I've got Audiomulch: suggestion , advice ?

Plugins, DAWs, iOS/Android, software modular, etc. A place for all things soft...
amsonx
Grey Man Patcher

I've got Audiomulch: suggestion , advice ?

Post by amsonx »

I've got Audiomulch and know that here there are some fellow wiggler that use it , so i'm love to know how do you use Audiomulch along your modular system

thanks in advance

diego
FS (EU) Roland R8 MKII perfect condition

richard wrote:
"we just need some mutlinational to grab the copyrights over the sine wave and we are all fucked"
amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia »

I sometimes use Amulch to phuk up my modular and sometimes just use Mulch by itself

[video][/video]
Last edited by amnesia on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
amsonx
Grey Man Patcher

Post by amsonx »

I've do some trial with Silent Way LFO controlled by the AudiomulchMetasurface : it's amazing :)
i hope to post some sound made with this combo the next week
:bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:

richard wrote:
"we just need some mutlinational to grab the copyrights over the sine wave and we are all fucked"
Babaluma

Post by Babaluma »

i've been using mulch for about ten years, it's great for just about anything you want to do with audio EXCEPT if you are used to a "regular" DAW (or need a fine wave file editor), but then it was never designed to be a DAW in the first place.

it's so modular in its approach that it should be very easy for you to pick up and learn quickly. let me know if you have any specific questions/problems, i would be glad to help out!
amsonx
Grey Man Patcher

Post by amsonx »

Babaluma wrote:i've been using mulch for about ten years, it's great for just about anything you want to do with audio EXCEPT if you are used to a "regular" DAW (or need a fine wave file editor), but then it was never designed to be a DAW in the first place.

it's so modular in its approach that it should be very easy for you to pick up and learn quickly. let me know if you have any specific questions/problems, i would be glad to help out!

thanks for this :)
In this weekend i've a lot of time to play with it , and yes, for sure his modular nature is the thing that most point me to Audiomulch

richard wrote:
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

i copied and pasted this from another forum/thread from a few days back.. not necessarily a "how do i use it with my modular" answer but is still generally how i use it..

it's easy to turn a computer into a pretty intense DSP box with audiomulch.

I've been using it since V0.9x.. so like 10+ years.. shit.. has it been that long?

anyway - i have used it for just about everything at one time or another... processing, making sampler foddeer, playing live, (worked on a patch for a while that i just had a starting place.. would press play and then just manipulate parameters on the fly.. every set was different), writing entire songs in it.

i've done a lot of songs it..just using it and some VST's. currently i still use it that way but now that numerology (mac only) works as a VST i have a killer midi sequencer i drop in it.. also, reaktor sequencers work well in it. there's just something about audiomulch's interface i really like. it's simple and immediate and i'm not overwhelmed with choices.. plus all the contraptions in it sounds great. i had a very long love affair with the granulator and comb filter.

it's not a complete DAW but if it was all i had to use i could make it work.. it would just be cumbersome for some tasks.

at first it seems pretty limited but it's really capable of so much. once you start patching it just goes places. the metasurface is something else. a very cool interface for control.

there will never be a piano roll midi sequencer type thing in audiomulch. he's said many times it will always remain frequency based.. and made comments like "if you want a piano roll there are plenty of other apps out there to give you that". i'm fine with that mulch will always be geared towards experimentation and i think that's missing for a lot of people.

if anything i'd compare it to Plogue bidule. similar paradigm but bidule offers a lot of different stuff and more advanced midi integration as well as working as plug in.

i use mulch all the time still.. everything i do touches it in some way. here's some links to mulch tunes if anyone is interested. i recommend downloading the demo and checking out the example files for some ideas about what you can do.

