one of the things that makes this game fun to play. The animations of the Baron are fun to watch and the sounds he makes are hilarious. And of course there are lots of puzzles to solve and deadly monsters to fight and kill. It’s quite amazing that a game like this that was released in 1994 with its animations plus digital sound and music play quite well on the Nokia tablet.
Negative: Controlling the Baron using the directional keys takes a bit getting used to (the mouse is much better IMO!).

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:08
Pharoah’s Tomb ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh's_Tomb) – a very early Apogee game starring Nevada Smith. You are exploring an Egyptian pyramid with lots of traps and enemies. Each level plays on a single screen (no scrolling) and is action-packed!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/pharoahstomb.png ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh's_Tomb)

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode) here ( http://www.classicdosgames.com/apogee/1ptomb.zip).

Game Executable: PTOMB1.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 200
dosbox machine cga
render frameskip 0

Controls:
Arrow keys – move around
Spacel – jump
Ctr or Alt – throw spear (if you have one)
P – pause
S – save game
R – restore game

Positives: The game is simple and fun. It’s one of those addictive games where you say, “Just one more time!”
Negatives: This might be too retro for some players. Also Apogee has discontinued the game, so this shareware episode is the only episode you can legally get right now.

Overall game rating: 4 stars out of 5

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:08
Arctic Adventure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Adventure_(computer_game)) – a very early Apogee game and is a sequel to Pharoah’s Tomb. You play as Nevada Smith trying to find Viking treasure in the Arctic. Each level plays on a single screen (no scrolling) and is action-packed!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/arcticadventure.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Adventure_(computer_game))

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode) here ( http://www.classicdosgames.com/apogee/1arctic.zip).

Game Executable: AA1.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 250
dosbox machine cga
render frameskip 0

Controls:
Arrow keys – move around
Spacel – jump
Ctr or Alt – fire gun (if you have one)
P – pause
S – save game (only on map screen)
R – restore game (only on map screen)

Positives: The game is simple and fun. It’s one of those addictive games where you say, “Just one more time!”
Negatives: This might be too retro for some players. Also Apogee has discontinued the game, so this shareware episode is the only episode you can legally get right now.

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:09
Monuments of Mars ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monuments_of_Mars) – a very early Apogee game where you are an astronaut exploring the monuments on Mars (hence the name of the game!). The game uses the same game engine as Pharoah’s Tomb and Arctic Adventure. Each level plays on a single screen (no scrolling) and is action-packed!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/monumentsmars.png ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monuments_of_Mars)

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode) here ( http://www.classicdosgames.com/apogee/1mars.zip).

Game Executable: MARS1.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 300
dosbox machine cga
render frameskip 0

Controls:
Arrow keys – move around
Ctr - jump
Alt - shoot
Esc – pause or quit game
S – save game (only on map screen)
R – restore game (only on map screen)

Be sure and select the correct key configuration in the Config Keyboard screen off the main menu.

Positives: The game is simple and fun. It’s one of those addictive games where you say, “Just one more time!”.

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:09
Monster Bash (http://www.3drealms.com/bash/index.html) – a scroller with gruesome gaphics! You are Johnny Dash armed with your slingshot on a mission through the Under World to rescue all the dogs and cats so they won’t be turned into an army of undead animals by Count Chuck!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/monsterbash.png (http://www.3drealms.com/bash/index.html)

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode) here ( ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/1bash21.zip).

Game Executable: BASH1.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 1000
render frameskip 2
mixer prebuffer 500

Controls:
Arrow keys – move around
Ctr - jump
Alt – shoot

The controls can be reconfigured using Game Settings off the main menu.

Warning!!: Be sure music is turned off. The game can’t handle all the animations and play music at the same time in DosBox on the Nokia tablet.

Positives: The game is quite fun since you’re always using a slingshot to shoot. Not only can you shoot rocks, but rockets and fireballs! It’s simply amazing that this game plays so well with all the animation going on.
Negatives: The game’s animations in a few parts go too fast to correctly display. But that’s just a minor irritation in this fantastic game.

DosBox Issues: Fast game animations in some parts of the game don’t display properly. There’s also some sound hiccupping now and again in the game. Both are irritations so I’m deducting ½ point off the score I would normally give this game.

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:11
Duke Nukem I ( http://www.3drealms.com/duke1/index.html) – This is the game that started it all! Duke is on a mission to stop Dr. Proton from ruling the world. Side-scrolling action at its best with fantastic animation, four-way scrolling, and lots of devious enemies. This one is fun, fun, fun!!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/dukenukem1.png ( http://www.3drealms.com/duke1/index.html)

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode) here ( ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/1duke.zip).

Game Executable: DN1.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 600
render frameskip 0

Controls:
Arrow keys – move around
Ctr - jump
Alt – shoot
Up Arrow – action key
Esc – pause or quit game

You can reconfigure the keys by selecting Game Config from the main menu. Unfortunately you can’t do this using the XKBD keyboard. It just won’t recognize the key to get into that menu. You need an external keyboard to do it. Plus the keys to save or quit games won’t work using the XKBD keyboard either. So…
Warning!!: You can’t play through this game without an external keyboard!

Positives: This game is great blasting fun! There’s lots and lots to shoot and do…action everywhere! I love this game. If you have an external keyboard to play this game, I highly recommend it.
Negative: This game can only be played with an external keyboard since the game won’t recognize the key presses on the XKBD keyboard to quit or save games. Quite unfortunate! If someone knows of a solution, please post!

DosBox Issues: That darn XKBD keyboard problem with qutting and saving games (see above). Because of this irritation, I have to deduct ½ point off the normal score I would give this game.

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:11
Duke Nukem II ( http://www.3drealms.com/duke2/index.html) – This is the sequel to the game that started it all! Duke is on a mission to stop the Rigelatins from ruling the world. Side-scrolling action at its absolute best with fantastic animation, lots of enemies such as aliens, robo-droids, guards, plus 4 different types of weapons. Like the previous game of the series, this one is very fun to play!!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/dukenukem2.png ( http://www.3drealms.com/duke2/index.html)

Download Episode 1 (shareware episode) here ( ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/4duke.zip).

Game Executable: NUKEM2.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 1200
render frameskip 9
sblaster sbtype none

Controls:
Arrow keys – move around
Ctr - jump
Alt – shoot
Up Arrow – action key
Esc – pause or quit game

You can reconfigure the keys in the Game Options/Configure Keyboard menu. Also you can speed up or slow down the game in the Game Options menu too. You can try turning the cool SoundBlaster sounds on in the Game Options menu (also set sblaster sbtype sb1 and cpu cycles down) but I think the game plays a bit smoother with just PC sounds.

Positives: This game is another game with lots of great blasting fun!
Negative: Sometimes the game might seem just a tad sluggish.

DosBox Issues: Because of a spot of sluggishness, I have to deduct ½ point off the overall score I would normally give this game.

Pushwall
2008-04-09, 22:12
There you have it. No excuse not to use DosBox! Let’s get playing!! :D

Laughing Man
2008-04-10, 01:17
Lack of Oregon Trail = failure. :P

Addison
2008-04-10, 02:37
Wow Push! I had no idea that you used to be a game developer!

What happened?

Thanks for the detailed list, you put in quite a bit of time writing all of that up.

I'll definitely check out all of your suggestions once I figure out how to get Rubybox back.

I was trying out KotCzarny's xvkbd keyboard just before my tablet puked on me and all of the same problems with his port still occurred under Dosbox like that with using ArnimS's version. So I'm not all too sure what's all going on there and why some games respond to a virtual keyboard and some don't.

Oh, and what's up with your bizarro game ratings?

6 out of 5? You know that's not possible right?

And 4.4 out of 5?

Dude, do you seriously have some type of ******ed gorilla math complex? :D

Thanks again man! Hope you can keep contributing to this thread!

heathenbastich
2008-04-10, 03:34
This is great, I remember downloading demos of a lot of these games from bulletin boards at 2400 baud!

Wow, this makes me feel ....
OLD!

but other than that it's great to see that so many games can be played on the n8x0

ukki
2008-04-10, 04:47
Wow Pushwall, you are on fire. This got me thinking. If there are lots of freeware dos games out there, should we add a feature to rubybox that allows people to download and install these games?

Pushwall
2008-04-10, 11:54
Wow Pushwall, you are on fire. This got me thinking. If there are lots of freeware dos games out there, should we add a feature to rubybox that allows people to download and install these games?
Oh yes, another great idea yukki. Since most of these freeware games are relatively small downloads, it would make it so much easier to share and play these games. Besides having ported games, this would open up a large library of playable games for everyone.

Pushwall
2008-04-10, 12:14
Addison I wasn't a game developer though I was offered a job by a well-known company as a game producer. Rather I was a beta-tester who lucked into designing a bunch of levels for a couple of games. My good-paying day job strongly influenced my decision not to continue in the game industry.

