Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good games for the original Xbox

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I'm getting a softmodded one, with a good number of games already installed. There are some that I'll have to burn myself, so as long as I'm doing that, I want to have a recommendations list. The game doesn't have to be exclusive, multiplat games designed for consoles (like Prince of Persia) are welcome. Multiplats released only on consoles (like Black) are encouraged.

Kingdom of Fire Heroes and Crusaders
Burnout games
Project Gotham Racing
Games with Sega in the title (there's a good racing title, can't remember the name, also a fun fantasy soccer one)
Crimson Skies

I haven't played Forza Motorsport and Panzer Dragoon Orta, but they seem like safe bets.

EDIT: Forgot about Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Mercenaries, definitely play those.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
From my highly curated backlog:

Japanese:

Jet Set Radio Future
Metal Wolf Chaos
Ninja Gaiden Black
Gun Valkyrie
Phantom Crash
Phantom Dust
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Outrun 2

Western:

Arx Fatalis
Splinter Cell 3
Burnout 2
Psychonauts
Riddick

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Halo 1: people like to shit on Halo but the first one is a good console shooter, the GFX are clean compared to the candy factory it turned into right after with 2 and the weapon balance really stands out, which also went to shit with 2. Probably the sharpest most immediate decline I've ever witnessed in a game series. Play 2 after it and you'll get what I mean.

Otogi: Eccentric character action, real cool presentation, pretty hard at times.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I keep forgetting which one got best version of SC Double Agent. Was it Xbox?

Beside that - Ninja Gaiden in way better form. Sigma? More like Sugma Dragon balls

If you can stomach FPS on gamepad - Darkwatch and BLACK

Enter the Matrix
both Fatal Frames
Gladius for turnbased gladiators combat
both LotR action games
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
King Kong because PC port on modern machines is pure garbage
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
The Punisher
The Warriors from back when Rockstare made good stuff

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
168639-breakdown-xbox-front-cover.jpg
37609-brute-force-xbox-front-cover.jpg
19313-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-xbox-front-cover.jpg
59683-conker-live-reloaded-xbox-front-cover.jpg
25177-dino-crisis-3-xbox-front-cover.jpg
368351-dinotopia-the-sunstone-odyssey-xbox-front-cover.jpg
39064-dungeons-dragons-heroes-xbox-front-cover.jpg
189634-galleon-xbox-front-cover.jpg
26453-grabbed-by-the-ghoulies-xbox-front-cover.jpg
28579-hunter-the-reckoning-redeemer-xbox-front-cover.jpg
47722-kingdom-under-fire-the-crusaders-xbox-front-cover.jpg
38618-kung-fu-chaos-xbox-front-cover.jpg
37742-otogi-myth-of-demons-xbox-front-cover.jpg
20117-phantasy-star-online-episode-i-ii-xbox-front-cover.jpg
121929-raze-s-hell-xbox-front-cover.jpg
171493-shenmue-ii-xbox-front-cover.jpg
17037-star-wars-obi-wan-xbox-front-cover.jpg
19441-toejam-earl-iii-mission-to-earth-xbox-front-cover.jpg
26676-voodoo-vince-xbox-front-cover.jpg
66063-whacked-xbox-front-cover.jpg

Breakdown, Brute Force, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Conker, Dino Crisis 3, Dinotopia, Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes, Galleon, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Hunter: The Reckoning - Redeemer, Kingdom Under Fire, Kung Fu Chaos, Otogi, Phantasy Star Online, Raze's Hell, Shenmue II, Star Wars: Obi-Wan, ToeJam & Earl III, Voodoo Vince, Whacked.

Bonus
Metal Wolf Chaos is a third-person shooter video game developed and published by FromSoftware, released for the Xbox in Japan on December 22, 2004.

The game revolves around a fictitious President of the United States named Michael Wilson. Using a suit of powered armor named Metal Wolf, he battles forces who have taken over his country in a coup d'état, including his nemesis, Vice President Richard Hawk.

Although released exclusively in Japan, Metal Wolf Chaos has full English voice acting.

This one has rats.

Plain silly.

ferratilis

Magister
Ninja Gaiden Black - one of the best action games ever made, still has combat that puts modern games to shame, if you're only going to play one, play this. Also, the most technically competent game on Xbox, runs at 60 fps.
Halo 1 - on Codex, it's one of the horsemen of decline, but it has good AI (better even than many modern shooters), and it has fun, sandbox-y gameplay that allows you to experiment
Splinter Cell 1, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory, and Double Agent - even though three of these are on PC, the Xbox versions are the way to play because they were developed with Xbox's hardware in mind, and have graphical effects that PCs were never able to recreate (especially Pandora Tomorrow). And OG Xbox version of Double Agent is the only one worth playing, the 360 version is something completely different, and it's shit

AndyS

Augur
What's the consensus on Hunter - The Reconing? There's more games?
It was pretty good.