tracks 4 and 8 on this are audiomulch only

this long form ambient release is all audiomulch as well. done in one take to stereo

http://www.outrecords.com/removal_equation.html

most of my tracks on this EP are audiomulch as well

this is 100% audiomulch (several years old now but whatever)

http://ignatiusmusic.bandcamp.com/al...samer-remaster

this, even older release is all audiomulch as well

http://www.outrecords.com/baggage_handler.html

basically, when i started getting more into it i made a patch that has two sides. one side is 4 drum player.. the other side is 4 loopers. each with it's own 8x8 matrix mixer (i love the matrix mixers). the outputs of the matrix mixers would feed plug ins, mulch FX etc though the first 2 channels of each matrix mixer would be the dry/unprocessed audio from whatever is patched into the matrix mixers.. the outputs of all those things would feed a big ass mixer (though now would feed the multi track recorder then a big ass mixer)

load up samples you want to use in the drum machines.. start with just a few.. i grouped them by type of sound when i can (kicks in one snares in another etc) though some times each one is a little drum kit that is going to get processed).. then i just start jamming.. making patterns.. saving lot's of snapshots on everything as i go... eventually it develops.. add/remove FX etc based on what the track is becoming.. then i get to a place where start automating snapshots.. it becomes just playing with numbers at that point and trying to get interesting changes to happen and find interesting combinations of things.

it can be a little tedious at times but once you get into it you can get into the zone and get a lot done. the danger is that the songs can end up being super long and need editing later.. or they turn into songs which isn't such a bad thing.. it really depends on what kind of music you are making and what your goals are.. i'm doing a lot of dense heavily processed stuff some times which is obvious with my process.

but.. i've heard a lot of things done in mulch that were very pretty, breaky, minimal etc.. uber chopped up amen break type stuff that was done by modulating parameters of the loopers. there are a ot of little tricks you pick up in regards to modulating one simple thing and just knowing the tempo/timing of a loop. you can jump around in it anywhere just by automating the snapshots.

i like to jam with mulch.. add things.. take things away.. drop in an instance of uTonic or reaktor and now numerology which really opens things up in new ways... but you don't have to rely on outside sources... it really is a deceptively simple application on the surface.

edit: re the drums contraption in mulch.. i love it when i have 2 or 3 or 4 of them making up the beat.. then you can shift the patterns of each contraption left or right and come up with interesting variations really quickly.. it's fun when playing live with mulch though sometimes is a little trainwrecky...
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

This is inspiration to start using it again. I really LIKE this program - I stopped using it because midi routing sucks, and (as I recall) it's annoying that the audio inputs don't have any meters on them. Damn. Thanks for the reminder that I own it.
limpmeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by limpmeat »

I haven't used audio mulch for 8 years or so, I suppose I'll notice a big difference?

might have to grab the demo.
rossb
1-Post Wiggler

Post by rossb »

Nelson Baboon wrote:This is inspiration to start using it again. I really LIKE this program
Hi there,

Sorry to drop by from outer space, just thought I'd add some info to the thread...
Nelson Baboon wrote: I stopped using it because midi routing sucks
I know MIDI isn't AudioMulch's strong point. I would be interested to hear what you think sucks about it.

Back in 2009 Version 2.0 added patchable MIDI routing. Version 2.2 being released early next year will add MIDI output contraptions so you can send MIDI to external gear (this is already in testing if anyone has an immediate need for it).
Nelson Baboon wrote: and (as I recall) it's annoying that the audio inputs don't have any meters on them.
I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting, but to the best of my memory there have always been level meters for all inputs and outputs and I'm pretty sure that SoundIn and SoundOut meters were always visible by default. Maybe the SoundIn meter got hidden? It is true that meters for additional auxiliary inputs and outputs are not shown by default.

In version 1.0 you can show and hide them individually either by right-clicking on the level meters and choosing "Configure Level Meters..." or by choosing View > Toolbars > Configure Level Meters... from the main menu.

In version 2.0 you have to go to Edit > Settings and then view the Audio Input Meters or Audio Output Meters page to select which meters are visible.

Since version 2.0 there has also been a feature to display level indicators on the inputs and outputs of each contraption in the patcher. You can enable these indicators by choosing View > Show Contraption Input/Output Activity Indicators from the main menu (this also shows MIDI activity on contraption MIDI ports).

Nelson Baboon wrote: Damn. Thanks for the reminder that I own it.
Thanks for buying it :) If you have requests or suggestions please feel free to email me at rossb [at] audiomulch.com. There is also a feature request forum at AudioMulch.com. There are limits to what I can implement with each release but I do try to listen to user requests.