Bizarro ratings? My ratings are based on how I feel at the time I'm playing the game. Too much coffee or alcohol can definitely affect my mood and the score. 4.4 just felt right at the time,...I think,...I don't remember,...must've been after a long night of televison or something. :D And yes, 6 out of 5 is possible if it's a perfect game. Seems lots of good games get that 5 out of 5 score. Only the top elite deserve the impossible 6 out of 5 score! ;)

And what is up with those virtual keyboards? I remember someone making an observation in one of the threads that XKBD worked when a bluetooth keyboard was connected. Very strange. Hopefully someone will figure all this weirdness out.

Get that RubyBox working. I need more of your game suggestions! :D

ukki
2008-04-11, 21:56
Ok boys and girls, new RubyBox version is almost ready. It has a game downloader now. But there are few buts.

Most games need to be installed before you can play them. It's annoying to have to run setup and then setup the game again. I guess repackaging the games that have setup is the only way to go here to make the download feature useful. Anyone willing to help with this?

Repackaging games means we need to host them ourselves of find a server to host the files. Anyone willing to help with this one?

I'll try to find some games that don't need installing and release 0.3 this weekend with few games to download just to test the feature.

Pushwall
2008-04-12, 02:31
Sure, ukki, I'll try to give some help on this one. It's not like we'll have a massive onslaught of downloaders from the Nokia tablet community and require huge bandwidth. ;) I'll have to wait until I get into the office on Monday though. Just let me know what "installed" games you want hosted and I'll give you the ip address and directory for downloading access.

Addison
2008-04-12, 03:22
My one request would be to also have the option to mount the floppy drive as well, only if needed of course.

I've got a really great version of Nethack for DOS.

It has been patched with colored walls, colored hit points, and colors for blessed/cursed objects as well but nothing else besides that.

If possible, I'd be willing to upload it if anyone would like that done.

And yeah, I'd like to upload more settings and junk for a bunch of other games as well, but it won't be until Tuesday or possible Wednesday when I'll have the free time to do so.

Stupid life. :(

ukki
2008-04-12, 19:51
New release. Fixed bugs, made few usability improvements, added simple help text (please post grammar corrections when you find them) and added the game download feature. The download process is a bit slow but luckily the games are usually small too. This feature added unzip dependency to RubyBox but unzip can be easily found from extras. Please test and report bugs.

We need freeware games though.

rubybox_0.3.3.deb (http://pupnik.de/rubybox_0.3.3.deb)

Pushwall
2008-04-13, 02:23
Thanks for another update ukki....I'll check it out straightaway! I'm interested in testing that download feature.

Pushwall
2008-04-13, 02:24
Epic Pinball (http://www.dmwright.com/pinball/epic/) – Amazing smooth-scrolling pinball from Epic Megagames! You’ll be amazed that this 386 PC game looks and plays so well on the Nokia tablet!

http://pushstuff.inoutbox.com/epicpinball.png (http://www.dmwright.com/pinball/epic/)

Download Super Android table (shareware version) here ( http://www.dmwright.com/pinball/files/epicpn21.zip).

Game Executable: PINBALL.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 1300
render frameskip 0
sblaster sbtype none
sdl fullscreen true
(read here how mappercsa.txt changes key mappings)

Note: This game can use the full height of the screen, so be sure and set it to fullscreen before or during the game.

Controls:
Left & Right Arrow keys – left and right flippers
Space – hold to pull down plunger, release to launch ball,
during game press to nudge table up
/ – nudge table left (suggest use external keyboard for this)
Z – nudge table right (suggest use external keyboard for this)
P – pause game
S – turn sound on or off
T – adjust tracking (smoothness)
Enter – turn score window on or off (turning it off shows more of the table)
Esc – quit game

Important!! – Before you start the game, run the separate program SETUP.EXE to set the soundcard to PC sounds or None. If you want Soundblaster sounds you’re out of luck since it slows the game way down and the sound hiccups quite a bit.

Important!! – I couldn’t get the game to accept my initials using the XKBD keyboard. I had to hit either the Ctrl or Alt key and then the Esc key to get out of the dialog. If you have a big ego and just have to have your initials in the game then use an external keyboard.

Positives: This game plays fantastic on my Nokia N800. The graphics are colorful and the scrolling up and down is smoo-oo-ooth! If you like pinball, you’ll love playing this and will probably want to get the full registered version with 13 tables and the Extreme Pinball pack with 4 other tables.
Negative: The pinball table is too large to fill the entire screen and has to scroll up and down.

DosBox Issues: Because the PC sounds are just a tad laggy, I have to deduct ¼ point off the overall score I would normally give this game.

Pushwall
2008-04-15, 02:02
New release. Fixed bugs, made few usability improvements, added simple help text (please post grammar corrections when you find them) and added the game download feature. The download process is a bit slow but luckily the games are usually small too. This feature added unzip dependency to RubyBox but unzip can be easily found from extras. Please test and report bugs.

We need freeware games though.

Wow that download feature is cool. With any of those downloads also in the database for importing settings you'd have the whole shebang with fast easy access to running DOS games. I like! :D If you want when I get some time this week I'll zip up some of those freeware games I tested for download.

ukki
2008-04-15, 18:48
Wow that download feature is cool. With any of those downloads also in the database for importing settings you'd have the whole shebang with fast easy access to running DOS games. I like! :D If you want when I get some time this week I'll zip up some of those freeware games I tested for download.

Glad you like it. I made few adjustments and fixed few things and made a new release. It's updated at post 109 at page 11. I also made an admin page to easily add game links to database. It's not pretty, but gets the job done. I'll pm you the address and password if you want to add games.

Pushwall
2008-04-15, 19:33
Sure pm me and I'll try and add all those freeware/shareware games I tested sometime this week. BTW, the zipped files need a game directory with the game data, right? (instead of just the game data)

Addison
2008-04-17, 08:11
This post most likely goes out to Pushwall but anyone else can respond as well if you're feeling a little frisky.

I was thinking about having a second joystick mapper file.

It would treat the Dpad and buttons as though it were a joystick.

The thing is, Xkbd doesn't seem to appreciate pressing Ctrl-F1 to get to the mapper screen in Dosbox.

Push, since you have a bluetooth keyboard, care to do this favor for me?

Mapping the Dpad as a joystick might have a few benefits.

For one, it could have better support for some games that aren't working all too well with Xkbd or touch screen mouse.

Because the joystick has two buttons, you wouldn't need to keep making a whole bunch of other mapper files since the two buttons will always be the same.

Lastly, you can set the joystick to autofire which always is an extra welcome, especially when playing a game while drunk or when having sex with that special someone in the dark.

Yeah? :D

I already asked OSEmutech but haven't heard back from him so hopefully you or someone else can take on this challenge.

Thanks.

Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease.

Pushwall
2008-04-18, 11:50
After mowing grass and all the yard work I've got lined up for this weekend, I'll hopefully have some time to give it a shot. Can't promise the results but hopefully it'll work.

Addison
2008-04-18, 20:18
After mowing grass and all the yard work I've got lined up for this weekend, I'll hopefully have some time to give it a shot. Can't promise the results but hopefully it'll work.

That reminds me, I probably should do some mowing myself this weekend.

My lawn is so out of control that I've even had a couple of neighbors stop by asking me if it would be okay if they could hunt in my front yard.

Probably not a good sign. :o

ukki
2008-04-18, 20:36
That reminds me, I probably should do some mowing myself this weekend.

My lawn is so out of control that I've even had a couple of neighbors stop by asking me if it would be okay if they could hunt in my front yard.

Probably not a good sign. :o

I know the feeling, mowing my lawn is like mowing on a swamp so I do it way too seldom. And I like to keep it long to hide all the mole holes.

So did you get RubyBox running again? I think you might be missing one ruby-package, I fixed the dependency in the latest version, so installing that might help you solve it.

Addison
2008-04-19, 13:26
So did you get RubyBox running again? I think you might be missing one ruby-package, I fixed the dependency in the latest version, so installing that might help you solve it.

Yeah, I got it back to working a couple of days ago but wanted to keep quiet due to utter shame and embarassment.

Turns out that somehow I had installed the wrong version of Dosbox, the wrong version of Xkbd, and tripled that up with the wrong dependency for Rubybox.

At least I'm trying to hit rock bottom with my incompetence. :D

ArnimS
2008-04-19, 14:47
Solar Winds (http://www.dosgamesonline.com/index/game/274/Solar_Winds.html) – Shareware Role-Playing Space Adventure

http://pupnik.de/DOS/Solar_Winds.png

Game Executable: SOLAR1.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 600
render frameskip 5
sblaster sbtype sb2

Positives: Just played a few minutes of this, but I'm pretty impressed. It draws you into the plot right away. Controls are easy to understand and use. (disable mouse/joystick in the in-game config). If you're looking for an alternative to the immortal Star Control II (Ur-Quan Masters) this is one to try.

