IGNORED

List of NON-USA exclusive MEGA-CD games that Sega CD (USA) players can still play or are just cool to load up.

seastalker

If going by the latest Hyperspin Hyperlist, the current Sega CD game count is:

Sega CD   TOTAL GAMES: 171      1.20    3/06/2016

They use the method of complete USA rom lists, then any Europe region games exclusive from the USA ones, and lastly the Japanese ones that are either in English or fully playable without needing to know Japanese.  Finding reliable Mega-CD images has been tricky, and harder still is finding a good list of European and Japanese titles to add to a Mega-SD. I don't intended to get a complete set of Japanese Cd games I'll never be able to play, but somewhat Smokemonster inspired,  some may be fun for a variety or reasons, like different music, uncensored curiosity, missing or extra scenes, etc.  what I have so far:

I made an Everdrive themed and named folder called:

"3 Sega CD & Mega-CD (JAPAN)" 

Which currently has: Annett Futatabi (Japan), Egawa Suguru no Super League CD (Japan), Final Fight CD (Japan) (Rev A), Heavy Nova (Japan), Sangokushi III (Japan), and Sonic The Hedgehog CD (Japan)

I am also sifting thru temp folders to decide on naming and file structure and have some of these:

Surgical Strike (32X) (USA)  (finally got hold of the Sega CD 32x one)

EUROPE:

Bloodshot (1995)(Acclaim)(EU) [T-88045-50]  [Also called "Battle Frenzy"]

JAPAN:

Cyborg 009 (1993)(Riot)(JP) [T-49054]

Devastator

Dynamic Country Club - 3D Golf Simulation (1993)(Sega)(JP) [G-6017]

EARNEST EVANS_JP

F1 Circus CD (1994)(Nichibutsu)(JP) [T-71014]

Game no Kandume - Sega Games Can Vol.1 (1994)(Sega)(JP) [G-6032]

Game no Kandume - Sega Games Can Vol.2 (1994)(Sega)(JP) [G-6033]

Night Striker (1993)(Taito)(JP) [T-11014]

NINJA WARRIORS

Pro Yakyuu Super League CD (1992)(Sega)(JP) [G-6010]

Sengoku Denshou (1993)(Sammy)(JP) [T-24034]

WonderMega Collection (Bundled with Victor WonderMega RG-M1) (1992)(Victor)(JP) [T-60064-10]

OTHER:

Battle Frenzy (2003)(Good Deal Games)(US) - [0]

BATTLETECH - Gray Death Legion (2007)(Good Deal Games)(US)

Bug Blasters - The Exterminators (2000)(Good Deal Games)(NTSC)(US)(Track 1 of 2)  [Shows as 'The Exterminators']

Burning Fists (USA) (DW0298)

Citizen X Beta (2002)(Good Deal Games)(US)

Marko (2003)(Good Deal Games)(US)

Star Strike (2000)(Good Deal Games)(US)

UNRELEASED:

Battle Frenzy (USA) (Unreleased) (DW0103)

Bug Blasters (USA) (Unreleased) (DW0204)

Burning Fists (USA) (DW0298)

Citizen X (USA) (Unreleased) (DW0102)

Marko (USA) (Unreleased) (DW0104)

Star Strike (USA) (Unreleased) (DW0230)   

PROTOTYPES:

Johnny Mnemonic (Disc 1 of 2) (USA) (Proto) (DW0292)

Johnny Mnemonic (Disc 2 of 2) (USA) (Proto) (DW0292)

SUPER_STRIKE_TRILOGY

Sonic CD 920 (USA) (Proto) (DW0187)

Audio Only or CD+G:

Hot Hits (USA) (DW0158)

Rock Paintings (USA) (DW0124)

NON-REVISED  [Earlier version of games that REDUMP likely omitted over revised versions]:

Amazing Spiderman (USA) (v0-199308) (DW0202)

Blackhole Assault (USA) (v0) (DW0247)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (USA) (DW0088)

Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia v2.01R (USA) (DW0236)

Eternal Champions (USA) (v0) (DW0234)

Sega Classics - 4-in-1 (USA) (v100) (DW0281)

Sewer Shark (USA) (v1-199210) (DW0228)

Any additions to what exists outside of the REDUMP sets are welcomed, be they edutainment titles, foreign language that is still easy enough to play, or even games like Snatcher where if you beat the game in English, you might play other regions to see the edits or bonus material.

I'm guessing that this list is ignoring the fact that Sega CD/Mega-CD games are region locked.

Anyway, aside from the super-obvious Sonic CD, I know that Road Blaster FX, Rebel Assault, and Bari-Arm should be playable if you can't Japanese. I was quite surprised after I bought Japanese Rebel Assault to see the entire game is in English with MASSIVE Japanese subtitles that block like a third of the screen. Main menu is in Japanese. I can read it, but if you can't, you should be fine as long as you don't plan on changing anything in the options menu.

I forgot Silpheed. The entire game is in English with Japanese subs despite being a Japanese game. This one is really cheap and you can easily find this for about 2000 yen, and it's also a good shooter with cool graphics for a home console at the time.