Season's greetings,

Ross.
Babaluma

Post by Babaluma »

nice to see you here ross! i upgraded to mulch 2 over the summer and it rocks!
Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon »

As far as midi - I'm hardly using it at all now, so that's no longer an issue. It's been awhile, but I do remember some issues routing it to multiple external instruments. Sorry if I can't provide more detail.

Thanks for the tips on the meters. Obviously I wasn't being thorough - I think that I didn't see them, did a brief search and found someone mentioning something like this, and so made the wrong assumption. Since I had just deferred to ableton because of the easy midi routing, I didn't try hard enough here.

rossb wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:This is inspiration to start using it again. I really LIKE this program
Hi there,

Sorry to drop by from outer space, just thought I'd add some info to the thread...
Nelson Baboon wrote: I stopped using it because midi routing sucks
I know MIDI isn't AudioMulch's strong point. I would be interested to hear what you think sucks about it.

Back in 2009 Version 2.0 added patchable MIDI routing. Version 2.2 being released early next year will add MIDI output contraptions so you can send MIDI to external gear (this is already in testing if anyone has an immediate need for it).
Nelson Baboon wrote: and (as I recall) it's annoying that the audio inputs don't have any meters on them.
I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting, but to the best of my memory there have always been level meters for all inputs and outputs and I'm pretty sure that SoundIn and SoundOut meters were always visible by default. Maybe the SoundIn meter got hidden? It is true that meters for additional auxiliary inputs and outputs are not shown by default.

In version 1.0 you can show and hide them individually either by right-clicking on the level meters and choosing "Configure Level Meters..." or by choosing View > Toolbars > Configure Level Meters... from the main menu.

In version 2.0 you have to go to Edit > Settings and then view the Audio Input Meters or Audio Output Meters page to select which meters are visible.

Since version 2.0 there has also been a feature to display level indicators on the inputs and outputs of each contraption in the patcher. You can enable these indicators by choosing View > Show Contraption Input/Output Activity Indicators from the main menu (this also shows MIDI activity on contraption MIDI ports).

Nelson Baboon wrote: Damn. Thanks for the reminder that I own it.
Thanks for buying it :) If you have requests or suggestions please feel free to email me at rossb [at] audiomulch.com. There is also a feature request forum at AudioMulch.com. There are limits to what I can implement with each release but I do try to listen to user requests.

Season's greetings,

Ross.
renderful
Common Wiggler

Post by renderful »

After having spent so much time/money on audio software, in the search to find a good workflow, I continue to come back to AudioMulch. Every time I re-realize that this tool fills my urge to fiddle and is actually productive at the same time.

The lack of deep note/cc sequencing kept me using Ableton Suite and Renoise, but then I discovered Numerology(and Numerology added the ability to be hosted as a plugin). I'm now finding the combination of AudioMulch and Numerology to be very flexible, and deadly.

The combination can also create unpredictable organisms very quickly, which is something that I really appreciate.

I'm not quite ready to sell off my Live license yet, as its groovebox nature is also very fun, but I am realizing that it generally leads to being stuck in loop hell while Mulch/Numerology often go somewhere larger.
haricots
Old Astronaut

Post by haricots »

I'm currently contemplating this piece of sw (it's been quite a while since I've delved in music software.. In demo mode right now but very cool so far.
Babaluma

Post by Babaluma »

Mulch is my favourite piece of audio software ever! Extremely easy to use for people into modulars too.
solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen »

One day when I have more time to explore it I plan to upgrade from the demo version :) Fabulous software, and created by a top bloke too (hi Ross if you are still lurking here).
REwire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REwire »

I've never known what Audiomulch was. No Plug in version of it?

BTW, What's that software that the MakeNoise Echophon is based on?
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

REwire wrote:I've never known what Audiomulch was. No Plug in version of it?
not so far but who knows.. i doubt it'll happen any time soon though.. probably not for years if i had to guess.

if you want a plug in version of something in the same ball park as audiomulch i recommend plogue bidulebut they are quite different in a lot of ways.

http://www.plogue.com/
REwire wrote:BTW, What's that software that the MakeNoise Echophon is based on?
soundhack pitch delay.. one of his free plug ins

http://soundhack.henfast.com/
keetz
Common Wiggler

Post by keetz »

I have just recently re-discovered audiomulch. I hadn't used it since I stopped using PCs a loooong time ago.