Multiplatform games tended to be best on Xbox, especially stuff like Splinter Cell. Sega had several good games that were originally earmarked for the Dreamcast. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (superior to its multiplatform sequel), especially if you liked Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, which used the same engine but wasn't as polished. Deathrow was a well-done Speedball update/dystopian sci-fi sports game.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got a modded xbox around last December, mainly to do some homebrew development on it for fun, but also tried to play a few games on it. Though the controller's left trigger is broken so i don't play much (or at all nowadays since it broke completely), but i ordered a Hunter XBox controller which is supposedly a very high quality replacement, so i'm waiting for that.

Anyway, some games i tried and would recommend are:

Bloodrayne 1 - I'm not sure this needs any sort of introduction but anyway: you control a sexy dhampir in her quest to find her father or something as part of some sort of organization that hunts zombies, vampires, worms, nazis and other paranormal entities. It is a hack and slash 3D platformer, though you can also use a bunch of guns (the main gameplay is around hack and slashing enemies though and you even get a bunch of vampire superpowers to do that like slowing down time and increasing slashing damage). Laura Bailey's performance as Rayne is quite good too, it has this almost deadpan "shit happens" takes i appreciate. The sequel is also available on Xbox but i never played it there.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - I don't know how lore friendly the game is as apparently some people care about that (personally i never saw any episode and actually didn't even knew Buffy was a highschooler before playing the game) but despite being a licensed title it is a surprisingly decent 3rd person platform brawler with some minor magic powers mixed in (mainly about increasing damage). It actually made me realize that there aren't many games these days like that (even something like the original Batman Asylum added a bunch of extra things like bat vision, etc, whereas this is a game where you explore 3D environments and beat up vampires - well, at least as far as i've played anyway). Nice visuals too. AFAIK this is an Xbox exclusive.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - First person exploration/horror/adventure game, kinda janky but fun. Supposedly the inspiration for the Penumbra series and i can see the connection. There is a PC version too though the Xbox version seems more stable. Note the "more" here though, the game is still quite buggy.

Classified: The Sentinel Crisis - A nice sci-fi-ish FPS where you are a power suit wearing badass that goes to kill poorly equipped people years before Crysis made the concept cool. People at the time said it was a Halo clone because of the shield-like regenerating health, but people at the time were morons who would claim anything vaguely resembling a popular game was a clone of that popular game. Come to think of it, they still do! Anyway, neat shooter.

Darkwatch - This is a quite known title, you are a vampire cowboy in a dark weird west setting with zombies, monsters and sexy screaming ladies, part of a black leather clad organization that fights people like you, or something. The game is ok though IMO it is more style than substance. That said, i like the style.

Doom 3 / RoE - Basically a port of the PC title, but it has various changes compared to the PC version, mainly in the level design. TBH i only recommend it if you like Doom 3 and want to see a slightly different take on it. Think of it more as a mod to the PC version than a game on its own.

Metal Dungeon - Ok, this is a weird one. You know how big Wizardry is in Japan, right? This is a game that stems from an era when developers were under the impression that console gamers were drooling morons incapable of holding more than a single thought together and unable to pay attention to something for more than half a second. So the game feels like the developers REALLY wanted to make a Wizardry clone but "kids these days" (kids of 2002 that is) would be able to play the game, so they made a few compromises. The game is really a dungeon crawler, it has all the Japanese Wizardry Clone crawler hallmarks like a menu-based "city" with shops, "guilds" (it uses a different term but whatever, same deal), church (same), a dungeon built below the city, etc. You manually build a party and i think (didn't try) you can even go and pick up any bodies of previous parties you lost. Nice stuff right? Well, sure, except remember what the developers thought about the games' tastes these -2002- days and instead of making the game first person, it is actually 3rd person - though you are still walking around as a blob (with one character representing the entire party). Also it isn't step based but free walking... BUT at the same time, the map is set on a paper grid (walls are on the grid edges), the monsters do roam around but instead of being visible they are represented as rotating orbs, you find chests, etc. Also since -2002- gamers can't be bothered to wait for turn based combat, the combat is... turn based, still, but it happens automatically. You can change what the party members do in their turns but this happens in parallel with the combat so it might take a while. At the same time turns really play out like your average Wizardry clone and it even happens in a separate screen with the party members facing the enemies (there is even back and front placement). One amusing thing is that you can change the animation speed and at the fastest speed the animations do not play at all: the party members and monsters stand there facing each other with damage numbers floating above their heads until one side wipes the other :-P.

The game is still neat though and i like the sci-fi theme even if it is a blatant reskin of a fantasy game (i.e. orcs become orcs in scifi armor, scorpions become cyborg scorpions, there are still things like angels or whatever but have lasers, etc)

Pariah - This a nice FPS that also got the "Halo clone" moniker though this time it probably made a bit more sense as in addition to replenishing health pieces you also drive a vehicle at a couple of points and it does have a few scripted setpieces. But at least personally i liked it more than Halo (which i played many years ago), if for no other reason than liking the setting more. I also have the PC version i got years ago and from what i remember the Xbox version is basically the same.

Stolen - This is a low budget stealth game with a good looking protagonist in a dark futuristic city common of the late 90s / early 2000s style (you know, dark environment, leather clad protagonist, black shades, etc). You get a bunch of gadgets to work with to distract enemies or hear them from a distance. It also has a nice lockpicking minigame that kinda feel like picking a lock. There is a PC version too (actually the lockpicking shot is from the PC version) and last time i tried it worked ok.