DosBox Issues: Might need a custom mapper.txt for N810 users.
Not for those with low self esteem. The game begins with an alien insulting you.
"KAA! The rumors are to be believed. The ugliness of you puny beings is more than repulsive. I needed to see for myself before leaving this system what your race looks like. Now I know. You are disgusting." :)

(edit) This is available as an online download with the awesome new rubybox frontend. If you ain't usin rubybox yet, you are missing out!

Thanks to pushwall for the excellent game uploads, configs and descriptions.

Pushwall
2008-04-20, 20:49
This post most likely goes out to Pushwall but anyone else can respond as well if you're feeling a little frisky.

I was thinking about having a second joystick mapper file.

It would treat the Dpad and buttons as though it were a joystick.

Not much luck doing this. FIrst my bluetooth keyboard wouldn't pull up the mapper screen. So I looked to see if I could get something like this working over on the PC side so I could copy it over. I set the joystick type in dosbox.conf to 2axis and tried using my remapped mapper.txt file in some games. It just wouldn't recognize the remapped joystick settings with the keyboard. I even tried changing the joystick settings in my mapper.txt file on my N800 but nada there too. I'm kinda stumped right now and feeling stupid. :confused:

Pushwall
2008-04-20, 20:54
Solar Winds (http://www.dosgamesonline.com/index/game/274/Solar_Winds.html) – Shareware Role-Playing Space Adventure

OMG! This is a game I had beta-tested an early version of way back when, and had totally forgotten about it. I never got around to playing the final released version so I'm going to have some fun with this. Thanks for putting this one up, ArnimS! :cool:

jhoff80
2008-04-21, 16:24
For the record, someone asked about Oregon Trail and it does work, all I did was turn SBtype to SB1, frameskip to 2, and fullscreen, and it works well.

Edit: This is using "Oregon Trail Deluxe" because I know there's a few versions. I'd imagine the original would work just as well, but this is the one I played more as a kid.

klinglerware
2008-04-21, 19:53
As you would suspect, Civilization works with a couple of slight tweaks:

You need the mouse fix:
autolock=false
frameskip=0
priority=highest,normal

cycles:
I would set it at 1200. Things will run fine for most of your game at the default setting (800), but things will become more and more unstable in the later stages of the game. I stopped having problems with the setting at 1200, but I suspect that you could bump it up a little more if you see that the game crashes at that setting.

Also, if you use xkbd, using Addison's layout is more or less required in order to keep your sanity.

Finally, I don't run it with sound since it isn't crucial to game play (select 'no sound' in the opening menus of the game). I haven't fooled with the DosBox settings too much but my initial impression is that using soundblaster results in choppiness unless you decrease CPU cycles to 400 or so. But, the sound appears to cut out eventually anyway. And even if it didn't, the game will tend to crash at CPU cycle setting...

ukki
2008-04-21, 20:25
New RubyBox version (post updated at page 11). Little tweaks here and there, settings are now imported automatically after download and added a RubyBox update feature. Hope I left some nasty some bugs so we can test the update feature. Thank you Pushwall for all your hard work with the online content.

ArnimS
2008-04-21, 21:45
As you would suspect, Civilization works with a couple of slight tweaks:

You need the mouse fix:
autolock=false
frameskip=0

Maybe some technical information would be appropriate here.

I'm surprised to see some people running games at frameskip 0. This means dosbox tries to update the screen at 60 frames per second. The Nokia tablets can not do this.

Full 640x400 screen refreshes on the N800 are limited to below 30fps (frameskip 2+).

Dosbox does have a dirty buffer algorithm. This means that screen areas with no changes do not get redrawn needlessly on the tablet display. This means a game with a mostly static display and only a few animations can under certain circumstances refresh those regions at 60fps. I haven't yet seen a game where this actually works.

(edit) IF you use Dosbox, TRY Rubybox! It'll rox your sox off! :D

desiv
2008-04-21, 22:06
Question on Rubybox
I went to install it. I installed Ruby from Arnims page (I have OS2006).
I went to install RubyBox, and after I selected where to install (Extras), it was installing and crashed.
Rebooted.

It was on the menu, but didn't run. I went to the App installer, and it wasn't listed, so I reinstalled it. This time, it said it installed OK. But it doesn't do anything when I select it.

I decided to try to launch it manually, but rubybox does nothing on the command line. There is a command rbox_launcher that sounds promising, but when I run it, I get an error /usr/bin/dosboxbin: not found.

True, it's not there. There is a dosbox, but no dosboxbin.

Any help would be... er.. um.. helpful.

:-)

Thanx,

desiv

p.s. I can launch dosbox from the terminal.

ukki
2008-04-21, 22:17
Question on Rubybox
I went to install it. I installed Ruby from Arnims page (I have OS2006).
I went to install RubyBox, and after I selected where to install (Extras), it was installing and crashed.
Rebooted.

It was on the menu, but didn't run. I went to the App installer, and it wasn't listed, so I reinstalled it. This time, it said it installed OK. But it doesn't do anything when I select it.

I decided to try to launch it manually, but rubybox does nothing on the command line. There is a command rbox_launcher that sounds promising, but when I run it, I get an error /usr/bin/dosboxbin: not found.

True, it's not there. There is a dosbox, but no dosboxbin.

Any help would be... er.. um.. helpful.

Thanx,

desiv

p.s. I can launch dosbox from the terminal.

ArnimS dosbox for 2006 is different from 2008 version and it's missing stuff that RubyBox needs. I haven't tested RubyBox on os2006 anymore because of that, but I think it can be used to download games. I'll test it with my 770 and let you know. The command to launch it from the terminal is 'rbox'. I'll check with ArnimS if it's possible to make it fully work on 2006 too.

desiv
2008-04-21, 22:37
Thanx, this is the error I get:

/media/mmc1/Downloads $ rbox
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/glib2.rb: line 45
(null)-WARNING **:"HILDON_ICON_SIZE_26" doesn't have prefix "GTK_ICON_SIZE_"
(null)-WARNING **:"HILDON_ICON_SIZE_40" doesn't have prefix "GTK_ICON_SIZE_"
(null)-WARNING **:"HILDON_ICON_SIZE_50" doesn't have prefix "GTK_ICON_SIZE_"
(null)-WARNING **:"HILDON_ICON_SIZE_64" doesn't have prefix "GTK_ICON_SIZE_"
./launcher.rb:20:in `initialize': undefined method `level_indentation=' for #<Gtk::TreeView:0x412eb3d0 ptr=0x23d590> (NoMethodError)
from rbox.rb:76:in `new'
from rbox.rb:76:in `create_layout'
from rbox.rb:27:in `initialize'
from rbox.rb:238:in `new'
from rbox.rb:238:in `initialize'
from rbox.rb:243:in `new'
from rbox.rb:243

desiv

ukki
2008-04-21, 22:45
Thanx, this is the error I get:

/media/mmc1/Downloads $ rbox
(null)-WARNING **:"HILDON_ICON_SIZE_26" doesn't have prefix "GTK_ICON_SIZE_"
(null)-WARNING **:"HILDON_ICON_SIZE_40" doesn't have prefix "GTK_ICON_SIZE_"
(null)-WARNING **:"HILDON_ICON_SIZE_50" doesn't have prefix "GTK_ICON_SIZE_"
(null)-WARNING **:"HILDON_ICON_SIZE_64" doesn't have prefix "GTK_ICON_SIZE_"
./launcher.rb:20:in `initialize': undefined method `level_indentation=' for #<Gtk::TreeView:0x412eb3d0 ptr=0x23d590> (NoMethodError)
from rbox.rb:76:in `new'
from rbox.rb:76:in `create_layout'
from rbox.rb:27:in `initialize'
from rbox.rb:238:in `new'
from rbox.rb:238:in `initialize'
from rbox.rb:243:in `new'
from rbox.rb:243

desiv

Yes, I noticed that too. I did get it running, but everything doesn't work properly. I've used GTK stuff that isn't present in 2006, but it's easy to change. I'll try to release a new version this week that runs on 2006 too.

desiv
2008-04-21, 22:53
Thanx.

No rush.

Just take your time, and imagine yourself and everyone else eating a wonderful meal at a fancy restaurant, and I'm outside the window staring in at you!

desiv

p.s. Yes, I know, this is another reason that I should upgrade. :-)
Seriously, no rush. I'm very patient.. :-)

Tuxedosteve
2008-04-23, 10:01
Does anyone know how to get music working with Ultima IV? Rubybox says import settings is available but can't actually find any when I try.

ukki
2008-04-23, 11:56
Does anyone know how to get music working with Ultima IV? Rubybox says import settings is available but can't actually find any when I try.

