The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Amiga CDTV on Shield TV

Rhoobarb2005

At the request of thatman84 I have created a thread for the Commodore Amiga CDTV from posts I had written in the main Amiga thread.

For the benefit of whoever might read this who isn't and may be interested, the CDTV and the CD32 were essentially the CD versions of the A500 and the A1200. And the 1200 would quite happily run MOST a500 games. Some even benefiting from the extra RAM. Some games needed a small trick that a1200 owners used that disabled some of the newer hardware features. And others just refused to run completely. Nearly all of the "CD32" games were just A500+ (OCS/ECS) or A1200 (AGA) games directly ported. With perhaps a poor quality CDXL video, or CD audio tracks added on. Very few were actually developed exclusively for the CD32. In fact I can only think of 1 game, Microcosm, that never made it to the A1200 because it streamed the in-game backgrounds direct from the CD.

The much hyped (at the time) Akiko chip that was meant to be a game changer for the CD32 failed to make any kind of impact as it was nothing that the exiting 1200 hardware couldn't do, just a bit slower. With that all in mind, I saw no reason why the CD32 shouldn't run CDTV titles. And it does (mostly from what I have tested), but I wanted to try and at least see if I could get the original CDTV ks and ext running. But the emulator just goes straight to the old wb1.3 'insert floppy'. So I tried the CD32 ks and ext, but with the settings set to the older OCS/ECS hardware. It either refused because the processor wasn't an 020 or just a blank screen. I think the key to booting into a CD is within the extended roms. Also, it seems the CD32 handles CDTV titles slightly different as the spinning CD32 logo does not appear.

There are not that many actual game titles for the CDTV, so you could in theory just throw the working titles in with the CD32 wheel.

Out of the 21 CDTV titles that I have. These are the test results for running on a Shield TV (may work on others), using UAE4Arm and the CD32 ks/ext roms.

Works:
Battlestorm
Case of the Cautious Condor
Fantastic Voyage
Global Chaos
Guy Spy
Prehistorik
Raffles
Sim City
Space Wars (Most overly faffy menu I have ever seen in any game ever)
Town With No Name
Turrican
Xenon II (Must Get!)

Works, but....:
Hound of the Baskervilles (Works, but need to set "dPad as Joystick" on port 0, and  "dPad as mouse" on port 1)
Psycho Killer (Works, but need to set "dPad as Mouse" on port 0, and  "dPad as joystick" on port 1)
Mind Run (Loads, but control system needs figuring out)
Tie Break (works, but main menu invisible)
Wrath of the Demon (Works, but uses the right analog stick to control.)

Broken:
Chaos in Andromeda (Nothing, just blank screen)
Log!cal (Starts with splash screen and music, but just goes to blank screen)
Power Pinball (Nothing, just blank screen)
The Curse of RA (Nothing, just blank screen)

I think you'll find it's the "Extra Chipset" option that is the issue. We can't select this on uae4arm on Android BUT Winuae on PC does have the option. The Curse of Ra for example does play in Winuae with the CDTV Extra Chipset option but if you use CD32 it won't play.

I haven't done extensive testing of CDTV games on Android yet. Thank you for testing and keeping track of what's working. Emumovies does stock some wheel, box art and video snaps for CDTV, so you can kit your Hyperspin wheel out

7 hours ago, rambo32 said:

I have a pretty good collection of amiga and amiga CD running with hyperspin but had no idea CDTV was possible on the shield, awesome info, thank you!!

No worries, I jut hope it's all part of the Amiga range getting some more love on the android.

5 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

I think you'll find it's the "Extra Chipset" option that is the issue. We can't select this on uae4arm on Android BUT Winuae on PC does have the option. The Curse of Ra for example does play in Winuae with the CDTV Extra Chipset option but if you use CD32 it won't play.

I haven't done extensive testing of CDTV games on Android yet. Thank you for testing and keeping track of what's working. Emumovies does stock some wheel, box art and video snaps for CDTV, so you can kit your Hyperspin wheel out

Yeah, obviously UAE4Arm doesn't natively support CDTV. Well, CD32 is bare-bones to say the least, I  just wonder if there is any way to fool it to getting the CDTV roms working. That extended rom is definitely the key.

11 minutes ago, Rhoobarb2005 said:

Yeah, obviously UAE4Arm doesn't natively support CDTV, well, CD32 is barebones to say the least, I  just wonder if there is any way to fool it to getting the CDTV roms working.

I didn't have any joy with it. As I said that "Extra Chipset" seems to be key, not to be confused with the "Extended Rom" file.

I'll have a chat with my buddy Ransom and ask if Amiberry has the option for using the CDTV Extra Chipset. The Devs are supposed to be working on bringing that emulator to Android at some point.

20 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

I didn't have any joy with it. As I said that "Extra Chipset" seems to be key, not to be confused with the "Extended Rom" file.

I'll have a chat with my buddy Ransom and ask if Amiberry has the option for using the CDTV Extra Chipset. The Devs are supposed to be working on bringing that emulator to Android at some point.

I don't remember the CDTV having any extra chipset that the A500 didn't have except the extended rom which was to handle the CD audio, and boot to CD, etc. But it was a long time ago.

Amiberry sounds good, but reading on here it seems like they are having trouble?

EDIT: I can't find any sources that say anything about any extra chipset other than the extended roms.

14 minutes ago, Rhoobarb2005 said:

I don't remember the CDTV having any extra chipset that the A500 didn't have except the extended rom. But it was a long time ago.

Amiberry sounds good, but reading on here it seems like they are having trouble?

