cuchitril

Spanish Mexico
How do you say in English "cuchitril"?
1609699670172.png

My try:
untidy room

• How do you say in English "cuchitril"?
    View attachment 51710
    My try:
    untidy room

WR ofrece:
    cuchitrilnm(lugar pequeño y sucio)hovel, shack n
    (figurative)hole-in-the wall n
    Vive en un cuchitril en el centro de la ciudad.
    He lives in a hovel (or: shack) in the center of the city.

Edito para agregar que ingresando "messy room" en el buscador de Google, obtengo imágenes similares a la que pusiste. Quizás pueda ser una traducción útil según el contexto.

Last edited:
    Maybe;

'I live in a den.'

(*) Merriam-Webster
    - Den

2: a small usually squalid dwelling

Definition of DEN

For most US English speakers, a den is a room of a house where there is a TV and bookshelves, like a small, informal living room or the home of an animal like a bear. There is a set phrase, den of iniquity, that refers to a place of immoral behavior, often of a sexual type. I would call the picture above a hovel or a dump. If it's just one room in a house and the rest of the house is well taken care of, I would say, "his room is a dump" but if that room is a standalone structure, then I would call it a hovel.

For most US English speakers, a den is a room of a house where there is a TV and bookshelves, like a small, informal living room

Ok, I won't argue with your interpretation... However, it is at odds with what the 'Merriam-Webster' entry says - and, as you know, it is an American dictionary.

In UK English, its meaning is somewhat different, according to the 'Collins';

(*) Collins Dictionary
    - Den

2. a small or secluded room in a home, often used for carrying on a hobby
    3. a squalid or wretched room or retreat
    4. a site or haunt
    - a den of vice

Den definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Last edited:
    How do you say in English "cuchitril"?
    View attachment 51710
    My try:
    untidy room

Are you talking about the type of place itself, or about how messy it is? If the latter, I might say "His room is a pigsty."

Ok, I won't argue with your interpretation... However, it is at odds with what the 'Merriam-Webster' entry says - and, as you know, it is an American dictionary.

Verona is right; a den in AmEn is a comfortable room that many American homes have. It is less formal than a living room, and has no bed. It may be used as an office, a family room, a study, etc.

When I look at the photo above, the first words that come to mind are dump, trashed, mess(y), or (pig)sty. I am not disagreeing with the Merriam-Webster definitions (see below), but rather letting you know how most people use the term in everyday conversation in North American English. :)

Definition of den

1: the lair of a wild usually predatory animal
    2 a (1): a hollow or cavern used especially as a hideout
    (2): a center of secret activity
    b: a small usually squalid dwelling
    3: a comfortable usually secluded room
    4: a subdivision of a Cub Scout pack made up of two or more boys
    5 British: a small structure built by children as a place to play, hide, or provide shelter

I am not disagreeing with the Merriam-Webster definitions (see below), but rather letting you know how most people use the term in everyday conversation in North American English.

Yes, ok... I appreciate your help.

I was just trying to point out the fact that this meaning (probably the British English one) is also included in the American dictionary.

If you look at the Cambridge entry for the term, it does indeed reflect your comments to the letter - I will give you that.

Verona is right; a den in AmEn is a comfortable room that many American homes have.

Well... You might perhaps want to qualify your comment.

She is 'right' only in part; just for American English. But not for BE.

Last edited:
    Back