Thanks for noticing, changed it to "has no settings". Hopefully someone will export settings for it.

Pushwall
2008-04-23, 12:54
Does anyone know how to get music working with Ultima IV?
The original DOS port of Ultima IV has no music or mouse support. There is an upgrade patch (http://www.moongates.com/u4/upgrade/Upgrade.htm) available that upgrades the graphics and adds music, but supposedly the patch only works when running the game under Windows.

EDIT: Just for grins I applied the upgrade patch to see if it works. Well it seems to definitely add the music, but not so sure about the updated graphics since I didn't have time to play the game past the intro. Anyway, I put the updated version up for download through RubyBox and also exported some settings to the database that seem to allow the game to run fine with the music and sound. If there are any problems let me know since I haven't thoroughly tested the game.

EDIT2: Yes the graphics are updated in this version too. Even though the update page says it won't run in DOS, it does seem to run fine in DOSBox! Very nice! :cool:

ukki
2008-04-23, 22:28
Just take your time, and imagine yourself and everyone else eating a wonderful meal at a fancy restaurant, and I'm outside the window staring in at you!

You can stop staring now. RubyBox now works with os2006 with few problems.

For some reason I can't make the settings list to show the loaded settings correctly on os2006. So even though some setting is selected, it lists them all unselected. So when you select a setting that is actually selected, it unselects it. So editing game settings is somewhat hard. But if you change settings for the first time, it should work properly. You can import settings normally, but they are for n8x0, so they are probably too high for 770.

RubyBox doesn't show an icon on task list (believe me, I've tried) so you need to get out of dosbox to get to rubybox again.

Rest should work normally, only slower.

I made the settings device based so you can see the device it was exported from when importing. Also fixed few bugs so everyone should update.

People with the latest version should get it via the update feature. Rest can get it here (http://nakkiboso.com/rubybox_0.3.4.deb)

Report bugs as usual.

desiv
2008-04-24, 15:27
That did it, thanx!

Of course, DOSBOX is slower on the 770. :-(

Also, xkbd doesn't work in fullscreen (It pops up, but no key strokes are registered. I'll see if there's a newer version) and the default keymap doesn't have cursors, and the DPad isn't moving the character in Ultima IV and Keen1. So, I'll go look for the other xkbd (version and keymaps.) stuff.

Thanx,

desiv

ukki
2008-04-24, 16:35
That did it, thanx!

Of course, DOSBOX is slower on the 770. :-(

Also, xkbd doesn't work in fullscreen (It pops up, but no key strokes are registered. I'll see if there's a newer version) and the default keymap doesn't have cursors, and the DPad isn't moving the character in Ultima IV and Keen1. So, I'll go look for the other xkbd (version and keymaps.) stuff.

Thanx,

desiv

Yes, xkbd is flaky. Try disabling the fullscreen from settings (enable in your case :)) and press save. Start the game in window and use the fullscreen button to go to fullscreen if that works in 770's dosbox.

ukki
2008-05-18, 17:09
Small update to RubyBox. Fixed a game launch bug and added an automatic scan feature. Just copy new games/apps to either memory card and use the scan feature to add them to RubyBox. Get it here (http://nakkiboso.com/rubybox_0.3.5.deb) or use the automatic update feature.

Pushwall
2008-05-20, 02:50
Is it my imagination or does XKBD work fine now when games are launched full-screen? I've tested a few that had problems before and now they seem to work fine. I'm going to test again tomorrow to make sure. If so, this is a MAJOR update to RubyBox and I give a HUGE thank-you to ukki! :cool:

ukki
2008-05-20, 03:49
Sorry to disappoint you Push, I don't think this helps with that. I only fixed launching games that had spaces in their paths.

OID
2008-05-22, 19:01
Im trying to run: Dune 2 - work slow, Dune 1 - working very well, Civilization - Very Well, Return On Monkey Island 1 - Working nice with sound and good speed, C'n'C RA - very slooooooow :) game starting up to 30mins, right click doesn't work, not playable.

st5150
2008-05-23, 00:04
Has anyone tried to get Stunts by Broderbund / 4D Sports Driving by Mindscape running?

http://stunts.kalpen.de/allabout.htm

Addison
2008-06-18, 04:50
Well I can get ADOM, Nethack, Moria, and Doom Rogue to work but not Angband, Tome, Sangband, and Crawl (it just kicks me out of Dosbox).

I know for sure I had Angband and Tome working before (can't remember when though) but even Pushwall can't figure this out.

Any help on this?

Thanks!

Valeria
2008-08-13, 04:38
Hi, I have a problem with RubyBox. I imported a couple of configurations and after asking if I wanted to use the new name or keep the old RubyBox quits to desktop. It happens no matter my choice. After I reopen RubyBox everything works fine and the imported config is ok. Exporting works fine.
I have a N800 with OS2008 updated a few hours ago. RubyBox 0.3.5 and Dosbox 0.72-0.2. I didn't dare install xkbrd because I don't want to install things in red pill, specially if they are from another distribution.
Thanks

pd: requestion, could you add a filter when browsing for the executable? some games have tons of data files and it is hard to find the .exe or .bat

edit: I just found out that my "just updated" was not so. I am one of those with the broken update, so maybe that is the cause. It will take me a while to fix because I can't get wireless easily, so ignore the bug report.

ukki
2008-08-13, 21:19
Wow, a bug report :) This came at a very bad time though, I'm going away for 3 weeks. But please start the rubybox from xterminal with a command rbox and pm me the output when it crashes and tell me what game is causing it. I promise to fix it and release an update. A whopping 45 users now, I wonder how many people are actually actively using it :) Also if you have any other suggestions, please share them.

Btw, manually adding a game is so 0.1ish, just use the automatic scan and choose the executable from the dropdown list :)

EDIT: Found the bug, happened with every game so it had to be diablo related. Just use the automatic update feature of RubyBox to upgrade. Please report if there are more of those.

Valeria
2008-08-14, 21:56
nice, as soon as I have time to go to a wifi spot i'll test.

edit: great! works perfect

sinosure
2008-08-16, 10:22
a chinese RPG game:Chinese Love Story Of Fairy and Sword (仙剑奇侠传)

download from here (http://218.57.9.23/demo/d418c_2006-09-16_11046.rar)

Game Executable: pal!.exe

http://www.myhtpc.com.cn/attachments/month_0808/20080813_b70e02d97477ae21cbd0ZF8GJ16JHNDZ.png

http://www.myhtpc.com.cn/attachments/month_0808/20080813_6a8016d9d0d8cb57d382z9ByqRUU2Jsw.png.thum b.jpg

peperoni
2008-08-16, 12:39
Have anyone tried playing Ufo/Xcom on Dosbox? To play it properly it requires the use of both left and right mouse button so is that a problem?

Serge
2008-08-24, 09:01
As far as I understand it, there is some work in progress developing dosbox dynamic core for ARM: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=19193

Nyrath
2008-09-10, 02:04
Strategic Studies Group's Reach For The Stars (http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=886) works quite well, but an ancient game with ascii graphics isn't much of a strain for DOSBox.

Nyrath
2008-09-11, 01:14
I also found that when trying to run Master of Orion 1.3, it initially would not work. qx773 showed me the trick: you first have to run the INSTALL.EXE program, and turn off the sound card. Then it runs fine.

fgs
2008-09-12, 20:26
Prince of Persia
Dosbox 0.72 diablo (n8x0) build #2
cycles 1000
Runs/installs fine on n800. Speaker sound slightly choppy.

notladstyle
2008-10-01, 03:27
Add Ascendancy to the list - One of the best Turn based strategy games ever.

Dosbox .72
Tested on N810

Runs decently with sound off, runs slow with sound on but still playable if you have to have sound. It should be playable on an N800 without a need for keyboard, you only need the escape key to get back to the main map.

It has a video config (uvconfig.exe) that might yield improved performance with experimentation.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/notladstyle/n810/DosBoxAscendancy1Small.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/notladstyle/n810/DosBoxAscendancySmall.jpg

rkopper
2008-10-01, 09:47
Have anyone tried playing Ufo/Xcom on Dosbox? To play it properly it requires the use of both left and right mouse button so is that a problem?

While I haven't tried it, I would love to see this game run on my tablet. I played this for *countless* hours.. There was a port for pocket pc's and it runs very well on my x50.. If you need a copy to try, I understand it's available on some of the abandonware sites..

spock
2008-10-02, 07:36
Has anyone considered Daggerfall? :)

Also, there seem to be many sources of ruby, but none seem "official" to maemo (as in, not in one of the default repositories). Which ruby is best for OS2008+n810?

ukki
2008-10-02, 09:47
Has anyone considered Daggerfall? :)

Yes, in 2011.

Also, there seem to be many sources of ruby, but none seem "official" to maemo (as in, not in one of the default repositories). Which ruby is best for OS2008+n810?

