IGNORED

Looney Tunes Hotel

Tempest

I've done my write up on Looney Tunes Hotel, but I still can't figure out the point of the game:

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/l...looneytunes.htm

Does anyone know who programmed it or what the point is? I assume it's just very incomplete, but it would be nice to know if you can advance levels.

Tempest

Perhaps somebody that knows assembly would be able to tell if there is code that is not accessed yet in the game (I somewhat do, but the only way that I've ever been to fully understand routines is by tracing and hacking around existing routines to discover what they do). By the screenshots, I'd imagine that this is pretty much the idea of the game...to open all of the doors that Elmer is likely to touch. Maybe finding a certian door switches to the next level (which hadn't been implemented yet)?

Anyway, excellent review...it's pretty easy to imagine how the game functions (as it is) with the descriptions you list. :)

BTW the "hotel"-type cartoons featured Porky Pig and Daffy Duck IIRC...I wonder why those characters were not used instead? Perhaps that is why the game was shelved as it was? Or just shelved to work on titles that had more hype attached to them...and then abandoned after being sold by Warner Communications (which would mean that they would have to buy the rights to what was previously free)?

heh here is one review for Hotel Mario

Here’s a Mario game you may not have heard of. Only available for the CDI, Hotel Mario is more like an old-school platform game than a tradition Mario romp. Each stage is a single screen in size, and the object is to close all the doors on the screen. Each “hotel” consists of five platforms, and elevators allow you to move between floors. You’ll encounter all sorts of familiar adversaries that patrol each level.

Like any Mario game, there’s plenty of jumping, but the doors provide some additional strategy since you can hide behind them. Which is critical, because there are some really annoying creatures (like the caterpillar) that you’ll want to avoid altogether. The graphics are fine but nothing spectacular. Each level is introduced with a low-budget cartoon cinematic. Upbeat music plays constantly throughout the game and it starts to get annoying before long.

Hotel Mario is easy to learn but supremely difficult. Although there are seven hotels, each has ten stages that all look and play pretty much the same. You feel like you’re playing the same thing over and over. It’s no classic, but if you’re looking for arcade action for your CDI, you could do worse.

1 or 2 players

Well I'll be damned! I swear I tried that once and it didn't do anything. Thanks for solving that mystery! I figured it might be something like that and even mentioned Hotel Mario in my review. Time to fix it...

Anyone know a good way to avoid Sam's bombs? You can hide behind doors beut that takes too long and the bombs roll too fast at the higher levels. I can't make it past level 6 or so.

Oh and I found Taz. He hides in doorways starting on level 3.

Tempest

Well I'll be damned!  I swear I tried that once and it didn't do anything.  Thanks for solving that mystery!  I figured it might be something like that and even mentioned Hotel Mario in my review.  Time to fix it...

Anyone know a good way to avoid Sam's bombs?  You can hide behind doors beut that takes too long and the bombs roll too fast at the higher levels.  I can't make it past level 6 or so.  

Oh and I found Taz.  He hides in doorways starting on level 3.

Tempest

Yeah, it looks like Hotel Mario stole the idea. Or maybe it was the same guy who programmed both of them. 8)

I haven't figured out a good way to avoid Sam's bombs either. It's mostly just run when you see him coming. And Taz is a real pain too!

I get the feeling that the longer that you don't complete a level, the less chance you have of winning it. Elmer just keeps opening those doors. :(

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

By the way, what size is the ROM you have? I have seen two different ones floating around the web. Both of them are 32K even though the game is only 16K!

The one doesn't seem to work because its just the last 8K repeated four times. While the other one works, it is doubled in a strange way. The first 8K is doubled then the second 8K is doubled. Weird.

I cut down the second version to 16K and use that one. :)

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Ok here's my updated review.  Thanks for the help guys!

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/l...looneytunes.htm  

Tempest

Looks good. There is one partial sentence that seems to be missing a word or two. It says "Although this theory makes since evidence shows that development was stopped in mid March of 1983". I suspect there's a word missing before "since".

One funny thing. I never played Looney Tunes Hotel, but elements of it are somewhat similar to one of the levels Kevin Horton and I planned for our aborted ColecoVision game.