I've been playing with the demo and it's a lot of fun. I've had some stability issues with it, but that may have been from some of the Audio Unit plugins I was using with it.

I can see how numerology as a plugin would be a gnarly little combo.

I was also looking at Plogue Bidule, but the licensing seemed weird - expires every couple months until they reach 1.0?!? :woah:

Anyone have a quick summary on Plogue vs. audiomulch?
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

keetz wrote: I've been playing with the demo and it's a lot of fun. I've had some stability issues with it, but that may have been from some of the Audio Unit plugins I was using with it.
it still is a bit smoother on windows in my experience but not that much smoother.

AUs and some plug ins in general will cause some weird behavior some times. most of my plugs work just fine though. i always report any issues to the plug in developers since testing in mulch is typically not high on their list of things to do. but i use a ton of plug ins and only occasionally have an issue.
keetz wrote:I can see how numerology as a plugin would be a gnarly little combo.
they do work pretty nicely together. i sometimes get a timing freak out but just pressing stop and play usually takes care of it.
keetz wrote:I was also looking at Plogue Bidule, but the licensing seemed weird - expires every couple months until they reach 1.0?!? :woah:
that's what i thought too but one you purchase it it works like any other app. the demo version expires. they are pretty cool about answering questions so if you aren't clear on something shoot them an email.
keetz wrote:Anyone have a quick summary on Plogue vs. audiomulch?
plogue bidule allows more low level building ,lot's of spectral processing stuff, deeper midi support, you can build actual instruments, plug in support.. you can load vst/au plug ins in the plug in so it can act as a host in _any_ DAW that supports vst/AU so that means any plug in that is only vst or only au becomes usable in any host, bidule's interface i find a bit clunky but i'm really used to audiomulch so perhaps i'm not the best to comment. bidule has built in midi sequencers and perhaps better midi routing?

audiomulch is directed mostly at audio processing. i've made whole tracks in it for years using the drum contraptions and loopers and a bunch of FX then automating snapshots. mulch does not have all the low level coding available and you can't build your own contraptions or combine a bunch of contraptions into a macro device which you can do in bidule. audiomulch is very easy to get going in and is deceptively simple. snapshot automation is fantastic and you can automate/control any parameter with a midi controller or just using the automation lanes. mulch has no built in midi sequencing or piano roll device and never will according Ross.
shamann
_

Post by shamann »

I suspect Bidule may never reach v1.0. It could have long, long ago.

There's surprisingly little overlap between the two once you dig into them. At least for me, Audiomulch's master timeline and snapshot functions influence my approach to it considerably. Timing and sequencing in Bidule is a lot like a hardware modular, where you start with discreet clocks and sequencers to make things progress.

I've used both together a long time, for me Bidule is to Audiomulch what Max4Live is to Ableton Live.
keetz
Common Wiggler

Post by keetz »

ignatius: Thanks for the great summary :tu:

Starting to get more comfy with audiomulch, about to install the Plogue demo.

It will probably end up being the typical muff's solution: Get both!
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius »

shamann wrote:I suspect Bidule may never reach v1.0. It could have long, long ago.

There's surprisingly little overlap between the two once you dig into them. At least for me, Audiomulch's master timeline and snapshot functions influence my approach to it considerably. Timing and sequencing in Bidule is a lot like a hardware modular, where you start with discreet clocks and sequencers to make things progress.
well put. and me too!
confusional
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by confusional »

ignatius wrote:i copied and pasted this from another forum/thread from a few days back.. not necessarily a "how do i use it with my modular" answer but is still generally how i use it..

it's easy to turn a computer into a pretty intense DSP box with audiomulch.

