IGNORED

Pitfall: the Mayan Adventure

Atarifever

So, I've been playing more of this game and I have yet to see why it doesn't generally get much respect. Some of the enemies are great (like the cave painting people who turn to revel that they're paper thin, the skeltons that throw their own bones at you, and the snakes who double as climbing ladders). Also, the game looks awesome with Harry having a ton of fluid animations and many of the background elements looking surprisingly well done. I particularly like the flaming fire wrecking balls. Also, the platforming sections are pretty imaginative, with some backgrounds becoming the playing area at certain times and some odd springboard mechanisms. The only small problem I've had is that it's a little hard sometimes to hit an enemy while you're climbing. Other than that, this game is pretty top notch stuff. It isn't Mario or Sonic, but it's definitely well enough done to deserve the Pitfall name. It doesn't seem rushed or poorly thought out, the people who made it tried to make itenjoyable and good looking, and there are even some throwback elements to the origial like the growing and shrinking quicksand, the gold bricks, and the swinging ropes (yeah, I know they aren't vines, but it's close).

I've got a question about this though. In The Videogme Critic's review of the game he points out that the Jaguar version is the best looking. I haven't seen any of the other versions and I haven't found any site with a comparison done. I was wondering if this vesion is actually better looking than the SNES or Genesis versions. Has anyone played either of the other versions? On a related note, I love "Flashback" on every system I've played it on and have the Jag version coming. Hardcore Gaming 101 mentioned that "The Jaguar version is the smoothest and probably the best of the cartridge releases". Is that also true? I was always under the impression that Jaguar ports of stuff on the SNES and Genesis was just an exact translation of the SNES version (well, obviously Doom isn't). Did these companies actually put something extra into the Jag releases?

Edited by Atarifever

Hello,

Interresting as it is, I had the 32-X version and really found no difference between it and the Jaguar version. Either version of the game is outstanding though!

Surely the Jaguar version looked better by far more colours on screen, and higher resolution?

I guess some comparison screenshots for all games are required...

Cheers,

JustClaws.

Surely the Jaguar version looked better by far more colours on screen, and higher resolution?

Please make up your mind. Why the 32x should not be able to handle all the colors and resolution displayed by the Jaguar version?

Edited by agradeneu

I love the Jag version and its great that you can also play the 2600 original on it too. The Jag version has more colours on screen than any other version (32,000 I think) more frames of animation and also better sound. I've played both the SNES and Megadrive versions and they are no where near as nice as the Jag one, havn't played the 32X version.

Hey, I got some screen shots of some versions from Moby games. In order they are Genesis, SNES, PC, and Jaguar.

Here are the links to the full size Genesis and SNES versions (I don't know why they attached smaller).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/pitf...meShotId,97912/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/pitfall...eShotId,159222/

post-5952-1152802625_thumb.jpg

post-5952-1152802648_thumb.jpg

post-5952-1152802660_thumb.jpg

post-5952-1152802677_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atarifever

Both Pitfall and Flashback I had them for both the Sega/Sega CD and they look and play identical yes The Jag has a little better animation Frame Rate is higher and both games area a tiny bit higher...grapkic wise no the character boards were the same...

It is kinda like taking a game that was made for a 386 computer and running it on a Pentium looks morecolorfull but the same game.

The Problem is that Pitfall is a game that is to hard to be fun(I guess you could get good at it). Loved the 2600 vs. didn't like the new 1.

Flashback is a game that was ahead of its time in the day but now runs to slow to be fun.

Kinda like trying to go back and Play Virtua Fighter 1 way to slow to be fun but fun in its day.

Both Pitfall and Flashback I had them for both the Sega/Sega CD and they look and play identical yes The Jag has a little better animation Frame Rate is higher and both games area a tiny bit higher...grapkic wise no the character boards were the same...

It is kinda like taking a game that was made for a 386 computer and running it on a Pentium looks morecolorfull but the same game.

