Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UFOAI- Open Source Xcom Clone  (Read 2397 times)

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
UFOAI- Open Source Xcom Clone
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:31:13 pm »

Has any one played this game? Its a fanmade version of the original Xcom with 3D graphics via the Quake 2 Engine.

Sadly they cant make destructible terrain work other than windows.

http://ufoai.org/wiki/News

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UFOAI- Open Source Xcom Clone
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:35:59 pm »

yeah i have , progress is steady its an interesting game

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 08:46:50 pm »

Yeah. I think there was a thread floating around here somewhere, but it'd be old enough that a new thread probably isn't too bad of an idea.

I found it fun, if a little slow. Grab the trunk version if you can. Development and releases are slow as hell, but usually there's some nice features in the trunk.

2.5.something has some good balance fixes, including weapons and encumberance effects (no more do-everything-including-medic soldiers). There's also a slightly different tech tree, probably more balanced. It's harder, strength stats mean a lot more (and you'll want to train it by carting heavy stuff around, which is sort of weird with the encumberance system trying to make you *not* do that) and weapons/skills are better balanced. Sort of.

Not sure if they've fixed late-game TUs and reaction fire on the aliens, but it makes small/quick weapons still have some relevance. I actually like the weapon balance in that even older weapons still have a use and a small upgrade path (although some are completely irrelevant in late-game due to armour and resistances). Combined with encumberance and skilling, it makes your snipers good at sniping, assaults good with assault weapons, but excellent soldiers can still multi-role a bit (or be levelled into it). Many weapons are side-grades rather than clear upgrades, with different features or uses than just bigger damage. Resistances come into play as well, but you probably won't ever hit a tech-gap that rocket launchers, grenade launchers and sniper rifles can't just manage to get around until you catch up in that area. Heavy armour and resistances do make basic small arms redundant though.

Aircraft and the weapons/systems for them are your only major tech stumbling block, so research them ASAP (like any xcom game).

All-in-all a fun if somewhat slow to play game.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:03:16 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:38:37 pm »

There's plenty of let's plays on youtube of the game for those that are bewildered at the start. The first "5 minutes" of game-time always take ages of real-time as you setup your base, sell/buy/equip equipment, setup radar towers, hire/fire staff, etc. This is a pretty common thing in all xcom games. Save just after this so you don't have to do it all again.

Try starting somewhere in China (around the mountains), with a ufo yard right beside your main base. Then save.

Then practice putting radar towers in locations that cover large areas, financiers, but with quite a bit of overlap. You can cover a lot of Europe, the Middle East, some of Africa and Russia from there with only two/three of them. Once you're happy with what you've learnt, save again. You may have done a mission or 4 by the time the radar towers are up, but look at this as your default start. It will save you a hell of a lot of time.

Then have fun. When I first started out, having a couple of default start saves made the game immensely more enjoyable for me. No one likes wasting their first 30 mins of real-time just to start a new game.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:40:56 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 10:11:53 pm »

Unlike xcom I do not think America gives more money, Im not sure how thats calculated

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 10:23:13 pm »

Post GFC. With an alien invasion that wiped out their military-industrial complex. Plus, they joined up with Canada.

Mostly post GFC though.
It's a game. Have fun.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 04:49:33 am »

I love this, but I always end up losing the game due to a country withdrawing funding. I wish the pace was just a liiiiiiiiitle slower to allow me to explore the research trees a little.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:27:10 am »

Played the crap out of this years and years ago, but got increasingly frustrated with the dev team (nothing annoys me more than insisting a gamebreaking bug doesn't exist when it can be reproduced step-by-step and isolated to a specific section of code). I've been really hoping for a fork.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 12:10:54 am »

PTW

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 02:32:31 am »

I totally forgot about this game, I played this a few years ago.

I do remember it being rather easy after the first few squaddie-eating encounters, once you got some new guns and such the difficulty dropped off pretty rapidly.

There was also no win condition (or if there was, I never figured out how to get it) so after a while it just became an endless slog of mop-ups

I should probably give it another try, it was pretty fun and I would hope they've actually added a way to win by now.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 11:22:53 am »

I found that the advanced fighters you can get are really spaced too closely together. As soon as I built the first one , research was finished on the second...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 02:20:59 pm »

PTW
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One