Sudeki - This is basically a JRPG made by Brits. It is quite nice actually, though it has that feel of early Westerner attempts at JRPGs that feel like the developers only knew of JRPG and Anime tropes from popular anime they only watched dubbed versions of. Also the voice actors DO sound like the overacting VAs you'd hear in Anime and JRPG dubs, which i'm sure is the developers' attempt to make something sound more authentic but they miss the part where they are inspired from subpar works. Ignoring that however the game is fun, at least up to near the ending where... stuff that i wont spoil happens and becomes a bit annoying. For most of the time the game is played from a 3rd person perspective though some ranged weapons do switch it to first person. You control a party of characters you build over the course of the game and you can switch between characters. FWIW the developers did seem to be butt aficionados as not only one of the female characters' clothing features hers prominently, but the level light sources are so often at the appropriate level to show off its curves and contours that i'm certain wasn't accidental :-P. Sadly the faces are a bit Deviantartish though. Note that there is also a PC version which again last time i tried worked fine, though this game might feel more at home at a big TV played from the couch than a PC monitor and a desk chair.

Those are the games i tried on Xbox anyway.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. Also on PS2 but the Xbox version is the best since it runs better and has better graphics. Top 3 best 6th generation console FPS.
The Otogi games look interesting.
The Xbox version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent is the only good one. The PS2/Gamecube/Wii versions are the same, technically, but graphics are a massive downgrade and on the gameplay side you can't disable all the lights with the OCP and levels are cut down.

Ash

Arcane
Ninja Gaiden Black - one of the best action games ever made, still has combat that puts modern games to shame, if you're only going to play one, play this. Also, the most technically competent game on Xbox, runs at 60 fps.
This. To me, The original Xbox was the Ninja Gaiden 1 machine. Everything else of value was on the PC and PS2, or otherwise multiplatform, so on the PC and PS2. That said, I haven't played all the games in Don Peste 's list.

No idea why people are recommending Darkwatch, Pariah & Classified: The Sentinel Crisis. All three are pretty much the epitome of garbage 2000s FPS. I even respect gaylo more.
In fact I think these along with Gaylo were probably the FPS that woke me up to the absurdity of 2000s FPS and the trend of general decline sometime around the middle of the decade. Well, tons of games did that (e.g PC games also like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, DX:IW), but these in particular were so fucking soulless I swear. Other games (like the aforementioned PC games) often disguised their shittyness with cinematic flair, unique shallow gimmicks, new age graphics whatever, but these had NOTHING of merit.

Last edited:

911 Jumper

Educated
Great console, but I would say that since Xbox is my main platform. These are my personal picks, so there will be a bunch of highly rated games not on the list:
Team NINJA's games
PGR1 and PGR2
Halo and Halo 2
Manhunt
Splinter Cell Trilogy and Double Agent (OG Xbox ver is similar to Chaos Theory)
SSX Tricky and SSX 3
Burnout 2 and Burnout 3
Shenmue 2
Jet Set Radio Future
Phantasy Star Online

Egosphere

Arcane
Halo 1: people like to shit on Halo but the first one is a good console shooter, the GFX are clean compared to the candy factory it turned into right after with 2 and the weapon balance really stands out, which also went to shit with 2. Probably the sharpest most immediate decline I've ever witnessed in a game series. Play 2 after it and you'll get what I mean.

Otogi: Eccentric character action, real cool presentation, pretty hard at times.
The problem with Halo 1 though is that the levels are massive and the enemy count is quite low, so often you find yourself trudging through empty areas. Also the indoor maps can become terribly repetitive as it's the same set of rooms and corridors pasted over and over again.

AndyS

Augur
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - I don't know how lore friendly the game is as apparently some people care about that (personally i never saw any episode and actually didn't even knew Buffy was a highschooler before playing the game) but despite being a licensed title it is a surprisingly decent 3rd person platform brawler with some minor magic powers mixed in (mainly about increasing damage). It actually made me realize that there aren't many games these days like that (even something like the original Batman Asylum added a bunch of extra things like bat vision, etc, whereas this is a game where you explore 3D environments and beat up vampires - well, at least as far as i've played anyway). Nice visuals too. AFAIK this is an Xbox exclusive.
It was reasonably faithful to the show. Most of the characters were voiced by the original actors except Buffy and I think someone besides Mark Metcalf did the Master. Everything looked accurate enough. The engine they developed for the game was really good about including details like allowing you to toss holy water in a pool to turn the entire thing into holy water so you could toss vampires in for instant kills, or how you could smash anything over an enemy's head and then pick up a chair leg or something to improvise a stake.

Spike

Educated
Cool that most of these seem emulatable. In fact, the only ones that are not, of the ones I want to play, are Otogi 1/2...I have them for OG Xbox but it's nice for convenience's sake to have it for emulator.

Any way, also look into Magatama. JP onry. XEMU (emulator) says it is playable, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom