Questions about Naomi system in midway cabinet to play virtua tennis

easy_rider

Donor 2011, 2016
Reaction score
Questions about Naomi system in midway cabinet to play virtua tennis

I don't know much about the Naomi system but know it's a big white system with games you can put in.

I desire to use a midway mk style cab to run virtua tennis cart only.

I see I can get the system and cart for a decent price but how much more would I need to wire in the existing jamma hookups ??

Want to take this and turn it into this

7c2eeef1bb8f2d2d2c243acdfeb6029f.jpg
6bd91b98c6a7c455c06045b7a5f715d8.jpg

I don't know much about the Naomi system but know it's a big white system with games you can put in.

I desire to use a midway mk style cab to run virtua tennis cart only.

I see I can get the system and cart for a decent price but how much more would I need to wire in the existing jamma hookups ??

Want to take this and turn it into this

7c2eeef1bb8f2d2d2c243acdfeb6029f.jpg
6bd91b98c6a7c455c06045b7a5f715d8.jpg

So Naomi is JVS, like a more modern JAMMA. It outputs either in standard res or hi res, but looks much better in hi res (sometimes called VGA).

It needs to have some kind of I/O board, and some kind of sound amp to work and the cables to connect them. Any sound amp will work, you don't need any Naomi specific one. You need a Naomi JVS I/O board. If you have a JAMMA cab, there are Jamma to JVS boards and you plug in the JAMMA cable and get your controls from that. There are also JVS i/o boards that don't have a JAMMA connector and you just wire them up using whatever connector they have.

There are also combination I/O and sound amp units available.

My opinion is just grab one of the later "version 2" I/O units for that with the sound amp built in. It can do stereo output and is super easy to hook up. Pretty much plug and play. Second to that if you have a sound amp or just want to save a few bucks just get the stand alone Sega JAMMA to JVS adapter and use your own amplifier. Everyone loves the Capcom I/O but I don't think they're that great-small sound amp and they're mono only afaik. They're really expensive too.

http://sega-naomi.com/hardware.htm

You'll also need a power supply with 3.3V. The official Naomi power supplies work fine but if you can't find one you can use a computer ATX power supply and use/make an adapter, just make sure the 5V is close to 5V, some of them run too high of a voltage so can't be used since over 5.15v can damage the Naomi/cart.

On top of that you need a VGA cable, RCA Cables and a USB cable.

The capcom I/o board I believe will NOT work with power smash. I have virtua tennis and only a capcom I/o and sometimes it works, gets 30 seconds into a game and then dies; other times it just starts to black and never loads. I would look for a non capcom I/o board.

After research I found others have had a similar experience with the capcom Io and some of the sega titles.

To which I want to buy a non capcom Io board for those games myself.

Wow thanks guys for the info very helpful!!!

I've run the cartridge version of Virtua Tennis with Capcom I/O just fine. Sega also made a GD-ROM version, which my family's place had, that by virtua of the power configuration will not work with Capcom I/O, it was dedicated with JVS.

may have tried with one of those Sega JAMMA I/Os once too... been awhile.

Back