The Problem is that Pitfall is a game that is to hard to be fun(I guess you could get good at it). Loved the 2600 vs. didn't like the new 1.

Flashback is a game that was ahead of its time in the day but now runs to slow to be fun.

Kinda like trying to go back and Play Virtua Fighter 1 way to slow to be fun but fun in its day.

I guess there are people who would find Pitfall too hard. But then, there are people who find Revenge of Shinobi too hard.

As for Flashback, well, I could play any version of that all day. Technically, I've even played it on the N-Gage as I played it through the Genesis Symbian emulator. I don't find it too slow to be fun.

You can see how the Jag has better color and some more detail than the other two. The Genny version suffers from a weaker color pallet, and it really shows here. I'd like to see how the 32X version looks.

Tempest

Ugh, that dithering on the Genesis version turns my stomach!

Paint Shop says that the Jaguar title screen is using over 67,000 colors.

Someone should do a comparison of a bunch of the versions of the game for the Atari Times. Anyone own a bunch of them?

Edited by Atarifever

I am tellng you guys that the 32-X version of Pitfall is damn close to the Jaguar version, as it does fully blow the SNES, Genesis, and Sega CD versions out of the water! mLook, I love the Jaguar, but the 32-X was actually a pretty damn cool system that was way underused as well.

I heard the 32x version was pretty good but lacked some of the parallax the Jag version had. I think one was the multiscrolling waterfall effect and a few other little things. But other than that, real close.

I played the SNES version. It's a pretty good version. The Jag version does indeed have more animation in a few areas. The mine cart ride areas and a few others that I can remember noticing.

Edited by JagChris

I'd like to elaborate on what I've said in this thread already. Whatever version you play, I think Pitfall:The Mayan Adventure was just highly underrated and got less attention than it deserved. It is a great little platformer. The only real complaint I have is it was kind of short and no 2D sequel was made.

I'd like to elaborate on what I've said in this thread already. Whatever version you play, I think Pitfall:The Mayan Adventure was just highly underrated and got less attention than it deserved. It is a great little platformer. The only real complaint I have is it was kind of short and no 2D sequel was made.

That's a good point. Going from "The Mayan Adventure" to "Pitfall 3D" was some BS. The only really cool thing about 3D is the fact that Bruce Campbell did the voice of Harry in that one. Other than that, the game kinda sucked ass! :ponder:

The people at Sega-16 would seem to agree with you.

It's a solid addition to the Pitfall Legacy. It's as good a platformer as I can picture in the crowded platformer market at the time. It uses great animations (like Prince of Persia), really strong graphics, and some interesting enemies to set itself apart while simultaneously being a very fun game. I just blew another hour on it and I'm certainly enjoying it. The fact that the original pitfall is included is also a great addition to the package (although I haven't found it yet). As far as moving Pitfall to the next generation goes, I don't see what else Activision could have done better,

The animation is great, and the game is fun, but there's something about the controls I just hate...

I can understand where you're coming from as this used to bother me just a little bit, not much, but enough to not want to play a lot (at a time). Then i played it with my MAS Arcade Stick and :-o OMG!!! the controls... :lust: ! A good friend of mine played Pitfall with the Jag's Joypad and thought it was good. Then he played using the MAS Arcade Stick and i couldn't get him off the game! :D For anyone that has the chance to test this out with any type of Arcade controller on the Jaggy then i strongly suggest you give it a go, you'll be quite surprised what a difference it will make!

Btw, after i got my MAS controller and tested out many of the games with it, i found some games (more than others) benefited GREATLY from playing with an arcade stick! The ones that seemed to most benefit with it are:

:arrow: Defender 2000

:arrow: Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

:arrow: Protector

:arrow: Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy (OMG!!!! THIS GAME ROCKS WITH AN ARCADE STICK!!! I'M TOTALLY ADDICTED! :love: )

:arrow: Ultra Vortek