If you want to use RubyBox, you need Ruby-Maemo for chinook. You may need to enable chinook extras for it to install though. Ruby will not appear in extras unless someone can convince Alterego to continue working on the bindings.

Get ruby from: http://pupnik.de/ruby.html

Bundyo
2008-10-02, 10:35
Nah, 2009 is a better target... Maybe June - August... and on another device :)

spock
2008-10-02, 15:39
What makes Daggerfall so tough? Aren't people running Quake 1 on the n810's? Is it the emulation causing the problem?

ukki
2008-10-02, 17:23
What makes Daggerfall so tough? Aren't people running Quake 1 on the n810's? Is it the emulation causing the problem?

Yes, tablet isn't i386 and emulating different arch isn't cheap. And Bethesda isn't releasing the source so native port is out of the question :(

stevieg
2008-12-06, 13:40
For any uk fans of football out there, Champ Manager 93 runs perfectly on dos box with no alterations.

Cannon Fodder also runs, however, I haven't worked out the controls yet.

Can anyone get Frontier - Elite 2 to run? I used to love this game, and for some reason, I think it would be great on a tablet

jamart3d
2009-01-05, 22:06
I've got Secret Weapons of The Luftwaffe (swotl ) running, though not perfect, sound is choppy..

Rajken
2009-01-06, 11:22
Runs decently with sound off, runs slow with sound on but still playable if you have to have sound. It should be playable on an N800 without a need for keyboard, you only need the escape key to get back to the main map.

I can't return to main map :( How to press Esc on n810?

Addison
2009-02-12, 06:10
Death Gate - CD version

Good animations when they occur onscreen.
Perfectly sounding voice overs, it's smooth with no studdering whatsoever.
Obviously the cut scenes run fairly chunky.
And of course I installed the game with no background music.

Technical notes: Touching anywhere outside of the picture screen is the same as right clicking on the mouse.
Having the character voices tremendously improves gameplay enjoyment.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8822/screenshot2009021014320mr9.png

Overall: 4 1/2 stars our of 5.

The configuration settings should be available for download using Ukki's Rubybox.

Pushwall
2009-02-12, 13:49
Looks like a cool game to try, Addison. Thanks for the info. :cool: Unfortunately right now my N800 is experiencing the infamous looping bug where it never gets to the menu screen (the 2nd time this has happened). So I'll have to spend the next day or so to reload everything and get it back to the way it was. :mad:

ltrinh
2009-02-13, 00:14
Silpheed works well.

I have been trying to play Ikari Warriors but I can't figure out what button I need to hit to do F1 and F2. I'm running the latest version of dosbox on an N810.

ioan
2009-02-13, 18:44
Supaplex (GREAT game) works perfect.
http://www.elmerproductions.com/sp/dlinst.html

Same with Lemmings
http://www.pcgaming.ws/viewgame.php?game=lemmings

skeletor666
2009-02-13, 21:50
Cool games..will try them..

BrentDC
2009-02-14, 00:02
Death Gate - CD version

Good animations when they occur onscreen.
Perfectly sounding voice overs, it's smooth with no studdering whatsoever.
Obviously the cut scenes run fairly chunky.
And of course I installed the game with no background music.

Technical notes: Touching anywhere outside of the picture screen is the same as right clicking on the mouse.
Having the character voices tremendously improves gameplay enjoyment.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8822/screenshot2009021014320mr9.png

Overall: 4 1/2 stars our of 5.

The configuration settings should be available for download using Ukki's Rubybox.

Um, bit of a DosBox newb here... (just installed it today)

How did you get it to run?

I tried:

MOUNT D "/media/mmc1/Downloads/DGATE/"
D:
DGATE.exe

And all get is an error message about how it can't load stuff from the CD-ROM...

Any help appreciated.

Addison
2009-02-14, 07:54
Hey there BrentDC.

Whether you're a newb or not, you really need to install Rubybox first and foremost.

I would try to help you do that myself but it took quite some time for me to figure it all out, and when I finally got it working, I forgot what I did in the first place since it took so long. :(

Ukki should really post his own topic on this project, including a sure fire way of getting it installed, along with all of the dependencies required for it, how it works, and how to set up the configurations to download extra content and custom user contributions to his front end loader for all newcomers.

For someone who hasn't followed his work, I'm sure it might be a little overwhelming at first.

Until then, easiest thing to do is to install the game from CD onto your computer and then transfer all of that junk to your memory card.

If you're having any troubles installing, look inside the CD and read any text file that might have came with it. Most games have information to make the setup process much easier for those who are completely new to it all.

For Dosbox, here's a good read:
Dosbox basic setup (http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation_of_DosBox)

But really, just get yourself Rubybox and it will handle all of the mind numbing confusion that comes with Dosbox for you. :)

Post back if you have any luck.

ukki
2009-02-14, 08:21
One click install for RubyBox (http://nakkiboso.com/knots/rubybox.install). Installs all necessary dependencies, including DosBox. Just make sure you have extras enabled for unzip.

BrentDC
2009-02-14, 16:19
First and foremost, thank you for the reply.

Hey there BrentDC.

Whether you're a newb or not, you really need to install Rubybox first and foremost.

Yes, I actually did get that installed. I remember trying to install it back when I first bought my tablet a year ago, and failed miserably. (the tablet was my first linux device). But the second time around, it wasn't so tough ;)

I would try to help you do that myself but it took quite some time for me to figure it all out, and when I finally got it working, I forgot what I did in the first place since it took so long. :(

Ukki should really post his own topic on this project, including a sure fire way of getting it installed, along with all of the dependencies required for it, how it works, and how to set up the configurations to download extra content and custom user contributions to his front end loader for all newcomers.

For someone who hasn't followed his work, I'm sure it might be a little overwhelming at first.

The problem is, when I run it through RubyBox, it doesn't work either. Maybe there is some advanced setting in it to allow you to change the path...but I didn't see one (DGATE always wants to run itself off the cd-rom).

Until then, easiest thing to do is to install the game from CD onto your computer and then transfer all of that junk to your memory card.

If you're having any troubles installing, look inside the CD and read any text file that might have came with it. Most games have information to make the setup process much easier for those who are completely new to it all.

For Dosbox, here's a good read:
Dosbox basic setup (http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation_of_DosBox)

But really, just get yourself Rubybox and it will handle all of the mind numbing confusion that comes with Dosbox for you. :)

Post back if you have any luck.

That's the real problem; I don't actually have a CD of DG, just a .zip of all the files, and there is no 'ReadMe'. I'll see what I can come up with.

Addison
2009-02-14, 20:09
That's the real problem; I don't actually have a CD of DG, just a .zip of all the files, and there is no 'ReadMe'. I'll see what I can come up with.

Okay, not sure what you have on your end.

Most likely, after you unzipped it all, you probably should run setup.exe in case it also compressed the graphics as well.

Follow that up with running install.exe and choosing no music since it will chunk up the speed of the game.

Once you have it running through Dosbox on your computer, it should be the same when you transfer it to your tablet.

One nice little feature that would be great for Rubybox is for it to state exactly where Dosbox should think it's running from instead of always thinking that it's coming from the C: drive.

Like right now, there's a game I'm working on that has to run from c:\infogram\shadow.cd and nothing else.

I was going to problem solve for this over the weekend.

I believe it's just a matter of writing a simple .bat file that changes the way it's being mounted and having Rubybox point to that instead.

I'll try to post back on this much later tonight if I can find time to duck away from the wife.

Should be an easy fix though. :)

Addison
2009-02-15, 04:06
Hey, if you haven't already figured it out, which I'm sure you have, try doing the following.

Open up Notepad on your Windows computer and type in the following:
MOUNT D C:\media\mmc1\Dgate -t cdrom
d:
dgate

Save that document something like Dgate.bat making sure to change "save as type" from Text Documents (*.txt) to "All files"

Then place that Dgate.bat file into your folder for Death Gate.

When you run Rubybox, have it point to Dgate.bat that you just made.

Should work.

Post back if you got it running.

Cheers!

BrentDC
2009-02-15, 04:51
Hey, if you haven't already figured it out, which I'm sure you have, try doing the following.

Open up Notepad on your Windows computer and type in the following:
MOUNT D C:\media\mmc1\Dgate -t cdrom
d:
dgate

Save that document something like Dgate.bat making sure to change "save as type" from Text Documents (*.txt) to "All files"

Then place that Dgate.bat file into your folder for Death Gate.

When you run Rubybox, have it point to Dgate.bat that you just made.

Should work.

Post back if you got it running.

Cheers!

Hey, I just got it working tonight with this:

mount D: /media/mmc1/OS's/DOS/
D:
cd dgate
dgate

And that worked! I have no idea why, but it did. Thanks for your help, though. Really very much appreciated!