I've been using it since V0.9x.. so like 10+ years.. shit.. has it been that long?

anyway - i have used it for just about everything at one time or another... processing, making sampler foddeer, playing live, (worked on a patch for a while that i just had a starting place.. would press play and then just manipulate parameters on the fly.. every set was different), writing entire songs in it.

i've done a lot of songs it..just using it and some VST's. currently i still use it that way but now that numerology (mac only) works as a VST i have a killer midi sequencer i drop in it.. also, reaktor sequencers work well in it. there's just something about audiomulch's interface i really like. it's simple and immediate and i'm not overwhelmed with choices.. plus all the contraptions in it sounds great. i had a very long love affair with the granulator and comb filter.

it's not a complete DAW but if it was all i had to use i could make it work.. it would just be cumbersome for some tasks.

at first it seems pretty limited but it's really capable of so much. once you start patching it just goes places. the metasurface is something else. a very cool interface for control.

there will never be a piano roll midi sequencer type thing in audiomulch. he's said many times it will always remain frequency based.. and made comments like "if you want a piano roll there are plenty of other apps out there to give you that". i'm fine with that mulch will always be geared towards experimentation and i think that's missing for a lot of people.

if anything i'd compare it to Plogue bidule. similar paradigm but bidule offers a lot of different stuff and more advanced midi integration as well as working as plug in.

i use mulch all the time still.. everything i do touches it in some way. here's some links to mulch tunes if anyone is interested. i recommend downloading the demo and checking out the example files for some ideas about what you can do.

tracks 4 and 8 on this are audiomulch only

this long form ambient release is all audiomulch as well. done in one take to stereo

http://www.outrecords.com/removal_equation.html

most of my tracks on this EP are audiomulch as well

this is 100% audiomulch (several years old now but whatever)

http://ignatiusmusic.bandcamp.com/al...samer-remaster

this, even older release is all audiomulch as well

http://www.outrecords.com/baggage_handler.html

basically, when i started getting more into it i made a patch that has two sides. one side is 4 drum player.. the other side is 4 loopers. each with it's own 8x8 matrix mixer (i love the matrix mixers). the outputs of the matrix mixers would feed plug ins, mulch FX etc though the first 2 channels of each matrix mixer would be the dry/unprocessed audio from whatever is patched into the matrix mixers.. the outputs of all those things would feed a big ass mixer (though now would feed the multi track recorder then a big ass mixer)

load up samples you want to use in the drum machines.. start with just a few.. i grouped them by type of sound when i can (kicks in one snares in another etc) though some times each one is a little drum kit that is going to get processed).. then i just start jamming.. making patterns.. saving lot's of snapshots on everything as i go... eventually it develops.. add/remove FX etc based on what the track is becoming.. then i get to a place where start automating snapshots.. it becomes just playing with numbers at that point and trying to get interesting changes to happen and find interesting combinations of things.

it can be a little tedious at times but once you get into it you can get into the zone and get a lot done. the danger is that the songs can end up being super long and need editing later.. or they turn into songs which isn't such a bad thing.. it really depends on what kind of music you are making and what your goals are.. i'm doing a lot of dense heavily processed stuff some times which is obvious with my process.

but.. i've heard a lot of things done in mulch that were very pretty, breaky, minimal etc.. uber chopped up amen break type stuff that was done by modulating parameters of the loopers. there are a ot of little tricks you pick up in regards to modulating one simple thing and just knowing the tempo/timing of a loop. you can jump around in it anywhere just by automating the snapshots.

i like to jam with mulch.. add things.. take things away.. drop in an instance of uTonic or reaktor and now numerology which really opens things up in new ways... but you don't have to rely on outside sources... it really is a deceptively simple application on the surface.

edit: re the drums contraption in mulch.. i love it when i have 2 or 3 or 4 of them making up the beat.. then you can shift the patterns of each contraption left or right and come up with interesting variations really quickly.. it's fun when playing live with mulch though sometimes is a little trainwrecky...
Thank you for this post, as well as for turning me on to the above tracks. I just bought your EP. Awesome! :nana:
Babaluma

Post by Babaluma »

new version 2.2 just released today, has some cool new features, been beta testing it for a few months now!

more info here:

http://www.audiomulch.com/info/whats-new
moogah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by moogah »

Loaded this up a couple nights ago along with a ton of other demos (numerology, a shatload of vsts, etc etc). This app was the clear standout of the bunch, really impressed me immediately and kept on impressing me.

Seems like the perfect fit for the computer side of a modular oriented setup. Unlike the DAWs it didn't seem to force itself to be the center of the entire setup. Sounded really good to my ears too.

Return to “Music Software”