I am a vtuber/virtual streamer and I will be exploring old Acorn/Archimdes titles

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
Destroid

I am a vtuber/virtual streamer and I will be exploring old Acorn/Archimdes titles

Post by Destroid »

It's a niche I noticed not many people had covered - there are people that cover Retro games, but not the best of bri'ish. Acorn(and Amiga while we're at it) titles are criminally underrepresented when it comes to online streaming. Desperate to find something personal to me other people aren't doing, I've decided to revisit the games of my childhood, as well as, important, the games I saw in magazines I didn't get to play of my Childhood.

Would anyone be interested in this? Starting off with Lemmings tonight but want to work through Mad Professor Mariarti and the other classics. If anyone has suggests for games that would play well with an audience more used to retro PC, SNes/MD classics let me know!

(I am bad at Repton but my Dad is good at it, maybe I can get him to stream it while I comment)
https://www.twitch.tv/sisterrose

Irish lass streaming old Acorn games now and again with a virtual avatar.
davidb

Re: I am a vtuber/virtual streamer and I will be exploring old Acorn/Archimdes titles

Post by davidb »

People dip into the Archimedes games every now and then, and there are a few videos that showcase some of the games. It might be different to see people playing them and commenting on them.

What I'd really like to see is someone looking at some of the expansion cards and peripherals for the 32-bit machines. I've seen channels that look at Amiga and Atari ST upgrades, but nothing for 32-bit Acorns.
algenon_iii

Re: I am a vtuber/virtual streamer and I will be exploring old Acorn/Archimdes titles

Post by algenon_iii »

Off the top of my head I'd suggest the following games that'll be familiar to gamers from the time:
Elite (considered by some to be the best version)
Star Fighter 3000 (an Archimedes original)
MIG-29 Fulcrum
Pacmania
Zarch (an Archimedes original known as Virus on other platforms)
Wolfenstein 3D

If you want to go beyond the Archimedes / A3000/10/20 era:
Doom (if you're using real hardware you'll need an ARM 3 cpu e.g. an A5000)
Destroid

Post by Destroid »

Thank you for the suggestions! I was trying to find Zarch actually so that's very helpful!

Btw what do you think of my poster? Wanted to get a retro computer/game magazine vibe.

(also I remember when I came here some time ago it was to ask about Billion - could be another fun one to try given the infinite adventures!)
Last edited by Destroid on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destroid

Post by Destroid »

davidb wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:56 pm People dip into the Archimedes games every now and then, and there are a few videos that showcase some of the games. It might be different to see people playing them and commenting on them.

What I'd really like to see is someone looking at some of the expansion cards and peripherals for the 32-bit machines. I've seen channels that look at Amiga and Atari ST upgrades, but nothing for 32-bit Acorns.
Unfortunately I no longer have access to the physical machine :( Since I'm a virtual streamer anyway it would be a bit moot!

Wonder if it's worth talking to Ms Mad Lemon about though, we follow each other on twitter.

paulb

Post by paulb »

Destroid wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:58 pm Would anyone be interested in this? Starting off with Lemmings tonight but want to work through Mad Professor Mariarti and the other classics. If anyone has suggests for games that would play well with an audience more used to retro PC, SNes/MD classics let me know!
I don't know what the PC and console crowd like, but if you wanted to focus on the games that the Archimedes was known for, or games that were distinctive, also considering those games in the context of particular genres, I would suggest things like...

Zarch and Aldebaran (Conqueror deserves a mention, although I thought it was a bit disappointing)
Elite and Magnetoids (two very different takes on the 3D "space combat" paradigm)
Asylum and Oddball (crazy but amazing stuff from the same author)
Chocks Away, Stunt Racer 2000 and Star Fighter 3000 (quite the portfolio from the same two authors)

I would also suggest Axis because it was a very immersive and playable game, totally worth the money, which probably couldn't be said for some games.

You might get some inspiration from the "Acorn User Games Supplement", provided the Internet Archive viewer isn't acting up (as it has been doing recently). However, already in 1992 there was a trend for conversions from the Amiga and ST that weren't really playing to the machine's strengths but were probably lucrative based on name recognition and inter-platform envy, despite more interesting and playable games being available. For example, Asylum was far more fun than the likes of the plodding Magic Pockets, although maybe games like Zool were a bit more interesting: someone else would have to say.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Early original stuff: Freddy's Folly, Bug Hunter, Ibix the Viking.Talisman, Conqueror, The WIMP Game
Later originals I like: E-Type, Birds Of War, Fervour, The Legend of the Lost Temple
paulb

Post by paulb »

Actually, how could I forget Ballarena? I don't think I played any of the other Systeme games, but in terms of presentation that was an outstanding game on the platform at the time.
RobC

Post by RobC »

paulb wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:25 pm Actually, how could I forget Ballarena? I don't think I played any of the other Systeme games, but in terms of presentation that was an outstanding game on the platform at the time.
Yes - it was an excellent game. I bought it along with Cartoon Line at one of the Acorn User shows. Cartoon Line also looked great but I wasn't a fan of the game play as I've never liked games that require special moves/random key combinations.
davidb

Post by davidb »

Another source of inspiration is the YouTube channel for the Archimedes Software Preservation Project. Perhaps Jon can suggest some notable/fun games.
Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 »

As others have said, it would be nice to cover some of the games that were either unique to the Acorn machines (e.g. any of the 4th Dimension titles like Saloon Cars, Chocks Away, E-Type) or started out there e.g. Starfighter 3000 which was ported to the 3DO console, Elite and Zarch (Virus on other platorms I think?)

A lot of my favourite games from the early-mid 90s were also available on the Amiga/Atari/PC such as Flashback, Cannon Fodder and Wolfenstein, which people may already be familiar with.
fwibbler

Post by fwibbler »

Some of the games I had (and liked) were:
X-Fire
Cataclysm
Starch
Caverns
Quark
Zelanites
Spheres of Chaos
Inferno
Wavelength
Small