If you use Winuae, look under the Advanced Chipset tab. The options there change depending on the Extra Chipset selected. You'll see CDTV has an SRAM option, CD32 has an NVRAM option. I think Commodore themselves said CDTV on CD32 has ~80% compatibility (don't quote me on it though).

The Amiberry devs asked for funding to get software for them to do the port, which they have now got. I've not really kept up to speed with their progress. I wasted a lot of time trying to compile Amiberry for Android, as they made out it could be done... so personally I take anything they say with a pinch of salt now.

34 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

If you use Winuae, look under the Advanced Chipset tab. The options there change depending on the Extra Chipset selected. You'll see CDTV has an SRAM option, CD32 has an NVRAM option. I think Commodore themselves said CDTV on CD32 has ~80% compatibility (don't quote me on it though).

The Amiberry devs asked for funding to get software for them to do the port, which they have now got. I've not really kept up to speed with their progress. I wasted a lot of time trying to compile Amiberry for Android, as they made out it could be done... so personally I take anything they say with a pinch of salt now.

The savegame RAM? Sorry I thought you meant some extra chip that had more commands and functions on. The NVRAM was literally a (woefully) tiny memory chip that held savegame data. You can access it by pressing one of the coloured buttons on the CD32 load screen (I forget which).

Well, as UAE has a NVRAM savepoint for the CD32, it might work for the CDTV.

10 minutes ago, Rhoobarb2005 said:

The savegame RAM? Sorry I thought you meant some extra chip that had more commands and functions on. The NVRAM was literally a (woefully) tiny memory chip that held savegame data. You can access it by pressing one of the coloured buttons on the CD32 load screen (I forget which).

Well, as UAE has a NVRAM savepoint for the CD32, it might work for the CDTV.

I'm doing that from memory, there are more options and specific tick boxes for CDTV and CD32. You're welcome to tinker around but I didn't have any joy, some of the CDTV games just wouldn't play for me without the CDTV extra chipset option enabled.

Personally I wouldn't bundle CDTV games into CD32. Just omit the games that are currently incompatible in the CDTV.xml for us Android users. I don't think Emumovies has a complete set of video snaps for CDTV, so any games we can play can be recorded and missing media made. I'm still doing the Amiga stuff, I was putting CDTV off until that was finished.

22 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

I'm doing that from memory, there are more options and specific tick boxes for CDTV and CD32. You're welcome to tinker around but I didn't have any joy, some of the CDTV games just wouldn't play for me without the CDTV extra chipset option enabled.

Personally I wouldn't bundle CDTV games into CD32. Just omit the games that are currently incompatible in the CDTV.xml for us Android users. I don't think Emumovies has a complete set of video snaps for CDTV, so any games we can play can be recorded and missing media made. I'm still doing the Amiga stuff, I was putting CDTV off until that was finished.

My info is all from memory too, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, but I can remember the NVRAM being terribly small 25 years ago. lol.

I haven't bundled them in with the CD32 either, I have created a new wheel. It was just an option for some as creating a new wheel just for 15 or so working games is a lot of faff. There doesn't seem to be a CDTV theme anywhere though. I think everything else media wise is available from here or emumovies. I haven't finished the media stuff yet, but IIRC all the working games I tested had mp4 snaps from emumovies.

If you like edutainment and early 90's multimedia or public domain, the CDTV has plenty of that. I only wanted the games though.

21 minutes ago, Rhoobarb2005 said:

Cool beans, that would be great!

I would give it a go, but I would have to brush up on my flash again.?

Android has issues with themes using swf flash files. I'll knock up a main menu theme and a default theme for the game menu and add CDTV to my Shield TV. I'll "demo" it in a Youtube video and link it here. You can post feedback and we can work on making any adjustments.

1 hour ago, Honosuseri said:

Android has issues with themes using swf flash files. I'll knock up a main menu theme and a default theme for the game menu and add CDTV to my Shield TV. I'll "demo" it in a Youtube video and link it here. You can post feedback and we can work on making any adjustments.

Huh, I did not know that.

Cool, will do.

29 minutes ago, Rhoobarb2005 said:

Huh, I did not know that.

Cool, will do.

There is actually already a pretty decent theme pack made with all the assets you need (xml file, video, wheel art, pointer etc). Bjalready used png files in the zip file so it should be Android compatible :)

6 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

Just heard back from Ransom. The new build of Amiberry DOES have CDTV listed under the Extra Chipset (he sent screenshots). When it will be ported to Android is anyone's guess though. Apparently the devs are dodging questions about it's progress.

Well that's good news, at least in terms of the CDTV not being left out.

2 hours ago, Rhoobarb2005 said:

Well that's good news, at least in terms of the CDTV not being left out.

It also has a preset for the CDTV-CR (aka CDTV II). It's frustrating seeing single board computers getting love while Android development moves at a snails pace. Although we are assured the port is being worked on.

So you see now why I haven't devoted much time to Amiga on Android when the emulators are in "hiatus". I'm more committed to overhauling Amiga on PC with static named hdf files, this will help content creators fill in the missing media. If/when Android emulation improves these media assets will obviously be used

3 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

It also has a preset for the CDTV-CR (aka CDTV II). It's frustrating seeing single board computers getting love while Android development moves at a snails pace. Although we are assured the port is being worked on.

So you see now why I haven't devoted much time to Amiga on Android when the emulators are in "hiatus". I'm more committed to overhauling Amiga on PC with static named hdf files, this will help content creators fill in the missing media. If/when Android emulation improves these media assets will obviously be used

Just have to work with what we have I guess ?

Archived