Archimedes World CD

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
hydro

Archimedes World CD

Post by hydro »

I have been searching high and low for an ISO of this CD, does anyone have a copy at all?

acorndave

Re: Archimedes World CD

Post by acorndave »

I have a copy of this disc. But it seems to be a bit of a strange format. If you put it in Acorn Computer it displays all the files / folders. If you put it in a CD player it displays 33 tracks. The first track is the data file, so can't be played, but tracks 2 to 33 play fine.

Thus I haven't been able to make an ISO of it. However I was able to open the disc on a RISC OS setup, copy the files off and Zip the contents. I was also able to rip the audio tracks to mp3 on my Windows machine and zip these.

Assuming this might be achieve what you want in a round about sort of way I can put them up somewhere. Too big to post on here
Kazzie

Post by Kazzie »

acorndave wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:15 pm I have a copy of this disc. But it seems to be a bit of a strange format. If you put it in Acorn Computer it displays all the files / folders. If you put it in a CD player it displays 33 tracks. The first track is the data file, so can't be played, but tracks 2 to 33 play fine.
That sounds like a standard Mixed-Mode CD. Any comprehensive CD-authoring software should be able to read the entire disc directly, and create a Mixed-Mode ISO - I'd have used Nero Burning ROM (on PC) back in the day.
BBC Model B 32K issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
RiscPC 600 under repair
Acorn System 1 home-made replica
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

Hmm, well l don't know if the disc is protected in some way or damaged. Although it looks ok. But I tried Nero and Imgburn. They both failed with read errors/disc not understood
Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 »

I have this CD. I believe the ISO format can't handle multiple tracks, so .bin/.cue is the right format to rip it to (or a proprietary equivalent such as Nero .nrg).

I use ImgBurn for things like this. The blu-ray drive in my PC didn't want to rip it, but I had success (I think) with an older external USB DVD drive. After ripping the image verified OK against the CD.

Hopefully you can used the linked files to burn a physical copy. You'll need to extract both files from the .zip and it's the .cue file that you load into the burning software (ImgBurn is good).
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am0L8ywuFwZkh-YGlh5 ... A?e=MIxAiy
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

ImgBurn usually tells you what file extension it needs (usually BIN with CUE), this is also confirmed with Sony PS1 & PS2 CDs / DVDs

still can't get PS2 dvd Wallace & Gromit game to work in PS3 though :?

don't use Nero, useless
ImageImageImage
hydro

Post by hydro »

Thanks guys! I hadn't checked back until now!
hydro

Post by hydro »

Were there any more Archimedes World CD's, I have a stack of Acorn User CD's.
Andy1979

Post by Andy1979 »

hydro wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:07 pm Were there any more Archimedes World CD's, I have a stack of Acorn User CD's.
I'm not sure. I only have that CD and the first two Acorn User CDs. I didn't have a CD-ROM for my A3010, so had to use one at school to copy the files I wanted onto floppies.

It was around that time (1996) I wanted to get an Internet connection. My A3010 was just too slow for web browsing so we got a PC as my school had just moved to Windows 95 and it was much better value :?

Did the .bin work by the way?
hydro

Post by hydro »

It did indeed, thanks :)
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

I only have that CD. But the Kosovo Charity CD allegedly contains disc 1 and 2 so maybe there was another.

There's an iso for that here:

https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-kosovo

Return to “general”