Addison
2009-02-15, 07:52
Hey, I just got it working tonight with this:

Good to hear!

So you've got speech and you were able to upload the configuration okay through Rubybox?

Anyway, this topic has been dead as of late, so if you have anything to contribute, make sure to post for it.

Cheers! :D

BrentDC
2009-02-15, 15:36
Good to hear!

So you've got speech and you were able to upload the configuration okay through Rubybox?

Anyway, this topic has been dead as of late, so if you have anything to contribute, make sure to post for it.

Cheers! :D

I didn't try speech, because it was late and didn't want to wake anyone up! ;) I'm not a big sound person when it comes to games anyhow.

I haven't been able to get it to work through Rubybox; those commands I did right through the DosBox prompt. I suppose if I write a .bat file it'll work...ugh, I haven't written a .bat file in a long time, I can hardly remember how to. (if it is anything other than Python I'm writing, I'm a real dud).

Addison
2009-02-17, 09:23
Been really trying to get the CD version of Shannara up and running with the best settings possible.

Right now I've basically stripped it all the way down to having no voices, sound or background music.

I'm perfectly fine with having the game silent but does anyone know the highest settings and removed features to push Dosbox as far as it can go?

Here's a pic of the game:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/214/screenshot2009021704090wr2.png

ioan
2009-02-17, 18:27
Prince of Persia 4D:
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/158

Captain Comic - Episode I: Planet of Death
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/136

Both games are running smoothly.

Pushwall
2009-02-17, 19:06
Thanks ioan for the info. Keep 'em coming! :)

Addison
2009-02-20, 09:07
Fritz 2.51

Available for free at this site:
Zarkon Fischer's Free Chess Programs (http://freechess.50webs.com/index.html)

I found out something kind of neat when editing the settings for this today.

If you have CPU cycles anything greater than 1500 then the cursor isn't placed correctly on the screen making it less playable.

So if there were any other games or applications that had this similar mouse trouble, try to lower the speed down a bit and see what happens from there. :)

Anyway, I exported the configuration file for easy download.

Here's a screenshot:
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2086/fritzpm2.png

mauromartins
2009-02-26, 16:38
Hi guys.

I´m Mauro, I live in Brazil, and I follow this board because I have a N800.
I never registered before, mainly because my english writing skills are so poor ;) . But I´ve installed DosBox in my tablet, and I use it for a long time in PC, so I have a medium knowledge to how to tweak it.

I uploaded (as a nickname Geleka) configuration file for Street Rod. It´s a racing car game, where you buy new cars and race with others for money or cars. It´s a very addictive game! I play using a USB keyboard, but it is perfect playabe using only the d-pad on N800. But in the racing screen, there´s a annoying problem in the wheel, but the game is perfect playabe. I´m installing some games and sendind via Rubybox all the configs.

Sorry for my bad english.

Addison
2009-02-28, 03:22
Welcome Mauro!

This was asked quite a long time ago and received little response, but if you can figure out how to to correctly set up the joystick feature in Rubybox maybe that would solve your troubles when racing.

Otherwise, it doesn't make too much sense playing the game strictly by mouse if you can't ever win a head to head race.

And yeah, I used to love playing Street Rod!

DocMike
2009-03-02, 00:56
I'm an experienced computer user, but not with Linux, so the Nokia N810 is new. But I am frustrated by DOSBox, because I can mount just fine on a PC, but which drive letter should I use? I want to be able to use QuickBASIC or other BASIC programming language on the N810. I have my QB45 files on a removable card, and I suspect I might have to move them to the main memory area/ drive.

Again, can somebody please tell me what drive letters to use?

For that matter, how do I see these files such as usr/bin/... etc.?

Please e-mail me directly using DrMWEcker at aol dot com...

Thanks, DocMike

DocMike
2009-03-12, 13:39
Oops... I figured it out on my own... Never mind...

Schyz
2009-03-15, 22:03
Dreamweb works really nice on my N770. I'm playing with no sound, spanish CD
version.
Run with: "DREAMWEB.EXE /N"
frameskip=4
core=simple
cycles=600

Right mouse button is used to examine inventory objets, but you can examine them with left button if you drop them, then you can pick them up again.

Tune
2009-04-04, 09:22
Master of Magic is quite heavy game for n810 but when u disable all sound emulations, enable xms and ems and run it with 24000 cycles and frame skipping 3 or so its just and just playable.

The problem is again with the right click as you need to right click the city to open the city window. I havent found any way to emulate mouse right-click yet. If somebody has a working trick for that, tell it to me please.

Addison
2009-06-16, 11:51
I've been wasting time lately on a super old school game called Executive Suite.

I suggest that anyone should give this a try, at least once if not more.

Only problem running this is with Xkbd.

For the Enter key, for whatever Xkbd that you have, using Emelfm2 change the following output from

default Enter
default_ks KP_Enter

to

default Enter
default_ks Return

Actually, whatever keyboard you're using should have been given the value Return as opposed to KP_Enter anyway.

The only reason why I didn't go with Return was because that anything, other than Dosbox, this pulls up the Hildon Keyboard.

For a more simpler approach, you can just click on the center D-Pad and that would do the trick as well.

Anyway, for more on Executive Suite and how to download it freely, I found it over at this page:
Executive Suite (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/05/text-based-business-game-from-1982/)

diE_sohlE
2009-08-10, 17:42
Hey Addison,

after your post I wanted to give Executive Suite a try. I use it with Dosbox and xkbd. But I am not able to print any number which I need for the first question of the game. :(

Any hints for me?

Addison
2009-08-10, 18:03
I'm currently having issues of my own.

I need Ukki to post up a response on that error I'm getting through Rubybox.

I uninstalled everything today, reinstalled and I'm still seeing the same error message.

You might want to see if your number keys are working correctly outside of this game.

Many people have experienced key mapping problems with this latest version though I thought Javispedro fixed those issues.

diE_sohlE
2009-08-10, 20:19
Well, when I use xkbd with the browser I get all keys properly but not in the game. :-/
It seems that only the number keys of xkbd are not working.

Addison
2009-08-10, 20:41
If I remember correctly, it worked just fine for me.

There's a few different Xkbd keyboards to choose from, one of them has a Numlock key, maybe that would do the trick.

Have you tried just using the Dpad instead for now?

Addison
2009-08-11, 00:52
Hey diE_sohlE.

Well, I finally got Rubybox working correctly again.

I fired up Executive Suite and had no problems using Xkbd.

The number pad worked just fine.

So sorry, I have nothing to offer you as a way to fix what you're seeing on your end.

McLightning
2009-08-11, 11:45
can we run this game on with dosbox
http://www.dosgamesonline.com/index/game/381/The_Incredible_Machine.html

Addison
2009-08-11, 17:44
If I remember correctly, The Incredible Machine requires heavy cycle speeds.

You should at least give it a try though and post back your results. :)

diE_sohlE
2009-08-13, 07:13
@Addison

Yes, I tried only the Dpad. Nothing worked correctly. No numbers at all. :-/

SniggyMA
2009-08-14, 20:03
I have gotten Master of Orion to run on DosBox for the NIT. It is painfully slow, especially when making the first map, but it runs. Since it''s a turn based strategy game, you don't necessarily need it to go fast.

Give it a go. It's one of the best old school strategy games out there. Now if we can get X-Com to run on DosBox that would be something!

Addison
2009-08-15, 04:52
No chance on X-Com since it requires a right mouse click and the Dosbox team isn't looking at implementing such a feature any time soon for touch screen devices. :(

SniggyMA
2009-08-15, 19:03
No chance on X-Com since it requires a right mouse click and the Dosbox team isn't looking at implementing such a feature any time soon for touch screen devices. :(

Yah the NIT isn't fast enough for it anyway. It would have to be a port like Pocket UFO for the pocket pc. I've used that back in the day and they did a very nice job with it.

Addison
2009-08-18, 21:54
You know SniggyMA, there's always Rebelstar: Tactical Command for Gameboy Advance.

I bought it used at Gamestop for $5.00 and it's not that bad actually.

I haven't tried the GBA emulator for the NIT but it might be worth a shot for ya.

OID
2009-12-17, 09:21
right-click work with dosbox, you need xte programm from xautomation package, using xbindkey you can map xte on any key and use it.

Clubberlang
2009-12-17, 14:48
total newb question. Any chance Mechwarrior 2 for Dos would work? How about Need for Speed? I loved those games back in the day

borland
2009-12-27, 14:32
space quest 5 new mudation works fine, has some issues with mouse control though-if u go to the sides of the screen its like loses calibration (u can gain it back same way u lost it), u can control it with keyboard too.

Addison
2009-12-27, 15:12
space quest 5 new mudation works fine, has some issues with mouse control though-if u go to the sides of the screen its like loses calibration (u can gain it back same way u lost it), u can control it with keyboard too.