...and I missed where you are using a MegaSD, so don't worry about region lock. All of these got international releases as well, and obviously Rebel Assault is a US game anyway.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Road Blaster FX has different intro (Japanese). Never played US Silpheed, Bari-Arm, or the US not-Mac version of Rebel Assault, so I can't say about those... although I can't say I recommend playing Rebel Assault at all on consoles. Need Mac/PC + joystick to actually have fun. I think Bari-Arm's title is different in the USA, though.

BIG UPDATE:

Smokemonster just updated his Everdrive Packs Lists to now include Sega CD (also new is Atari Jaguar!) that has a slew of homebrew, UNL, and more. Some interesting finds.  I found the titles ORGanized on a certain ARCHIVE.

It seems to me anyway, that the Sega CD list is a WIP. Maybe he just chose a simpler folder structure than the usual "1 US - A-Z" "2 Europe - A-Z" "2 Japan - A-Z" "2 World - A-Z" method.

Maybe consider a re-purposing of this thread to be a discussion of the SM list.

Other notes: 

MegaSD MD+ Nice!  I wasn't aware of Golden Axe Symphony MD+ or Ys III - Oath in Felghana MD+.  Outrun is an odd one. Before this list I had the Pezz82 ones from his former video:

Outrun + 1986 Arcade Colours  [original arcade soundtrack with arcade colors]

Outrun + 1986 MD Colours     [original arcade soundtrack with MD colors]

Outrun + 2 Arcade Colours    [New arrangement soundtrack with arcade colors]

Outrun + 2 MD Colours        [New arrangement soundtrack with MD colors]

Smokemonster's does NOT include those, but DOES include:

OutRun Arcade OST & Pyron Color Restoration MD+  [This seems to be a TOO QUIET version of the above 'New arrangement soundtrack with arcade colors']

OutRun Arranged MD+  [This seems to be a TOO QUIET version of the above 'New arrangement soundtrack with MD colors']

I had worked on the MD+ version of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker [see link here], and shared it with a forum member. I may be wrong, but it looks like some if not all of it reflected in the newly listed:

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - Vocals MD+

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - Instrumental MD+  [not sure if I had any part of this one]

I had to get the audio balances just right and edit the intros to match the original game music. Basic stuff really, but I'm very happy if I did have a hand in helping others find new excitement in playing this game.  Note that both versions use Thriller for the graveyard scene, but the music test still displays as "Another Part Of Me" in the instrumental version and does say "Thriller" in the vocal version. I actually kept FOUR versions of moonwalker being variations of vocal versions and instrumental of both Thriller and Another Part Of Me. I'd be happy to offer them to Smokemonster or archivists.

Can someone explain to me why there is a 'Unworked Designs' folder that has seemingly duplicate copies of the two Lunar games, Vay and Popful Mail?

I have to try some, but I'm guessing the many Japanese games are here regardless of being able to play them if not knowing Japanese?

If someone is in touch with Smokemonster, please share the following. I may have found a few stragglers that may have been omitted from his Sega Cd list:

Sega Classics Arcade Collection 4-in-1 (USA)   [the 5-in-1 version is included, so this may be intentional, though Hyperspin included it]

@Multi-Disc: Supreme Warrior is available as:

Supreme Warrior (USA) (Disc 1)

Supreme Warrior (USA) (Disc 2)

Supreme Warrior (32X) (USA) (Disc 1)

Supreme Warrior (32X) (USA) (Disc 2)

Also, to all, please note that you may find that Fahrenheit (Disc 1) (USA) may be found combined in:

Fahrenheit (USA) (32X CD).zip

12 hours ago, seastalker said:

Can someone explain to me why there is a 'Unworked Designs' folder that has seemingly duplicate copies of the two Lunar games, Vay and Popful Mail?

Those are hacks of Working Designs games (get it?) that change the insane US difficulty levels back to the more sane Japanese originals, without changing the translations.

20 hours ago, Asaki said:

Those are hacks of Working Designs games (get it?) that change the insane US difficulty levels back to the more sane Japanese originals, without changing the translations.

Ah, that does make sense. Smoke put them in their own folder instead of under hacks so I was trying to figure out their special uniqueness. 

Final Fight CD (Japan) [(Rev A) or otherwise] seems to have been omitted in favor of the color restored/arcade hack version

On 3/1/2020 at 8:11 PM, Asaki said:

I made my own Unworked ISO using the patch and the Redump version of Eternal Blue which I am playing via MiSTer. I use one of the region free hacks of a US model 2 BIOS. It's a *very* enjoyable game so far, not nearly as frustrating as the original (which I abandoned once I figured out just how much it was costing me to save frequently). I just got to Pentagulia for the first time, so I'm not very far in, but I love the original balance.

It's a shame WD had to go eff it up so badly just because they thought people might return it because some shops had liberal return policies. Had I gotten this version of the game in 1995 I might have returned it for not being very fun. 

Edited by derFunkenstein