In dosbox.conf change to
autolock=false
and see if that helps at all.

borland
2009-12-28, 04:23
In dosbox.conf change to
autolock=false
and see if that helps at all.

Just tryed- same thing happens. In fullscreen mode, (I use stylus) when u press at the bottom of the screen (close to dark area, where the actual game picture is not rendered) it causes the cursor to lose calibration. If u press in the middle of the screen and hold stylus there cursor starts running to the left or to the right. I'll try to change the resolution.

ArnimS
2009-12-28, 16:16
Just tryed- same thing happens. In fullscreen mode, (I use stylus) when u press at the bottom of the screen (close to dark area, where the actual game picture is not rendered) it causes the cursor to lose calibration. If u press in the middle of the screen and hold stylus there cursor starts running to the left or to the right. I'll try to change the resolution.

The mouse problem is being fixed, this is a dosbox problem and not particular to a game, so take such discussion to this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=5686&page=21

Helmuth
2009-12-30, 10:49
Has somebody tried to run Syndicate from Bullfrog in the DosBox?

t7g
2009-12-31, 03:05
Has somebody tried to run Syndicate from Bullfrog in the DosBox?

Yes, runs fine but since the mouse is all screwy it's not really playable yet. I mean, I guess it's a _little_ slow but I had no tweaks of the dosbox conf at all and used the dosbox from at least one update ago to do it.

Seawolf
2010-02-28, 20:50
Fury of the Furries is too slow..

Damn, i love that game. I wish i could speed it up somehow.. :(

haberc
2010-03-01, 10:52
hello everyone i just intalled dosbox and got some datafiles from the same site for warcraft 2 constructor blood etc

but cant really figure out how to make them work i managed on my pc but couldn't on my n900 is there a step by step noob guide i can follow on how to launch these and perhaps eve set sound.

also if there is a step by step for installing starcraft would be great aswell

thanks for everything tried finding one but couldn't

regards

Andre Klapper
2010-03-01, 14:51
Please first change the summary of this thread to something descriptive. Currently it is as vague as possible. ;-)

haberc
2010-03-01, 15:34
just need a step by step gudie on how to load games with dosbox and the same with wargus stargus adn thanks for your reply

toto29820
2010-03-01, 15:36
install dosbox
download ur game put into a folder
edit dosbox conf file to auto mount above folder to a drive you want
start dosbox
dir find launch executable go run it

haberc
2010-03-01, 22:25
tanks for your help where is dosbox conf file cant find it?

nax3000
2010-03-01, 22:57
I'd really like a comprehensible guide to finding and editing the conf file in dosbox. That would be just grand.
________
MICHIGAN MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

ArnimS
2010-03-03, 10:46
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation_of_DosBox

~ $ ls .dosbox/
dosbox-0.73.conf

nax3000
2010-03-03, 20:02
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation_of_DosBox

~ $ ls .dosbox/
dosbox-0.73.conf

yeah, I found it through terminal but I can't seem to be able to access it through windows. where the hell are they hiding it?
________
Tdm850 (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_TDM850)

moerderameise
2010-03-03, 20:07
Maybe here someone can help me. I'm looking for a way to use right mouse button in dosbox. how can i do that? startmapper does not seem to have this feature and i already tried every possible key combo to make a right click, but no chance... is there a trick or is it really not possible?

st5150
2010-03-04, 02:02
nax3000- \Documents and Settings\your login name \Local Settings\Application Data\DOSBox\dosbox-0.73.conf

gviterbo
2010-03-04, 02:09
What about Crusader: No Regret and No Remorse? Those games are classic!

toto29820
2010-03-04, 03:17
yeah, I found it through terminal but I can't seem to be able to access it through windows. where the hell are they hiding it?
windows cannot see outside MyDocs, this file is outside MyDocs

haberc
2010-03-04, 12:10
i still cant find it wanna try constructor and blood on it

lockery
2010-03-31, 02:30
Can the old SSI d&d games like pool of radiance and pools of darkness work with the Doxbox emulator?

Addison
2010-03-31, 02:33
Can the old SSI d&d games like pool of radiance and pools of darkness work with the Doxbox emulator?

Yeah, but if it's a VGA version and not EGA, you'll probably need to sacrifice the music in the background.

lockery
2010-03-31, 03:24
So which of the nokia tablets is best for the dos emulator?

Addison
2010-03-31, 04:59
So which of the nokia tablets is best for the dos emulator?

N900 because of the newer hardware.

efekt
2010-03-31, 05:19
windows cannot see outside MyDocs, this file is outside MyDocs
You need a client who can connect to your phone with root permissions in order to navigate everywhere in the phone's libraries - I recommend using WinSCP.

lockery
2010-03-31, 13:08
How about the n800 or n810, which would be better?

ukki
2010-03-31, 13:24
How about the n800 or n810, which would be better?

N810 since it has a hardware keyboard so you don't need to mess around with xkbd. And N8x0 has also a gui for Dosbox (albeit bad) if you don't want to mess around with Dos commands.

nax3000
2010-03-31, 13:47
Hey I have a little request. Could someone upload their dosbox .ini file with the keyboard layout fixed for the N900? That would be grand!
________
BUY EASY VAPE VAPORIZER (http://vaporizers.net/easy-vape)

Drage
2010-06-27, 20:06
N900 user.. oki, im kinda new when it comes to this, i know dos commands (i used it alot when i played tie-fighter, dune 2 and panzer general.. I downloaded dosbox but cannot figur out how to use the fn key so i cannot make commands like c: to get to the root.. i have a folder with dos games in my N900 phone.. is there some sort of manual for the dosbox? it would help alot..

ArnimS
2011-01-09, 07:35
Maybe here someone can help me. I'm looking for a way to use right mouse button in dosbox. how can i do that? startmapper does not seem to have this feature and i already tried every possible key combo to make a right click, but no chance... is there a trick or is it really not possible?

Sorry to revive an old question but this is really an issue that needs to be addressed for dosbox on many platforms - not just maemo. Luckily the n810 and n900 have two keys that lend themselves to left and right click - namely the +/- volume buttons.

What I would like to see is a toggle for dosbox that lets you activate a 'touchpad' mode that lets you swipe across the screen and then hit +/- for left and right click. My chances of getting my mouse code changes integrated into upstream dosbox are about zero right now, however. So if anyone is interested in working on this, i can help get them started (and javispedro probably more-so).

I would like to say that with pulseaudio disabled (sound straight to alsa) and 1ghz cpu, Wing Commander now runs playably fast! woohoo... Unfortunately wing commander is one game where mouse positioning has problems if you set the cpu cycles too high, so at could also benefit from relative mouse positioning code.

Here's to a 2011 with more dosbox improvents! Cheers.

Addison
2012-01-16, 01:53
Just to bump one of my favorite threads here...

Scrabble Deluxe.

Works perfect, no frame skipping needed. :)

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5549/screenshot2012011520234.png

Ghouli
2012-03-14, 21:06
Here's to a 2011 with more dosbox improvents! Cheers.

Seems those improvements never came. :/ Just got my hands on N900 after a couple of years, and was hoping for some awesome dosbox action with X-COM and Eye of the Beholder and such, but without right click that proved to be quite futile.

So. I could have gotten depressed and come here to whine about no progress over the years. Instead I put up a build environment, pulled javier's sources from repository, added couple lines of code, packaged it, and voilá; right click now works holding down shift while touching screen. :)

Should probably add an option to change it on/off and desired key to .conf or maybe look into using proximity sensor like JA2, but atleast I got to play EOB in bed tonight :D

Juizer
2013-04-15, 23:44
So. I could have gotten depressed and come here to whine about no progress over the years. Instead I put up a build environment, pulled javier's sources from repository, added couple lines of code, packaged it, and voilá; right click now works holding down shift while touching screen.

How did you do this exatly?
:confused:

nokiabot
2013-04-20, 07:51
Omg omg !!! the poster be dead by now:D

Juizer
2013-05-04, 18:59
Well, I still would like to know how he did it. :p

freemangordon
2013-05-04, 19:26
Hmm, just downloaded the latest source which is in the repos(extras-devel), no wonder if it runs slow on N900, this is how the configure script is called:

./configure --host=arm-linux-gnueabi --build=arm-linux-gnueabi --prefix=/usr --mandir=\${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\${prefix}/share/info --enable-core-inline CFLAGS="-Wall -g -DMAEMO -DMAEMO_VERSION=5 -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp" CXXFLAGS="-Wall -g -DMAEMO -DMAEMO_VERSION=5 -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp" LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,defs"

Going to build that with the correct CPU/FPU flags and put it in the thumb repo.

Estel
2013-05-04, 20:40
Hmm, just downloaded the latest source which is in the repos(extras-devel), no wonder if it runs slow on N900, this is how the configure script is called:

Going to build that with the correct CPU/FPU flags and put it in the thumb repo.

:eek: Can't wait to see results, and this time' it's hard to keep expectations low (to be positively surprised, in case of any major speed improvements). System Shock, I'm coming after you!

freemangordon
2013-05-04, 21:26
:eek: Can't wait to see results, and this time' it's hard to keep expectations low (to be positively surprised, in case of any major speed improvements). System Shock, I'm coming after you!

It is there, unfortunately I am unable to compare it with stock, as it was the first time to use dosbox (descent 3d, though it is unfortunately unplayable :) )

javispedro
2013-06-11, 10:45

What the fsck are you talking about? That is certainly NOT possible unless someone defined vfp in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS on the Fremantle autobuilder, which would be a very, very stupid thing to do (because a lot of packages -- including at least all of mine -- assume it's only set in the autobuilders where manually enabling softfp is required: chinook & diablo).
Or you are looking at the N8x0 build logs.

In any case, it's not going to do a lot of difference...

Estel
2013-06-11, 11:43
Could someone point our belowed maemo management to above post (I don't have contact with them anymore, not want to estabilish one)? I wouldn't be surprised, if, indeed, someone would define vfp in DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, during autobuilder set-up after migration.

In any case, it won't hurt to check.

/Estel

lma
2013-06-22, 16:28
It's easy for anyone to check (extras-cauldron-builds is your friend). The last Fremantle build was built (https://garage.maemo.org/builder/fremantle/dosbox_0.74-0maemo6/armel.build.log.OK.txt) using just

DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="parallel=4"

and configured thus:

./configure --host=arm-linux-gnueabi --build=arm-linux-gnueabi --prefix=/usr --mandir=\${prefix}/share/man --infodir=\${prefix}/share/info --enable-core-inline CFLAGS="-Wall -g -DMAEMO -DMAEMO_VERSION=5 -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math" CXXFLAGS="-Wall -g -DMAEMO -DMAEMO_VERSION=5 -Os -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math" LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,defs"

The latest package built today is still using the same DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS.

FWIW "-march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp" look like Diablo/OMAP2-specific flags, perhaps a misconfigured scratchbox environment?

freemangordon
2013-06-23, 08:29
Or rather bad debian/rules. I am using the "official" Nokia VmWare image, which (afaik) provides DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="...,vfp,..." by default.

What I did is:

apt-get source dosbox
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b

in my FREMANTLE -thumb target. and configure was called with the above options. However, it seems that autobuilder is setup differently to Maemo 5 SDK, so I stand corrected that the dosbox package in the repos is built with wrong CPU type.

@javispedro - If you remember, a long time ago we argued over the IRC whether dosbox build with -mthumb will be stable. That is what I was trying to check, not if it will be faster. Though I guess gcc 4.7.2 makes some difference. And yes, it IS stable, .deb is in cssu-thumb repo, you can verify if you still have time, will, n900 and cssu-thumb istalled on it :)

javispedro
2013-06-23, 13:41
I am using the "official" Nokia VmWare image, which (afaik) provides DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="...,vfp,..." by default.
Ok, so we now know who is to blame here. Neither the autobuilder nor the official Scratchbox have this enabled, so it's probably that the Vmware image guys forgot to disable it when doing the Fremantle version.

@javispedro - If you remember, a long time ago we argued over the IRC whether dosbox build with -mthumb will be stable. That is what I was trying to check, not if it will be faster. Though I guess gcc 4.7.2 makes some difference. And yes, it IS stable, .deb is in cssu-thumb repo, you can verify if you still have time, will, n900 and cssu-thumb istalled on it :)
Well, fortunately, because I have terrible memory, we have IRC logs!
More than a year ago (http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-ssu-irclog/%23maemo-ssu.2012-01-02.log.html#t2012-01-02T19:18:35) I argued that thumb's performance on the N900 sucked, but I also mentioned that it had worked flawlessly.

My assertions where based on the fact that I had benchmarked the different implementations of the DOSBox ARM JIT, including thumb and non-thumb ones, and was surprised to find that the non-thumb one was faster. That benchmark I did around 3 years ago (http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-irclog/%23maemo.2010-10-18.log.html#t2010-10-18T21:18:41). Note how we also tried to explain how it was possible for Thumb code to be slower, and how the general knowledge until that point was that thumb code was a guaranteed crash. At the end, we concluded (wrongly) that it was only Thumb2 the problematic one. I personally had no idea about the errata in those days.

I do not mention what the benchmark was, but I can guess it was the one thing I use DOSBox for: the boot time of Windows 3.11 (yes, I am a sad guy :) ).

But here comes the surprises. As you can see on that chat log 3 years ago, DOSBox until that day had been using the Thumb JIT, and I did not get complains about crashes.

The second surprise you can see in the DOSBox patched source, in file src/cpu/core_dynrec/risc_armv4le.h (ie the "config" file for the JITter): the Thumb JIT is STILL enabled to this day!!!!

How is it possible, if I knew the Thumb JIT was virtually half the performance on the N900? There were several reasons that made me do that choice:
A ) At that time, I thought the extremely low thumb performance on the N900 was because of a CPU errata. It might be possible fixed in future releases, or it might work better on the N8x0!
B ) I also contacted the author of the JIT compiler, and basically, got the hint that the non-Thumb generators would eventually be deprecated or worse, bitroted. He was seeing a 20% improvement when using the Thumb JIT on his platform, so the non-Thumb one made no sense for him.

So, the Thumb JIT is already in use in DOSBox. No one except me, to my knowledge, has benchmarked the non-JIT Thumb on the N900, so feel free to repeat the tests by changing that risc_armv4le.h file.

Now, on the third surprise. -mthumb on CFLAGS will not change which JIT version is used, it will only change how the rest of DOSBox code will be compiled. This code is certainly NOT any bottleneck; I could compile it with -O0 and you would still get very similar performance, because the bottleneck is, obviously, on JITTed code. And this is the reason I mentioned on my previous post on this thread that -mvfp, -mthumb, or even -O0 will not have much measurable effect on the performance on DOSBox builds!

Which means that, if anyone adds -mthumb and experiences "a performance increase", they are, in my eyes, experiencing the textbook definition of a placebo.

Android_808
2013-06-23, 16:41
Ok, so we now know who is to blame here. Neither the autobuilder nor the official Scratchbox have this enabled, so it's probably that the Vmware image guys forgot to disable it when doing the Fremantle version.

I'm using scratchbox from the install scripts. My version came with "maemo-launcher,thumb,vfp" set in FREMANTLE_ARMEL.environment.

nokiabot
2013-06-23, 16:49
^^so you mean it wont get better than what we already have:)

javispedro
2013-06-23, 17:13
I'm using scratchbox from the install scripts. My version came with "maemo-launcher,thumb,vfp" set in FREMANTLE_ARMEL.environment.

Interestingly, I've been checking, and found out that you're not the only one was has seen that. Even DocScrutinizer complained:

http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-ssu-irclog/%23maemo-ssu.2012-07-19.log.html#t2012-07-19T09:54:08

I usually setup Scratchbox manually (e.g. sb-conf se ....), not using the automated script, which could explain why I don't have such flags.

This is indeed quite a "gotcha": quite a lot of the official packages use DEB_BUILT_OPTIONS. A quick Google reveals Cairo at least. If a lot of people have that it might explain a bunch of the errors they get when trying to rebuild official packages...

:/

Estel
2013-06-23, 18:11
This is indeed quite a "gotcha": quite a lot of the official packages use DEB_BUILT_OPTIONS. A quick Google reveals Cairo at least. If a lot of people have that it might explain a bunch of the errors they get when trying to rebuild official packages...

:/

Maybe it's good idea to let them know via maemo-developers mailing list? Some kind of general announcement?

freemangordon
2013-06-23, 18:35
@javispedro - oh, I remember now :). However, I've never said (IIRC) that -mthumb will bring performance boost, besides what it is all about - less RAM usage. Though if you give some idea what and how to benchmark I'll try to find some spare time these days and do it.

*If there is speedup, for sure it won't be because of -mthumb, but because of the newer compiler. For example - some of the openssl algos are 2 times faster when compiled with gcc 4.7.2, despite -mthumb

@estel - that's been announced a couple of times already

biketool
2013-06-23, 19:59
FWIW I tried SystemShock, first go rebooted my phone.
With a bit of overclock I got it to run... barely
The MIDI music chugged down to where I was always expecting a crash, I couldn't really understand most of the intro video.
It has been about 20 years so I dont remember all of the tricks but it is not really playable. Interestingly the emulator does not use up more than 50% to 75% CPU between 500 and 800mhz when I peeked at conky. If I can play SuperMario3D there must be a tweak to play system shock.
When everyone else was playing Doom the smart kids were playing System Shock.